After Whiz Monday

Posted by Darren Urban on November 16, 2009 – 11:43 am

Coach Ken Whisenhunt just talked for his day-after recap of the Seahawks game, with a few interesting tidbits:

— There is no real injury report. Whisenhunt said he doesn’t want to jump the gun on saying everybody should be OK — the Cards didn’t announce any injuries during the game — but I won’t be surprised if there is a guy or two banged up come Wednesday. He did say he hoped to have linebacker Gerald Hayes (back) back at practice. That would be a big deal, because the Cards missed him.

— It didn’t look good for safety Adrian Wilson when Seahawks tight end John Carlson was wide open on his 31-yard touchdown catch, but Whisenhunt absolved Wilson. The Cards were in a three-deep defense and Wilson was supposed to cover the receiver in the flat (which is where Wilson was headed). Cornerback Bryant McFadden was supposed to take the receiver down the field, except McFadden also headed to the flat.

— Whisenhunt brushed off the idea Beanie Wells will be named a starter anytime soon. Wells is playing well, but so is Tim Hightower. There’s no reason to mess with what is working.

— He is happy with what he has seen from rookie linebacker Will Davis, especially since Davis is going through the transition from college defensive end.

— Whisenhunt doesn’t like seeing Early Doucet drop a third-down pass, but he said he remains high on Doucet’s overall play. He didn’t want anyone reading too much into the fact Jerheme Urban was active but did not see the field. I wasn’t shocked Urban didn’t play wideout, but to have him active and not play special teams did surprise me. Whisenhunt said that was a numbers game — with Rashad Johnson and Greg Toler both active, it made more sense to have defensive players playing special teams rather than Urban.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

24 Responses to “After Whiz Monday”

1. By Brian on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

Hey darren

Have a question for you..Why is it that brayant mcfadden was guarding TJ the whole game and not so much our speedster DRC? seemed to me Brayant was getting beat in every way possible? Hoosh is defeinatley their best wideout so why not put our best corner on him?

2. By darrenurban on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

Brian —

I’d have to break down the game more than I will likely have time to, but I am not sure if Housh was simply lining up on McFadden’s side every time or if it was something else. The Cards usually play left-right rather than matchups.

3. By spitfire772 on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

Didn’t realize the Carlson TD was McFadden’s fault.. makes a bad game even worse for him. If Gerald Hayes gets back next week, we should have a much better shot at limiting Steven Jackson. Early Doucet deserves to be the 4th WR IMO because he has more upside. I aree with Whiz about Beanie and Hightower; both are effective in their roles and, though Hightower is considered the “starter,” Beanie has been the finisher and will get the majority of the carries most games. The Cards like to ride whoever is hot and that’s not a bad system when you have 2 very good RBs.

4. By Doug Hart on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

Darren I had a question for you. Watching yesterday’s game I noticed Dansby basically lineing up 15 yards deep like a Safety. Is that something new or something I’ve never noticed before?

5. By darrenurban on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

Doug —

I noticed that in practice last week. I think it was a function of the game plan. I don’t remember seeing it before. It just shows Dansby’s versatility, though.

6. By az1965 on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

Darren… appreciate a video link of the presser. Thanks.

7. By darrenurban on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

az1965 —

It’ll be up as soon as possible, but on the new system it takes longer to upload so for longer press conferences, they almost will always be posted later in the day that they happen.

8. By Ross on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

Darren – Thanks for the update. Do you think Whiz is holding Beanie back to keep him fresh, or does he believe what he says about Hightower?

Thanks.

9. By darrenurban on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

Ross —

I believe what he says. Why wouldn’t I? Why wouldn’t you? Hightower may not be Beanie, but I do think he has played pretty well.

10. By azkards on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

hey urb,
    You gonna be at the mansion tonight for Kurts charity event?
    Remind all the folks out there that it’s tonight. Should be a great night.
    Hope to see you there.

11. By darrenurban on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

azkards —

I will not be out there. Actually going to have some family time. Enjoy it though, it sounds like it will be fun.

12. By Ross on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

Darren – I agree with Whiz. I actually have watched Timmy for the past six years and hope he keeps his role. At Richmond, he was a stud. I think he is still learning and I am glad Whiz is sticking with him.

I just keep hearing a lot of Beanie love that is all.

Thanks.

13. By ryan on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

thats fine if Whiz wants to give Hightower the first couple carries so he is still the so called “starter” but i want to see beanie get 80% of the carries. He is such a weapon and play maker, we need all the plays we can get out of the backfield. On short yardage plays like that 4th and 1 yesterday where Timmy got stuffed, Whiz has got to put Beanie in, he has more power and falls forward. On third down and in passing situations then you can put timmy in.

14. By Bobby on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

Hey Darren me and my friends came up with a nickname for Beanie and Hightower let me know what you think and maybe pitch it to them if you see them, The Super Smash Brothers.

15. By darrenurban on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

Bobby —

Umm … I’m not sure about that one.

16. By Dave on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

Yeah…we need somebody that has power and falls forward. Like that one dude that played in the NFC championship game last year….

17. By Big D on Nov 16, 2009 | Reply

I really like wiz starting hightower hes an over achiever he plays consistent he does a good job in every aspect of the game all the time, beanie is streaky that’s why you keep starting hightower letting beanie get carries here and there and when you seem him breaking big plays let him stay in like yesterday. he comes out a little slow and unprepared leave hightower in and let him help kurt win the game with his blocking receiving and short yardage game

18. By spitfire772 on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

Some of you are missing the point with Beanie. It doesn’t matter who is the starter because Beanie will get the bulk of the carries. The Cards ride whoever is doing well at the time, plus every team in the NFL needs 2 backs. It’s a copycat league and every team has a running combo instead of just the featured back nowadays. Timmy has played very well this year and is a key member of our offense.

19. By Bob on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

Whiz can say all he wants about ‘not reading to much’ but the sad fact is that he has basically neutered Urban in favor of Doucet. With everyone being healthy it would not surprise me to see Urban on the inactive list this week. Boo!

20. By Ditship on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

I for one don’t mind seeing either Timmy or Beanie in the backfield. They both bring different things to each play and both can make big plays as well. As Dave said above.. Hightower had no problem breaking tackles and crossing the line for six in the NFC Championship to take the lead and bring us to the SB. Also Darren.. You are doing an excellent job! Your hard work is MUCH appreciated!

21. By darrenurban on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

Ditship —

Thanks for the kind words.

22. By Paul on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

I will take Urban’s (Jerheme not Darren!) CURRENT skills to Doucet’s UPSIDE any day. Although it would be cool to see Darren suit up as Jerheme and go through practice…kind of a George Plimpton “Paper Lion” homage. What u think, D?

23. By darrenurban on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

Paul —

I think I am much too old for such a thing. And I’d have to wonder if there is a player out there looking for a little payback, if you know what I mean. 🙂

24. By ryan on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

Dave,

yeah everyone remembers the Eagles game where timmy landed backwards into the end zone because its replayed in a cardinals commercial 5 times during every game. I really like Hightower, i even have his jersey but i mean c’mon, Beanie throws guys to the ground with one hand!