Waiting to see on Boldin, Hayes

Posted by Darren Urban on January 13, 2010 – 1:44 pm

The injury report will come out today, but the only players that seem to be in limbo will be receiver Anquan Boldin (ankle), who missed practice, and linebacker Gerald Hayes (ankle), who also missed practice. Coach Ken Whisenhunt would only say the two were getting better, but there was no detailed discussion of the situation. The Cards are in decent shape with both spots if those players can’t go; we already saw how the Cards can make up for Boldin and behind Hayes, veteran Monty Beisel — playoff-tested from a year ago — was signed for this very possibility.

Tags: , ,

12 Responses to “Waiting to see on Boldin, Hayes”

1. By kauaicardsfan on Jan 13, 2010 | Reply

I really love coach Whiz and his coaching staff!!!! Their fore sight to cover this very problem, ( Jeremy Bridges, Biesel)
    Also preparing the backups to step into the role without much of a drop off goes back again making each person earn their spot and when they get their shot make the best of it!
    ” Like a well oiled machine”, Good teams get by, Great teams don’t miss a beat!!!

GO CARDS! TAKE IT ALL THIS YEAR!!!

2. By Red Supporter on Jan 13, 2010 | Reply

Any word on Monty’s conditioning?

And has early’s perfomance against the Pack shown in the form of increased confidence or anything this week in practice?

3. By darrenurban on Jan 13, 2010 | Reply

Red —

Monty is fine.

Early has already made his way into everyone’s confidence, even before last week. I don’t think much has changed.

4. By Matt on Jan 13, 2010 | Reply

i love Hayes, but he is a weakness against the pass, maybe Monty would be an upgrade and we should keep Hayes healthy for run teams like the Vikings or Cowboys should we win this week.

5. By Peter in Canada on Jan 13, 2010 | Reply

I agree that the Cards did not miss Boldin as much as they might have because Doucette has come on by leaps and bounds. I think the defence had problems because the offence kept scoring so quickly that they spent a lot of time on the field. I think Beanie Wells and the running game will have a big day against the Saints which will also help the defence.
    BEST OF LUCK CARDS.

6. By Joe2 on Jan 13, 2010 | Reply

Kauai-
    I really enjoy reading your posts from Hawaii with your MMA perspective (I loved the idea of beating on our rookies’ forearms with bamboo to stop the fumbling! They should hire you)
    But anyhow, for you and all the other guys from outside Arizona that have posted on here from Brazil, Australia, Canada, Germany, England, Wyoming, New York (?!), and on and on — I know everyone is looking ahead to the Saints, but one last little tidbit from the packers game was told by Clark Haggans on late Sunday local TV — he said in OT the defense was dead tired but when Greenbay walked out onto the field, they looked cocky, with a swagger like they knew it was all over, like nobody was going to stop them. He said it really fired up the defense — we know the result.

7. By Secret on Jan 13, 2010 | Reply

Darren:
    I read some of your articles/blogs and I noticed you said the cards do a dime (4-1-6?) formation? I thought it would be more logical for their defense to do a dollar (3-2-6) since they usually have 3 D-linemen on the edge and since hayes and dansby could have options blitzing or coverage. I haven’t noticed a 4-1-6 defense but I’m probably not looking when it happens. Perhaps they do a different set of the dime? This might sound dumb, but my question is, if the cardinals do the dollar instead of the dime, could it make a difference in the success of shutting down N.O. this week?

8. By darrenurban on Jan 13, 2010 | Reply

Secret —

The terms are usually a matter of semantics. When the Cards use 6 DBs, they are usually using Adrian Wilson almost as a linebacker. Dansby stays on the field often. Plus, while, for instance, Okeafor is a linebacker, in passing situations he may line up with a hand on the ground.

9. By kauaicardsfan on Jan 13, 2010 | Reply

Hey Joe2,
    Thanks for the compliments! Much Appreciated!! Its nice to connect with Cards fans around the world! Its been tough growing up on this little island and being the only one wearing Cardinals gear ( especially those tough years, dont we all know) and giving me weird looks.
    I cherish every win like this! I can watch these replays over and over without getting tired of it. My wife think I’m mental 🙂 Thank you Joe2 for filling us in with all that tidbits of info!!!

Much Mahalo’s Joe2, Darenn and the rest of the Cards fans out there!!!

NOW LETS DO THIS! THIS IS OUR YEAR!! GO CARDS!!!

10. By Card4L1fe on Jan 13, 2010 | Reply

I have heard talk about letting Boldin go ahead and leave and let the new guys take his place but people dont think about how he has made this team tough. He is a bad a– if you know what I mean. his outlook has brought this team to a diff level. With what the Cards have achieved in the past few years it will be hard to keep all the great players like Dockette, Dansby and Boldin among many others. I love watching these guys play with there hearts, you dont see it much anymore. Rock thier socks off this week end. Great looking lic plate.

11. By darrenurban on Jan 13, 2010 | Reply

Card4L1fe —

There is a difference between me advocating Boldin playing elsewhere (which I am not) and me bringing up the fact it could happen and why it could happen. Of course I believe this team is better with Boldin and I love what he brings to the table. But I have also seen what the lack of a new contract has done to Anquan and I understand the realities of building a team and picking and choosing what players (and positions) get the big dollars. Personally, I would rather see Boldin play his entire career as a Card and retire here, a la Adrian Wilson. I don’t know if the circumstances will allow it.

12. By richfrost on Jan 14, 2010 | Reply

What a fine bunch of football players and human beings in AZ….I was a die hard Rams fan forever and finally got to dump them when Kurt left….Starting out as a Warner fan I am now a die-hard cards fan….We need Q…Holt/Bruce (history)…Boldin/Fitz (FUTURE)….