Q doesn’t want to be “stupid”

Posted by Darren Urban on September 11, 2009 – 12:33 pm

Anquan Boldin did some very light work on Friday, but his status for Sunday won’t be known probably until Sunday, both he and coach Ken Whisenhunt said. He’s feeling better and he did run full speed for the first time on the side. But he knows it’s better to miss this game than take a chance and miss four or five later.

“You don’t want to be stupid,” Boldin said about pushing it too hard.

“There’s improvement every day,” Boldin said, but he admitted he didn’t step it up Friday to do more. He said it “kills him” not to be able to do more in practice, “but you have to be smart about it.”

Rarely do players play when missing all week of practice — “Usually it’s hard to do that,” Whisenhunt said — and Boldin said he never has. But it’s been done. Whisenhunt used safety Adrian Wilson in the Buffalo game after missing all week last year and Wilson did make the big play when he knocked out Bills quarterback Trent Edwards. But Wilson was also very limited in that game, playing about six plays total.

Tags: , ,

22 Responses to “Q doesn’t want to be “stupid””

1. By steve on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

wow big boldin fan here just wondering if this is how q’s year is going to playout…maybe they should have traded him……i think it was clear that by not being named a team captain by his own teamates that he is no longer considered one of the core players…good thing i got another jersey this year..just need cromartie to play within himself and not just use his physical ability to get him out of trouble…after watching the superbowll several times now it was clear that cromartie got beat several times and was out of position on many others… back to q i see now why we kept so many wrs..

2. By Eric on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

Q is injured every year. I think he averages about 13 games a season. This year will be no different. I predict teams will be banging down the door to trade for Q by midseason. Teams like the Giants, Ravens, Bears, or any playoff contender with injured receivers.

3. By Jesus on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

Q misses games every year, whats new. has he played a full season? the guy is good, even with the games he misses he puts up good numbers for the year. its just not how we need to start the season we need everyone out there

4. By Greg on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

This re-occurring hamstring problem would be a major issue on other teams that don’t have the depth at receiver that the Cards do. Maybe Q should try staying in town over the summer and participate in the strength program and OTA’s. Whatever workouts he’s doing in Florida don’t seem to be helping him with this problem.

5. By Nesto on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

I think this is a way for Q to act up and get to play at the same time so he can work on his numbers this year and get a new contract somewhere else. I appreciate that the guy came back from a crazy injury but hasn’t been able to hold on to the ball every time he gets hit hard. I see a new era in football and dealing with pre-madonnas is going the way of the do do. Too much disruption in the locker room. Teams want to win, not deal with a player who thinks he is still in high school or the big man on the college campus and 20 million dollars isn’t enough for them. I wish I had your problems Q.

6. By azkards on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

Anquan is a “stud”, you all know it! Dude has played hurt, came back sooner than ANYONE would have. I love the guy and the way he plays the game. As far as contract issues…. over and done, he says he puts that thought away as soon as the season starts he just wants to play. So if the dude is hurt and can’t play, so be it, get healthy Q and come back on a rampage!
    Go Cards!

7. By catdaddy1 on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

I wish I had the contract he signed already; however; I don’t. So I am do another wish. and I will not play until I get it.

8. By Nate on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

Q is injured every year but his productivity and his stats show that he is a phenomenal football player. He’s tough and his injuries are short periods of time. He’s a great player and I’m glad that the Cardinals didn’t trade him or release him.

9. By Darog on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

I hope Q stays off the field until he’s fully recovered or he will re-injure his hamstring again. He has a history of hamstring injuries and it is something our team management should look at hard in keeping him for a longer contract, because he’s no good to us hurt, no matter how good or tough a guy he is. I wish I made the millions he makes sitting on the bench. Must be nice!!! Go Cards!!!

10. By gatorplaya on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

I’m reading a lot of ignorance up on here, but it’s all good. A couple people said something about him being injured. You try and cross the middle as much as he does and tell me if you stay healthy. Also we all know that he is worth much more that what he is getting paid. If any of you had the oppurtunity to get paid more at your current job, you would take it, so until you can honestly say you won’t, get off the mad!!! Let him continue to play and be one of the Core players on this team!!!! Trust me he will be good, he will play, and he will contribute big time to this team!!!

11. By Mike"PayQ" on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

It amazes me how ignorant people can question Boldin’s toughness or attitude. He was leading the NFL is TD’s before getting his face caved in, missed 2 games, came back and scored 2 TD’s in his 1st game back. He does get hurt because unlike some receivers he runs through guys, and over them, instead of running out of bounds.

12. By aaaaudio on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

Q is human and Larry gets hurt to as well as Breaston. Q is just super hi profile and we as fans love his heart. Give a brother a break here. I would love to have Larry and Q for 5 more years.

13. By steve on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

i hope so….

14. By throwit2q! on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

Q will continue to have these hamstring issues until he has surgery on his hip. This has been an ongoing problem since the Baltimore game 2 years ago. It doesn kinda make me think that this may have an impact on his contract. We all understand he’s good for 13 games a season. You can’t give him Fitzy money if you are certain he will miss at least 3 games a season. We love having him. Do we need him? Remember the Carolina game? Anyhow, GO CARDS!!

15. By yon on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

Q is a saint compared too pre Madonnas like TO. to say he is similar is just ignorant.

he is a team player and his actions speak the truth, without him saying a word

go cards!

16. By yon on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

i would rather Q sit two more games than get more hurt. the cards even without Q, still have the best and deepest receiver core in the NFL.

no worries

go cards!

17. By Eazy E on Sep 12, 2009 | Reply

Anquan is a beast! He will probably play, but i’d rather him not play than risk it and possibly miss 2,3,4, games.

18. By nor cal cards fan on Sep 12, 2009 | Reply

what is Q’s deal? if he cant stay healthy get rid of him.

19. By nor cal cards fan on Sep 12, 2009 | Reply

Now that i’ve had a little time to calm down after initially reading this blog, i admit i let the emotions get the best of me when i made that comment about getting rid of Q.I really don’t want the cards to get rid of Q, he has been the cornerstone of this franchise since 2003 and he’s a warrior everytime he steps on the field.You gotta love and respect the guy for that.But l know i’m not the only one out there who is so sick and tired of Q’s hamstring issues.It’s NEVER ENDING WITH Q AND HIS HAMSTRING.If he can’t play in the season opener, thats gonna be so dissapointing.DARREN-can u shed any light on the situation?why is it his hammy is always hurt?He missed a playoff game last year because of it, then mini camp,now the last two weeks of practice and preseason games.He’s been resting it since Aug.25, and he still might not be able to go on Sunday?He has also missed several games throughout his entire career because of it.Is the hamstring PERMANETLY DAMAGED? Does he need surgery or what, because obviously the recovery methods he’s been using haven’t been working.Sometimes you have to wonder if his hamstring ”injuries”[Coach Whiz once reffered to them as ”seasonal” injuries] would suddenly dissapear if he got that fat contract.Perhaps we’ll never know.I’m sorry for the negativity,but i’m just a really frustated Q fan right .GO CARDS! SMASH THE NINERS!

20. By darrenurban on Sep 12, 2009 | Reply

Nor cal —

I don’t know if there is light to be shed. Boldin is hurt. This isn’t contract related, although after what happened at minicamp, I can’t blame anyone who wonders. But Boldin is definitely hurt. We don’t know how serious it is. Part of the NFL is sometimes never knowing exactly how much a player is hurt; we don’t know exactly what the MRI said or how long doctors said he would be out when it first happened. Of course it is frustrating as a fan but the team isn’t going to let a player possibly hurt himself worse by playing. Boldin has had hamstring issues for a while in his career. It might be something he is genetically forced to fight against. But I promise he wants to play. He knows it doesn’t do anyone any good for him to sit games in the regular season, including himself.

21. By nor cal cards fan on Sep 12, 2009 | Reply

Darren-I appreciate the feedback,thanks for taking the time.The new site looks great by the way.I’m a life long die hard fan and have been reading your articles for years.I believe u when you say if Q can go,he’ll go.I just hope he plays,i think it could be the difference between us winning or losing the game.

22. By gatorplaya on Sep 13, 2009 | Reply

darren-

I can tell you that tight hamstrings are issues in the family…that’s all I can tell ya on that!!!