The Cardinals still have not officially announced their full coaching staff, past the the three top assistants. Usually the team likes to wait until everything is finalized with everyone before putting out the full list, as opposed to putting it all out piecemeal. But that doesn’t mean word hasn’t gotten out here and there as coaches are at the Senior Bowl or talk to hometown newspapers or the like. So, from that, here are the names circulating in various spots:
– Wide receivers: Darryl Drake, long-time receivers coach for the Bears;
– Running back: Todd McNair, former USC running backs coach who played in the NFL and for Arians at Temple;
– Tight ends: Rick Christophel, who had been head coach at Austin Peay;
– Defensive line: Brentson Buckner, a former 12-year defensive lineman in the NFL in his first NFL job (he interned with the Steelers from 2010 to 2012, and Arians was there a couple of those years);
– Linebackers: Mike Caldwell, who had been on the Eagles’ staff with new DC Todd Bowles and played for the Cardinals in 1997;
– Pass rush: Tom Pratt, who has been working with potential draftees at IMG in recent years;
– Defensive backs: Nick Rapone, who had been DC at the University of Deleware and coached with Arians at Temple;
– Special teams: Amos Jones, who worked with Arians in Pittsburgh;
– Offensive quality control: Kevin Garver, formerly of Alabama.
There is also holdover coach Freddie Kitchens, who was coaching tight ends but now is expected to coach quarterbacks. Kitchens played quarterback at Alabama and was a senior starter there when Arians was offensive coordinator in 1997. There are other spots still open, too, obviously, as we wait for official word.
Tags: Amos Jones, Brentson Buckner, coaching staff, Darryl Drake, Freddie Kitchens, Kevin Garver, Mike Caldwell, Nick Rapone, Rick Christophel, Todd McNair, Tom Pratt
Posted in Blog | 90 Comments »