And then it was quiet

Posted by Darren Urban on February 1, 2010 – 11:30 am

For the first time in a long time, I’m in the office this Monday.

I’ve been lucky enough in my job to have covered eight of the last nine Super Bowls, including the last seven in a row (missed the Rams-Patriots Tom Brady-coming-out-party because my second son was born). I didn’t think my streak was going to stay alive when I left newspapers to come work for the team, but that happened to be the year the game was held here in the Valley. Then, last year, a little magic got me a trip to Tampa. So finally, I am home and not in the center of the NFL universe.

The coaches are mostly off, although I saw Ken Whisenhunt in his office working on something. There really isn’t any offseason for the head guy.

— In the wake of the Kurt Warner retirement, our crack broadcast department is putting together a 30-minute special on the Cards’ former quarterback. It’ll premiere Thursday at 5:30 p.m. on Fox Sports Arizona, the first of many, many showings.

— Antrel Rolle made his Pro Bowl debut Sunday night with five tackles, while Darnell Dockett had one tackle in the NFC’s 41-34 loss to the AFC (and as a quick aside, Antrel addressed his tax issues with ESPN.com’s Mike Sando).

Tags: , , , , ,

19 Responses to “And then it was quiet”

1. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

With the real world emphasis on employee fitness and health and their ability to lessen healthcare costs for businesses, do you and other non-player staff have access to the Cardinal’s weight room during off-hours or the off-season? Or is there a separate fitness facility for staff (or no fitness center at all)?

2. By darrenurban on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

Ottis —

There is access to the weight room in off hours, although I rarely use it. I prefer my morning sessions at the neighborhood Y.

3. By Brayden on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

How is the Boldin situation coming along? Is he staying with the Cards?

4. By darrenurban on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

Brayden —

Still a little early in the offseason to know exactly what direction it will head but I would guess the Cards will explore trade possibilities again.

5. By Wampag on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

okay dumb question i know it

but D do you have any contact with team store?

wondering if Warners jersey will go on sale now

6. By darrenurban on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

I assume you mean will the price be cut, and I don’t have an answer on that.

7. By cardinalconvert on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren:

Can we get Kansas City’s #1 draft pick for Boldin? We need to beef up our defense. Everything thinks Boldin will go. How sad?

8. By darrenurban on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

cardinalconvert —

Uh, no, I don’t think Boldin is fetching a top 10 pick.

9. By Bobf on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

Can we get Peppers? Just think of him and 9-0 going for the QB

10. By darrenurban on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

Bobf —

I don’t see the Cards chasing Peppers — assuming they even can given they have to more or less “sit out” the start of free agency as a final eight team — because of his exorbitant price tag. You can’t give him the world and not take care of Dockett.

11. By Bobf on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

A guy can wish – and yes, he seems to be very expensive. I don’t know who will come up with that cash.

12. By Felix Carrillo on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know if you watched the pro-bowl last weekend, but Graham looked great. Do you think the cardinals have a chance drafting this college youngster? He would be perfect for beefing up our defense.

13. By darrenurban on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

Felix —

I assume you mean something besides the Pro Bowl. I’m not sure who Graham is — as I mentioned before, I don’t know much about the college guys until I attend the combine.

14. By Joe2 on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

Ottis-

You wouldnt believe all the different kinds of weight machines the Cards have, but the weight plates are mostly all humongous. They ship a lot of them up in semi-trucks to Flagstaff for the pre-season, but they dont look like they have any weight plates small enough for weenies like us normal sized humans. They just look scary. Or else you would feel like a bug on there, pushing your measly 100 pounds around. Dude, you wouldnt believe how massive and/or ripped these guys are in real life. If theyre not huge, theyre radically cut up.

15. By Eazy E on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

To my knowledge, we would have to lose a player that’s pricey to chase a big name i think we should offer dansby a final offer of about 7-8 mil per 20 or so mil guaranteed maybe a couple mil as incentives added on to the final contract if he doesn’t accept that let him test the free agent waters and go after a peppers or elvis dumervil.

16. By Marlon on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

I think Felix meant “Senior Bowl”.

17. By K-DUB on Feb 2, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

I see no receiver in a trade that could take Q’s place except for Andre Johnson. If we do trade him for picks what do you think the most we could get for him?

18. By darrenurban on Feb 2, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub —

Great question. I think that’s something the Cards are trying to find out themselves this offseason.

19. By Felix on Feb 2, 2010 | Reply

Sorry Darren, and Marion you are right. I meant the Senior-bowl. Thanks for the correction.