Beanie could use some votes

Posted by Darren Urban on December 22, 2009 – 9:50 am

After his first 100-yard game in the NFL — 110 yards and a touchdown on only 17 carries — running back Beanie Wells is up for the Pepsi rookie of the week award. That is determined by a fan vote, which can be done here. His competition? Steelers wideout Mike Wallace (two TD catches), Packers linebacker Clay Matthews (two sacks), Bucs quarterback Josh Freeman (two TD passes) and Lions safety Louis Delmas (that 100-yard interception return against the Cards).

Tags:

20 Responses to “Beanie could use some votes”

1. By James Sancto (the English Cardinal) on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

I think that Beanie Wells could be the best RB to come out of the draft. Knowshon Moreno, the first RB out of the draft, has more yards but has only a reasonable average yardage per carry of 4.2. Donald Brown, number 2, has been relatively unproductive ( although that could be due to Peyton Manning’s abilities).
    Beanie has showed good speed and power that has helped the team. Even though he has been the ‘backup’ and splits carries with Tim Hightower, he has shown some great qualities

2. By Rick on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

While I am pretty stoked about Beanie’s effort on Sunday vs. Detroit there are two things that we need to keep in balance. First, on his 34 yard run in the 4th quarter he almost fumbled again. I know almost only counts in horseshoes but you can’t completely ignore the elephant in the room if it hasn’t left. Second, and to me most important, he was unable, on more than one occasion to convert 3rd and 1. We say he is a physical runner and although the line MUST bear some responsibility the RB has to make at least positive yards. Not trying to rain on the Beanie parade but just want to keep things in perspective.

3. By Doug on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Moreno’s YPC is down to 3.9 after this week’s game. Beanie has been the most productive rookie back. And could quite possibly win the ROY. Especially with Harvin’s injury situation.

4. By tbru on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

I voted for Beanie, but as much as I hate to say it Louis Delmas is provably more deserving. And that picture of Clay Matthews, he could be the son of Brett Favre lol

5. By Jesse Robles on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Darren:
    You think you could talk to someone and see if they could do RED Towels for our home playoff game, if they even do it. It is just kind of weird that we are called the Red Sea and hand out White towels? Red Towels, Red on Red Uniforms, all they need is Red Helmets, that would be sick!! GO CARDS, and GO BEANIE!!

6. By darrenurban on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Jesse —

Your message has been passed along.

7. By jeff on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

I cannot wait until, the coach trusts Beanie as the number 1. When Beanie proves he can hold on to the ball week in week out then he will get the job. That will make him in my opinion one of the leagues best!

8. By Kevin Geisler on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Hey Darren I have an odd suspicion that Beanie may be running hard this weekend to make a reach for 1,000. If any one up and coming player could do it right know I’d say it’s Beanie.

9. By Mike"Pay Q" on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Jeff,

Why is is so important to you that the coach call Beanie the “#1 back”? He was in on the 2ns PLAY OF THE GAME,a which was the first run play. WHy does it matter if he is in on the 1st play so much? He has gotten more caries than Hightower even though he has more fumbles and sometimes is lost in pass protection.

Rick, so you expect a running back to gain positive yardage on a running play when he gets hit by 3 guys in the backfield? Sorry but that is unrealistic. A. Peterson, C. Johnson would not be able to do that, heck not even Walter Payton or Jim Brown could do that. If Beanie did not gain ground when there was good blocking, I would agree, but there wasn’t.

10. By carter on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

BEANIE AS STARTING RUNNING BACK!!!!!!! WE NEED HIM HE HIS GREAT!!!! GIVE HIM 90% OF THE CARRIES AND WE’LL GO TO THE SUPER BOWL!!!

C’MON KEN WHISENHUNT, WE REALLY NEED A GREAT RUNNING BACK AND WE HAVE ONE. PUT BEANIE AS STARTER!!!!!!!!!

11. By Year2Remember on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Go Beanie! I just keep thinking of how good the back field will look next year! But first, THE PLAYOFFS. . .AGAIN! Stoked doesn’t even describe! Darren- By the way when are the playoff tickets suppose to go on sale? I NEED SOME!

Oh yeah, I agree. Red towels are a MUST!

12. By darrenurban on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Year2 —

Playoff tickets won’t go on sale until we know the opponent, most likely.

13. By Chris on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

opponent will be NFC East second place (wild card) finisher. Most likely Dallas, but possibly Phily or NYG. WIld cards cannot play opener vs. their own division. Minnesota will not lose to Chicago next week and it will be tough for cards to get first round bye, although it would be a god send for this hurting team.

But, they did it last year! Go Cards!

14. By darrenurban on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Chris —

That’s not correct. Baseball has a rule where the wild card cannot face the division champ from its own division, but in football, that does not matter. If the Eagles are the No. 3 seed and the Cowboys are the second wild-card team (or vice versa), the Cowboys and Eagles would indeed meet in the wild-card round.

15. By Amanda Anway on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Go Beanie….I cast my vote. Watched him at OSU love him…should be RB1…keep it up…you the man!!!!!

16. By Ross on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Darren, Is Hightower’s thumb injury at all responsible for his decreased role in the offense? He was on quite a roll until those back to back fumble games.

Is whiz going to continue riding Beanie or do you think Timmy has a chance to work back into the carry rotation?

Its certainly a nice problem to have two good young backs, I would just like to keep both actively sharing carries.

Thanks,

Ross

17. By darrenurban on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Ross —

We will see. Obviously Beanie is playing very well and I would doubt they would pull away from him while he plays like this. Will that cost Hightower carries? Probably. But Hightower will remain part of the offense.

18. By cardzrule on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Jesse darrenurban on the red towels im thinking PLAYOFFS ??????????CUZ I LOVE THAT IDEA……….RED SEA BABY……

19. By NM Cards Fan on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

I have really liked seeing the run game mature, Beanie is a good powerful runner and has shown that on a few instances. He does tend to run loose with the ball. The combo of him and Hightower is great, also Hightower has caught some passes too, weapons at Kurt’s disposal, they all just need to calm down and hold onto the ball.

Red towels 100%, they should become the standard.

20. By Jesse Robles on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

NM Cards Fan:
    I agree, they should be standard, I just bring a red shirt to the games with me. It would be sick, especially like at the Vikings game, or possibly the Packers or Cowboys Playoff game, we would have to do a White Out/Black Out when we play the Niners though.