With his hits, A-Dub doesn’t know what else to do

Posted by Darren Urban on September 14, 2009 – 3:23 pm

Adrian Wilson was smiling a bit today, but it was a wistful kind of a smile. He didn’t want to be talking about his hit on 49ers tight end Vernon Davis Sunday. He got the flag for unnecessary roughness, but whether he will get suspended – or whether he even deserved a flag ….

“I’m a ballplayer, man,” Wilson said. “The rules are what they are, but at the end of the day, you want to be a football player. You want to do what’s best to try and disengage the ball. It’s a funny rule, but we as players, or defensive backs, or safeties, really, we have to deal with the rule.”

He makes a good point, since it is safeties that are most affected. Wilson got nailed in 2007 when he hit tight end Todd Heap in Baltimore – but was later told it wasn’t a penalty, at least at that point – and now this. His choices are to let the player catch it or not. In the end, if the other team is going to get 15 yards anyway, maybe letting them catch it is worth it.

“I won’t change nothing whatever,” Wilson said, and then added, “It’s an offensive league. Anything they are going to do to give the offense an advantage, they are going to do. As a defensive player, once again, we have to deal with the rule changes and do our best, to, I don’t know. I don’t know what I am supposed to do or what any player put in that situation is supposed to do. I’m just trying to continue to play the way I play.”

Coach Ken Whisenhunt said when he looked at the play on tape, Wilson tried to hit Davis in the chest.

“I certainly understand player safety and what (the NFL) is trying to do,” Whisenhunt said. “I believe, in watching Adrian and him trying to lean in with his shoulder instead of leaning in with his head, he was trying to do the right thing. I really didn’t put much thought into it on the field yesterday. Hopefully it won’t be an issue (with punishment).

“If you look at the play where Anquan got hit last year, it is two different type things.”

WilsonHitBlog

Tags: , ,

13 Responses to “With his hits, A-Dub doesn’t know what else to do”

1. By azkards on Sep 14, 2009 | Reply

“A-DUB” = great player! Nothing dirty about the way the dude plays the game. I hate to see anyone get hurt, but this is a contact sport. I felt the call was bad, I think he lead with his shoulder. #24 has had a history of playing all out and I hope he keeps it up!
    Go Cards!

2. By Jerry Wayne on Sep 14, 2009 | Reply

Looked clean to me!!

3. By Matt on Sep 14, 2009 | Reply

any truth to people telling me he was fined 100 thousand dollars? my friend said he heard that on 910.

4. By Cards24fan on Sep 14, 2009 | Reply

he didn’t lead with his head, he hit Davis with his shoulder. it was a lousy call and they need to look into that being a reviewable call especially since a player can be suspended a game.

keep on keeping on Adrian!!

5. By azcardsr4life on Sep 14, 2009 | Reply

Well the game got softer, but at least Wilson knows the risk of waiting till the ball is caught. What else do they expect you to do, wait until a receiver spins around you and then carefully tackle him by your shoulders. This rule asks defense to slow down and manage how they hit a player and then we would be watching Wilson stand there and wait till the pass is caught and for me I don’t think there is anything painful than watching Wilson grab receivers legs and shoelaces for a tackle. The way Wilson and Polomalu accustomed to is throw themselves fast before the player has a chance to see them get there like in a short throw to RB or WR. But to do that they throw themselves straight forward with their helmet in front of them and it doesn’t matter how the hit ends up, helmet to helmet or not, they have to make that kind of plays. I don’t think any of us (cardinals fan) should knock Wilson for penalties like that because Wilson wouldn’t be Wilson. We should also keep in mind that, the off sides Dockett and Wilson come across is pretty normal if it happens like once or twice in the entire game because without that Dockett wouldn’t be able to make his moves right when the ball is snapped. If you watched the game yesterday, you can pretty much tell Dockett got many of them right and put pressure in the backfield because of that. If I am going to blame anyone, it would be Levi Brown. DE Harlson wasn’t that good but Brown just got beat by speed which I hope is not a concern because if you can’t keep up with a DE and get beat more than 5 times in the game and then we have a big problem.

6. By Cameron on Sep 14, 2009 | Reply

im not even sure what they were trying to say he did wrong he didnt lead with his helmet and he waited till davis touched the ball it seems to me like they punished him for a great play. I hope they dont fine him he did everything he could to follow the rules and still get the ball out. Great job.

7. By catdaddy1 on Sep 14, 2009 | Reply

it looked just like the hit on Urban in the 4th , only difference was Urban hung on . Good hit Dawg, Great “D”, great focus. Play a little Offence for us Dawg.

8. By Cards on Sep 14, 2009 | Reply

Its really ridiculous that we are expecting in the heat of battle to stop, review and the react to a play that only lasts a split second. There was no intention of A_dub trying to take his head off. The best example of that was when Boldin was truly hit the wrong way and the spirit of the rule should be relayed to the refs. Maybe a review from the booth. You know another delay in the game.

9. By Rugbymuffin on Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

It is football for Pete’s sake. While I understand player safety, they are playing a game in which there is a constant underlying agression. People are going to get hurt. It is part of the game, like it or not.

10. By Joe on Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

I think people are ignorant of the new rule this year. It’s not hitting the guy before the reciever touches the ball( that’s pass interferance). The new rule is you have to let the reciever touch the ground with both feet before you hit him.
    It was a penalty according to that rule. The question is whether he had helmet to helmet contact and is subject to a fine or suspension or both. Looks to me like it was shoulder to shoulder contact but it was close. Adrian is a great player and does great things for this team but he needs to show more leadership and discipline and not hurt his team with stupid penalties.

11. By Jerry Wayne on Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

Weddle from the Chargers made almost the exact same type of hit last night against the Raiders and wasn’t called for anything. It looked like he broke that kids jaw and wasn’t flagged for anything.

12. By vsancards on Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

Whether Adrian got flagged or not is debatable. What was not debatable was the impact that hit had on the team and the crowd. It seemed like it got us out of a funk. Also, I don’t believe the 9ers even attempted a pass over the middle after that. So was the flag worth it? – I say yes.

13. By Andrew on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

nfl is getting too soft, how can they defend someone without delivering a blow? what if there are bigger tight ends and recievers that need a big hit to drop the ball…nfl needs to keep the physical game going otherwise we will see alot of high scoring games