With Javarris James (abductor) ailing, Beanie Wells (knee) still on the PUP list and Ryan Williams — who rested Tuesday, sitting out practice as his rehab continues — still a question whether he will play Sunday in the Hall of Fame game, the Cardinals signed an extra back. Thomas Clayton, who has 29 yards on 15 carries in six career games with three teams, was inked Wednesday. The Cardinals also added guard Rich Ohrnberger, who was drafted by the Patriots in 2009.
To make room on the roster, the Cardinals released wide receiver Stanley Arukwe and waived-injured center Ryan Bartholomew.
Clayton was a sixth-round pick of the 49ers in 2007 out of Kansas State. He has spent time with the Browns, Seahawks and Patriots as well. I wouldn’t expect this to be any more than a let’s-get-through-the-next-game-or-two kind of move. Ohrnberger could be more intriguing given the uncertain depth on the interior line, but like Russ Hochstein, we’ll see how he fits in.
Tags: Beanie Wells, Hall of Fame game, Javarris James, Rich Ohrnberger, Ryan Bartholomew, Ryan Williams, Stanley Arukwe, Thomas Clayton
Posted in Blog | 21 Comments »
I’m not a big fan of doing any play-by-play or recaps of practice, because in the end, it just doesn’t matter. Each play is a snapshot, with little or no context. But, with the Red-White practice tomorrow — which will basically be a series of drives, offense versus defense, with play calls like it’s a game — the Cards worked on red zone and two-minute drills today. It provided some highlights.
– Tight end Rob Housler made a couple of nice catches at the back of the end zone, one time banging into the pad on the lower upright. Michael Floyd couldn’t haul in a high jump ball in the end zone, but later in the two-minute drill caught a pass while tippy-toeing toward the sideline. DeMarco Sampson beat Greg Toler in the end zone for a touchdown.
– But on the defensive side, Patrick Peterson broke up one pass over the middle, while Kerry Rhodes managed to control a bouncing, tipped pass to finally nab it for an interception.
– Interesting that, in the two-minute drill in the defense’s dime package, the defensive backs were Rhodes and Adrian Wilson at safety, and then four cornerbacks: William Gay, Peterson, Michael Adams and A.J. Jefferson. Toler worked with the second dime unit. It’s early, but these are the things you notice.
– The second unit of the offensive line during the two-minute drill were, from left tackle to right tackle, D.J. Young, Senio Kelemete, Ryan Bartholomew, Chris Stewart and D’Anthony Batiste. Eventually, Bobby Massie was put in at right tackle, Batiste slide to right guard, and Scott Wedige at center. I’ve said it a few times, but I think the wait for Massie to start will be awhile.
– Running back Alfonso Smith blew up linebacker Sam Acho on a block during the two-minute work. Smith has worked hard to earn a spot on the team, which I think is pretty assured at this point.
– If you are coming to the Red-White, don’t forget to come early. All the details are here, but last year, there were about 13,000 fans on hand.
Tags: Michael Adams, Adrian Wilson, Greg Toler, Kerry Rhodes, Alfonso Smith, A.J. Jefferson, training camp, D'Anthony Batiste, Patrick Peterson, Rob Housler, Sam Acho, DeMarco Sampson, D.J. Young, Ryan Bartholomew, Chris Stewart, William Gay, Michael Floyd, Bobby Massie, Senio Kelemete, Scott Wedige
Posted in Blog | 9 Comments »
The Cardinals added nine players to the offseason roster Wednesday, signing them to “futures” deals. That included six from the Cards’ practice squad: C Ryan Bartholomew, CB Korey Lindsey, DT Ricky Lumpkin, RB William Powell, TE Steve Skelton and LB Quan Sturdivant (WR Jaymar Johnson, the seventh member of the practice squad, was not signed).
The Cardinals also brought in three new players: G Chris Stewart, who spent a little time with the Jets last season;, pass-rushing linebacker Antonio Coleman, who spent time with the Bills and Giants (and is pictured below); and tight end Martell Webb, who was briefly with the Eagles, Jets and Bucs.
Tags: Antonio Coleman, Chris Stewart, Jaymar Johnson, Korey Lindsey, Martell Webb, Quan Sturdivant, Ricky Lumpkin, Ryan Bartholomew, Steve Skelton, William Powell
Posted in Blog | 17 Comments »
The Cardinals released DE Ronald Talley today to make room for RB Chester Taylor on the roster. Also officially announced were yesterday’s roster moves: Adding CBs Lindsey and Butler, cutting Spach and Sturdivant (Spach went to the Rams today, apparently).
The Cards also started building their practice squad: Holdovers CB Marshay Green, WR Isaiah Williams, T D.J. Young and DT Ricky Lumpkin, along with C Ryan Bartholomew (late of Baltimore) and WR Brandyn Harvey (late of the Falcons). Both were undrafted.
More after practice.
Tags: Brandyn Harvey, Chester Taylor, DJ Young, Isaiah Williams, Marshay Green, Ricky Lumpkin, Ronadl Talley, Ryan Bartholomew
Posted in Blog | 30 Comments »