Seahawks aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on October 19, 2009 – 6:38 am

There are few things as satisfying in the NFL than a win that was taken care of from the opening series, but that’s what the Cards did Sunday. That was as dominating of a defensive performance that I can ever remember seeing out of the Cards; I mean, you take out that 42-yard fake punt and what did Seattle get? The rushing defense has been good all along. Maybe that’s the key, everyone just staying home and in their gaps and everything is fine. I do know that, with Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw coming up next week, that will be a telling test.

Anyway …

— We all know the Seahawks are injury-ravaged. Again. Defensive stars Patrick Kerney (groin) and Lofa Tatupu (torn pectoral) left the game and Tatupu is done for the season. That’s a killer, and that doesn’t include all the offensive linemen out. But Darnell Dockett, for one, couldn’t care a whit. “I don’t care nothing but excuses about how they’re hurting and all that,” the defensive end said. “When we shaking hands with a few of their guys, they’re like ‘We had this hurt and this guy.’ So (expletive) what. You gotta play the game at the end of the day. We’re not going to tell our guys to not play hard because you’re missing such and such and such. Naw, man.”

— If you have the game on TiVo or something and you didn’t watch Larry Fitzgerald’s catch on the third offensive play of the game — he slipped to his stomach and got his hands and arms up enough to make an all-hands catch — replay it for yourself and embrace the artistry. My note next to it as I kept play-by-play: OHMYGOD.

— The running game wasn’t perfect, and as the Seahawks realized the Cards would run late with a lead it became much harder to find holes, but that’s the balance the Cards want and need. Not 50/50 — it was still 43 passes, 26 runs — but the threat was there. And early, both Tim Hightower and Beanie Wells found some room.

— Beanie had another fumble. Somehow, it wasn’t recorded on the official play-by-play, but he definitely dropped it during that first long drive and was fortunate to jump on it. He just can’t let that happen.

— Speaking of stat questions, I’d expect the sack stats to change. Right now Clark Haggans was given full credit for the sack/fumble of Matt Hasselbeck. Watching the play, Calais Campbell did the bulk of the work and I think the ball was coming out as Haggans got there. I think Campbell should have his first two-sack game.

— There is always concern with an injury, but the Cards have to hope Anquan Boldin’s ankle sprain isn’t serious. Coach Ken Whisenhunt said it wasn’t and that the whole reason the Cards took Boldin out was to protect him for the Giants’ game this week. But they will need Boldin in New York.

— With the noise, the Cards seemed to take a lot more snaps under center than usual. That’s also a nod to running the ball more. I know Kurt Warner likes shotgun a lot, but it obviously worked fine Sunday.

— Rookie Rashad Johnson was inactive Sunday as a healthy scratch. That shows how far he still needs to go on the learning curve, especially with Matt Ware back and able to perform well on both special teams and defense.

— Whisenhunt called kicker Neil Rackers a “weapon” and that has been clear for a long time. His “mortar” kick that Greg Toler recovered (below) changed the game.

That’s it. As a P.S., I think if someone is looking for a team to think of that went to New England and didn’t show in the snow, it’s no longer the Cardinals. Thanks, Titans.

TolerPoochKickBlog

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “Seahawks aftermath”

1. By Chris on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

My thoughts exactly on the PS! At least it took them all game to get to 45 rather than ONE QUARTER! IF we play the Gints like we played the ‘Hawks, we have a strong chance at an upset.

2. By Patrick on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

Beannie – I had him down for two fumbles, both of which he recovered. Sure glad those haven’t killed us, but worrisome.

Is it only knowing where to be with Rashad?

3. By darrenurban on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

Patrick —

I didn’t see the other fumble and he wasn’t charged with any in the official stats. Where was the other one?

As far as Rashad, I think it’s being a rookie. And maybe Greg Toler provides a little more of what they need on special teams right now. I’m not sure the specifics yet.

4. By Dave on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

I don’t see the Seahawks being utterly dominated like that if they still had their old coach. They had a LOT of unproven people on the O line, and yeah that made it hard on them,but STILL! What aspect of the game were they good at? Their run D I guess. That’s about it. I’ll never forget how Holmgren’s face would get as red as a beet when he was furious and I’m pretty sure yesterday’s game would have caused him to have a heart attack.

5. By Tom on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

Beanie didn’t actually fumble the second time he just bobbled the ball after the handoff and then got control of it. We went up to Seattle for that game and that place was as loud as advertised…for a while. It will take a better game than that to beat the Giants but we actually match up well, our strength in the Run D against their outstanding run game and our pass game vs. their secondary, which is where they can be hurt, I think. Thanks to the Cards for backing up all the trash I talked to the Hawks fans all day!

6. By nor cal cards fan on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

That was a sweet win! It was nice to be able to just relax and watch a dominating performance and not have to sweat it out at the end.That was one of the most impressive defensive performances i’ve ever seen. Darren- good point on the Titans/Patriots game.I was thinking the same thing when i saw the score at halftime. I have a question for you. Would you mind asking Coach Whiz what happened at the end of the first half?As i’m sure you know we had 3 timeouts left with 30 seconds to go and let 19 seconds run off the clock before kurt threw an incomplete pass. Rackers didn’t get a shot at a field goal because we only had enough time for kurt to throw the hail mary and coach went to the locker room with timeouts still in his pocket.I was just curious. Other than that it was a perfectly coached game.

7. By darrenurban on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

Nor Cal —

Just happened to ask him about that very subject. I will blog about it soon.

8. By nor cal cards fan on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

Thanks Urb- Appreciate it as always.

9. By Robert on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

The Cards showed signs of being able to run it in the 1st half; they’ve got to be able to do it when there’s 8 guys in the box. Not every time obiviously, but we were losing yards nearly every time in the 4th quarter. It hurt Hightower and Beanie’s stats, but I’m glad we thoroughly dominated this game. Right away, I wondered why Campbell didn’t have 2 sacks. He could have double his sack total if he’d brought down the QB every time he’s been there, but he’s looking a very good young player on the rise.

10. By Patrick on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

I think Tom is right, Beannie bobbled but the second one may not have hit the ground. But same worry! Toler for Rashad…we’re deep!

Big Game Sunday Night.