Whiz has no problem with Q

Posted by Darren Urban on November 9, 2009 – 11:49 am

Coach Ken Whisenhunt is hoping Anquan Boldin’s ankle injury, now that he had a game off, will be all but healed now. But as for Boldin’s postgame remarks about his anger from not playing, well, Whisenhunt didn’t mind.

“You know what, that doesn’t concern me at all,” Whisenhunt said. “In fact, that’s kind of what you like to see, because he wants to play. I think we all know how tough and competitive Anquan is, and the fact he was upset he didn’t play is what you would expect. I certainly have no issues with that whatsoever.”

Players were given a “Victory Monday” and the day off, although many still are in lifting weights and having injuries treated, and Boldin was down working out as always this morning. For the future, events like this may not make things worse, but it does put into context Boldin’s thought process. Still, I don’t expect to be a problem going forward. Whisenhunt doesn’t see it as one, and when the team is winning, it’s tough for these distractions to gain any real traction.

P.S. Whisenhunt said the Cards were relatively healthy after the game, although he noted TE Ben Patrick did tweak his knee. Patrick went back into the game after that happened.

Tags: , ,

30 Responses to “Whiz has no problem with Q”

1. By AZSportzFan on Nov 9, 2009 | Reply

Maybe we can wear our away jerseys at home. Maybe that might give us some home wins!

2. By kauaicardsfan on Nov 9, 2009 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I heard it was a last minute decision but why didn’t anyone at least tell Q the situation instead of him finding out the way that he did?

3. By darrenurban on Nov 9, 2009 | Reply

kauai —

Well, I guess it’s a matter of semantics. The way it was explained to me, the decision to sit Q was literally last second — to the point the Cards were coming close to missing the NFL-mandated 90-minute-before-kickoff deadline. The list went in and Q was still on the field. There are a lot of moving pieces during pregame, and it just happened that Boldin came in to the locker room and saw his locker before he was told.

4. By Mike"Pay Q" on Nov 9, 2009 | Reply

In my opinion this has been blown out of proportion. Someone asked Q if he was upset, which ANYONE could clearly see. Anquan was honest about what happenned, but should have said it a much different way. It is never a good thing to attack someone as not being man enough.

Anyway let’s hope Q is healthy and the oline plays like they did against Chicago, which is the reason for the win.

5. By Bob on Nov 9, 2009 | Reply

Can we have the players stay in Flag or Payson Saturday night so it feels like an away game when they have to be brought in Sunday?

6. By tom manoogian on Nov 9, 2009 | Reply

–said it before,say it again,boldin is a cancer.he’s full of injury problems and in case you boldin lovers don’t know the record without him,feel free to inquire.should have traded him before,should trade him again,maybe not to one of division foes,but miami would be a good choice.i am not saying he is not a good football player because he is,but we could fill a position we need,whatever coach’s think is best.if the running game gets going,then he really is not needed,as we have receivers who can make plays and be able to practice more than once a week and still be able to play in games.this has been going on a long time,doesn’t practice at ota’s,i mean do you really think he is a team player.whiz says he has no problem with boldin,i wonder what he would say under oath,it can’t be good for the team and i think he is smart enough deep down to know that.—go cards

7. By Paul on Nov 9, 2009 | Reply

Well…the last-minute, gotta get it in before the 90 minute deadline sounds kind of amateur. I expect a little more organization out of a professional team. But I wish Q wouldn’t pop off so much publicly. I really like the guy but it is hard to like someone who complains almost weekly.

8. By darrenurban on Nov 9, 2009 | Reply

Paul —

Whoa there. Why is it amateur when you’re dealing with ankle sprains and bad backs? The only way it is amateur is if the Cards had long decided who was sitting and just waited. But if you are mulling who is healthy enough to play — or more importantly, who is healthy enough to play and for how long — you’re going to wait as long as possible. One of the problems was that the Cards thought Gerald Hayes was going to play, and when he didn’t, Highsmith was forced on defense. Highsmith is such an important special teamer — who now wasn’t going to play special teams because he was starting on D — that replacements had to be figured in on all four special teams. And that’s a trickle-down effect on the entire 45-man active roster.

9. By nor cal cards fan on Nov 9, 2009 | Reply

As far as Q is concerned, it has to be a little humbling for him to know that every time he has to sit out a game his team wins without him [5 out of the last 6 times;including playoffs] and Fitz always has a dominating performance.Regardless, we need him for the playoff run. I think we need to keep Early Doucet activated from now on even if Q is healthy.That way if Q ever tweaks his ankle or hamstring during a game and has to come out,like last week against Carolina, we have more than a capable replacement in Doucet.He’s too good of a reciever to be standing on the sidelines in sweat pants deactivated every week. He’s flat out a better reciever than Jerehme Urban, let’s not sugar coat it. And, ya i know he’s a good special teams player. Thats where Coach Whiz needs to keep him, where he’s better suited.

10. By darrenurban on Nov 9, 2009 | Reply

Nor Cal —

Again, that’s a problem, having Doucet active as a sixth receiver. That means you are taking a body away from another position, and that’s not always possible. Each move doesn’t happen in a vaccuum. There is a give and take everywhere on the roster.

11. By kauaicardsfan on Nov 9, 2009 | Reply

Ah,
    Thanks for the clarification, it was very misleading the way it was shown. Don’t want anything negative especially after a great win!
    It was a great decision to sit Q, we need him healthy for the 2nd half of the season! Early did a great job filling in! The whole team did great!
    Being a fan since ’76 this was the definitely the most perfect first half I’ve seen yet! Its the first time ever I saw the network change to a more competitive game where the Cardinals were winning instead of the other way around, which totally upset me!!!
    GO CARDS!!!!

12. By Eric on Nov 9, 2009 | Reply

Q is losing traction for any new contract he may be looking to get with the Cardinals. He’s injured more than any other receiver, he’s the oldest receiver we have, and Doucet looks like he has the potential to be a #3 and maybe more. If the Cards can get a #1 and more, I predict he’ll be playing for another team next season.

13. By azcardsfan22 on Nov 9, 2009 | Reply

hey Darren when are you guys going to stop making excuses for Whiz and call him out on his inability to get this team to play consistant ball, Now yesterday was good, but whats gonna happen next week penalties everywhere, his not running ball when we can run if he lets them do it, he made the same mistake in this Bears game as he did against Houston, he still felt the need to throw the ball with a 20pt lead with 9 min left in game, with a backup QB, no one mentions those horrible moves by Whiz and it a common thing this team makes the same mistakes game in and game out, have some courage and call out the coach

14. By darrenurban on Nov 9, 2009 | Reply

azcardsfan22 —

I’ll say to you what I said to you on the other thread: What will it take for you to be happy? If a 20-point win on the road isn’t enough, you never will be. You want the media to call out the coach. Why? Let’s go to your example. Why is he letting the backup QB throw a pass (with a huge lead, by the way) in the fourth? Let’s say he doesn’t. You’ll be the same guy complaining in a year or two that Whisenhunt screwed up his QB situation because he never bothered figuring out what Leinart could do in a game. Tough to evaluate a QB if all you let him to is handoff.

As for next week, you have to take a serious pill. I understand fans who get upset when the team plays poorly. But you’re on them for too many penalties and failing to run the ball in a game that’s still a week away for goodness sake!

You ask me to “have some courage.” I ask you to gain some perspective.

15. By Jesse Robles on Nov 9, 2009 | Reply

I personally think it was good to sit Q, he wants to play, and who doesn’t? It’s not him being a baby, it was total miscommunication and he probably understands now. He just really never wants to miss a game, no one does. The Cards as a team want to contribute as much as they can, and Q wanted to be out there scoring TD’s like everyone else. Soldier Field is probably the worst field to play on, one little slip and we would be here talking about if Q is healthy enough to play against Seattle. Look guys, we won, 49ers lost, and Q is going to healthy enough to hopefully beat Seattle at home, Everything worked out so lets move on to Seattle!! I just think we need to continue to run the ball and not stop like we did in the third. We can’t just go for the kill, because the kill isn’t working on everyone, we need to do what is working in the game, and they couldn’t stop Fitz or the run, but we couldn’t run in the third when they came back. We got this though! Whizard of AZ has this.

16. By Jesse Robles on Nov 9, 2009 | Reply

Let Whiz know that the freaking double reverse to the one side to Breaston was amazing, I have never even thought about that play before, it faked everyone out, even the camera man, Whiz calls some great trick plays at great times. The funny thing was Neil being Neil with his pooch kick off, we all new it was planned because that is what he does, but the COWBOY himself Troy Aikman was like, “I’m not sure if that was planned?” Although it was nice to even hear Troy give us props, even though we played good old Cards football in the third and beginning of the fourth. THAT 5-3 is looking good, Hoping for an 8-3 record going into that VIKES game, we will see, Let’s go CARDS!!!

17. By Jesse Robles on Nov 9, 2009 | Reply

Sorry, “THE MORTAR KICK,” I predict Neil in yet another Pro Bowl, homeboy is amazing.

18. By Justin on Nov 9, 2009 | Reply

Perhaps Q should’ve been “man enough” to tell his coach face to face that he didn’t appreciate the way the deactivation went down instead of squabbling through the media. This is something that should’ve been kept in the locker room and us fans should not know this anger even existed in the first place. Q should’ve been happy about the win (a la NFC Championship game) instead of blasting the coach through the media. Whiz…total class act in the way he is handling this. Go Cards!!!

19. By nor cal cards fan on Nov 9, 2009 | Reply

Darren- I understand what you’re saying about the WR position. I just think Early, as i’ve said before, has huge potential if he can stay healthy and given the chance.Were you in the locker room when Q supposedly refused to look Coach Whiz in the eye? Did that really happen?

20. By darrenurban on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

Nor Cal —

I was not in the locker room, but Kent Somers wrote it, and I find it hard to believe Kent would publish something like that if he wasn’t confident it was true.

21. By nor cal cards fan on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

Urb- Thanks for the insight once again, your inside info is a treat for us fans.Keep up the good work, it’s not going unnoticed- Go Cards!

22. By Brian on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

Darren –
    As always I enjoy your words of wisdom. As a cardinal fan I look at the positives of what this team is doing and try to put the negative into perspective on how to improve. I don’t know of a NFL team today that doesn’t have a negative they want to change. Whiz is doing a great job. I and other fans believe in him, and feel the team believes in him. This is how teams succeed. BELIEVING. Consistancy will come. GO CARDS!!

23. By Paul on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

Darren

I called it amateur because they didn’t handle a weekly event (the injury list) right. They waited until zero hour, didn’t let the player know, and then blamed their own last-minute decision making. That comes across as amateur, being in a rush, which makes them look unorganized. Did the 49ers in their heyday have this issue? Steelers now? No.

24. By darrenurban on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

Paul —

Perhaps you’re right. But, given that I would assume you don’t follow the Steelers on a day-to-day basis now, or the Niners back when, how can you be sure that didn’t happen? If you say there was never anything reported, well, that just means the player didn’t say something to the media, right? You could make the argument, since Whisenhunt said every day that Boldin would be a game-time decision, that Boldin should have known it was possible.

25. By Paul on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

I can be sure because their players don’t (and didn’t) point out to the press that the team isn’t telling them that they are not active-so either the team is doing it right, or if the team is doing it wrong the player is professional enough not to complain to the press. So either the team is amateur or the player is.
    I’m a Card fan and don’t mean it to sound otherwise! I want Q healthy and hope he gets 2 TDs and 100+ in a successful return next week. I just think with a known hothead like Q the Cards need to be more organized and prepared.

26. By darrenurban on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

Paul —

I get what you are saying. And I’m not trying to pile on. Personally, I am a little surprised Anquan was as strong in his comments to the press. But I really don’t think this is as big of a deal as it has turned out to be. Trust me, Anquan would have been just as ticked to sit Sunday even if Whisenhunt would have been the one to let him know. He wants to play, and he wants to show he’s worth a big contract. In some ways, I think the not-telling-me thing is a red herring.

27. By CardsFan08 on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

Darren-

You sir, are the man. I really enjoy reading your articles and your responses to peoples posts. I especially like that you stand up for yourself and your perspective in a professional manner.

You’re living the dream! Keep up the great work!

28. By Omaha on Nov 11, 2009 | Reply

Darren

You’re doing a great job delivering the inside scoop to people without easy access to Cardinals information. I appreciate what you do very much, as do all of us Cards fans many miles away.

To the arguments at hand,
    azcardsfan22-
    The decision to have Leinart throw the ball was pretty obvious, especially with Warner bound to retire in the near future. And if you really want to worry about something relevant, what I find most troublesome is the play of Mike Gandy.

Paul-
    Q has always been my favorite receiver, and I’m going to go with Whiz’s perspective on this one: it’s a good thing that Q shows a lot of spirit and desire to play. I’ve been disappointed with Q’s negative media attention lately, though, I hope he’s not trying to use his mouth to make up for all the talking that his play usually does.

29. By Paul on Nov 11, 2009 | Reply

Darren

I second and third what CardsFan and Omaha say….love your work and love that you are reachable on here.

Heres a prediction for Sunday-Beanie over 100 yds rushing.

30. By darrenurban on Nov 11, 2009 | Reply