Grimm waits to hear about Hall

Posted by Darren Urban on February 5, 2010 – 1:06 pm

Not that Russ Grimm is the anxious type — I saw him yesterday briefly at the facility, wearing his big Harley jacket and ball cap, looking like he’s enjoying his down time — but the Cardinals’ assistant head coach/offensive line coach/run game coordinator has a big day Saturday as he has another chance to go into the Hall of Fame.

UPDATE: Grimm was elected to the Hall of Fame Saturday.

Grimm would get in not for his coaching, of course, but his days as the backbone of the Redskins’ famous “Hogs” offensive line. Mostly a guard, Grimm was a four-time Pro Bowler, was named to the NFL’s all-decade team of the 1980s and played in four Super Bowls (winning three). The line as a whole, which spawned the most famous offensive line nickname, has yet to get any representatives into the Hall of Fame.

“That group was the foundation for four Super Bowl teams,” former Redskins general manager Charley Casserly told the Washington Post. “It’s hard to believe you can’t get one guy into the Hall of Fame.”

The Hall of Fame voters meet tomorrow morning and the announcement of the 2010 class will be made at 3 p.m. Arizona time (and aired on the NFL Network). Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith are locks. The rest of the potential enshrinees are up in the air.

Like I said, I don’t think Grimm is sweating it, although I am sure he would like the honor. There seems to be growing sentiment that Grimm has a real shot this season after falling short at this stage the past couple of years.

Tags: ,

22 Responses to “Grimm waits to hear about Hall”

1. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

Entry into the Pro Football Hall of Fame is the biggest honor any player can receive in their career. But it’s laughable and a shame that none of the players or coaches who have competed against each other get any kind of vote in the process. The vote is cast (and controlled) completely by the media (Pro Football Writers of America) — no member of which has ever played a down of NFL football. Instead, biased, name-dropping writers such as Peter King (New England Patriots fanboy) control the vote and are given the opportunity to convince other voters to their way of thinking. Furthermore, “all (voter) appointments are of the open-end variety and can be terminated only by retirement or resignation, as long as the member continues to attend meetings regularly.”

Before you get ready to flame me Darren ;), I am not saying that sportswriters should not be involved in the process — I think they should. But I also think players and coaches should also have equal weight as the writers (i.e. split 50/50 among a media panel and a players/coaches panel). Also, I don’t think the fans should have any vote – that’s what the Popularity Contest (i.e. Pro Bowl) balloting is for.

2. By darrenurban on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

Ottis —

A fair evaluation. I agree there should be other parts to it. I just like adding people — the “truth” comes out the more voters you add.

But make no mistake, there are plenty of biases with coaches and players toward their peers. I’d argue there are fewer with writers (not that they are absent).

Whatever happens, it’s probably not going to change anytime soon.

3. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

Hopefully revelation of Grimm’s “Hot Dog” feat by Joe Bugel earlier this year will be enough to finally put Grimm over the top in 2010.

“It’s hard to understand,” former Redskins general manager Charley Casserly said. “That offensive line had a great run for a long time. The players changed but that group was the foundation for four Super Bowl teams. It’s hard to believe you can’t get one guy into the Hall of Fame.” ––

Well Charley, that’s what happens when the media have entire control over a vote that is secret and held behind closed doors.

4. By darrenurban on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

Ottis —

Here’s where I am going to disagree. The rules say max five guys can get in every year from the “recent” players. Who should have been left out in favor of Grimm or anyone? That’s the faulty argument for many who get upset when a guy doesn’t get in. They insist their player got screwed, but they never say instead of who. This doesn’t happen in a vacuum. Somebody good is going to be left out every year. And while I don’t understand why it’s such a secret, I also don’t understand how that would change much.

5. By Tony on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know, I think a lot of people are willing to say both who got screwed and who they should have gotten in in front of–for instance, I thought Randall McDaniel should have been a first year guy, ahead of Wehrli or Irvin in ’07 or Monk or Tippett in ’08.

But it is pretty subjective–I have no problems with any of the four I listed above being in the HOF. There are some others, though, that I disagree with (see Swann, Lynn). And I’m not wild about this year’s senior candidates…

We’ve got a lot of Hall of Fame discussion going on at our web site…can’t wait to find out what happens.

6. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

All good points. A perfect system is not, and that’s certainly no fault of any individual writer. Given 32 teams with the current 53 man roster (1,696 players to play every year), only allowing a maximum of 5 players per year into the HOF seems like an awfully low number.

What’s your opinion about automatic elections to the HOF based on pre-determined stats or achievements such as they do with women’s golf (LPGA)? That is, certain players are automatically elected based on astronomical stats (like Tom Brady will be), and then “x” number of players who weren’t automatically elected by their stats are voted upon by the PFWA (as they do now)?

As you mentioned above, a lot of great players are going to get bumped to “next” year because they had the misfortune of retiring the year that a Brady, Favre, or Manning did. And any year an automatic lock for election retires, a great, deserving player retired from the previous year gets bumped to next year again (and now with one less year to be eligible) And that OL have to compete against QBs/RBs for a limited 5 spots is also unexplainable.

If football is the ultimate team game, then the HOF wouldn’t have a installed a system in which absolutely great “non-skill position players” are pit against the skilled position players to become an HOFer and formally recognized as one of the greatest of all time to play their sport.

7. By darrenurban on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

Ottis —

Again, all good points. I don’t see the statistical thing happening; if it doesn’t happen in baseball — the ultimate stat sport — it won’t in football.

8. By TucsonTim on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

I’m just trying to figure out what it means to the Cards. If getting into the hall of fame means something from a coaching situation then all of the super bowl champions should have been coached by hall of fame players….not! I’m just trying to figure out why he can’t teach Brown to recognise stunts and blitzes.

9. By darrenurban on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

Tucson —

Wow. You are clearly in a grumpy mood tonight. Judging by your tone, you’d think the Cards were 4-12 this season.

10. By john on Feb 6, 2010 | Reply

If we had 5 Levi Browns on our line we would have been 4-12 maybe even worse!

11. By darrenurban on Feb 6, 2010 | Reply

John —

The Cards believe Levi was the Cards’ most consistent o-lineman this season.

12. By Joe2 on Feb 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    Youre not a doctor, but you have lots of patience.

13. By fitz 4 mt rushmore on Feb 6, 2010 | Reply

Congrats to Coach Grimm for getting elected!!! He was a great player & a big reason the Cards have enjoyed success the last 3 seasons.

14. By blake on Feb 6, 2010 | Reply

Congratulations Russ It’s a well deserved honor

15. By TucsonTim on Feb 6, 2010 | Reply

Yes I’m grumpy. I wanted to go to Miami. I know we were good enough. I’m sick and tired of hearing about how the Cards sucked forever; I wasn’t here for that, and I don’t care. It’s a new day. I live here now and I want my team to excell. Just being better than 500 isn’t going to build a fan base. We have an opportunity. I know, the Steelers didn’t even make the playoffs and we did something few other teams have done after losing a super bowl, but great things should be expected from those with great talent. The fans and the media need to hold their feet to the fire. I’m planning on a trip to Dallas next year!! It’s not too early to start planning.

Congrats to Grimm by the way.

16. By darrenurban on Feb 7, 2010 | Reply

Tucson —

Seriously, you act like the players, coaches and front office weren’t ticked off they lost. Again, as I wrote on the other thread, this idea that the fans want to win more than Whisenhunt and crew, and that they aren’t doing everything they think is necessary to win, is a joke. Frustration is OK. This isn’t about a poor past. You say you want your team to excel. Well guess what? They did excel. They were better this season than last. They lost to the Saints in the playoffs, and the Saints may end up Super Bowl champs. It happens.

17. By Cards Fan on Feb 6, 2010 | Reply

Congratulations!!!

18. By Cards Fan on Feb 6, 2010 | Reply

There are far too many haters

19. By Robert Baker on Feb 7, 2010 | Reply

Russ..
    Congratulations on your election to the Football Hall of Fame. This honor is well deserving and overdue. After 34 years, I’m still haunted by those BIG UPSET WINS you had against me in high school(lol). It would be great to hear from you. Again, Congratulations. Bob Baker,Connellsville.

20. By Shannon Robinson on Feb 7, 2010 | Reply

We are lucky to watch a Russ Grimm offensive line work. I watched him coach the line in training camp and they spent forever working on which lineman was responsible for blocking each defender under different blitzes. I didn’t understand the value of what he was coaching until I could see the O-line protecting Warner under all attacks. I keep saying we run block better than pass block. What Grimm has done for the Cards is get great O-line talent in late rounds – Johnson and Keith, and almost Canfield. Russ developed Sendlein into an excellent center from a back up rookie free agent. When Russ told The Planet ‘I can teach you how to play this game,’ he wasn’t kidding. But don’t be mistaken – Levi Brown was Grimm’s number one choice when the Whisenhunt era began and he’s building his offensive line around him. Levi Brown is going to be a great tackle.
    Congratulations on the HoF Russ Grimm, you old Hog you. A tip of the Cardinals’ wing to Coach Grimm.

21. By Andrew on Feb 7, 2010 | Reply

Matt Leinart era starts now… Let’s go Cardinals… See you all in Flagstaff!!!!!

22. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Feb 8, 2010 | Reply

Congrats Russ!!!

It was great to see you standing in Miami on Sunday along with the NFL’s all-time leading receiver (Jerry Rice) and rusher (Emmitt Smith). Rice and Smith wouldn’t have gotten where they did without some outstanding offensive lineman giving their QB time to throw and RBs holes to run through. It’s only fitting that the best RB and WR be inducted with one of the best (and four-time Super Bowl Champion) OL of all-time. Draft classes don’t get many more marquee names in them than yours did. Well deserved and well worth the wait!