Waiting to see on a QB

Posted by Darren Urban on December 4, 2009 – 12:37 pm

Well, when it comes to Kurt Warner playing Sunday, I like his chances better than Mike Gandy. Other than that, it is still up in the air what happens at quarterback for the Cards, whether Warner can play for the first time since his concussion or whether Matt Leinart will start for a second straight game. Coach Ken Whisenhunt said it’s going to come down to game day to make the choice, as the quarterbacks continued to split work Friday.

As for Gandy, he missed practice again Friday as he went to the doctor to check out his injury to the pelvic area. Whisenhunt wasn’t ruling him out yet, but it would seem likely we will see Jeremy Bridges at left tackle Sunday night.

Tags: , , ,

20 Responses to “Waiting to see on a QB”

1. By Javy Montoya on Dec 4, 2009 | Reply

I know you’ll all think I’m crazy but right now I would say wait on Kurt one more week and let Matt play a tough team. I think we could do it with him and in turn protect Kurt’s health for this upcoming attempt for a run. The D responded real well last week and did a great job containing that O. We were there to win it with 6 sec. so lets see if we can put it on their shoulders again. Of course I’d love to see Kurt not be in this situation at all. We need him. Its just so shakey it seems. I don’t know whats better. A optimistc Kurt whom even if he starts will still be questionable or a inexperienced Matt whom has desire to show the nation he’s for real and still is in question in that. It seems we’ll be concerned of ether QB’s perfromance in the end but best luck to Kurt or Matt and I hope Kurt in the end will be in great health. Either way im pumped up baby! Huge game!!LETS GO CARDINALS……LETS GO CARDINALS…..LETS GO CARDINALS…..

2. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 4, 2009 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Do you know extent of the injury? Does this pelvic injury prevent him from turning left to right ( hip motion ? ) Is it like bruised or strain abdomen muscles?

It wouldn’t make sense to put Mike in if he is limited like that, Jared Allen would have an extreme advantage coming off the end.

3. By darrenurban on Dec 4, 2009 | Reply

Kauai —

I doubt he’s going to play.

4. By William on Dec 4, 2009 | Reply

Javy Montoya, you do know that we gave up almost 600 yards?

5. By Vince on Dec 4, 2009 | Reply

I say San Fran wins, Warner plays. They lose, keep him fresh another week and let Leinart start

6. By Brett Chesbro on Dec 4, 2009 | Reply

If Leinart plays it’s an L, but if Warner plays, we still need to protect him and we didn’t do that last time against the Vikings. Jared Allen lived in our backfield. The O line is not playing with pride and our defense needs to show it can dominate this team.

7. By Mike T on Dec 4, 2009 | Reply

Hey Darren,

If you had to guess, who would start on Sunday: Warner or Leinart? I just can not see Kurt sitting on Sunday Night, especially with a big team coming to town. I know he had a concussion, but if he is 80-85%, I think he has to give it a go. He’s Arizona’s best chance to win.

8. By darrenurban on Dec 4, 2009 | Reply

Mike T —

I have absolutely no sense on this. It’s 50-50. I thought Kurt was going to play last week, so …

9. By Dick on Dec 4, 2009 | Reply

Do we know the inactives yet?

10. By darrenurban on Dec 4, 2009 | Reply

Dick —

Those aren’t announced until 90 minutes before kickoff.

11. By Joe on Dec 4, 2009 | Reply

Hey, Vince, I like that idea — I hadnt thot of that one. Since we got flexed to the night game, we’ll know the result of SF/Seattle by our game time. If SF loses, sit Kurt and give him a little extra healing up time.

12. By Steve on Dec 4, 2009 | Reply

Please!!! The Cardinals have just as much chance of winning with Lienart as with Warner. The Key will be ball control through a solid run game. We need to keep the Vikings O off the field. We gave up almost 600m yards last week and could exceeed that in rushing with Petersen. With Lienart he can move the ball with short high percentage passes mixed with the run. Kurt wants to toss the ball all over the place, and that won’t work with that D that the vikes have. Have you seen their pass rush. To many 3 and outs and the Vikes put up 40 pts. The issue isnt the QB it the total offense and the D needs to STEP UP!

13. By Javier Montoya on Dec 4, 2009 | Reply

William-
    I actually didn’t know that stat but I knew we held a super hot quarterback and a super explosive running back to 20 pts. Points are all that matter in the end. I remain impressed with last weeks performance.I think Wolf said they were averaging 30 pts. a game coming in to that ball game.

14. By Ryan on Dec 4, 2009 | Reply

This is tough. I’d say cause it’s the vikings it would be really good to see Warner play, Two old guys still showing the younger guys how it’s done. And I think our offense is more settled and make better plays when Kurts out there. I just don’t think they have faith in Matt. On the other hand, if Matt does play, settles down and leads the team, and plays his best, even if we lose that will build the respect and faith, not only within the offense but more importantly within the whole team, fans and Matt himself. Plus, I’d rather Matt take hits from Allen, than Kurt..Matt’s younger, and he needs these types of experiences, but I’m still pulling for Kurt to recover and look forward to doing well in the playoffs.

15. By Ryan on Dec 4, 2009 | Reply

I forgot, a few more things.. NO matter who is playing QB, The team has to come together and play well on both sides of the ball. No room for error in this one. Defense, the front is really gonna have to hussle and keep Peterson’s #’s down. The secondary has to keep an eye on the passing game cause Brett is on a roll. The Cards defense is a great defense, they just have to stay intense all 4 qtr’s.
    Hightower, Wells, Boldin, Fitz, and the others have to play with intensity, and make plays, the have to take every down as if it’s 3rd, and 10. They have to keep the chains moving, and tire out the Vikings defense. And the line has to give the QB time… They have to protect the QB, and make the hole’s for the running game… They seem to struggle with this, this game will show the World if the Cards are for real, or if last year was a fluke…

16. By Matt on Dec 4, 2009 | Reply

I think QB is everything in this game. Lienart’s confidence is up but everything can fall apart in one interception. To beat a quality defense like Minnesota you need a veteran not rattled by mistakes, and can instinctively run through progressions. Three first half points wont cut it in this one. Warner is the difference in winning and losing against this team. The vikings are nothing like the Titans

17. By Mr. Viking4-ever on Dec 5, 2009 | Reply

I think everybody needs to take a big deep breath,count to 30,and it will be all over for ya!!!VIKINGS 38 CARDS 17!! SEE YA,WOULD’NT WANT TO BE YA!!

18. By Mark on Dec 5, 2009 | Reply

The Titans had 600 yards for one reason. The Cardinals couldn’t keep their offense off the field. That is because Leinart couln’t move the ball consistently enough to, one: score with any regularity, and two: couldn’t give the Cardinals defense the rest they needed to be able to finish strong. The TOP was close to even, but it shouldn’t have been to win this game. The Cardinals need to win the Time Of Possession agains the Vikings, or they won’t beat the Vikings. If you allow Favre to be on the field as long, or longer than the Card’s offense. the chances of winning are nil. Leinart does not control the TOP as well as Warner does….he simply doesn’t make enough clutch (3rd down) plays. No Warner…no win on Sunday.

19. By AZ11 on Dec 6, 2009 | Reply

Leinhart=excuse When Kurt Warner retires and you keep on losing with Leinhart I hope you can still have excuses for him.

20. By st llouie glo on Dec 6, 2009 | Reply

As a long time Cardinal fans, we in St. Louis are still pulling for them….except when they play our Rams of course. Kurt gave us the best years of football I had ever seen and I still follow his stats and hope he has a couple more good years. Let him play. He can get the job done. He will win it all for you.