Let the Q speculation begin (again)

Posted by Darren Urban on February 10, 2010 – 9:39 am

With it being the offseason, it was inevitable there would be speculation on whether or not Anquan Boldin would/will be traded. It’s probably inevitable that much of the speculation would emanate from Miami, where the Dolphins need a receiver and near where Boldin grew up in Pahokee, Fla. The Miami Herald had a reporter at the Cards-Saints playoff game specifically asking Boldin if he would ask for a trade this offseason and now comes this buried note that the Dolphins would likely be willing to offer a pick for Boldin. Of course, if you read the note, it is more about the Dolphins not wanting to chase Brandon Marshall rather than love for Boldin (at least right now).

But if the Dolphins, who are picking 12th, are only willing to give up a third-round pick (or even later), as has been rumored, that may be tough to get a deal done. I can’t believe there wouldn’t be another team willing to give up at least a second for Boldin.

I do think there is a good chance Anquan is moved, though. We all know the contractual reasons why it could happen. But there is also Steve Breaston. Breaston is a restricted free agent and while I think he’ll simply be tendered an offer rather than get a long-term deal right now (given the CBA unknowns), I do think the Cards will seriously think about allowing him to move up the food chain. That can’t happen with Boldin around.

Tags: , , ,

61 Responses to “Let the Q speculation begin (again)”

1. By VoiceofReason on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

I’ll start by saying that I love Q and appreciate what he has done for this organization for the better part of the last decade.

But this one is easy. The Cards and Eagles should talk an even-up swap — Boldin for McNabb. The Eagles’ offense becomes unstoppable with Boldin in the slot and Kolb running the show, and the Cards win the NFC West yet again with a smart, veteran quarterback.

I would NEVER trade Q for a third round pick. Third round picks end up being backup (or average starter at best) cornerbacks. I’d rather let Q walk for nothing.

But Q for McNabb is good for everybody.

2. By darrenurban on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

VoiceofReason —

If the Cards would want McNabb as opposed to an unproven Leinart (which isn’t going to happen), what makes you think the Eagles want an unproven Kolb instead of McNabb?

3. By wampag on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

D I just had a horrible thought and it seems rather plausible to me…scary plausible…the Giants OSI UMENYIORA is unhappy in ny and they desperately need a WR like Boldin…it makes a lot of sense on both sides…what do you think? GO CARDS

4. By darrenurban on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

First, I don’t think Osi can play OLB, which is what the Cards need. Second, no way the Giants give up a young pass rusher for an older wideout.

5. By Mario on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

Why not Joey Porter for Q straight up?

6. By darrenurban on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

Mario —

I posted this response this morning on another post asking the same question —

“Trading for Porter makes no sense to me because the Dolphins are likely to cut him anyway, and I don’t want to pay Porter what he is currently making to have him on my team. If he is available as a FA and willing to play for less than he is making now (maybe with incentives if he has a 12-sack season or something), then I go for it.”

7. By C on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

The Cards getting McNabb?? i dont see that happening at all the main reason Boldin would be leaving is a bigger paycheck and McNabb isnt exactly cheap. Also the Eagles have enough weapons with jackson, maclin, westbrook, and mccoy.
    But i do agree with you that Boldin is worth more then a 3rd round we should get at least a high 2nd round.

8. By darrenurban on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

C —

Even the most die-hard of Cards fans can’t say with a straight face that that’s a fair trade.

9. By Andrew on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

Maybe Q and our entire draft for Revis?? ha, I’m willing to bet the jets still wouldn’t think about it..

However, I agree that a third round pick is just not enough for Q but a second rounder would be perfect. Look at the number of great rookie LB’s that have come out over the last few years, many quality LB’s fall into the later first and early second rounds. If we can get an extra 2nd round pick it will allow us more freedom with the picks we already have. I think we have to pick a LB with at least one of our first two picks. Barring a surprise stud player falling down to us (see Beanie Wells). Though unlikely for us, could also give us the chance to trade and move up a few spots should we really like someone.

Darren, do you think a second rounder is going to be realistic? If not, do you think they will let him go for a third or is there a player for player deal you think could happen?

10. By Andrew on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

Darren, read your comment wrong, realized you said that someone would/should be willing to give up at least a second…

11. By Steve on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

don’t trade him to an NFC team!

I don’t even think the Eagles would give up what we want for him since they have 2 good receivers now.

12. By Dave on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

Every team in the league is aware that if they get Boldin they get a great possession receiver that will likely be a relatively expensive proposition since he will likely play 10-12 games a year. Also, Boldin’s playing style makes his career shorter, similar to a RB, but not quite that extreme.
    I wonder if a trade to Green Bay for AJ Hawk could be arranged? That would kill 2 birds w/ one stone in the event Dansby leaves. It might even be worthwhile if we had to sweeten the pot a little.

13. By k. on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

wow, really, these are “plausible” trade options? as far as i’m concerned philly can keep mcnabb because i think lienart will do just fine. why trade for porter when he’ll most likely get cut and wants to come to az? if by chance porter isn’t cut and the dolphins trade him elsewhere so be it. i personally don’t think he’s much of a team player and wouldn’t want him on the cards. revis – that’s never going to happen lol. i think a mid to low 2nd round pick is fair market value even though i’m not convinced q should be traded. i’m not trying to bash anyone for their thoughts it just that most of these trade scenarios don’t seem plausible or imo worth it.

14. By cards62 on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

Q has been great for us, and that is why the business part of sports is so hard on fans. Based upon the money that Q wants and only for this reason and its impact on team chemistry I think it is time for Q to leave. Hopefully he knows we appreciate him and wish him well. Trade wise I would even take a third just so that Q can go and be happy as I think their will be a few receivers we could pick up in free agency, and if we could get a third and Joey Porter or pick him up in free agency its the same thing. I would like to see us pick up Joey Porter and see his impact with our other guys.
    Once again I say no McNabb this year as lets pick up a vertern backup, but lets see how Matt L. leads our team as no one will know the offense as well and we need to see what we have with Matt L. once and for all. Like a lot of you I have serious concerns about Matt L., and nothing would please me more than to have Matt L. prove my concerns unfounded, but before I let Matt walk I would want to see him have one more chance at running the show. McNabb will also be a free agent after the 2010 season and I do not see the Eagles extending him so we will have our chance at Mcnabb next year if needed, and hopefully he will not be needed by us. Go Cards

15. By errol44 on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

Bill Simmons (ESPN Sports Guy) was saying on his podcast on 2/8 how much he would love it if the Patriots would trade for Boldin. he didn’t mention any trade scenarios though. He also said he would love Kurt Warner to be the Pats new offensive coordinator.

16. By Paul on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

To steal off PFT, but I think Q straight up for Greg Olsen could work. Martz doesn’t use the TE as a receiver very much but he loves receivers like Q that run after the catch. Don’t know the current contracts details enough to know if this is feasable.

17. By darrenurban on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

Paul —

You are right — Martz doesn’t use the TEs much. But Olsen has big upside. I don’t see the Bears giving him up, at his age, for Boldin.

18. By AZ Realist on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

Stop dreaming, folks.

Q is an aging, injury-prone, fading star. He’s not as dangerous as he once was in the open field, and he’s never had much speed. He’s got a lot more miles on him than most receivers because of his rugged style. And face it, the Cardinals aren’t that much better with him than without him, especially now that #13 is gone and the balance will shift more toward a run-first attack.

I love the guy and I’m not saying he’s not valuable – but his value has been dropping like a rock for two years.

The Cardinals will probably be lucky to get a third round pick for him at this point, which is why he should have been dealt long ago.

19. By AIR ATTACK on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

LET Q GO FOR A 3RD ROUNDER SAVE SOME MONEY SIGN JULIUS PEPPERS DAUCET IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME SINCE WILL BE RUNNING A LOT MORE ANYWAYS N I CAN SEE THE CARDINALS IN THE PLAYOFFS ONCE AGAIN BECAUSE OF COACH WIZ!! DARNEL WANTS J.PEPPERS!!!!

20. By Big Red on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

Q to stay a CARDINAL is what we need. What makes you think some of our receivers won’t get hurt, then what. Why mess with something thats not broken. Let’s just hope, and wait and see how Lienart plays. Who ever taught WARNER was going to play like he did, when we got him. The bottom line is don’t judge MATT till we see him in action. Will be in the same boat, if DANSBY leaves and we get Porter. And about macnabb his the same as MATT …….. NO SUPER BOWLS, so why ask for macnabb. Give the kid a chance to prove himself, right DARREN. We need FITZ AND BOLDIN together for MATT LIENART. I bet thats what WARNER would have wanted.

21. By Dan on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

I’m a HUGE Boldin fan and even I want him outta here. I’m tired of his puss attitude. Hey, we didn’t sign the contract, he did. Time to trade him for a draft pick and a defensive player, now is the time. We don’t need tons of receivers, we are looking more towards the running game and Beanie Wells.

22. By William on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

Positional draft plan:

Round Position
    1 LB/DE
    2 DB/CB
    3 O-Line
    4 WR (To replace Urban?)
    5 O-Line
    6 QB
    7 LB/DE

Darren – What do you think?

23. By darrenurban on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

William —

Maybe. The way the players go changes quite a bit as we move deeper in the draft. I think they take a QB much earlier. 3rd round maybe?

24. By VoiceofReason on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

You are right about market value for Q — probably a third round pick. But I don’t do that deal. Again, Boldin for one more year on the cheap is better than a backup safety that might contribute next year on special teams.

Darren – to your question — the reason why McNabb makes sense is this: there has been talk the last couple of years that Kolb is ready to play. And the Eagles are at a place now where they need to do something to get over the top. Last time they got a top flight receiver they went to the Super Bowl. And with all of the weapons around him, Kolb would be fine managing the game.

Leinart has shown flashes — and probably sits right now as the best quarterback in the division (as crazy as that sounds, it is true when you think about it). McNabb would come in, sell a ton of jerseys, and all but guarantee another division crown (something that can’t be said for Leinart, unfortunately).

On Joey Porter — he’d be a spectacular fit here. H’d bring a nasty streak and swagger to a defense that could use a little more of both. But I’m not trading for him because he’s getting cut.

Darren — how is Cody Brown looking? Since the day he hurt his wrist, we’ve heard nothing about the guy. Seems to me he could have used last season to get a stronger base and work on pass rushing. Realistically, does he look like someone that might contribute next year?

25. By darrenurban on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

Voice —

I don’t see — unless you are a big proponent of the Cards getting McNabb — you can say on one hand Kolb, with less experience than Leinart, is going to be fine and Leinart can’t perform well enough in Arizona (in a weaker division).

As for Cody, obviously you’re not reading the blog enough. How dare you say we’ve heard nothing from him since he got hurt? 🙂 As for contributing, he’d better. He and the Cards don’t have a choice.

26. By VoiceofReason on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

Two different issues, and the inconsistency is irrelevant.

With Kolb, I have no personal knowledge as to whether he is ready or not — various outlets just keep saying that Philly may let McNabb go because the Eagles believe Kolb is ready.

With Leinart, I think he’ll be an adequate game manager (as we saw in the Titans game). But that will get us to 8 wins and second place to (gulp) the Niners. With McNabb I feel better about the Cards chances of winning the division again.

So I guess the question is to you — a guy who was at practice every day and has sources in Philadelphia. What is the feeling over there on Kolb? Would they entertain such a proposal (given that it involves no picks)? And how — realistically — do the Cards’ coaches feel about Leinart at the helm every week? The shackles on his wrists in the Titans game didn’t inspire much confidence. We’ve seen him play well (MNF against Chicago back in ’06), but not lately.

I agree that the likelihoood is that such a deal doesn’t happen, and if so, so be it. I let Q walk next year before I take a third round pick (which are grossly overvalued this time of year) any day of the week. Especially if Leinart is the starter — you will need good possession receivers, and he’s one of the best.

27. By darrenurban on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

Voice —

Here is what I know: I think the McNabb thing may be more about the feeling that McNabb will never get them over the hump so instead of running in place (albeit with consistent playoff appearances) they make a change. They spent a second-rounder on Kolb, and like Leinart, the Eagles need to know if he will ever amount to anything before he leaves as a free agent (which may be next season I believe). I don’t think they can be any more sold on Kolb than the Cards on Leinart, which to me makes them parallel situations.

Not that it matters, because, a) the Cards aren’t trading picks for McNabb and b) the Eagles, with DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin, have no real use for Boldin anymore and certainly aren’t going to give up a Pro Bowl quarterback to get him, no matter what they think of Kolb. The Eagles will want picks.

28. By VoiceofReason on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

And as for outside LB, I think if they sign Porter and draft Brandon Graham, they’ll be set.

Also, any word on bringing Jeremy Bridges back? That’s the easiest call they’l make…

29. By darrenurban on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

Voice —

As for Bridges, I think they’d want him back for the right price.

30. By Brian R. on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

Keep Boldin. Leinart will need him. Yes the Cardinals have Breaston and Doucet. But we need a strength WR.

31. By Scott Hornberger on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

First, this off-season is just too much on my Cardinal-red heart! First, we lose Berry to retirement, then Warner, and now all this talk about what we can get in a trade for Q??? That’s an awful lot of heart and character lost right there…but I guess it is inevitable. No denying that Boldin has been injury prone and that Breaston has turned into a heck of a WR. With Doucet now starting to emerge? The situation pretty clearly dictates that they try to fill a significant need through a trade. Honestly, though, i would love to see Boldin here for the one year he has left on his contract. Contract years have a way of pushing guys to play their absolute best and it’s a win-win. The Cards get one more year of Boldin while he’s still in his prime and he sets himself up for a big deal elsewhere. BUT if he is dealt in a trade, please don’t let it be for McNabb!!! Honestly – what do people think they’re getting with this guy??? Cardinal fans got a real good look at what you get with McNabb just one year ago in the NFC title game. He starts slow in way too many games, he sulks on the sidelines when things aren’t going well, he does not perform in big games, and to say that he is erratic with his passes is an understatement! Eagle fans will be happy to remeind you that he is 1-4 in NFC title games and the Eagles were favored to win most of them. Because I live right outside of Philly, I can also tell you that most fans here would LOVE to see McNabb in Arizona or anywhere else next year. What does that tell you??? Trust me, he is NOT what the Cardinals need at QB.

32. By MIADolfan85 on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

You Cardinals fans are smart.I’ve seen on other sites and such,where Cards fans were so suggestive of trading for Joey and,a pick.

I’m happy to see that you know he’s likely going to get cut if nothing proceeds,but keep this in mind,Cards fans.Early reports around the local papers were that Porter would be released sooner than later…..yet we are entering day 3,and no release……just saying….

33. By Shannon Robinson on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

Thank you Scott – unless you are an Eagles fan you can’t fathom the disappointment McNabb carries with him – the on and off, hot and then cold in the big games. Trades are back in the works with the uncapped year and the Cards ability to sign only one free agent. The O-Line doesn’t add personnel next year, help will come from Johnson and Keith. So our draft is more like OLB, ILB, CB, DT, QB, WR/returns, and then Grimm’s choice at OG/OT.

34. By Dan on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

Kolb would be a great deal for us, he’s a stud.

35. By george morrone on Feb 11, 2010 | Reply

ok 1st off let me say ive been a cards fan all my life for years an years unlike past front office i kind of trust this one we have now heck they got us to the super bowl last year im still upset we had the win we should of an could of an would of won! ok now look we need a qb i say we draft tim t from fla. an the coach ken the wizard can groom him to be a winner like he did with little ben in pitts. now theres are future now for are now we need to trade for a good qb so make up a package with mattie partyman l an are 1st round pick to some one how bout clev an we get you know who there qb or how bout the dog catcher mike vic dont 4get kids this upcomming year is are year the next year thers gona be a lock out an work stop so its on to the scrub bowl!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙁

36. By David Raff on Feb 11, 2010 | Reply

As much as I like Q, I believe to make the cardinals remain in contention without having to completely rebuild down the line, we need to exploit our biggest strenght which (even with Q gone) has to be our wideouts Fitz, Breasten and Doucet. Leinert doesn’t have the accuracy or arm strenght in my opionion to keep this machine going. I’d like to trade Q for Tyler Thigpen and a second if possible or maybe a third if dolphins won’t go for a second. Tyler Thigpen has a strong arm, is very mobile and can develop into a very good starting quarterback. I think he can lead cardinals into playoffs this year but by 2011 he will be scary leading this offense. They should address their defense through the draft and through coaching as they have some talent but the way they performed in the playoffs is horrible.

37. By JC on Feb 11, 2010 | Reply

How about Q to the Bears for Charles TIllman and 3rd rounder…Tillman is a great tackler, ball stripping machine for the Bears and the Bears have no EXPERIENCED receivers, albeit some good young prospects…Q might like the situation as he would become Cutler’s favorite target almost right away with the Martz system being implemented… JMHO

38. By VoiceofReason on Feb 11, 2010 | Reply

I agree with you on that, Darren — I do not trade picks for McNabb, and if that is what they want, no deal.

I likewise would not accept anything less than a second round pick (middle second at that) for Boldin, and I’m not sure anybody will offer that. So that leaves two scenarios: 1) keep Boldin and let him walk next year or 2) trade him for a player.

On #2 — I am now hearing that Miami is interested in Boldin. What is the status of Chad Pennington? Is he a free agent or under contract? Perhaps a Boldin for Pennington swap?

I just think trading Boldin for a third round pick would be foolish.

39. By darrenurban on Feb 11, 2010 | Reply

Voice —

Pennington is scheduled to become a free agent.

40. By Cardsforlife on Feb 11, 2010 | Reply

Has everyone forgot that Leinart was our starter before? Why does everyone keep saying let’s see him in action? Did you all just start watching the cards? We need a QB with a threatening long ball to keep our offense successful. If ML is our starter we NEED Q! Quan = yards after catch. ML needs Q out there as well. Remember the Bears game was a mistiming and Q should have played. How does anyone posting about Q’s attitude know? Are you in the lockerroom? On the field? Every game I go to or watch on tv he is our vocal leader! When he sat against GB he was rooting on the receiving core the entire time. Where is this so called ” bad attitude?”

41. By Scott Hornberger on Feb 11, 2010 | Reply

I say amen to everyone who is wondering why there is so much discussion of what other QB’s the Cardinals should go out and get. It’s ridiculous. Enough already! Matt Leinart is the QB next year, period. And that’s the way it should be. Yeah, they have to bring in another QB as the back-up and they probably will try to find someone who offers hope in case Leinart goes down injured. But you are not going to see anyone under center on opening day next year but Matt Leinart. Forget McNabb, Vick, Kolb, Pennington ( are you serious??? ) and anyone else who is going to expect to be a started next year. Arizona is just not the place for those guys. I kinda’ liked the Tyler Thigpen suggestion, though…he looks like he can play and he would make sense as a back-up here. Another name to consider for the same reason might be Sage Rosenfels. He played well with the Texans in the past when Schaub was hurt. Shaun Hill is another.

42. By Big Red on Feb 11, 2010 | Reply

We know Lienart is going to be good. So, why all the fuzz. About seeing him in action,( this second time around). He did good the first time most of the time. He’ll need BOLDIN, lets keep him. Forget the crap about Mcnabb even Scott said they want him out of Philly and scott lives there so he know. You got to remember Lienart came in trying to do everything, not like Sanchez just handing the ball and picking his passes. What happen to him when he also tried to run the show, he messed up.Theyhad to change his style.

43. By Cardsforlife on Feb 11, 2010 | Reply

Leinart as starter = 4-12 2010 record. You can quote me on that! At least we will lose the bandwagon fans!

44. By darrenurban on Feb 11, 2010 | Reply

Cardsforlife —

Wait a minute. Leinart was the starter for the majority of 2006, with a weaker roster and a weaker coaching staff, and the Cards won five games. What makes you so sure they will be worse?

45. By Cardsforlife on Feb 11, 2010 | Reply

Well tougher schedule. Those pesky 49rs lost both to us then but have found a way to beat us as of late. We have a very similar opponent scheme as in 06 and I believe with the 49rs playing the way they have we will actually go down 1 game from then with ML as starting QB. I wear Cardinals with pride win or lose always have. I’m not trying to be negative just the way I see it if we can’t get more stability at the QB position.

46. By cardinalconvert on Feb 11, 2010 | Reply

I can’t believe Cards fans are not confident about Leinart. Yes, he is not Kurt. But, we really do not want a Warner offense without Warner. We need a good balanced offense with Leinart and a tougher defense to win the SB. Leinart will fit in if Beanie will run. Despite Warner’s successes, we are naive if we do not think that our problem is defense and an unbalanced attack.

47. By Cardsforlife on Feb 11, 2010 | Reply

Maybe your right. Maybe so are Oakland fans, St Louis fans, Washington fans, Buffalo fans… I can continue but I think you get the point. Confidence is backed by knowledge and the facts are Leinart is Leinart. That will be good enough for 4 – 12

48. By VoiceofReason on Feb 11, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the Pennington info — if I’m the Cards, that’s the guy I’m bringing in here to back up Leinart (assuming no McNabb deal, and I’ll concede that that is “pie in the sky”).

Another free agent that the Cards should carefully consdier is Antonio Pierce.

49. By Dan on Feb 12, 2010 | Reply

I don’t want Pennington, the guy is damaged goods and he won’t last long with our O-line. I’d rather have a Derek Anderson than a Pennington. I’m looking forward to see Leinart play this season, he’s going to play well, hopefully we can make the Playoffs again but we have a tough schedule.

50. By Jerry on Feb 12, 2010 | Reply

I don’t believe in this Matt Leinart “going to play well.” Sorry, but it’s almost an identical schedule as in 2006 and we all know how that turned out. If he is so promising how come no one is pounding at the door wanting him. It’s been known around the league that he is a back-up, when a QB is a back-up people look for them in trade to be their franchises “star starter.” Refer to Jeff Garcia. Matt Leinart is NOT going to lead us to the playoffs. Our defense may if we can settle down and stay healthy. The progression of some young players this year was pretty decent. We need some more work out of McFadden, seems like sometimes he just “gives up,” but that could also be related to his first year working into our defense. But Matt Leinart has had the chances, bottom line, Warner will not be there this year to come BACK in and make it happen. I don’t want Q to leave, he is a great leader out there. Every home game I sit in the Red Zone and I hear how he gets our offense going. You see it when you watch the television, this guy is great for our team. But if he has to go I would try putting him and Matt Leinart on the trading block for an above average QB. Just my two cents.

51. By Tbru on Feb 12, 2010 | Reply

Entertain offers for Q, if they get an offer they can’t refuse pull the trigger. If not keep him at his current salary and if their is a lockout in 2011 he will pretty much be washed up by the time play resumes anyway so losing him and getting nothing in return wouldn’t matter much anyway.

52. By Eazy E on Feb 12, 2010 | Reply

First of all, we don’t need to trade Q. He’s my favorite player in the entire league, but if we decide to, definitely not for a 3rd rounder. At least add a decent to good player on top of just a 3rd. Some of these bandwagon jumping cardinals fans are saying Q’s too old(he’s only 29), He’s injury prone(Not really, his style is his style, and he still puts up All-Pro numbers), He is our emotional leader. Just Pay The Man as Deion would say! Now, Matt Leinart!! What has he shown to REAL cardinals fans that he’s ready? I liked matt coming out of college, was happy when we drafted him and he had a good rookie season, but let’s keep it real, since then its been downhill. We have to bring in a veteran qb that can play like Derek Anderson as Dan said or Troy Smith just to name a few. We can’t put all our eggs in Matt Leinart’s basket, because honestly i would like Derek and his big arm or Troy and his big arm over matt who doesn’t have a big arm, not saying you have to have a big arm to succeed but leinart’s is questionable at best. Derek went to the pro bowl just 2 seasons ago throwing for 29 tds and 3,787 yards passing. Troy lost the baltimore ravens starting job pretty much because he was scheduled to start over joe flacco but came down with a rare case of tonsillitis, so I like him also. The jury is still out on leinart that’s why we need a guy like DA or Troy, so if leinart trippin, take a seat on the pine, DA or Troy next up!!!

53. By Scott Hornberger on Feb 12, 2010 | Reply

Cardsforlife – Way to be positive, dude! Gimme a break. The Cardinals are too good as a team to fall all the way to 4-12 because of Leinart. Don’t be surprised when Leinart is better than you think he’s gonna be. Don’t give up your seat on the bandwagon!

VoiceofReason – Can you please tell me what you see in Chad Pennington??? The guy has a wet rag for an arm and that doesn’t suit this offense at all. Also, who have the Dolphins had at QB recently? Exactly, absolutely NOBODY! And Pennington can’t even hold the starting job there. Why do we want this guy in Arizona??? Are you the person who suggested trading Boldin to get Pennington? That’e just crazy…

54. By John on Feb 13, 2010 | Reply

First, stop the McNabb talk. McNabb is not the answer or the Eagles wouldn’t let him go. You don’t see the Colts shopping Manning or Chargers shopping Rivers ?

Second, easy on the crazy trades. The Jets wouldn’t give up Revis for 2 first rounders and Boldin. If we want to go there, lets trade Mcfadden for Peyton. Makes the same kind of sense.

As for Boldin, I’d keep him before giving him up for a third rounder. With a very limited pool of unrestricted free agents, teams will make trades. I don’t put it past Ryan and the jets to go get a WR, but that may be Brandon Marshall. The Ravens are another team that will need to grab a wr in trades. Boldin’s stock will rise and we may get a 2 and 4 from one of those teams (remember Aeneas Williams-my favorite Card- went for a 2 and 4 at the same stage of career). Once Marshall is off the market, Boldin could command a late 1 from a team with everything but a go to wr, like the Jets. Jets are solid everywhere with a young QB who needs a #1 WR. The Ravens might lose their #1 wr to retirement and are very close to getting deep in playoffs,not getting a wr would be a step back. This will go down to draft day and some team may reach a little to get a great wideout (even though he is 30 and injury-prone)

After all Darren, wouldn’t you give up a late #1 if you were the Jets.

As for Joey Porter, he will be released again. no need to trade.

55. By darrenurban on Feb 13, 2010 | Reply

John —

I’m not giving up a No. 1 if I wasn’t sure Anquan could help me long-term.

56. By John on Feb 13, 2010 | Reply

As for Leinart not being the guy to lead us to the playoffs;
    Whiz saw this day coming. He drafted a big back and found offensive lineman who are huge drive blockers (Keith and Johnson). He knew we had to get better on defense and I could see all our draft picks being spent on defense (maybe a TE too)
    So, Matt doesnt have to be Warner and he shouldnt throw 35 times. Think Cowboys of the 90’s. They pounded Emmitt, Threw short passes to Novachek and had their playmaker catch 70 balls. Every now and then, they would play action and go up top to Harper. They were in the top 5 of defense and were well balenced. This is the formulary Whiz will adapt. Run Beanie, hit Patrick(or drafted TE) with short passes, design plays to get the ball to Fitz and playaction and go big to Breaston. Then draft defense and sign Porter when he is cut and I still think Casey Hampton may become a free agent.( Darren I know you dont think he will) .

This is why Matt will be OK and we should not look elsewhere for a QB.

57. By Scott Hornberger on Feb 14, 2010 | Reply

Eazy E – interesting post but I don’t get your claim that it’s been all downhill for Leinart since his rookie season. His season in 2007 ended after five games due to injury, and it’s been all Warner ever since. And there’s no shame in that for Leinart because Warner was playing at such a high level during that time. Honestly, he was a probably one of the top three QB’s in the league during that stretch. AND because of Warner staying as healthy as he did, Leinart hardly ever saw the field. So…when did we actually see Leinart go downhill??? Did I miss a season or something??? Keep in mind that because he’s been the back-up for the past few seasons, he wasn’t getting the preparation that Warner was getting. Leinart wasn’t getting practice reps with the first team offense and he wasn’t getting the preparation during the weeks between games that the starter would normally get. When you’re not involved in the game preparation as the starting QB, it’s pretty hard to go in and play like one. I know it seems like Leinart has been around for a long time at this point, but in terms of actual playing time, he really hasn’t been here long at all. It’s really unfair to him to write him off as a bust before he’s truly had a chance to be the starter here for a full season. He deserves a full season as the starter ( training camp, pre-season, and all 16 games ) before anyone can truly pass judgement. Beyond that…if hasn’t shown that he is definitely the guy to lead this team, THEN it’s time to move on! At that point, I wouldn’t have much I could say in his defense.

58. By Nate on Feb 14, 2010 | Reply

Boldin’s worth a 1st round pick! he was offensive rookie of the year and a 3-time pro-bowler! I hope the cards dont trade him, if they do they gotta get at LEAST a 1st round

59. By Jim on Feb 15, 2010 | Reply

By C on Feb 10, 2010

“I know this has almost no chance of happening but we should trade boldin and 2nd round pick for revis:) i think its a fair trade and with revis and drc we would finally have a great secondary”

If they can find a way to swing that trade, then the first thing they should do is call Indy and find a way to trade Hightower for Peyton Manning. After all, the colts could use a RB. If only that would happen.

I also like Pennington as a backup if he becomes a FA, then draft Tony Pike in the 3rd round just in case

60. By RBS on Feb 15, 2010 | Reply

Jim –

Hysterical man!! lol!! Hey! Maybe we can get SF to part with Willis for for Cody Brown too!

61. By Jim on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

RBS-

If you can make that happen, I’ll personally call the Bidwills everyday and hound them until they give you Graves job! 🙂