Fitz better as Cards move toward Sunday

Posted by Darren Urban on December 17, 2009 – 1:46 pm

Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald did more at practice Thursday and while he was still limited, he said he was feeling better than Wednesday and continues to believe he will play Sunday in Detroit. There wasn’t much change to the injury report; DE Kenny Iwebema returned to limited work with his shoulder injury, and cornerback Michael Adams (hamstring) was able to practice fully. No one else changed. T Mike Gandy (pelvis) didn’t practice and coach Ken Whisenhunt said there was no update on him. Kicker Neil Rackers (groin) sat out too, and said his tear will likely need a week or two to heal.

P.S. Don’t forget about the Big Red Rage tonight, with host Bertrand Berry bringing aboard cornerback Bryant McFadden as the guest. As usual, it’s at 6 p.m. at Majerle’s Sports Grill in Chandler, and if you can’t make it, it’ll be on Sports 620 KTAR.

Tags: , , , , , ,

11 Responses to “Fitz better as Cards move toward Sunday”

1. By Vaegrin on Dec 17, 2009 | Reply

The Cards should be careful with Larry if only to make sure he doesn’t aggravate the injury if he plays.

2. By Chris on Dec 17, 2009 | Reply

Is it me, or does Kenny Iwebema seem to always be on the injury report?
    And what’s the update on Spach, is he practising?

3. By darrenurban on Dec 17, 2009 | Reply

Chris —

Kenny has been on the injury report with a knee, thumb and shoulder of late. But he’s almost always playing and doing a good job on special teams. Spach is practicing, but I don’t expect him to be active with Becht and Patrick in there.

4. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 17, 2009 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Not that you could tell me, how did Kurt look in practice, specifically the zip on his passes? His passes looked pretty weak Monday night. Not that Kurt has the strongest arm, but his passes against the 49ers looked slow and many resembled semi-wounded ducks.

5. By Jesus on Dec 17, 2009 | Reply

a little off the wall but Monday night kurt looked to be limpimg a bit a couple of times, he took that hit at the end of the vikings game. is it still affecting him and not saying anything, if so this can hurt the team later.

6. By darrenurban on Dec 17, 2009 | Reply

Ottis, Jesus —

I think Kurt will be OK. I agree he looked out of sorts Monday. Something tells me, indoors against the Lions, it will be much different Sunday. I will write on the topic tomorrow on the homepage.

7. By Former Steeler Fan on Dec 17, 2009 | Reply

Darren, did any tight ends catch passes on Monday?

8. By darrenurban on Dec 17, 2009 | Reply

Former —

No, there were no catches by tight ends.

9. By shannon robinson on Dec 18, 2009 | Reply

Jesus, Ottis –
    At least we have to acknowlege that part of having our great QB and he really is sensational, is that sometimes the ball floats and sometimes we get to watch that heart wrenching left handed fumble/pass that Kurt doesn’t give up on. He’s also the guy who steps into the rush and will take a hit to get the pass off – only the great ones do that (remember Aikmen getting knocked out by I think Ken Harvey and throwing the TD pass in Phoenix Stadium to win the game). Kurt can also throw a hard ball when he has time and mostly upright. I expect he has a big game.

10. By NM Cards Fan on Dec 18, 2009 | Reply

I hope Fitz comes out an finally breaks out like he did in the playoffs. He is a stellar player, but if he doesn’t we still have Q, Breaston, Doucet so compared to other teams we actually are good at WR, but with Fitz in it does give the others the one on one matchups.

11. By Former Steeler Fan on Dec 18, 2009 | Reply

Re: NO catches by tight ends on Monday.

Just as I suspected.

I am surprised, especially since Whiz was a tight end, that he doesn’t throw, at least OCCASIONALLY to a tight end.

I know. I know. The Cards have superior wide outs. But, sharing the passes would seemingly allow the wide outs to face less coverage. As it is, the defense can somewhat disregard the threat of the tight ends. Successful teams e.g. Colts, Chargers, Patriots and Cowboys employ their tight ends in the passing game.