The other side of Q

Posted by Darren Urban on December 1, 2009 – 1:06 pm

Anquan Boldin always did start fast. He had 10 catches for 217 yards in his very first NFL game (a yardage total that remains his career-high to this day), and almost as soon as he got to the NFL, he was creating a charitable foundation in his name — called the Q81 Foundation — to help underprivileged children both in Arizona and his home state of Florida.

So while Boldin’s name has been bandied about more often in the past 18 months because of his issues with his contract or back-and-forth with the organization, he continues to work off the field toward something that has long been important to him. It includes his annual auction/dinner — held Monday night at the Biltmore — to raise money for his causes.

“I always promised in my heart if I ever had the opportunity to give back, I would,” Boldin said. “There is no better platform than now. Football has allowed me the opportunity to do that.”

Teammates Larry Fitzgerald, Matt Leinart, Neil Rackers, Kurt Warner, Bertrand Berry and Jerheme Urban all showed up Monday to aid the cause — which also had some impressive auction items, like an Jim Brown-autographed helmet and autographed jerseys of Derek Jeter and LeBron James. Boldin doesn’t care how people find out about his foundation. “For me, it’s all about trying to create awareness of people in need,” Boldin said.

You can agree or disagree with how Boldin has gone about his business off the field the last couple of seasons (it’s tough to argue how he’s performed on it). Personally, I know, having known and dealt with Q since he came into the league, it’s tough to watch his story turn the direction it has. But there has never been a doubt about his passion, whether it is regarding his play, what he believes he deserves as a contract, or for children who need his help.

Tags:

10 Responses to “The other side of Q”

1. By Mike"Pay Q" on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

Nice article Darren. I completely agree about Q. He is a class act(sometimes people don’t like honesty). You can argue about some things he has said, but he has performed every time he has been on the field. I for one am glad to have my daughter look up to someone on Anquan’s character.
    Not to create a contoversy, but everyone in the league just gives the “best receiver in the league” title to Larry, and he may be better than Q. However it still took Larry more games to reach 500 catches than Q. Let’s not forget that Q had Jeff Blake, Josh McCowon throwing to him his 1st year(when he was rookie of the year by the way), whereas Larry has always had Matt or Kurt.

2. By Chris on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

Q is such a classy guy. Very nice and always has time for fans. The whole contract drama drama is showing a side of him that is maybe 1% of who he actually is as a person. Great guy.

3. By Big Red on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

Since Q came into the league and saw the way he plays the game, I knew he would become someone very special. I’ve seen pro receivers for over fifty years and there is no one that has had the guts that the Q has. My favorite receiver was Lynn Swann, but Anquan to me is way over #88. Sign and pay this guy what he really is worth. Anquan makes Fitz a better player.

4. By Rugbymuffin on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

I will never ever understand why some fans jump on the media hype band wagon, and try to march Anquan Boldin out of town.

It is uncalled for. Q, had his moment when he tried to re-negotiate his contract but that is it.

He emotions on the field/sideline have been a part of him and his game since he was a rookie. People fail to forget he lost his temper earlier in the career (over a call on the field) and we regrettable about it. Now that the national media wants Boldin in a big market team, they make a mountain out of every mole hill that can be found when it comes to Boldin not being happy in AZ.

The man plays with fire, and with a lot of pride. Anquan and A-Dub are the heart and soul of this team. Both are classy guys, that play at another level of intensity. Boldin should be a Cardinal for life, he deserves his raise and new contract, and hopefully he will get it just like A-Dub got last year.

The story above is no surprise to me. As I stated before he is a classy guy, and full of heart.

5. By Javier Montoya on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

I look up to Q. He’s an awesome awesome dude.

6. By Rontechia clark on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

I’m just like Deon Sanders (PAY THE MAN)……

7. By Eazy E on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

Anquan is a great player and person. My favorite player is Q. I like my boy Fitz but Q is my favorite overall player. He really deserves everything he gets.

8. By NMFAN on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

Q is the man. Unbelievable talent and a great guy. I have no doubt that he wants to be a Cardinal until he retires and he should be. I don’t think I could stand to see him in another uniform. Hopefully the two sides work something out after the season. Q, more than any player, helped transform this team into a S.B. caliber team with his passion and guts. Congrats Q for everything you’ve accomplished professionally and personally and please stay Cardinal red.

9. By TucsonTim on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

Changing agents seems to have made a big difference. Hope he stays healthy and gets paid what he deserves.

10. By Dave W on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

I recently read an article about Pahokee, Florida. (Hope the spelling is right) This is where Q is from. He came from very little and worked hard to get where he’s at. Ask him about the “Muck Bowl”. Very interesting. Play hard Q. We are behind you!