In Canton, will we hear about the hot dog?

Posted by Darren Urban on February 8, 2010 – 10:53 am

First of all, a big congrats to Russ Grimm for making it into the Hall of Fame Saturday. But then Grimm said in his press conference that former offensive line coach Joe Bugel — yes, the same former Cards’ coach — will be his presenter in Canton Aug. 7 when Grimm is inducted.

Does that leave an opening for Bugel to discuss the now-infamous (thanks to the internet) story of Grimm and the hot dog? Not that Grimm is concerned, although I did ask him the question over the weekend.

“The hot dog story was a little elaborated but it has some truth to it, so I will just leave it at that,” Grimm said. “Offensive linemen are usually your characters or whatever you want to say, they put a little bit of spice into the football team and I was around a lot of characters.”

Grimm was one of those characters. Said former teammate Doc Walker, “(Russ) was the toughest guy on the block. He was mean. He had a nasty attitude, and he was a smart guy. He played the role of a Hell’s Angel, but the guy is really smart. He would break an opponent down on film. He had great technique. He was explosive. There was nothing he couldn’t do.”

Tags: , ,

17 Responses to “In Canton, will we hear about the hot dog?”

1. By Paul on Feb 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren, have the Cards ever played in the HOF game? I don’t remember if they did when they were in St. Louis. How does the league decide who plays and have they announced this years teams. I thought that the teams playing had someone that was to be inducted that played for that team but I’m not sure about that. Would be cool if next season started a week early.

2. By darrenurban on Feb 8, 2010 | Reply

Paul —

Speak for yourself about the season starting a week early; my wife already isn’t thrilled I’m gone for training camp as it is … 🙂

As for the game itself, it seems up in the air in terms of Hall ties. This past season it was Titans-Bills when Buffalo owner Ralph Wilson and Bills DE Bruce Smith was inducted. In 2008, the Redskins and Colts played when Washington stars Darrell Green and Art Monk went in. But in 2007, the Steelers and Saints played and neither franchise had anyone going in that season.

3. By Cards24fan on Feb 8, 2010 | Reply

Congrats coach Grimm!

4. By Ohio Cardinals Fan on Feb 8, 2010 | Reply

Here is a link that gives you all the info you need to know, and more, on the HOF Game.

Regarding who plays in the game, the HOF puts in their two cents, but ultimately, the NFL makes the decision on who plays. In general, yes, the NFL tries to have at least one team represented by an incoming HOF Class member, but on occasion, this is not the case. Regarding the aforementioned Steelers-Saints matchup, the Steelers were selected mainly because because it was the start of their 75th Anniversary season, and the HOF had a special Steelers 75th Anniversary exhibit on display only for that summer/fall (see this link for more info – http://www.profootballhof.com/story/2005/1/1/2393/) With the Saints, it is likely that the NFL wanted to showcase the team as they were helping New Orleans and all of Louisiana in the Katrina recovery process.

So the reasons that teams are put into the HOF game can differ from year to year, but in general, there is an attempt made to have at least one team represented by an incoming HOF Class member.

5. By Ohio Cardinals Fan on Feb 8, 2010 | Reply

Oops, here is the correct link for the Steelers 75th Anniversary Story from the last post:

6. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Feb 8, 2010 | Reply

Although I won’t be in Canton for Russ’ HOF induction (he and the rest of the Skins’ made Sundays for me and my Cards back in the 1980s very depressing), I will certainly be there for Kurt’s day when it comes.

I’m sure Coach Whiz wouldn’t mind an extra preseason week to evaluate talent. Actually, this would be a good year to play in the HOF game. The D is going to have some new, young faces and they’ll need all the live game experience they can get to get where they need to be come kickoff weekend.

7. By Paul on Feb 8, 2010 | Reply

Since coach Bugel will be presenting Russ Grimm, I wouldn’t be shocked to see the Skins in the HOF game. Thanks for the info Darren and Ohio Cardinals Fan.

8. By wampag on Feb 8, 2010 | Reply

CONGRATS RUSS and thanks for staying with us we need you

9. By Scott Hornberger on Feb 8, 2010 | Reply

So cool to see Russ Grimm get this honor. With all the departures we’ve had – and maybe some yet to come – it’s good to know he will be here. I think he means more to this team than many people realize. He’s so good at what he does, I think it allows Whisenhunt to pay more attention to other areas. I’d wish him well if he ever becomes a head caoch, but I’d rather see him in Arizona for the reat of his career!

10. By Pay Dockett! on Feb 8, 2010 | Reply

gee darren, you must working hard just to answer our questions! thanks a ton! there are a lot more questions than before huh?

11. By darrenurban on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

Pay Dockett —

Lots of questions means there is offseason interest. That’s OK with me. I’d rather have that than apathy. My job kind of depends on fans caring about the team.

12. By Tbru on Feb 8, 2010 | Reply

Congrats to Russ and Emmitt

13. By DHALL on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    With Julius Peppers upset in Carolina and if they don’t put the franchise tag on him could the cards pick him up for 2 or 3 years 20-30 million? Boldin, Warner and prob. Karlos gone that opens up about 30 million. Plus we can go after a good tackle and a solid corner early in the draft. If they put the tag on him then that I know is out of the question since it’s roughly 20 milllion…not worth it! But it would be nice to see if we could pick up some veterans like Peppers and Joey Porter who as already said he would like to come here and the recent addition of Baggs. I just think our pass rush and LB core is still a little too young, I know Dock, Gabe and Cambell are good but lets make it great? Put in the good word……

-DHALL

14. By darrenurban on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

DHALL —

I am writing a blog post about Peppers as we speak …

15. By cards fan on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

Not a big fan of paying guys a lot of money. It handcuffs a team. It doesn’t allow you to create any depth. Oh and what happens if that guy gets hurt and ends up on the IR, and you don’t have a good back up. I would rather have two good players at one position than a star player and a practice squad guy behind him.

16. By dioalice on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

Quicke answer to Paul’s question: in 1974, the Cardinals and BIlls played. In 1986, the Cards and Patriots played.

17. By Tbru on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

I vote for depth rather than blowing the wad on one guy.