The Warner’s annual home surprise

Posted by Darren Urban on December 23, 2009 – 9:54 am

Kurt and Brenda Warner, as they do every year through their “First Things First” foundation, surprised a family Tuesday by helping furnish a home the family — usually headed up by a single mom — worked so hard to purchase. This year it was Angela Perez and her 8-year-old son Joshua, who had just gotten a home in Mesa after Perez had put herself through school to become a medical assistant and then saved for a down payment.

“I was thinking at night, ‘How am I going to get furniture? What am I going to do?’ ” Perez said. “This just relieves a lot of stress, a lot of pressure.”

The program has always been important to the Warners, especially Brenda, who before she met Kurt was a single mom with two kids and using food stamps. “It sounds like this woman does what she has to do, and I like being surrounded by people like that,” Brenda Warner said.

The unveiling is always a surprise to the family, which gets furniture, appliances, linens, beds and other things needed within the house. Various corporate partners like Aaron’s, U-Haul, Safeway and S Mattress Liquidators also help out. “One thing I realized throughout my football career is you can work hard and work for opportunities, but a lot of times along the way you need someone to believe in you,” Kurt Warner said. “That’s what this program is all about.”

Tags:

7 Responses to “The Warner’s annual home surprise”

1. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

That’s awesome! Best Role model ever!!

2. By Barbara wurzbach on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

How neat of the warners!!! Such a blessing to AZ

3. By Aaron Lone-Eagle on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

Kurt Warner is an amazing man, I hope one day I get the opportunity to meet him in person. Kurt, the things you do for your communityis, in my opinion stellar. The City of phoenix is extremely lucky to have you. What I really think is amazing about you is, you had the chance to go to play for the 49ers for alot more money, and you follwed what God put into your heart, and came back to Az for alot less money. All I ever haer about you is all of the wonderful things you do for you community. In all the conversations that have been spoken regarding you, I have never heard anything negative said about you, even going back to your St. Louis days. You are a man among men. I hope someday that I can be half the man you are. I have never met you, but I feel as though you have changed my life. You make me want to be a better person, husband, and father to my 5 year old. I hope one day I get the opportunity to meet you. You and Anquan. Take care of yourself this holiday season. Have a Merry Christmas and may God continue to Bless you, the way you have blessed so many lives!

4. By Steve Finical on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

Though I’m in Ohio and will always be a Browns fan I have been following the Cards the past two years and love them. Kurt Warner is the primary reason why! He is a man’s man, a family man, a community man, and most of all (and the reason he’s all the aforementioned), he’s a man of God! Blessings on the Warner family this Christmas!

5. By Lesa Urban on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

The Warners are the best people!! and Kurt Warner is the BEST QB EVER!!!! please dont retire!!!
    thank you for all you have done in St. Louis!!
    you are what EVERY one should be as a role model!!

6. By Nat Hall on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

Way to go, Kurt and Brenda Warner! Truly utilizing the platform that they have been given to do all they can to help people yet always giving the glory to God. Kurt is the kind of example of being a true man doing things the way that God has led him, no matter what the circumstances are. Not only a great example for my son, but for me as well. Thank you and God bless you!

7. By Mattman on Dec 25, 2009 | Reply

I hate to say this, but I got all teared up while reading this blog entry. I only wish that I could be more receptive to what God has in store for me.