As free agency moves on

Posted by Darren Urban on March 8, 2010 – 12:01 pm

Some quick bits here as the first full week of free agency gets started:

— Safety Kerry Rhodes is in town and is scheduled to meet with the media at 2:30 p.m. Arizona time (which is MST to the rest of the world right now). His press conference will be streamed live on azcardinals.com.

— Touched base with general manager Rod Graves about RFA LB Kirk Morrison, since so many out there seem to think the Cards will pursue him. Graves will never say never, but as of right now, there are no plans to go after Morrison. Personally, that doesn’t surprise me, given it will take a draft pick, as well as a fat new contract, to get the guy — and there is always the chance you’ll do all the legwork and then the Raiders would just match it anyway.

— Kent Somers is reporting S Matt Ware is visiting the Seahawks. I still think, at the end of the day, Ware ends up back in Arizona.

— As we move into March, more and more guys are trickling in to start offseason workouts. Always a good sign.

Tags: , ,

28 Responses to “As free agency moves on”

1. By John on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

I would rather go with Foote and Hayes as our ILBs. Then draft a guy to pair with Reggie Walker as backups this year and eventually to take over. No need for Morrison.

Ware is needed back in that nickel package. Glad to hear he might be back. Although this is a good draft for DBs.

Did you ask graves about Jamal Williams ? This is our #1 need, with Porter #2, and ILB a third in FA.
    Give me some news about big Jamal.

2. By darrenurban on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

John —

Did not have the chance to ask about Williams.

3. By cards fan on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

It’s amazing how valuable Matt Ware has become. From a guy who was like the 5th corner and almost getting cut a couple years ago to now an important safety and part of the defense.

4. By Cardianl RED on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

hey Darren

How about Tim howard than form the raiders as well. even though that takes a second rounder. I think hes a great player and would be a great fit. What do you think. Cause seriously if we ended up with one of the raiders linbackers, joey porter ends up signing, drafting brandon spikes or another great linbackbacker to go along with Cody brown (who i think is gunna be a great linbacker, really) and will davis. We could really have a good and young linbacking core. I think thats the way we gotta go but im not a GM, wish i was though. Whatcha think Darren? do yo ulike Tim HOWARD or am i over rating him?

5. By darrenurban on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

Cardinal Red —

I think the Cards aren’t going to chase RFAs at this time.

6. By Dick Buroker on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

Nothing but good to say about Q, Rolle, and Dansby. I wish them all nothing but the best and Thanx for helping the Cardinals be something special!

7. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

Keep the draft pick and pickup Foote to defend against the run which is his strength, and draft a couple of LBs (or DEs to convert to LBs) who can rush the passer.

8. By Cardianl RED on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

ooops i mean Thomas Howard from the Radiers. was think of hightower

9. By Brett on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

I watched Rolle since the beginning when Denny Green drafted him, I thought he liked AZ and is it true the Cards matched the Giants offer and if so why do you think he chose NY? Also, do you think, personally, that Rhodes was an upgrade? One more thing, how do you feel about Porter and Foote meeting with us? Do you think there is a good chance we could land both??? Thanks!!!

10. By darrenurban on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

Brett —

I think there is a chance the Cards can get both LBs. I don’t know why Rolle would want to leave for sure. He is closer to home in Miami. And truthfully, he was always going to be second banana to Adrian in Arizona. That might have played a role.

11. By chris on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

I wouldn’t mind signing Gather from the Ravens to solidify the line, and give up a first for him. Tough to get a solid tackle at 26, clearly not a proven one.

12. By Ditship on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

I hadn’t thought of the being in Wilson’s shadow thing.. Might be true. I know I was shocked to hear that they offered the same thing. Maybe the Giants promised to use him a lot more on offense as well?

13. By kyle c on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

Did the time for Rhodes presser change?

14. By darrenurban on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

Kyle —

No. It only lasted about 10 minutes, if that.

15. By zach on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren can’t seem to find the Rhode’s press conference anywhere on here…could you possibly help me out?

16. By darrenurban on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

Zach —

We are still moving the tape to a file. It will be up in a bit.

17. By carlo7000 on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

darren
    if we get larry foote probabaly we will have two good middle linabacker especially against the run…but no one of our linabackers didnt excels in covarage…so i think we must address this position with the draft with players like witherspoon or washington..

18. By alex u on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

When are we meeting with Larry Foote? ive been hearing different days.

19. By darrenurban on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

Alex —

I believe he comes in Wednesday.

20. By Derek on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Word is Marc Bulger will be released. Which QB would you rather have, Bulger or Delhomme?

21. By darrenurban on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

Derek —

Good question. I suppose if I had to make a decision, I’d say Delhomme, but I don’t know if there is a big difference.

22. By cards62 on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Where do you think we go for our backup QB now?
    I was hoping for Bulger, Pennington, Carr in that order. Pennington and Carr are now off the table and Bulger I don’t think has been released yet so I am getting worried as I see backup QB as our number 1 need this offseason.
    Thanks and enjoy your off season ha ha ha

23. By james on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

darren,

when will the press conference be on the website?

24. By darrenurban on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

James —

Soon.

25. By alex u on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

Porter and Foote both meeting on the same day? Can’t wait till Thursday! Hopefully he doesn’t sign with Washington before then.

26. By Secret on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

Ware is a VERY important part of this defense, he MUST come back. If not, find another S like him to do the same job

27. By Scott H on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Brett,
    I didn’t know the Cards matched NY’s offer and Rolle chose to leave anyway. But if the Cardinals really wanted Rolle here, they needed to do what they needed to do BEFORE he hit the open market. End of story. Once he hit the open market, he was gone. I know some were optimistic that he would remain with the Cardinals, but…c’mom, when does that ever happen? Can’t say I know this for a fact, but it seems to make sense that players take a little bit of offense to being allowed to hit the market. It seems to send the message that we want to see what someone else thinks you’re worth before we decide what you’re worth, ya know? Really, how often do you see players test the market and then return to the same team??? It almost never happens except with older guys at the end of their careers who find that no one else wants them. I guess we know now it ain’t likely to happen with a Pro Bowl safety known for making big plays who is just entering his prime. I say the Cardinals just plain blew it with this one. Of all the departures that have taken place so far, Rolle’s is the one they truly could have – AND SHOULD HAVE – prevented.

28. By darrenurban on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

Again, here’s where I say, hold on. The only reason Rolle made the Pro Bowl this season was because it was so watered down and so many guys dropped out, including Darren Sharper. Should Rolle still be a Cardinal? Probably. But judging by your comments, you probably think he was paid appropriately. I do not.