More on the Miracle Baby

Posted by Darren Urban on October 22, 2009 – 10:50 am

To follow up a bit on my story yesterday on Steve Breaston, everything about him seems to scream overachiever, including the way he was born. Long-time readers of this blog know my affinity for the story behind the Miracle Baby and he’s been overcoming things ever since. QB Kurt Warner and WR Larry Fitzgerald marvel at the way Breaston seems to get the job done even when he doesn’t necessarily look, in Warner’s words, “orthodox.”

Veteran cornerback Ralph Brown, a sage of the locker room who seems to be able to sit in his corner and have a true perspective of the goings-on, talked a little about Breaston’s emergence from then (rookie in 2007) to now. “I saw the potential his rookie year: the speed, the eagerness to learn. I knew he had the potential to get to where he is, but I didn’t know how fast he was going to be able to get there, for him to be as confident and aggressive and as important to this team as he is now. It’s amazing and I am proud of what he has done. You can see it in his eyes, when he works on and off the field.”

Brown also noted how Breaston is playing through his knee injury. “We know he’s not 100 percent, but on the field (in Seattle), he looked 100 percent.”

That can’t be discounted. As I mentioned in my story, his ability to quietly do his job — well — while meshing with everyone else has been impressive. When you see him up close and hear him talk, he’s not a guy you’d immediately peg as tough and fearless. But that’s exactly what Breaston is. Some of that rubbed off from Anquan Boldin, who was a big influence on Breaston when he first arrived, but some of that is just inherent.

BreastonFitzBlog

Tags: , , , ,

9 Responses to “More on the Miracle Baby”

1. By Chris on Oct 22, 2009 | Reply

To think that if his mom had an abortion we might not have the benefit of knowing this great guy. I love his mom now too! (and his dad, dont want to leave him out of it)

2. By Year2Remember on Oct 22, 2009 | Reply

The thing that impresses me about Breaston is how he can attract defense the same way that boldin and fitzy can. With all three on the field, in a word, dangerous! Once he cleans up his routes to really give the D some trouble, dangerous! Number 15 always has my vote for a game changer!

3. By Eric on Oct 22, 2009 | Reply

Makes you wonder how much we really need Q. Q is injured yet again, and misses an average of 3 games per season with injury. He’s the oldest, most often injured receiver on the team (besides Morey, but I hardly consider him a WR) and his playing style invites injury. We need an o-line now as much as ever, we have a 1st round RB and an overachieving 5th round RB, a 1st round QB on the bench behind a future HOF QB. The lack of balance continually comes back to the o-line, we need that more than 3 1,000 yard receivers.

4. By William on Oct 22, 2009 | Reply

To me, Steve is the best wide reciever you’ve never heard about.

5. By Joe on Oct 22, 2009 | Reply

I live in Flag and get to see the rookies every year as soon as they start camp and the very first thing that impressed me about Steve Breston was how tough and fearless he was. It’s amazing how his skill has grown to match his toughness. This guy is something special.

6. By Ron Dulaney on Oct 22, 2009 | Reply

I don’t know where Eric has been for the last few years, but Q has been The Man at wide receiver for at least 3 of the last 4 years. Check his stats.
    Most important, his dedication to his teammates, proven by his missing only one game after nearly being decapitated last season, is matched only by Kurt playing with a cast on his left arm for half the previous year (When’s the last time you saw a QB do THAT!). That same dedication drives Q to play hurt. And he usually GETS hurt by playing like it’s the last game he’ll ever play.
    Yeah, he has issues with Cardinal MANAGEMENT (which obviously thinks more of corporate pennypinching than rewarding a top WR professional with what he’s worth), but his loyalty to and enthusiasm for his Cardinal teammates is beyond question.
    If MGMNT screws around and we lose Q, we’ll lose our offensive edge. We’ll lose that all-ellusive chemistry which took so long to evolve, and It’s back to the drawing board.

7. By Eric on Oct 23, 2009 | Reply

Ron-

I’ve been here. I don’t care about stats, I care about winning football games.

We have THREE 1,000-yard receivers. We have NO o-line. Q is the oldest, and most-often-injured receiver we have.

What kind of “offensive edge” do we have if our starting QB is flat on his back?

8. By (:Bobby:) on Oct 23, 2009 | Reply

To get the attention back on Breaston, he is a really down to earth guy. He enjoys comic books, and is a very talented poet.

9. By Jeff Gollin on Oct 24, 2009 | Reply

On more than one occasion, I’ve seen a Cardinal receiver go up to snare a pass at its highest point and outfight a defender for it. Each time, I assumed the receiver was Fitz, but as often or not, it turned out to be Breaston.

I’m getting close to concluding that Breaston has continued this past off-season on the same strength, conditioning and techique-improvement track he exhibited the previous off-season. He’s bigger, stronger and has stronger, more reliable hands and ball skills than he did a year ago.