Q’s ankle and other Whiz tidbits

Posted by Darren Urban on October 19, 2009 – 11:45 am

— Coach Ken Whisenhunt said there wasn’t much new on the status of WR Anquan Boldin. Boldin’s ankle was X-rayed and it wasn’t broken, and after that it’s just about how Boldin progresses during the week. Whisenhunt did insist again Boldin came out to help his chances of playing against the Giants rather than Boldin’s inability to stay in the game.

— Whisenhunt definitely enjoyed the opening drive, when the script went totally to play. Whisenhunt, a “Seinfeld” fan, said it was like the episode when Elaine talked about driving so well she said “it was like I was seeing five or six moves ahead.” (I spent way too much time on the Internet trying to find the clip so I could link to it. No dice. Let me know if you can find it). Same deal for Whiz. “It’s almost like you can’t get the play out fast enough.”

(Thank you my readers. Here is the audio version of the Elaine clip, from the episode “The Busboy.” Turns out she said she only was seeing “three and four moves ahead. So Whiz is that much better, right?)

— Speaking of foretelling, I asked Whisenhunt if making rookie safety Rashad Johnson inactive for the first time was simply a numbers game. He said yes, then jokingly added “I knew Greg Toler was going to recover the mortar kick.” (Toler was in instead of Johnson). Now that really would have been seeing five or six moves ahead.

— Finally, on the end of the first half, when the Cards had three time outs left but didn’t use them until time had almost expired, which seemed to cost the Cards a chance at getting into good field-goal range. Whisenhunt admitted he made a mistake there, but he felt the Cards had a better shot at a big play had Kurt Warner run a play at the line of scrimmage with the clock running rather than let Seattle have a time out to regroup and set a defense.

11 Responses to “Q’s ankle and other Whiz tidbits”

1. By Andy on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

Hey Darren, the episode of Seinfeld that Whis referenced is titled “the Busboy”.

Also, could you please point me to your e-mail? The computer I had our interactions on crashed and I haven’t tried to get that hard drive integrated on my new system yet. For some reason, I’m looking right past the link on the site that has your e-mail.

-Andy

2. By tom manoogian on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

–great game from start to finish,but i have to admit the more i see of breaston,the more i think it would not be that bad to trade q,considering he will never play a full season.if someone made us a great deal to instantly improve our team,i would pull the trigger in a heartbeat.that being said,great team effort and if you start getting a little cocky,just a little,someone please call the eagles,that will put an end to that.GREAT WIN,SAME EFFORT THIS WEEK,LAST YEAR’S GAME WAS JUST THAT,LAST YEAR.GO CARDS

3. By Brad on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

Darren, it’s from the ep where she has to get her boyfriend to the airport and almost makes it, getting stuck on the van wyck expressway…”they say nobody’s ever beaten the Van Wyck…and if it hadn’t been for that seven car pileup he’d be on an airplane right now instead of looking for a parking spot.”, or something like that…it was there that she was seeing 5 moves ahead

4. By darrenurban on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

Andy and Brad —

Thanks for helping me out on the Seinfeld thing. I’m a huge fan, but I couldn’t narrow it down.

Andy, I need to start putting my e-mail back in the stories so it’s easier to find. It got lost in the translation to the new site. But as always, anyone can reach me at askdarren@cardinals.nfl.net.

5. By Ralph on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

Lets Go To New York & Knock Those Giants Down To Size Like The Saints Did We Can Do It Too.Our Defence Is More Aggresive Than The Saints.We Cant Let Another Manning Tear Us Apart Wether We Give Up A Play Lets Keep Hitting Eli Into The Dirt.Blitz Him All Day.

6. By Jordan on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

I just saw this on PFT

cleanface says:
    October 19, 2009 3:32 PM
    The Jerk Store called and they’re all out of Todd Haleys.

7. By Beauchamp on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

Boldin will be critical to having a chance to beat the Giants. If he were to be unable to play, but kept active taking up a vital spot that could really hurt us. Darren what do you think about the poor banged up secondary of the Giants is there a chance we don’t just win, but we dominate much like the saints. I know our O-line play has been much maligned in the media and the Saints’ praised, but we did almost beat the 49ers, we do always start slow, and the Saints haven’t faced a healthy Mathis and Freeney. I’m just worried that our line w/ make career days for Usi and Tuck. What do you think?

8. By darrenurban on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

Beauchamp —

I have learned after covering the league for so many years that there is usually a chance for almost any scenario. I’d like the chances of the one you suggest better if the game was in Glendale and not a night game in 40 degrees in New York. You have to be concerned about the Giants getting a pass rush with only four guys, but don’t forget the Cards scored 29 on the Giants last year. It was the defense and special teams that had a rough day a year ago.

9. By Big Red on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

What in the world are you thinking Tom, there is no way Breaston can over take the Q. Breaston is good but nopro bowler yet. A couple of games doesn’t mean his better than Q. Pay #81 thats what the brass needs to do, period.

10. By Mario Rivera on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

Right on Big Red. Breaston’s good but Q’s one of the main reasons the Cardinals are where they are now. Get that bill fold out and like the movie said “SHOW ME THE MONEY!” he has earned every bit of it. DESTROY THE GIANTS!!!!!

2. Oct 20, 2009: Target Practice, Week 6: With a Bowe (almost) on top | Sports News Images and Videos