Grimm and the hot dog

Posted by Darren Urban on January 13, 2010 – 6:23 pm

Russ Grimm has been in the spotlight a lot lately.

First and foremost, his offensive line played what coach Ken Whisenhunt said was its best game of the year against the Packers. He was recently named as one of the 15 finalists for this year’s Hall of Fame class, which will be announced the day before the Super Bowl. He of course is a candidate for the vacant head coaching job of the Buffalo Bills.

Then longtime Redskins offensive line coach Joe Bugel — who coached Grimm during Grimm’s decade-long run as a star guard for Washington — retired and had a farewell press conference Wednesday. And he told a story about Grimm.

And a hot dog.

I’d repeat the story here, but Dan Steinberg does a great job telling it, so click on the link. Safe to say Grimm didn’t want to let any food go to waste. I wouldn’t be eating dinner when you read it, though.

By the way, Grimm confirmed his former coach was telling the truth.

Tags:

12 Responses to “Grimm and the hot dog”

1. By Eric G on Jan 13, 2010 | Reply

God I hope he doesn’t get the job. Yeah I’m greedy, I want Grimm to stay. It’s a sad, yet great thing that coaches are getting plucked from the Cards. It shows how great the Staff is, yet it’s sad that we see them leave because it means we have to start over again. However, we can’t ask these guys to say no to a promotion and opportunity.

2. By Eric G on Jan 13, 2010 | Reply

And the hot dog story, freaking gross.

3. By cards62 on Jan 13, 2010 | Reply

Darren who was responsible for covering Green Bay’s tight end, Finley?
    Who do you think the Cards will put on Shockey Saturday for most of the game? I know we have played some very good tight ends this year and they have had success against us, but I do not recall a moster game like Finley had against us.

Thank you and go Cards!

4. By darrenurban on Jan 14, 2010 | Reply

Cards62 —

With Finley, it depended on the play. Obviously, a rough day for the secondary all around, but I believe Finley is going to be a star for years to come too.

5. By Tbru on Jan 14, 2010 | Reply

Enjoy your retirement Joe, too bad you had to put up with the coaching carousal in your last few years

6. By Eric Fontana on Jan 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Off topic here. First, thanks for all of your insight. You do a great job. There is a fantastic Spanish call of the game winning TD that was played on KTAR after the game as well as NFL Network. I don’t understand a word of it, until TOUCH-DOWN ARIZONA, ARIZONA, ARIZONA, ARIZONA. Can you post a link to it, or post it on this site?

Thanks.

7. By darrenurban on Jan 14, 2010 | Reply

Eric —

Gabriel Trujillo’s touchdown call is within this week’s Cardinals Underground podcast.

8. By Wampag on Jan 14, 2010 | Reply

hey Big D you read this: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4824879

sometimes the media just sux (no offense) I follow this team all year I feel like I know these players as well as I can without having met them

Rolle is the only defensive jersey I own and I bought it not only for the way he plays but the caliber of player he is

and then we start to creep into the spotlight like last year and here come the wolves

GO CARDS

9. By darrenurban on Jan 14, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

I appreciate how you feel. But I am around these guys all the time and I don’t really know them and, with all due respect, fans don’t know them.

Guys get misquoted. That said, in my reporting career, there have been many times that a guy claims he was misquoted because he later realizes he wish he hadn’t said what he said. Mike Silver’s issue is he doesn’t use a recorder, so there is always a he-said, he-said element. Matt Leinart and Silver went through the same thing in 2007.

There was a reason I didn’t address it yesterday. It’s impossible to know the truth. Personally, I think Antrel should have just left it alone. Would I be surprised that he said it? No. Do I think it had anything to do with Brees? No. I talked to Rolle after the Packers game. He couldn’t stop complimenting Aaron Rodgers. Whatever was said, it was to praise Rodgers. Brees didn’t have much to do with it.

10. By Eric G on Jan 14, 2010 | Reply

I do remember seeing Antrel say what he said, and all he meant was that he didn’t to face Rodgers again. Nobody could have a much better day than Rodgers had that day, except for Warner anyways.

People were making a big story out of it because two good teams playing eachother isn’t enough, there needs to be some drama. Nobody want’s to face Brees either.

11. By Scott Hornberger on Jan 14, 2010 | Reply

Seems like every year, someone comes out of the woodwork to consider Grimm for their head coach. And every year, it makes me very nervous. Honestly, I think losing him would be a bigger loss than losing Todd Haley was last year. The Cardinals need to do whatever they can to make him happy enough to not want to be a head coach somewhere else! Their entire offense could come back intact next year and fall of considerably if they lose Russ Grimm.

12. By darrenurban on Jan 14, 2010 | Reply

Scott —

It’s unrealistic to think the Cards will pay someone head coaching money to stay an assistant, especially if that person is motivated to become a head coach. That alone — aside from the money — is a dream for a lot of coaches.