After great win, Warner isn’t leaving yet

Posted by Darren Urban on January 10, 2010 – 7:05 pm

So much to write, and I’m sure I’ll be doing it deep into the night after the emotional 51-45 overtime win, but this piece of news is important: Kurt Warner doesn’t know if he is retiring yet.

As expected, Warner said he would wait to make any retirement decisions until after the season — and not right after either — and after talking to his family. “You never want to make an emotional decision,” Warner said, “whether it is right after a great game like this and you think, ‘I can play forever’ or a bad game and say, ‘I’m done.’ ”

As for the victory lap afterward, which could have been seen as a goodbye to the fans, well, it was. Just not necessarily a permanent goodbye. “It was my way of saying thanks to the fans because I knew we have no chance to have another home game,” Warner said.

Tags: ,

36 Responses to “After great win, Warner isn’t leaving yet”

1. By GASMAN on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

CARDINALS!! i love u darren urban! i love everyone! joy!

2. By Logan on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

That was the most bias game calling I have ever heard! Troy aikman was the worst all he talked about was how amazing the packers were.
    Troy aikman is the Bill Walston of the NFL!

3. By chris on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

I LOVE YOU KURT

4. By Fred P on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

best playoff game ever played in thh nfl card advance to the next round

5. By scott on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

thanks for the update darren. have you ever seen a better qb performance?

6. By darrenurban on Jan 11, 2010 | Reply

Scott —

Kurt’s game in Chicago wasn’t too shabby.

7. By old cards fan on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

what a game im exhausted….. to watch a cards game you must have a strong heart and faith.a great team win but the def.backs must play better next week in new orleans. (is it me or did it feel like troy aikman & joe buck were rooting for the packers )

8. By dave on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Urban,

An amazing game and a great win. You’re right that there is too much to say. Obviously there are concerns (D, no special teams adjustment up 14, etc.), but let us just enjoy the moment. These types of wins are few and far between. Kurt played flawlessly, Coach W had some great schemes, and the D really did win the game (1 td and 3 TOs). What was the player’s attitude? Thanks Mr. Urban.

9. By darrenurban on Jan 11, 2010 | Reply

Dave —

I think the players were happy and tired. It’s a short week. It’ll be interesting to see how they respond Saturday.

10. By Vivek on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Who would want to miss all this fun ! Tell me this Darren, can a player walk away from a contract ?

11. By darrenurban on Jan 11, 2010 | Reply

Vivek —

A player can retire anytime, although the player does risk the team asking for a pro-rated part of the signing bonus back.

12. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

If anyone in the media has any question that Kurt isn’t a first-ballot Hall of Famer, they should be ridiculed to no end.

Regardless of what happens Kurt, you’re my all time favorite QB. There isn’t a better class act and role model in the NFL than you — Live Long and Prosper!!!

13. By david magee on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Kurt Warner has helped bring the Arizonia Cardinals to the place every fan wants their team to be, competitive, exciting, feared and Champions. The mold is cast and this team knows what it takes to continue success. If he is back for another season that will be great but if he is not, his character on the field and off is something true Champions are made of !

14. By Wampag on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

WOOOOO HOOOOOOOO

Adams what a fighter Whiz has a way of getting these guys their due and making them BELIEVE GO CARDS I thought I would have a heart attack woooo hoooooo GO CARDS

15. By Mark Patrick on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Why does this RETIREMENT talk start up before a big game. Living in St Louis, the first I heard of the possibility was on the pre game show.

I am a huge Kurt Warner fan and watch just about every game he plays in. Great game today, not much on the defense side until the last play of the game.

LETS PUT THIS RETIREMENT TALK WHERE IT BELONGS, IN THE CLOSET UNTIL THE OFF SEASON. NOT DURING A SUPER BOWL RUN.

Thanks

16. By Jesús Vazquez on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Warner was awesome.. Maybe his best game ever?

17. By Brandon on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

This truly was a great game for a great QB. Go Warner. Go Cards!!!

18. By spitfire772 on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

These people who say Kurt is likely to retire at the end of the playoffs…. Of course he is! He’s been that way for 2 or 3 years now! We’ll see where the rest of the playoffs take us and I wouldn’t be surprised if he retired, but he signed a contract and has played amazingly well. I can’t see him not following through with that contract unless he got injured, played badly, or we lost. None of those three happened, so I’m hoping he’ll go for another year. Great game Kurt!

19. By Scott Taylor on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Can anyone believe that game really happened? And does anyone have a voice. Cardinals are unbelievable

20. By l sonin on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

I think Warner is the consummate professional. He absolutely should not make as he put it ‘… an emotional decision…”. We certainly don’t want him doing what Favre did to the Packers. When he makes a decision, and I’m sure he will well after the season for the Cardinals is over (sometime in late February we hope), he will stick by that decision. It’s unfair to ask him now, but the media always wants that next headline.

21. By Buddy Hensley on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

We love you Kurt. Whatever you decide, thanks for the memories.

22. By Jess on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Great Win!
    Hey Darren-
    Why won’t the videos Cardinals Talk About 51-45 Overtime Win and the Pregame Rally Video won’t work/play? I could watch the highlights and post conference, but I couldn’t view the other ones….what’s wrong?

23. By darrenurban on Jan 11, 2010 | Reply

Jess —

I’m reading this at 1:50 a.m., so I’m not going to be able to check now. They should be OK though.

24. By Chuck on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Just gotta say this off topic….give ADAMS the game ball!!!! For as much as we were asking why was he still in……that guys came up HUGE!!!! How exciting for him!!!!! Tears Warranted!!!!!

25. By Tbru on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Just amazing , wow a game for the ages
    Congrats Cardinals

26. By Kauaicardsfan on Jan 11, 2010 | Reply

Wow, After that OT touchdown I jumped so high off the couch I thought I pulled my Hamstring! LOL

Go Cards!!!! Let the National media put you down so we can prove them wrong again!

Is there any possible playoff scenario that the Cards play again in our Stadium or would all the games be on the road now regardless cause of the seeding?

27. By darrenurban on Jan 11, 2010 | Reply

Kauai —

The only chance the Cards had to host another game is if the Eagles would have beat the Cowboys. If the Cards beat the Saints, they have to play in Minny or Dallas.

28. By Andrew on Jan 11, 2010 | Reply

It was a bit irritating to listen to Troy Aikman’s anti-Cardinal bias. It was pervasive throughout the game but as an example, Warner clearly got face-masked and hit on the head and Aikman repeated four times that it shouldn’t have been a penalty and there should have been a penalty on the Cardinals. It seems that with all of his own concussions, Aikman has forgotten the rules and importance of keeping the quarterback reasonably protected. Warner set it up with petulant carping about a missed flag on a similar play earlier in the game. By the way, Adams got a bit of mask on the final play though the officials would have needed protection if they had called a penalty on that play.

29. By kurt-4-mvp on Jan 11, 2010 | Reply

God Bless you Kurt. You are the best even though the media love isnt there as much as it should be. Much Respect

30. By kurt-4-mvp on Jan 11, 2010 | Reply

I fully agree. Troy Aikman is the worst commentator around. We have a LEGEND playing QB for the Cards. Give some respect QUITTER

31. By Paul15 on Jan 11, 2010 | Reply

Hey Kurt, why not ask Bret Favre how he came to a decision about retiring? With any luck, it will take a year or two for you to come to a decision.

32. By C-nuts on Jan 11, 2010 | Reply

Warner’s the man!!!!!!!!! DON’T RETIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33. By John on Jan 11, 2010 | Reply

Kurt is awesome no doubt. Lost in this crazy game is beanie ran very well. Beanie is huge next week . Seriously wanna see better defense next week. The aints aren’t all that. Smell the superbowl….great but agonizing win cards.

34. By Mesa Mike on Jan 12, 2010 | Reply

I sit in section 118. What a disgrace some of our fans were to calm, good natured Packers fans. Most of us were just needling in good fun and everything was cool with the Packers fans, but the number of staggering drunks was embarrassing. Guys were talking trash, but when this one Packers dude walked over and asked “could you repeat that?”, the guy apologized and starting asking him where he was from and all that crap. Most of us were fine, but one in four are jerks, can’t hold their beer, and wilt like girls when confronted. This one guy even acted like he was going to climb up seats to take on a guy with a Nitschke jersey, only to stop. The Nitschke guy was laughing the whole time. Hope New Orleans fans don’t have classless jerks like we do, I’m going to the game. Go Cards!

35. By darrenurban on Jan 12, 2010 | Reply

Mesa Mike —

I’ve included your comment because I think it is an important message to get across, but as you can see, I cleaned up some significant stuff. A heads-up: When you are trying to make a point about the behavior of some people, try not to write it in such a way that someone questions you as well.

36. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 12, 2010 | Reply

“The better the competition, the better Kurt plays. Look at his playoff history.”

– Dick Vermeil

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/01/12/warner/index.html#ixzz0cQd9X7xW