Warner’s role — The best

Posted by Darren Urban on December 1, 2009 – 9:45 pm

A few weeks ago, Larry Fitzgerald was named the most dangerous wideout in the league by his peers, according to Sports Illustrated. The latest Sports Illustrated players’ poll asked which active NFL player is the top role model, on and off the field. Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner was the choice.  He beat out Peyton Manning — another solid choice — but really, isn’t it a no-brainer? Warner’s a winner, a Pro Bowler and simply an excellent human being. What else do you need in a role model?

Tags: ,

12 Responses to “Warner’s role — The best”

1. By Logan Marcum on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

Warner wins because of his professed passion for Christ. Plain and simple. His faith enables him to act saintly on and off the field. I have a feeling Peyton is similar, but he just doesn’t talk as much. Warner just acts so positively. The fact that he goes to feed the homeless every year is just one among several things.

2. By Big Red on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

How lucky can this organization and we the fans be, to have Kurt on our side. This is a blessing to the organization that has had so many years of frustration. I believe he has done more to the team in believing what they can do as a team. #1 FAITH!

3. By Craig on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

4. By Eli Vergara on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

Something else to say about Kurt being a role model. His wife, Brenda Warner is also a passionate Christian, and one who deeply believes in doing good to others. I am sure the fact that Kurt is such a role model has a lot to do with both of them following their faith deeply.
    Here in Arizona, we know what both of them do for many people… and I am sure there are many things we still don’t know. We are vey proud of them for setting a great example

5. By Scott on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

“Warner win because of his skill, not his faith. Faith never made someone throw straighter, run faster, catch better.”

No, but it did make a blind man see, a paralytic walk, and a man walk on water. Still impressive, no?

6. By Ditship on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

I don’t share the same beliefs Warner does but I do respect the man for who he is and what he stands for. Many people don’t have the passion he has and a lot that do aren’t willing to put it out there like he does. As far as I can tell you get exactly what you see with Warner. That seems to be a rarity with humanity as of late.

7. By Brad on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

Warner won because of his faith off the field, and his leadership on the field, skill plays no part of being a role model, how you conduct yourself does. And as far as faith never made anyone throw straighter, run faster, or catch better, it does say that we can do all things through christ.

8. By Eazy E on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

Kurt is definitely deserving of the honor. He is strong in faith and believes in Christ as Logan Marcum says. Great player and even greater person.

9. By James Stanton on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

Congrats Kurt. You would be my choice too.

10. By Javier Montoya on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

Another great person to model your life after. Fight through the bad, gain your place, and give back.

11. By William Lutz on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

Of course, I think Kurt is very deserving of this level of respect from his peers. In a larger sense, I get the feeling the Cardinals, themselves, are a very spiritual team. I remember during last year’s playoffs, players other than Kurt (Bertrand Berry and Terrelle Smith come to mind) also talked openly about their devotion to Christ and how they felt their relationship with Christ not only made them better football players, but better people. In fact, in Kurt’s new book, First Things First, even Coach Whisenhunt talks a little religion.

Granted, I am not sure what all this means about football, but in terms of pure humanity, I don’t think you can find a group of athletes in this day and age with the humility and decency as this group and I am sure their individual and collective spirituality has a lot to do with it.

12. By Big Red on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

To Lutz, Thank You for your response. You read between the lines.