No Harris suspension for punch

Posted by Darren Urban on November 11, 2009 – 3:49 pm

ESPN is reporting that Bears defensive tackle Tommie Harris will not be suspended for his punch of Cardinals guard Deuce Lutui. Surprising? I’m not sure. Lutui himself downplayed the whole thing at the time, and Harris did only play four plays, so the ejection was as close to a suspension for that game without really being one. It is interesting, though, that an intentional swing won’t draw a game-penalty but there is always a chance a big hit from someone like Adrian Wilson could.

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to “No Harris suspension for punch”

1. By Tyler on Nov 11, 2009 | Reply

I am glad Harris didn’t get suspended. I would rather the fine be huge. The big reason is that I need the Bears to be 100% going into 49er territory tomorrow. If Harris was in our division, then I would want him to be suspended. Doesn’t that make sense?

2. By darrenurban on Nov 11, 2009 | Reply

Tyler —

It absolutely makes sense.

3. By Bob on Nov 11, 2009 | Reply

Agreed. Go Bears!!!

4. By John Rennecamp on Nov 11, 2009 | Reply

It’s interesting that aggressive play draws fines for hits that seem Ok, but a punch to the head doesn’t get a suspension. Looks like another case of star treatment. If this was a backup for the Chiefs or Lions he would have been suspended.
    Maybe the way the Bears defense looked the NFL felt sorry for them.

5. By CardsDNA on Nov 12, 2009 | Reply

I can understand the difference with the big hit compaired to a punch. What damage you going to do to someone wearing a helmet. Do if I run full speed and spear you in the head with my helmet…well lets just say you would feel the second one a little more.

I have no issue with the none suspension, beside we need him to play so they can beat the crap out of the 49’s thursday night. 🙂

6. By Chuck Brown on Nov 12, 2009 | Reply

Go Bears beat them 9ers. I hope the Cards are getting their heads straight with their home play for Sunday and don’t take the Seahags for granted.