The Cardinals officially announced all the moves swirling around over the weekend. Veteran free agent offensive tackle Pat McQuistan was signed to a one-year deal and reserve lineman Jeremy Bridges (thumb) was placed on injured reserve, ending his season. The team brought aboard outside linebacker Jamaal Westerman via waivers. And the practice squad is filled like this:
– LB Colin Parker
– CB Larry Parker
– DT Ricky Lumpkin
– TE Steve Skelton
– OLB Ricky Elmore
– T Steven Baker
– WR Gerell Robinson
– WR Isaiah Williams
Tags: Colin Parker, Gerell Robinson, Isaiah Williams, Jamaal Westerman, Jeremy Bridges, Larry Parker, Pat McQuistan, practice squad, Ricky Elmore, Ricky Lumpkin, Steve Skelton, Steven Baker
Posted in Blog | 41 Comments »
The key point anytime a team gets to the 53-man roster on final cuts is this: It’s never quite the final roster. That’s something to keep in mind when looking over the Cards’ cuts today, which leaves an unbalanced roster for now.
The team decided not to move tackle Levi Brown off of injured reserve, leaving 22 cuts to be made:
Injured reserve — RB Javarris James (knee), QB Rich Bartel (shoulder)
Waived-injured – LB Brandon Williams (shoulder), WR Stephen Williams (Achilles)
Released – CB Crezdon Butler, LB Antonio Coleman, S Blake Gideon, LB Clark Haggans, G Russ Hochstein, DT Ricky Lumpkin, LB Colin Parker, CB Larry Parker, WR DeMarco Sampson, TE Steve Skelton, RB Alfonso Smith, LB Quan Sturdivant, DE Ronald Talley, DE Everrette Thompson, TE Martell Webb, C Scott Wedige, WR Isaiah Williams, T D.J. Young.
So this is what we get out of this:
– The Cardinals cut Sampson and Stephen Williams, leaving five receivers and undrafted LaRon Byrd (pictured below) as No. 5.
– OLB Quentin Groves makes the cut but both Clark Haggans and Brandon Williams are out – you’d have to think another linebacker is on the way.
– Right now, the Cards have 11 defensive backs and nine offensive linemen, and you figure one or the other, if not both, will be trimmed down. All three OL draft picks are on the squad right now. The defensive backs will have to come down if you are looking for a place to cut to add at another position. In my guess at 53, I had guessed six WRs and eight OL, and the Cards took one from receiver to add to the line. And they took one of eight linebacker slots and added it to the 10 defensive back spots, so I was kind of close. We’ll see how it shakes out.
– Running back William Powell indeed makes the team too.
– This group probably won’t be the exact group that hits the practice field Monday. That’s the cold reality of the NFL.
Tags: Alfonso Smith, Antonio Coleman, Blake Gideon, Brandon Williams, Clark Haggans, Colin Parker, Crezdon Butler, D.J. Young, DeMarco Sampson, Everrette Thompson, Isaiah Williams, Javarris James, Larry Parker, Levi Brown, Martell Webb, Quan Sturdivant, Rich Bartel, Ricky Lumpkin, Ronald Talley, Russ Hochstein, Scott Wedige, Stephen Williams, Steve Skelton
Posted in Blog | 104 Comments »
The Cardinals brought in 16 players for tryouts this past rookie minicamp weekend. They decided to keep around four of them, including running back Javarris James. The other three were kicker/punter Ricky Schmitt, safety Eddie Elder and cornerback Larry Parker.
James, of course, is the cousin of former Cardinals running back Edgerrin James. Javarris played in 10 games for the Colts as a rookie in 2010, scoring six touchdowns, but was out of the league last year. With top running backs Beanie Wells and Ryan Williams on the mend from surgeries, the Cards needed another running back for offseason work. It will be interesting if James can perform well enough to make it to training camp.
Schmitt was actually with the Cards as an undrafted rookie back in 2007 before getting cut in training camp. He has since spent time with five other teams, including a pair of stints with the 49ers. Elder, from Arizona State, and Parker, from San Diego State, are both rookies.
The signings bring the Cards’ roster to a total of 89 now, with one spot left to get to 90. Certainly, the roster is not set in stone, and further player possibilities could mean that any of these players — or others already on the roster — could get released before the Cards even get to camp. For players on the fringe of the roster, this is always a fluid situation.
Tags: Eddie Elder, Javarris James, Larry Parker, Ricky Schmitt, Roster, undrafted rookie free agents
Posted in Blog | 18 Comments »