Haggans, Wright embrace postseason chance

Posted by Darren Urban on January 7, 2010 – 10:32 pm

The common theme for the Cardinals is that they are trying to repeat the run they made a season ago.

But what about the players that didn’t make that run?

Running back Jason Wright wasn’t with the team a year ago, languishing in Cleveland before signing with the Cards as a free agent. Linebacker Clark Haggans was with the team, but didn’t play down the stretch in the regular season or the postseason because he was sent to injured reserve with a foot injury.

“It ate at me day after day to see them flying around and I was just hanging around, hanging out, injured and in a cage, basically,” Haggans said.

At least Haggans had had plenty of previous playoff experience with the Steelers, winning  a Super Bowl after the 2005 season. Wright was with the Falcons in 2004 when they beat St. Louis in the divisional round and then lost to Philadelphia in the NFC Championship. But he wasn’t playing – he appeared in just two games that season – so he’d rather think this is his first go-round.

“Does not count at all,” Wright said of that 2004 playoff. “I used to try and claim it early in my career, oh yeah, in the NFC Championship. Yeah right. I was on the active roster but didn’t dress for the game. No pressure. Knew I wasn’t going to play.”

That’s not a problem for Wright these days.

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to “Haggans, Wright embrace postseason chance”

1. By Tyrelle on Jan 7, 2010 | Reply

I expect them both to contribute. Who knows? Either one may be an X-Factor.

2. By BluePitt on Jan 7, 2010 | Reply

Not topic related but can I put a 2010 Cardinal Playoff Pick up on my sight linking back to azcardinals.com? or can I get in trouble for using the logo?
    Thanks

3. By darrenurban on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

BluePitt —

Of course I have no problem with links back to our site. Not sure about the use of the logo, though.

4. By shannon robinson on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Graves made some early decisions on the Cards roster that might have surprised some people in the business. Size is not a big deal to the Cards – Adams and Hyphen have played like big people in a little body. More important is that age is not a cut off either. The Cards have gotten a lot of veterans in their 30’s through the season. Mr. Graves and Coach Whisenhunt have put our chips on veterans that we all believe in Cards camp are not over the hill but will rather know what it takes to play big time ball at playoff time; Haggans, Chike, Bertrand, Robinson, Brown, Rackers, Graham, Kreider, Becht and our leader Kurt Warner. The Packers start five rookies on defense.So for our gang of wiley veterans: is it craft or toughness or pride or just the ability to train and direct your desire to win. I’ll be proud to watch some true professionals – Go Cards – shock Wisconsin.

5. By Patrick on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Geez I love guys like Wright and Hagans, bravo for the Cards getting such really solid men. These are great men. Nice job putting the spot light on them. Thanks.

6. By Big Red on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

When Haggans was with Pittsburgh, he was my favorite player. So, I was overjoy when the Cardinals sign him. Great job Mr. Graves.