Warner up for award

Posted by Darren Urban on November 10, 2009 – 7:47 am

With five touchdown passes, this should probably be a no-brainer, but Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner is up for the FedEx Air player of the week award, for which fans can vote. Warner, of course, was 22-of-32 for 261 yards to go with his five scores (and no interceptions) in the Cards’ win. His competition is Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger (21-for-29, 233, 3 TD, 1 INT) in a win and Chargers QB Philip Rivers (24-of-36, 209, 3 TD, 2 INT) in a win. Voting lasts until 10 a.m. Friday.

Also, don’t forget DE Calais Campbell will be signing autographs at the Verizon Wireless store at 6 p.m. tonight, located at Peoria Crossing, 9184 W. Northern Ave., Glendale.

Tags: ,

12 Responses to “Warner up for award”

1. By bp on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

darren a little motivation to pass on to the team.

Eric D. Williams of the Tacoma News Tribune says Seahawks receiver Nate Burleson guaranteed — sort of, anyway — a Seattle victory at Arizona. Burleson: “I don’t want to give anybody bulletin board material, but I do believe it was Herman Edwards [who said], ‘We play to win the game. Period.’ So, we’re going on the road to play a football game, and we’re gonna win. I don’t care what you say. People can print it in the paper, they can send it to the teams we’re playing. But they know just like we know, we’re going to win the game. I’m not taking away anything from the teams we’re going to play on the road the next few weeks, but we’re gonna get on the plane with the mindset that we’re going to win, and we need to win.”

2. By Jay Martin on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

Too bad they don’t show the stats next to each QBs name on that voting page, Kurts stats from that game dominate the competitors. But my vote is cast, lets hope he get what he deserves after an amazing game on sunday.

3. By Tyler on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

I believe the fedex air player of the week should be a no brainer! if gray beard doesn’t win, then the voting system is messed up or the cardinal fans are not doing their job. I will be watching the game this week against Seattle. CARDS, PLEASE DON’T LET ME DOWN!!! I’LL BACK YOU UP WIN OR LOSE!!

4. By Year2Remember on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

Ever notice that when the Cards win and win big we wind up with at least one player up for an award? And seems someone wins either defensive or offensive player of the week. Scare what we’re capable of. . .isn’t it?

5. By Joe on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

Hey darren this is a little off the subject but what do you think of will davis? coaches high on him at all? I remember the kid making some plays in the preseason when he had a chance to play. Seems to me like he fits the mold of a good 3-4 outside backer. Even on special teams he stands out. I think hes got some good upside.

6. By darrenurban on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

Joe —

I agree. If they can find a solid LB in the 6th — even if Will just turns into a good special teamer and a good backup — it’ll be huge. It’s early though.

7. By Robert on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

At least the voters got it right and Kurt won this award. It shouldn’t have even been a contest.

bp, Burleson really said that? I’d say it’s more of a vote of confidence in his own team than a guarantee they’d beat us because he didn’t specify the Cards. I’d also say we shouldn’t need motivation for a division game against a team we waxed the 1st time in Seattle and should beat easily at home, but it doesn’t hurt either.

8. By darrenurban on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

Robert —

Just so you know, the award in this blog entry hasn’t been announced. The award Kurt won today is a league award; the one in this blog is based on fan votes.

9. By red beast on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

I love the cards win or lose real fans should stick with their teams, give’em hell like we know you can,

10. By Eazy E on Nov 10, 2009 | Reply

Nice Joke Nate!!! LOL!!!

11. By shannon robinson on Nov 11, 2009 | Reply

Will Davis got a pretty good sack on Cutler – he looks fast and a good closer. I thought he was a steal in the Sixth Round – he was a wide receiver, then tight end at Illinois and then learned DE and now is learning OLB. What a guy – he’s going to be fun, especially since we have to wait on Cody Brown.
    Darren – do injured reserve players work out with the team – does Lott supervise them?

12. By darrenurban on Nov 11, 2009 | Reply

Shannon —

In terms of IR, some work out often, some don’t. I see FB Justin Green in a lot, LB Cody Brown not as much. They have to work around the active players though, so maybe that’s why I don’t see Cody. Lott does have contact with them. But in a lot of ways, they are on their own. The players who have been on IR before talk about it being a lonely existence.