Healthy, but fighting the bug

Posted by Darren Urban on December 11, 2009 – 1:36 pm

Linebacker Bertrand Berry missed practice today with the illness that seems to be going around — running back Jason Wright missed Thursday’s practice because of the bug — and coach Ken Whisenhunt said there were a few guys dealing with it on different levels. But Whisenhunt said it wouldn’t be an issue for the game, and injury-wise, the Cards remain in good shape. LT Mike Gandy continues to move around well, Whisenhunt said.

As a quick P.S., Kurt Warner won the FedEx air player of the week award, which is based on a nationwide fan vote. It’s the second time Warner has won. Both times, FedEx has donated $1,000 in Warner’s name to a Phoenix-area Safe Kids coalition.

Tags: , , ,

15 Responses to “Healthy, but fighting the bug”

1. By Kalib on Dec 11, 2009 | Reply

Do you think that Kurt cares about these awards? I know he is very modest, but they have to mean something to him right?

2. By darrenurban on Dec 11, 2009 | Reply

Kalib —

Honestly, no, I don’t think he cares. True story — for whatever reason, one of his MVP awards from his days in St. Louis was never delivered to him. It was discovered and the trophy was sent to Mark Dalton, VP of media relations, to give to Kurt. All Kurt had to do was come get it. It was in Mark’s office forever. Again, I am sure he’ll reflect fondly later, but right now, he says he doesn’t care much for awards/records, and I believe him. (Now, start talking to him about his Hall of Fame chances, and he’s a little more into that, but I think that has less to do with the Hall and more about people still doubting him).

3. By Aaron on Dec 11, 2009 | Reply

It’s too early to say yet, but if Bridges performance was a true indication if his talent, do you know if the Cards have looked at inserting him a right tackle? Levi Brown continues to be the weak point of our OL, and to top it off he continues to be the number called most times there is an OL penalty such as false start. I like Gandy, but I think our line would be improved with Bridges in place of Levi.

4. By darrenurban on Dec 11, 2009 | Reply

Aaron —

No, I don’t think they will use Bridges over Levi. Given the current scenario, they need to be patient with Levi since he is more likely to be there long-term over either Gandy or Bridges.

5. By Steve on Dec 11, 2009 | Reply

With the struggels of the Steelers has there been any talk about the path the Rooney’s could have gone in taking Whiz or Grimm especially based on the Cards performance over the last two years?

6. By darrenurban on Dec 11, 2009 | Reply

Steve —

Well, Tomlin led them to a Super Bowl win last season, so I’m guessing no.

7. By Stacey on Dec 11, 2009 | Reply

I hate to be this way, but I find a tiny bit of pleasure watching the Steeler’s season spiral down into nothingness. 🙂

8. By Kenny on Dec 11, 2009 | Reply

Aaron,

Levi Brown is the best run blocker on the team, and in my personal opinion, it’s not even close. The guy man-handles anyone in front of him when the Cards run the ball. Now, in pass protection he still lacks some lateral quickness, and his false start penalties make me want to strangle him. Nonetheless, he’s a solid starter with more potential than anyone else on the roster.

9. By Former Steeler Fan on Dec 11, 2009 | Reply

There’s a reason that I use “Former Steeler Fan” for my “Name”.
    I was a loyal Steeler fan since I was a teenager. (It helped that I grew up in PA)
    When Cower left, I (and many other Steeler fans) thought that Whiz was the most qualified replacement.
    However, I believe that Dan Rooney thought that he had to “walk the walk” and fully implement his Rooney Rule i.e. not only interview Tomlin, but hire him. Reading the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette during that period, Tomlin knocked the interviewers socks off with his energy and personality etc.
    The rest is history.
    We’re fortunate that the Bidwells and Rod Graves recognized Whiz’s ability.
    Re: the Steelers winning the Super Bowl; they won on a fluke. How many times has a LB (Harrison) run an interception 100 yards for a TD in a regular season game, let alone a Super Bowl?
    This season will be an enormous success if the Cards do well in the playoffs and the Steelers sit home!

10. By Derek on Dec 11, 2009 | Reply

Given Warner’s recent success why have they not started re-producing Warner’s Crunchtime Flakes cereal? I think it would be neat to see him wearing red on the front of the box opposed to the white and blue he had when they made the cereal ten years ago.

11. By LUKE on Dec 12, 2009 | Reply

former steeler fan,im a die hard cards fan but i really dont believe the steelers super bowl win was a fluke.what i dont believe is that tomlin”led”them to the super bowl.cowher did all the work.i dont really think tomlin had to do much.they were already a championship team.what coach whiz has done is way more impressive.it will be interesting to see what tomlin does after a losing season this year…..

12. By Rich on Dec 12, 2009 | Reply

Thanks for the post Stacey. I thought I was the only one with that thought about the Steelers. Its unfortunate however the Cardinals are soaring!

13. By Kalib on Dec 12, 2009 | Reply

Thank you Darren. I love the blog! Your one of the few bloggers who interact with us. We do this together.

14. By shannon robinson on Dec 13, 2009 | Reply

Thank you Kenny. This is a Russ Grimm line.I think we might run block better than we pass block -Levi for sure. Graves gave Coach Grimm the number one pick to start off the program but has also given him offensive line draft picks each year. Brandon Keith was Grimm’s pick last year in the seventh round and Wolfley says he looks like a number one. This year Coach Grimm told the Human Planet “I can show you how to play this game,” and then they drafted him. On the practice squad is Canfield who is a hard man and physically kinda looks like Grimm. Great for us that Graves and Grimm had faith in Sendlein and brought in Claxton who has experience and then the Cards didn’t chase an offensive center in the draft. The scheme that blocked J. Allen was all Russ Grimm. Gandy is a good left tackle and Bridges is an extraordinay back up. Looks like we might be a running team…

15. By Mattman on Dec 13, 2009 | Reply

It really is nice that a person on the inside is able to give us the little tidbits of info that we would not otherwise be able to get. I read all of the posts and look often to see if new posts are up. Thanks for the insight.