On the run, Whiz takes blame

Posted by Darren Urban on October 12, 2009 – 11:33 am

I’ll have more in a bit after open locker room availability, but coach Ken Whisenhunt said one regret from Sunday was not calling for more straight runs rather than a run/pass option. He was also clear when it came to Kurt Warner’s choices to check into passes — as opposed to sticking with the run himself — no one should point the finger at the quarterback.

“Don’t put that on Kurt, put that on me,” Whisenhunt said, adding that Warner has to go to a pass if the defense dictates it. “He’ll get yelled at if he runs the ball into an eight-man front,” Whisenhunt said of the run/pass check plays.

Tags: ,

17 Responses to “On the run, Whiz takes blame”

1. By Ditship on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

It’s a strange thing to keep passing heavy when you’re up 21-0 at the half playing against one of the worst run Defences in the league. Especially when you have an untested rookie who could really use some actual game time. That was a strange game. I’m happy Kurt got his 50th 300 yard game but I think that milestone almost cost us a victory.

2. By Eyeshield21 on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

It is really frustrating that we only attempted to run the ball twice in the whole 2nd half. We could have killed precious clock time and the game wouldnt have been as close as it was. Especially after the D made their 4 and out stand against the Texans in the 3rd quarter. We could have just ran the clock out there too by mixing up the play calling with runs and passes. But no, we came out pass happy and it nearly cost us the game.

The Defense saved this game for us because of our unwillingness to run the ball. Why did we bother drafting Beanie Wells…

3. By ben on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

Whiz takes blame every week. Bottom line he never does anything about it. Everyone watching that game thought it was a perfect time to get Beannie some quality gametime. Everybody except Kurt and Whiz. This taking blame crap is getting old. Whiz came out and said he was going to run the ball more this week and had what would be the best opp. to do so. Worthless time management and play-calling. Even going three and out running the ball would have taken more crucial time off the clock. What was the point of drafting Beannie, to save face and say we would try and run more? We should have just drafted another WR since that is all we are going to do. Whiz stinks at calling plays, and hits the big red panic button far too early and far to often.

Final guess:

We run the ball 10 times next week and Whiz comes out saying “Well it was a “line check” call and Warner called for a pass. I take full blame for that because I would rather leave it up to my pass happy QB to check out of it. But we will run the ball next week.

Urbans blog post next Monday:

Coach Whiz has come out and said that the Cards will run the ball more with Beannie. He said it with a glimmer in his eye and a chuckle.

Rinse and repaeat….

4. By dan on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

Well I cannot comprehend is what ever happen to a lead blocker in a run play ?

Someone to bust the hole before the RB .

I see all these stupid delay hand offs. How about a I with some lead blocking .

Another thing when you have a successful run come back with a play action pass …

I see it all the time in the NFL one good run and you see the team run agian.

A good run then play action when the defense assume
    you going to run the ball again.

Last I see Warner getting pressured in a game and I ask where the screen pass …

5. By Jcaswellsr on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

I’ve said in my circle of friends for a few years now Whiz out coaches himself. How come 3rd down passes never ever seem to go to Fitz, Boldin, Breaston? I know matches are nice but c’mon. Just move Boldin or Fitz into the slot or atleast to the 2nd read on the formation and throw them the ball.

Whiz is a terrible schemer and play caller. Just plain terrible. Warner is selfish in his play checks and the o-line is the worst in the league. Good job Grimm. LOL.

6. By Matt on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

I heard an interesting point about the Cards’ running game and Beanie Wells today that might explain why Beanie’s been such a non-factor in our game plan. Matt Williamson mentioned that Beanie doesn’t do much blocking, which means that when they put him out there, the opposing defense already knows that there’s a good chance that a running play is coming. I think it may be likely that Whiz is waiting to use Beanie until he he can help the offense without the ball in his hands. Perhaps we see a lot more Beanie midway through the season when he’s had some practice blocking rushers, much like DRC didn’t get huge time until Whiz thought he was ready to really help the team.

7. By Chris on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

Agreed – Beanie needs to be in for an entire drive and get the ball early and often. He has the power to pound the rock and the speed to break loose if the defense tries to arm tackle him.

8. By Eric on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

21 point lead. #1 draft pick RB. Only 4 run plays.

Whiz may be an okay HC, but he is a HORRIBLE OC.

I never thought I’d see Kurt Warner, Larry Fitzgerald, and Anquan Boldin get booed off the field at home. Never.

Thanks, coach.

9. By Patrick on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

ben, ben, ben ben,ben: Patience. Whiz is a man who has been to AND also taken us to the Promised Land.

I sat in the first row in the end zone and watched a defensive line of Branch, Watson, Docket, Robinson and Campbell stuff the Texans, a la the 49ers….and I can’t find the timerity to jump Whiz on the run offense. He will get it done. I was disappointed we did not win big going away. But I listened ot the post game on the drive home and listening to these guys, they expect more from themselves. This is still new territory, but listen to A-Dub, Calais, Carlos…we have a team with no i in it. That comes from the coach.

I listened to Whiz post game, and I felt a lot better about winning small, b/c we had GREAT moments in that game, ones I’ll remember for a long time. Coach does not get too high, or too low, he’s the even keel that will get us back to the Promised Land. In Whiz we can trust.

Btw, Beanie is a Monster…he will breakout when he get his feet under him. The running game will come…be patient. We can afford to.

10. By Big Red on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

You bunch of complainers, be greatful we finally have a coach that took us to the SUPER BOWL!!!!!! And will do again, maybe not this year but soon. Dam it! We’re still in the picture, let the men coach.

11. By Fernando on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

we need to use Beanie Wells more

12. By Big D on Oct 13, 2009 | Reply

you know what I dont mind beanie not getting the ball alot but stop trying to give hightower sweep plays let him run strait through the middle of the line hes good at that and it will also help to sell the play action just because a run dosnt gain yards dosnt mean its not working I think wiz needs to learn that

13. By SmoothcardGA on Oct 13, 2009 | Reply

Big Red-

Understand we all are grateful for the SuperBowl run, but we didn’t win and we’re coming out sluggish again and having the same inconsistencies as the last 2 years. We have a better division this year, in fact we’ve already lost one division game, and We’ve got a fairly brutal schedule. We can’t play like this and beat teams like CAR, CHI, NYG, MIN, SF, GB nor TEN. We won’t beat those types of teams just passing all the time and not burn the clock when we need to. The ground game has got to get going and that “take what the defense gives” mentality can get you in trouble from time to time. Last year when we were in post season form its because we made the defense play to us, not the other way around. Sometimes even if a team knows you’re going to run, you should still do it. because they’ll be more suspect to biting vs just passing all the time. I know we’ve got weapons on offense, but we’ve got to big downhill backs that can run very well between the tackles. And a oline that has run blocked very well when giving the chance to be maulers instead of dancers.

14. By Dirak on Oct 13, 2009 | Reply

You are mostly right, it was stupid, especially when we passed hard for 3 consecutive drives while leading. But the point is coach wants to give Kurt a Peyton Manning-style of play. I bet none of us could undermine Kurt and say “he can’t do it”. Kurt always assumes success passing which usually isn’t a consstent winning strategy. Let me clear the air though, when our defense played hard in the playoffs, our mixed run and pass plays were perfectly enough to keep us competitive. But when defense plays like in Colts game (which they usually do when playing big teams), we won’t have any chance of winning running the ball. The only reason we made the playoffs was because of the Pass, and now we are knocking Kurt for failing to do the same week in and week out. If Kurt retires and the defense stays inconsistent, you will know what exactly I’am saying. As flashy as using B. Wells sound for you fantasy freaks, the reality of the situation is we need Kurt to have his needs fulfilled to help us win and if I was the coach, I would take the blame to. Let’s not criticize the best thing we have on our team. Running the clock out is the issue here but don’t interperet that into the explanation of why we are letting Kurt call our run plays into pass. That’s was the center of the 2008 success. Congratulations Kurt on your milestone success and some of us will always appreciate what you brought to this team despite some insignifican failures. If it wasn’t for Kurt and Whiz, we could have never believed we could do it. I still think, Whiz should change the play calls. GO CARDINALS.

15. By Big Red on Oct 13, 2009 | Reply

He’s doing the same thing he did last year with Edge, he played him at the end of the year and he was fresh and strong. Then his gonna run his tail off. Go! Cards!

16. By bruce on Oct 14, 2009 | Reply

All these people who critize Warner’s play calls. Notice the offense was at its best when Warner ran the hurry up offense in the 2nd quarter Sunday calling the plays himself. The 2nd half play calls were basically check with me calls at the line based on the number of defenders in the box and Warner ran the offense as it is designed. 2 plays go the other way ( the drop by Urban and the mystery O. pass interference penalty on Becht, wiping out Fitzgerlads 24 yd. gain) and the game never gets close.

17. By sunday mwakyoma on Oct 15, 2009 | Reply

The key is defence we can pass and run as much as we want to but if we don’t defend it wont mean a thing.We good on run defence if the team stay consistent but the pass defence is not there yet despite DRC interception we have been dissected by all the QB`S so far.The offence will come along as we go the play calling got to change even though I trust the wiz.