New wrinkle: Dockett/Watson blocking

Posted by Darren Urban on January 10, 2010 – 2:50 pm

On Tim Hightower’s TD run of one yard to open the scoring, his path was opened by the Cards’ two newest “fullbacks” — defensive linemen Darnell Dockett and Gabe Watson. Now that’s a wrinkle no one expected. Dockett did a really good job on the block, opening a hole that gives the Cards a crucial lead.

Tags: , , , ,

14 Responses to “New wrinkle: Dockett/Watson blocking”

1. By Danny Heksolson on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Oh my GOD IM CRYIN!!! GOOO CARDS!!!

2. By Tucsonaaron on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Great start keep it up guys! GO CARDS!!!

3. By Eazy E on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Loved that package. Big dockett 285 lbs with big gabe watson 330 lbs POWER FOOTBALL!!!

4. By Mike on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Just out of curiosity, are there rules about how the network announcers call the game? I don’t know if its just me but it seems like these guys are calling the game like Green Bay is supposed to win and that all theyre really saying. I thought it wa supposed to stay un-bais

5. By darrenurban on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Mike —

I think that, usually, fans feel the national announcers aren’t giving their team enough credit.

6. By Mike on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

haha thats probably a good call 🙂

7. By Blaxabbath on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Looking forward to see what other post-season tricks Coach Whiz has up his sleeve.

8. By Eric G on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

never doubted Whiz with his gameplan last week. In Whiz I trust.

9. By Blaxabbath on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Speaking of rules, what do you think of that horse collar tackle call earlier? The announcers were suggesting that the rule reads that the ball carrier has to be jerked down by the pads. Do you think it was a good call? Can you even challenge a penalty on grounds of the letter of the rule?

10. By darrenurban on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Blax —

I’d have to see the rule, but yes, I wondered about the Dockett one and I really didn’t think the Hayes one was a good call. And no, you can’t challenge a flag.

11. By Parker on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

I know I’m late, but, what about the “roughing the passer” penalty that was
    not assessed after the kick off? Did anybody notice but me?

12. By spitfire772 on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

It’s too bad there are some delusional Packer fans that are crying about the loss because of the facemask that they thought shoulda been called on the last play. Darren, do you think it should’ve been called? The official assigned to watch Rodgers was, on that play, looking at Rodgers’ back and it’s a very hard call to make from the back. Plus, it looks like Adams clearly grabs the facemask after the fumble, so wouldn’t we have retained possession anyway? Great blog, by the way!

13. By Steve W on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Loved that play! Also laughed at the comment re: the announcers on Fox. I got so angry at their commentating that I muted the TV, brought out my wife’s laptop and listened the livestream on KTAR. Heck, it’s always better listening to Ron Wolfley’s color commentating anyway. That’s how I’ll be listening to the Cards vs. Saints next Saturday.

GO CARDS!!!!!

14. By Ryan on Jan 12, 2010 | Reply

Parker –

If you’re talking about the roughing call on Warner’s TD pass to Larry in the third quarter, the penalty was enforced on the kickoff. Rackers kicked off from the 45 instead of the 30 and kicked it right through the goal posts.