The Wright stuff

Posted by Darren Urban on November 2, 2009 – 1:53 pm

You know those stories about injuries during a game that, when you hear them, you cringe? Yeah, this is one of those.

It’s got a happy ending, though, for running back/special teamer Jason Wright. On the first punt return of the game, Wright was blocking a guy and he “beat me across my face and my thumb was stuck in his pads or something and it ripped it.”

Wright’s right thumb was not in a good place — literally. “I looked down and my glove was that way,” Wright said, showing a perpendicular angle. “I said, ‘That’s not good.’ ” Bone was showing.

“It didn’t hurt though,” Wright insisted, although I think was feeling a little queasy hearing the story. The only thing that hurt was getting stitched back up. “They slipped it right back in place.”

“It’s a game we needed to win and we all have our role, and it’s hard to thrust people into a role they haven’t done all week. That was the first thought,” Wright added.

Sounds like one of those crazy hockey players who never miss time. “Uh, no,” Wright said. “The doc was telling me when he was stitching me, ‘You know, these hockey players take stitches without any numbing.’ I said, ‘No, numb me up.’ There were a couple stitches where he didn’t numb it, and no, I don’t want to do that again.”

Wright said he’ll be able to splint it up and play. “It’s not a big deal. It just looked nasty. Kind of a Halloween injury.”

WrightFingerBlog

Tags:

13 Responses to “The Wright stuff”

1. By William C. on Nov 2, 2009 | Reply

I just got off a stomach virus. Why did I read this??
    Heh.

2. By Edward B. on Nov 2, 2009 | Reply

Man this guy is tough

– He is officially a Cardinal!

3. By TucsonTim on Nov 2, 2009 | Reply

I thought bone through skin = pins and IV antibiotics. Hope he is OK.

4. By darrenurban on Nov 2, 2009 | Reply

TusconTim —

Thanks for the heads up on the quote. I don’t know if I was there when he said that.

As far as the Wright injury, he said there was bone and he said he could play. I think it’s a bit crazy too, but so is throwing your body into multiple car-crash-type collisions in a game.

5. By tom manoogian on Nov 2, 2009 | Reply

–glad to hear he is alright,i really didn’t know about it till now.i really like a guy like wright,team player and i think he should be used more.he could play on my team,i’d take a whole bunch of jason wright’s.

6. By shannon robinson on Nov 2, 2009 | Reply

Jason Wright is one hell of a ballplayer – he’s a great running back in the open field and one of the best lead blockers on kick offs – he was used in tandem with Beannie in preseason and blocked really well & Beannie followed him into the hole – we don’t see that pair anymore. I thought we’d use Jason more like a third down back to replace Arrington. Quick, competant, shifty, so now add tough. Maybe some of Wright and Kreider will rub off. Those two could be a big part of Beannie Ball, if we ever get to see it.

7. By J on Nov 2, 2009 | Reply

Talked to Jason right after the game and he told me the same thing – didnt’ feel a thing when it happened. He is the epitomy of a team player and a real down to earth guy. If you knew him personally, you’d be hard pressed not to love the guy. 😉

8. By Kris B. on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

hey darren, I just heard that the chargers just released Chris Chambers, is there any chance of the cardinals pick him up?

9. By darrenurban on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

Kris —

I’d say none. No reason. Chambers hasn’t been good for a while, and why do you need him? The Cards already are set at the position.

10. By Kris B. on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

darren,
    ya they have boldin, fitz, and breaston, but chambers has to be better than doucet and urben, and we cant keep turning to player`s that can`t hold the ball to fill in when Q,steve and larry are out.

11. By darrenurban on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

Kris —

What makes you so sure Chambers is better than Doucet/Urban? Teams don’t cut good players. There is little question the Cards have a better overall receiving corps than the Chargers, yet the Chargers cut Chambers. How good can he be?

12. By Kris B. on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

darren,

the chargers also got rid of Brees, does that mean he isent any good? I`m just tierd of watching balls bounce out of the hand of or receivers, anything that helps will work for me, as for chambers I dont get to see him play much but i remember before miami`s desrtuction he was averaging 18yrds a catch, and there is plenty of veterans in the nfl , even one on this team (Warner) that were considered washed up, done, and they are thriving now, I just don`t want the cards to loose anymore.

13. By darrenurban on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

Kris —

Understood. But there is a huge difference between the Brees situation — in which the Chargers had a top-5 draft pick in Philip Rivers waiting — and this one. I understand the frustration. But in this league, it’s very difficult to take a guy at midseason and have him make an impact. Chambers isn’t a special teams guy either, like Urban. I get that many fans see Jerheme as a weak link and he has become a whipping boy, but I feel certain that if the coaching staff felt he was a detriment, he wouldn’t be playing Sundays.