After practice Thursday

Posted by Darren Urban on November 5, 2009 – 1:51 pm

I know everyone always says they are past the previous weekend’s game — especially after a loss — by Wednesday, but it always feels like it’s not quite flushed completely until Thursday. And that’s how it felt today as the Cards look forward to going to Chicago.

Health-wise, only slight changes. LB Gerald Hayes (back) and DE Darnell Dockett (ankle) were limited, but coach Ken Whisenhunt all along didn’t sound worried that they both will be available. WR Anquan Boldin (ankle) sat out again, but again, that was going to be a game-day decision anyway.

Tags: , , ,

9 Responses to “After practice Thursday”

1. By Eric on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

How is Early Doucet doing? I don’t think he’s been active all season. I’d like to see Q get some rest with all his injuries, and we could use some competition with Urban seemingly struggling to hold onto balls.

2. By darrenurban on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

Eric —

Early hasn’t been active. He seems to be doing OK in practice, but you never know how that will translate in games. Plus, he isn’t as good on special teams as Urban, which hurts him.

3. By Long Meat on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

What is it with coach whiz why cant he see that he needs to run the ball more and that he also needs to try doucet over urban – and why in the world did a Keep Brian st. pierre on the roster. I respect loyalty to your friends but darren this is buisness and brian st. pierre should be allow to play on a pop warner team let alone make the cut on this team. CUT BRIAN ACTIVIATE EARLY AND SIT URBAN AND RUN THE FREAKIN BALL AND I PROMISE IF YOU RUN EFFECTIVLY FITZ WILL BE OPEN

4. By darrenurban on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

Long —

Well, I guess the only way I can answer that is, as soon as you become a head coach I am sure you’ll get to make those decisions. I understand fans having opinions but I am here every day and I certainly couldn’t be so black and white in my ideas. I continue to be amazed — and not just with you, but many people — who seem to think Whisenhunt, or any coach for that matter, would undercut his own team (and his job, since it’s directly tied to wins and losses) out of loyalty or ignorance. Whisenhunt has been in the NFL as a player and coach almost every year since 1985. I’d like to think he knows what he is doing.

Did the Cards play well last week? No. Is their offense humming along nicely? No. But they made a Super Bowl and they are in first place this year, and while I am sure I will get a number of comments telling me how none of that matters, I say they are the only things that ultimately matter.

5. By Long Meat on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

Trust me i think whiz is a great coach and he has taken this team to levels alot of people never thought it could reach. But Darren you need to understand that when there is a problem it needs to be fixed… The cardinals are stacked on offense and there is no reason they should have loss 3 games this year. At most 2 games Colts/Giants but shoot they beat the Giants which in reality they should have but normally in those situation they lay an egg which i was surprised that they didnt but eventually reality set in and they laid the egg versus carolina. Now i no this is the nfl and the other teams get paid to so losses happen. But honeslty most of these loss have been self enflicted. By very bad play calling suspect players and brian freakin pierre not really brian but honestly they should have cut him if they wanted to keep a qb palko had way more upside but thats another conversation. Honetly they need to run the ball more not running the ball almosted costed us the game in new but thanks to rolle and his athletic ability we won the game. But thats bad coaching why are you passing the ball with the lead with 3 minutes in the 4th quarter thats just retarded. And the game in caralina ok where down three touchdowns what in the 1st qaurter and any other coach would stick with the game plan because there is alot of game left to play but no not the cardinals they start playin like its 4th quarter and passing the ball everywhere thats why they loss the game bad coaching calls and decisions. Dude i love the cardinals and please dont try and get statiscale wit me i may not be a reporter and see these people in real life but trust i no my stuff and i no they will be in trouble if they dont make some changes…

6. By Edward B. on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

I am seriously tired of people giving Urban the cold shoulder over a couple of mistakes he made… Not everybody is perfect in every play, not even Fitzgerald. It’s something I am sure he will learn from, these guys are professionals, and hopefully they are smart enough not to make the same mistakes over and over again.

7. By Big Red on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

Nice answer, Darren. For Mr.Long Meat

8. By Chuck on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

Darren-

Can you tell some weeks in practice that the boys aren’t clicking? Or are you always as shocked as we are when they lay a goose egg? It’s scary every week wondering what team is going to show up. I will say this. I am impressed that most teams have made huge efforts to take away all of the weapons the Cards used last year in their run, but the Cards are still doing pretty well. Keep your updates coming.

9. By darrenurban on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

Chuck —

There are some weeks where you wonder while watching practice. But in all honesty, I didn’t think that way last week. I’m not sure what it was last week. You can only hope they got whatever out of their system now that they are going to Chicago.