Wilson gets his groove back

Posted by Darren Urban on October 14, 2009 – 9:51 am

Safety Matt Ware paused when he was told Adrian Wilson was crediting him for feeling more beat up this week. It’s not exactly the kind of thing you want a teammate to be saying about you necessarily. But A-Dub meant it as a good thing. Already coach Ken Whisenhunt had said the return of Ware from a shoulder injury would help Wilson. Then it played out that way Sunday.

“I was able to finally play a football game,” Wilson said Monday. “Every time I come in here Monday I feel like I haven’t played. I haven’t been sore. Today I’m kind of sore.”

The reasoning is simple: With Ware back, the Cardinals are comfortable using more of their multiple-safety packages in which Wilson stalks the line of scrimmage for the pass rush or run support rather than playing  back in coverage — a virtual outside linebacker in many ways. It’s where he likes to play the most and where he is most effective.

Whisenhunt said Wilson played one of his best games against the Texans, and it’s not a coincidence. Wilson was able to move around and be more physical (hence, the soreness. I jabbed Wilson a bit mentioning that maybe he was more sore because he was getting old — he turned 30 Monday. That got a smile but a definite denial).

Wilson emphasized he’s going to do what the team needs and he’s not looking to pad his stats (even though reaching the 20/20 mark is very important to him). That said, he thinks he can help the team a lot more if he can be used like he was Sunday.

“I had a talk with Billy D,” Wilson said of defensive coordinator Bill Davis. “We had an eye-to-eye. Whenever I am able to do (the various packages), I help the team out. They pay me a lot of money to make plays, so I want to do my part.”

AdubSoreBlog

Tags: ,

9 Responses to “Wilson gets his groove back”

1. By Rugbymuffin on Oct 14, 2009 | Reply

It is good to hear Wilson is starting to “feel it” again. Now we need some production. A couple of sacks (tackle the QB this time cause he missed in the picture above), and a couple INT’s.

This weekend would be a good time to see him awaken from his first quarter slumber.

2. By Jim on Oct 14, 2009 | Reply

I like Adrian Wilson, he is a leader and a team player. No BS from him.

3. By nor cal cards fan on Oct 14, 2009 | Reply

Hasselbacks ribs need to feel adrians presence.We need a sack or two from A.W. this week.Thats a good picture but unfourtunately he completely whiffed on that attempted sack/forced fumble and Schaub completed the pass.I’m glad he had an “eye to eye” with Billy D because he’s pretty much been a non-factor a quarter into the season. DRC stepped up last week now it’s A.W.’s turn! Go cards!

4. By Ralph on Oct 14, 2009 | Reply

Ya A Dub Is A Monster We Need Some Big Production From Him To Take The NFC West Again

5. By Patrick on Oct 14, 2009 | Reply

Big game Sunday. Read on azcental Seahawks down to 4th and 5th tackles? A-Dub, Bertrand may gets some stats in Seattle. If the Cards can play loose (per the Whiz), we can go to 3-2. And then we will welcome the challenge at NYG…ain’t football great?!

6. By Joe on Oct 14, 2009 | Reply

I want to see Hasselbeck running from A-Dub on Sunday.

7. By fitz 4 mt rushmore on Oct 14, 2009 | Reply

Time for some production AW!!! I like you as a player and what you bring emotionally to the Redbirds, but it’s time to earn that huge pay raise you received this offseason. Sunday would be a good start.

8. By tom manoogian on Oct 14, 2009 | Reply

it always seems to me when we blitz,first of all a qb will most times see it coming,i said MOST times,so if you are blitzing it is of utmost importance you get to the qb fast.if we blitz the middle it seems like we are just bunching up the middle,then the qb gets one on one and completion,maybe for big play.i dont’know why we don’t stunt when blitzing.if we stunt we see the open area (lane)and get a good shot to get to the qb.we put 7-8 in box,we just bunch up,just a lot of bodies together with no one getting thru,if the qb picks it up,it can cause real problems.we need to be a defense that keeps all teams guessing,the only way to do that is to be more creative,that my friends is the key word–CREATIVE–we have good players,let’s give them the best chance to suceed,that will give more confidence and keep other teams not knowing what’s going to happen.also,look at good cornerbacks,why would you play 15 yards off a receiver,unless you do not trust your ability,get up there,bump,play nose to nose,make the qb throw a perfect pass to complete,the window of completion goes way down when you are playing tight d on corners.big game this week,we know we can win so let’s get it done.

9. By Rob (SamuraiCard) on Oct 14, 2009 | Reply

I’d rather see AW looming over Hasselbacks writhing body after a trademark AW hit/sack -minus the penalty/fines of ocurse. I see AW with one sack and another close sack that will lead to either a DRC or Rolle pick six. Maybe it is the Kool-Aid I’ve been drinking, but it sure sounds good right?

Go Card!c I’ll be waking up at like 5 AM to watch the game here in Japan -if Game Pass isn’t screwed up again.