Whitehurst a QB possibility UPDATED

Posted by Darren Urban on March 9, 2010 – 9:52 am

Another ESPN report has the Cardinals bringing in Chargers’ quarterback Charlie Whitehurst for a free agent visit. Interestingly, Whitehurst is a restricted free agent, so signing him could cost the Cardinals a third-round draft pick. But the reality is this: If the Cards deem the quarterbacks available in the draft weak as a class and yet they want to draft someone young, why not spend a third-round pick (the Cards have two after the Anquan Boldin trade) on a QB they think has potential? He’s been around a while, coming into the league in 2006, even though he’s never thrown a regular-season pass.

UPDATE: It also looks like Derek Anderson will soon be part of the available quarterback mix since the Browns are apparently going to release him.

Tags: , ,

97 Responses to “Whitehurst a QB possibility UPDATED”

1. By Roy on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I agree with your logic on using a pick for a proven player. There is just one problem, who the hell is Charlie Whitehurst? If I have no clue about him most of our fans won’t. I watch a ton of football and stay tuned to satellite radio all day. Unless they know something secret about this kid I would take my 2 third round picks and draft defensive depth or better yet package them together for someones 2nd round pick and grab a starter. We have to have more options than losing our 3rd rounder for a no name. I prefer we wait for veteran cuts (Bulger, Anderson, etc.)

2. By Matt on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Darren I just think this makes no sense, at all. To give up ANY pick for this guy when we could get Charlie Batch or someone like that for no picks makes NO SENSE.

3. By C on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

i like whitehurst ever since he came out of clemson but i thought the cardinals were looking to get a veteran. would they still look into getting a veteran qb even if they sign him?

4. By Jcaswellsr on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Would like the Cardinals take a long look at Tony Pike and Colt McCoy.

5. By Bryan on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Wow….would be okay,but if the cards have to give up a 3rd for for him then NO WAY.Sorry I’d be alittle upset if this happened.

6. By Tbru on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

We have two #3’s? Didn’t the Jets get one in the Rhodes deal?

7. By darrenurban on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Tbru —

The Cards gave up a fourth-round pick in that trade.

8. By kauaicardsfan on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Do you have any idea how they came to look at Whitehurst? Any ties with any of the coaches to have them look at him? Just wondering?
    As always thanks for the inside scoops!

9. By darrenurban on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Kauai (and everyone) —

Not sure why Whitehurst is a target, to be honest. I am a little surprised, but again, if the Cards and Chargers come to a deal, Whitehurst could in theory be had for something less than a third-rounder.

10. By christian on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think we should we shhould jus sign jeff garcia or just a free agent I think we need are draft picks. Or jus draft a QB late in the round

11. By Erik on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

That would essentially mean we traded Anquan Boldin for Charlie Whitehurst. That doesn’t seem like a good deal to me at all. I know we got Kerry Rhodes for the 4th, but we gave up our fifth in the Q deal as well. So if we do this we traded Anquan Boldin for Whitehurst and a 5th round pick for Kerry Rhodes. If we can’t renegotiate with the Chargers and give up a 6th or 7th then there is no way we can pull the trigger on this deal.

12. By Tyman on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

well he cant be worst than david Carr, so if he has some potential then give a third for hem better than picking up a crap QB that hasnt had much success or drafting a qb late that sucks. If the Cards like this guy give the pick for hem, I still think we should go out and get Mcnabb if we are going to give up a pick though.

13. By C on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

everyone
    rod graves is the gm of a playoff team for a reason. if him and coach whiz think its a good idea then who are we to tell them theyre wrong. in whiz we trust right??

14. By Logan Cooper on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I like this. He has been in the NFL which by that standard is much better than a 3rd round qb in the draft.
    Also norv turner is great at developing Qbs and evaluating them. So fr the chargers to tender a player who hasn’t played a snap is all good signs to me.

any word on my buddy lito? 🙂

15. By dylan on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

tyman-

i am seriously tired of hearing your crap about mcnabb he obviously isn good if the eagles let him go and personally i feel everyone thinks leinart is a better qb and will i hope be a probowler next year just watch

16. By NYCARDSFAN on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Seems like an awful big waste of resources on a guy with no stats. I mean there isnt even any info on wiki about him. Are they looking for a starter or has Leinart been confirmed as the starter yet?

17. By Gags on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I’ve seen a Cornerback mocked for Arizona in the first round? You think this is a possibility, I thought they were decently high on Greg Toler.

18. By darrenurban on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Gags —

Anything is possible, but I would tend to doubt a CB.

19. By ryan on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

He’s never played a snap in the NFL and we are going to give up a 3rd rounder for him? Whitehurst is 27 yrs old, i’d rather draft a QB in the 3rd round who also has never taken a snap in the NFL that is 21 or 22 yrs old.

20. By Dave on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

This makes good sense to me. St. Pierre had back problems all last year and if Whitehurst is the young QB the Cards would prefer to groom (rather than picking up a 3rd, 4th, or 5th rounder) I have no problem with that at all. He would not be as green as somebody fresh out of college having spent several years w/ the Chargers who by the way have a pretty good record picking QB’s out of the draft. He has just been buried behind Rivers and Volek and could very well be a diamond in the rough.
    I’m assuming the Cards would still pursue a vet backup for in case Leinart were to get hurt, and that St. Pierre would be going away?

21. By Brian R. on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Im assuming hes gonna be a 2nd string?

22. By Robert T on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I wouldn’t get Whitehurst. The Cards can pick up a veteran QB that get’s released. We need those picks to strengthen our depth on defense. Now if the Chargers will accept a 7th rounder from next year…fine. Remember, we won’t be scoring a bunch of points on offense just because that is not the Whiz style. He’s more ball control!

23. By Chris on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Would seem to me that the Card FO is looking to sign someone purely as a backup and they are putting their faith in Leinart. At least, this move would signal that to me.

24. By Ron on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I think the Cards should wait and see what becomes of Bulger and or Anderson before I would pick this guy up. If neither are there grab one in the draft. Your thoughts Darren?

25. By darrenurban on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Ron —

I think the Cards must have their reasons for visiting with him. Don’t forget, they brought in RFA FBs the last couple of years and never signed either to an offer sheet. All this is is a visit. Not a commitment.

26. By gaCARDSfan on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

In whiz we trust, and for the curious heres a little youtube action

27. By cody on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

the only good thing whitehurst has is a strong arm, he is definately NOT worth a 3rd rounder, usually i stand by rod graves and whisenhunts decisions, but if they give up a 3rd for this guy when guys with strong arms like cullpepper are still out there and come alot cheaper, i will be scratching my head with that decision. and Gags, i wouldnt go on any mock drafts recently, i saw a mock draft with us taking a wr.

28. By Big Red Fan on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Whitehurst is intriguing, honestly.

I know another unheralded unknown backup who had a few years experience in the league but no starting time.

Then his QB was hurt and he got a shot.

His name was Kurt Warner.

He turned out ok. . . .

29. By Big Red Fan on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

This may be a very insightful move by the Cards. Culpepper? Batch? Garcia? Really?

If they do indeed sign him, the obviously have seen something. Remember, they watch hours of film on these guys before making decisions. It’s not like they just look up their stats in Madden ’10 . . .

30. By Tyler Comella on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

how are the cardinals going to give up a 3rd round pick for whitehurst when they got a thrid round pick for boldin this would be a stupid sign if they go after whithurst he has not even thrown a pass in the nfl and has not played a sigle snap there is no way you give sd a thrid round pick for him. derek anderson sounds like the better bet i would go after him.

31. By The Dog on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Could this be part of something with Merriman? Something does not seem right….I think there is a bigger picture than we see….

32. By Ctownbeatdown on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Depth at QB is important who ever it is. Matty has not played a full season.

33. By K-DUB on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Big Red Fan-

Well said.

34. By Logan Cooper on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

In a sense, yes, this would be like trading boldin for whitehurst but then again say we draft someone and they are the next buster davis?
    Honestly I’d rather hear all of you cry about it now then later.

The NFL is a game of risk and reward. This is much more reward than risk.

Has foote made it out of D.C.?
    If so I really think we are gonna get porter and foote.
    We will actually have better depth than last year. Not to mention great mentoring to the younger linebackers and the ones drafted.

35. By darrenurban on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Logan —

I haven’t seen anything about Foote signing. That’s all I can go on.

36. By CHAD on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

TEBOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. By Chris on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Derek Anderson was just released..

38. By Lawrence Sawyer on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Big Red Fan –

Of course all they do is look at players stats on Madden 10:
    Antrel Rolle – 83
    Kerry Rhodes – 88

Need I say any more.

39. By Dan on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

D Anderson just became available there’s the answer to backup

40. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I like the QB. He’s got legs and scramble ability to go with a strong arm. I love Kurt, but he was just terrible immobile, and Matt isn’t much better in that regard. A mobile QB is one extra dimension the defense has to account for, which takes pressure of the wideouts and running backs.

The Cards need to stay competitive this year. They shown they are serious about that by signing Rhodes. They could have just dumped all that salary and signed a no-name. I don’t think Matt is going to stumble so bad that he needs to be replaced, but it is a possibility. Also, Matt hasn’t exactly been the most durable QB.

If any of those scenarios above happens, wouldn’t it be nice to have a young QB ready to step in and see if he’s up to the challenge – instead of waiting for the 2011 draft (if there even is one)? Who knows, the backup might end up being your QB of the future. I remember seeing such a scenario happen in Green Bay when a guy named Brett Favre stepped in for an injured Don Majkowski. “Majik” never played another down for the pack.

As much as Matt may not like the competition from a younger QB, let’s face it – competition is part of the NFL, and is a BIG key to building a successful team for Coach Whiz. You don’t guarantee these guys 10s of millions of dollars and then guarantee them no competition because they are adverse to having to earn/keep the starter’s job.

And for what it’s worth, keep in mind that Whiz wasn’t here when Matt was drafted (and neither were Rolle, Dansby, or Boldin for that fact).

41. By Andre on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I honestly don’t think we need a veteran backup. It would be interesting to get Whitehurst. Both Leinert and Whitehurst studied behind great QB’s. For a third rounder though? They better have found something pretty special in the film room. I think whiz would pull the trigger if there was some agreement. He likes competition and probably like to see these two battle it out.

42. By Joe-B on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I’d rather go for a QB that doesn’t cost a draft pick.

Even 2 for 17 Derek Anderson would be better.

43. By ndpenner on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

So no interest in Delhomme from us? (if he hasn’t been picked up already). He didn’t do great last season, but he’s had an extremely banged up team ever since the Super Bowl and he’s still taken the Panthers to the playoffs. I’m surprised we’re talking about guys like Whitehurst and Delhomme isn’t even mentioned.

44. By Big Red Fan on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Lawrence –

Hmmm…. I stand corrected. 🙂

45. By Big Rig on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Get Derrek Anderson signed. He never had the line or the recievers in Cleavland that he would have here.

46. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

If the Cards continue their winning ways, they will never be in position (26th pick, 31st pick, etc.,) to draft a QB labeled by the draftniks as, “franchise potential”. That means gambling that a mid-round QB pick with no NFL experience can develop into a starter. It certainly can happen though (e.g. Tom Brady)

Maybe this is the year Whiz gets to “draft” his QB by trading for a young QB who’s been broken into the NFL (he knows all the ropes and responsibilities associated with training camp and the regular season). There is NFL history on Whitehurst to be critiqued, although most of it has been backstory. That backstory which the fans don’t see (e.g. is he good in the locker room, does he practice hard, does he keep his ego in check, etc.,), can be very important to team chemistry and potential success.

It doesn’t all just happen on Sundays during the regular season.

47. By Nathan H on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Out of the two options of Whitehurst and Anderson, I’d prefer Anderson. I mean if they want a qb that bad they can just draft a QB in the third round like a Tony Pike or McCoy then the person would be younger and get the allegiance of fans since they’d be starting their career as a Cardinal rather than some free agent we picked up for a few years that we won’t care about. Drafting someone new brings more excitement. Only upside to it, is maybe he’ll get a really cheap contract. Regardless I think the 3rd round pick would be better used getting depth in the defense

48. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Derek Anderson. Bad. Really Bad. He hasn’t been able to hit the broadside of a barn the past two years. That’s why the Browns cut him – they have seen no indication that he is capable of breaking out of his slump anytime soon.

49. By dylan on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

ottis this is for you:

watch the video at the bottom of the page looks to me like matt can scramble pretty well actually

50. By Card's Refugee on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Interesting….. At first i thought NO WAY! I thought if we are going to do anything with the 3rd, go get the mlb from Oakland. Aftrer looking closer and watching the you tube video above, (thnx GA). I am now going to take the stance that Whatever Coach and Rod believe is right, is fine by me. He appears to have great mobility, pretty fast when he runs the roll out/option. This is all footage of college ball, but I trust that Whiz has watched all of his preseason snaps, and will make the right choice. We need 2 qb’s, why not get this guy for a draft pick and then go get a veteran backup for this year. A one year deal with Jake Delhomme (sp) doesn’t sound so bad.

51. By lil swagg on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

We defenitly need to pick up d andersen whitehurst is unproven and we shudnt waste a pick on him we need all the picks on the defensive side I think andersen still has a lot of talent and hell hav fitz n breaston n doucet to throw to in case leinart fails

52. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I’ll opt for upside (Whitehurst) over the proven, documented downside (or is it downslide?) of Anderson anyday.

That aside, Matt’s my starter. I think Matt’s going to do very well and prove a lot of people wrong in 2010.

53. By kekojones on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

For those of you who never heard the name Whitehurt before: There used to be an unknown guy who got a chance to start a game in St. Louis…, and you all know “the rest of the history”… check the video below… he looks like a young, mobile and stronger arm.. Kurt Warner.. I say go for it…

54. By Eazy E on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Calm down Cardinal Nation. Ok, I would definitely prefer Derek Anderson. He has a big arm and proved that he can get it done(see 2007 season). DA would be my first option because of his experience and he’s only 26. I have heard lately alot about whitehurst. San Diego may have 3 QBs who can start including Volek. From the youtube video, looks like he has a good arm with good mobility and pretty accurate. It is college but he did look good at clemson. A 3rd round pick is very high, but were going to use a mid round pick on a QB anyway, why not? I’d want him over Delhomme or Bulger. Derek Anderson-1st Charlie Whitehurst-2nd.

55. By Patrick on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Th clip on Whitehurst was impressive. I remember him. Whiz and Miller would know.

56. By Ditship on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Interesting. I for one won’t cry if we get someone I’ve never heard of. I had NEVER heard of DRC until the Combine and he worked out all right for us. My guess is that Whis had a high opinion of Whitehurst when he came out of college and now he has a shot at actually bringing in someone that might just be what he really wants behind the center of his football team. Whis believes in competition at all positions and Matt looks like he might have to earn his spot and not have it handed to him this year. The way it should be.

57. By gordo on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

darren
    anyway u can explain how we can get a 3rdrd pick compeninsated for jason wright

58. By darrenurban on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Gordo —

Long story, but the pick wouldn’t be for Jason Wright. What Sando was saying is that, if Wright didn’t qualify as a counting free agent (based on salary/production) then the loss of Antonio Smith as a free agent might get the Cards an extra third-round pick at the end of the round.

59. By Oliver Stone on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Alright, Need a conspiricy theory as big as JFK?

Bear with me here. There is a rumor that Porter may be heading to sandiego. But why since Merriman, English and Phillips are there.
    Could there be a deal in the works sending Merriman and Whitehurst to the Cards for a 2nd and 3rd?

Think about it, Merriman is gone next year, So is whitehurst. The cards need a good young OLB and QB. The cards dumped alot of salary.Could it be to sign Merriman ? The chargers save money and get draft picks for players they will lose anyway, doesnt it make sense for the chargers?

Darren,This smells like a cover-up. is there something big in the works ?

60. By darrenurban on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Oliver —

The last I saw, the Chargers didn’t want Porter. Merriman isn’t necessarily gone next year. Such is the magic of the franchise tag.

Stick with back-and-to-the-left.

61. By TucsonCardsFan on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

gaCardsfan –

Thanks. Did you get that from Chris Miller? Pretty quick release and looks accurate. Even better now?Probably worth a 3rd, esp since we may get a compensatory 3rd. Just have to trust Whiz and Miller’s judgment.

62. By OSUBeaverFan on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

With Anderson you are getting a QB with a cannon for an arm (70 yards in the air) who is tall and has reasonable ability to move in the pocket. He never had any wide receivers in cleveland who could catch a ball or run a route. He also had an O-line that couldn’t block my grandmother. Joe Montana would have struggled with the roster Cleveland put on the field. Anderson would be a great pickup that would fit into the mold of Warner and not miss a beat.

63. By james on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

i dont know very much about this guy but he has good size and if the cards see potential in him then then they should do it. hes definitely better than any qb going in the third round.

64. By WAYNE on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I actually know who Charlie Whitehurst is, I know he has never thrown a pass in the NFL as a backup with the CHARGERS but scouts do and did like his arm and talent, I can see him or Anderson as a CARDINAL by rhe end of the week.

Darren, I know are pass protection has been pretty good for as much as we passed but as we start to run the ball more I think we need a starting veteran run blocker with massive size. Do you now of any visits coming up that could help us at that position or possibly could visit us.
    Thanks, Darren

65. By darrenurban on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Wayne —

They had Wade Smith in today and Rex Hadnot coming in tomorrow, although both might just be for depth.

66. By TucsonCardsFan on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Cards refugee –

Right on, did you notice that he usually rolled left, passed right and was very accurate. Of course that was college and highlights, but is there anybody coming out of the draft this year that looks that good. Especially down to the 3rd round, his release is a lot quicker that Tebows don’t you think. Fun stuff

67. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

unproven, unproven. Can someone tell me what it would take ot be proven in the NFL. like Jeff Garcia, a proven playoff qb, but also proven that he isnt good enough to hold young qb’S AT bay from taking his job. Same goes for Derek Anderson, a proven loss record I wouldnt want to touch the cardinals. Even Jake Delhome has proven that he will take risks like Favre, but, not win the big games. so, saying that. I’d take an unproven guy who tore shit up with clemson in college. clemson. not usc. not florida, not bama or texas. mother f’N CLEMSON. so tell me. A proven loser, or a possible winner? I take the possibility over the known failures you all seem to want us to have. Althouhg, we do need a vet for a back up. but, we also need someone to push the envelope. and I agree, the chargers do pick good qb’S, they just do. I say take him. but not for a 3rd round. We can pull it off with a 5th round I think.

68. By james on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I just read that foote is looking for fujita money.(3 years 14 mil, 8 guaranteed)
    do you think the cards would be willing to give him that kind of money?

69. By darrenurban on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

James —

Good question. If you think Foote can still play (he turns 30 this season), maybe that’s worth it. But it seems a bit high.

70. By pacardfan on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Hummm, this is interesting. I’ve heard of Charlie but don’t know much about him exp. that he is a 2nd or 3rd string QB for SD. I hope ARZ. goes with Jake Delhome or Derek Anderson now that both are avb. I know Derek isn’t all that great, but he will be working around a better OL and WR’s than in Clev. Let’s be honest, that helps out a lot. I prefer they get Jake but nothing has been rumored or anything about him for any team, so that isn’t looking good. But then again, I’m not the prof. who scouts these guys, so what do I really know about this Charlie? If the Cards. dec. to go after him and give a 3rd , then they obs. know what’s best for the team. We as fans tend to get more involved be of our passion towards the team. But as fans, we have to trust those whom are in the postions to make the dec. Cards. will be a threat this year still!

71. By chris from the north on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I don’t want a “back up QB”. We need somebody that will compete and push matt. Not a lock for the hall of fame, that is just gonna make him nervous. Yesterday I brought up Delhomme, but he get’s rattled too easy. I think the Andersen route could be fun, and change the focus for this cards team.

72. By bill v. on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I THINK THAT WOULD BE A GREAT MOVE TO HAVE TWO YOUNG EXPERINCED QB’S. I’M SURE HE KNOWS THE QB POSITION VERY GOOD, HIS FATHER WAS A QB FOR THE PACKERS AND WAS PRETTY GOOD.I RATHER HAVE HIM THAN D.ANDERSON.

73. By Derek on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

If you ran the Cardinals, which QB would you rather have: Delhomme, Whitehurst, Bulger, Anderson, or Garcia?

74. By darrenurban on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Derek —

Ahh, but I don’t run the Cardinals. If someone wants to give me Whiz’s or Rod’s salary, I’d make sure to know. But frankly, I don’t watch enough tape to know. I’m not big on Garcia, to be honest. Don’t like the attitude he brings to the locker room if he is a backup.

75. By fitz 4 mt rushmore on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Whitehursts dad was a very solid starter in the NFL for many years, so he has the genes. Charlie has solid skills & upside but I wouldn’t give up more than a 4th

76. By knight on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I personally wouldn’t mind someone like anderson playing for competition with matt but I honestly think matt could be the answer, also i think the cardinal org should most def go after a guy time tebow he has obviously knows how to win. now whether or not he has great mechanics he still completes the plays to win.

77. By kyle c on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I heard Adam Schefter say earlier today that Porter and foote already have their minds made up that they want to reunite with Haggins in Ariizona. The only way i see it not happening is if the Cardinals deciide they want to go younger at one of the positions, or if so some other team overpays for one of them..

78. By Ruben R on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

DEREK ANDERSON did u guys see this guy played last year he was HORRIBLE that only decent FA back up is charlie batch but with big bens problems i dont see pittsburg letting him go.A third round pick for a back up maybe grave and whiz know somethin that we dont know

79. By SmoothCardGa on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I think DA and Whitehurst would be great additions… I’d totally spend a 3rd on a guy who has been in the league and understands the rigors of being in the league vs a guy who may not even make the team… (not saying that exactly the case)

I think Whitehurst has some game… I thought he did at Clemson.

DA lost his faith in his WRs… Those couldn’t catch the ball even if you super glued fly paper to their hands. I don’ think he’d have that much of an issue with our guys. Fitz, Breaston, Doucet, Patrick (very underrated hands), THT, LSH, and Jason Wright have all showed they have reliable hands… Heck, even Beanie showed some decent ability as a receiver… (too bad it didn’t carry to pitch outs)

80. By cards62 on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Remember Cards fans Leinart is the man in 2010.
    I still want Bulger for our backup.
    Whitehurst no way a third for him. We only get a third for an all pro like A. Boldin for a guy who has never thrown a pass in the NFL. No way. Why even talk with him. I watched him play at Clemson and he was not good in the ACC. Lets give Leinart one more year to see what we have and hopefully our QB position is set for the next 10 years and not waste any draft picks on QBs this year that will just ride the pines watching Leinart play for the next 4 or 5 years and then we lose them to free agency . Lets get a good backup QB as an insurance policy and worse case – Leinart sucks in 2010 so we play the experience backup for the second half of the year and draft a QB with our high pick in 2011 and/or sign McNabb. Our schedule is tough next year so this will be a great test for Leinart so lets give him the first 8 games next year and evaluate after that point. Go Cards 3 time Western Division Champions in 2010

81. By Dick on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Otis Fan said it-

I say-Jake Delhomme is fine until he gets into a game!Do you want him giving up the ball for us?

Mark Bulger is accurate and could help us if he isn’t gun-shy by now.

Charlie Whitehurst is a young 27, is pretty accurate, and has learned from Turner & Rivers.

82. By Chuck Anderson on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!We need more depth in the secondary !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

83. By Dre on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I guess I am having a change of heart on D. Anderson as a football player. But for the record…I hope we do not go back to the “who is going to start this game @ QB” plan. It was a great feeling knowing who the QB (Kurt) was going to be from game to game.

I believe Matt has earned the right to be The Arizona Cardinals starting quarterback. He was beat out by a quarterback, who’s name and H.O.F. has been used in the same sentence by more than one person. I saw a more mature and posed QB when he was on the feild last year. I saw no complants and a pretty good attitude from this young man.

He brought us back from an butt whooping in preseason against the Packers and if it wasn’t for a last second TD with a 99 yard drive…we would of beat the Titans.

Yes…give him his and don’t bring in confusion. Oh, am I the only one who noticed there isn’t a shorage of good quarterbacks anymore. Almost every team has a superstar, star, pro bowler or good QB nowadays.

84. By Ruben R on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

DEREK ANDERSON LAST YEAR completed just 81 of 182 passes (45 percent) for 888 yards and three TDs with 10 interceptions. NO THANKS I PASS.DEREK ANDERSON NOT ONLY SUCKS HE SUPER SUCKS ONE GAME HE COMPLETED TWO PASSES FOR 23 YARDS i RATHER KEEP ST PIERRE SUCKY @$$

85. By Scott H on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Oh, boy, this lousy off-season just keeps getting worse every time I tune in. What the…like so many others, I’m asking who the hell is this Whitehurst guy??? And what does he do for the Cardinals, exactly??? Apparently, he’s thrown as many passes in a regular season NFL game as I have…and we need to give up a 3rd round pick for him??? You’ve gotta be kidding me. Can someone please wake me up from this nightmare??? As far as I’m concerned, we can keep St Pierre, we’re no better or worse off, and we can keep our 3rd round pick! We’ve gone from a Hall of Fame QB to Matt Leinart and a back-up who no one has ever heard of and has never thrown a pass in a regular season game…throw in Boldin holding up a purple Raven’s jersey and it’s just what I said – a night mare.

86. By Voice of Reason on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

If the Cardinals could pull this off they would be in good shape. What do you think?

(1)rnd JERRY HUGHES (OLB) TCU
    (2)rnd CAM THOMAS (DT) NC
    (3)rnd DAN LEFEVOUR (QB) C.MICH
    (3)rnd ANTHONY McCOY (TE) USC
    (4)rnd AMARI SPIEVEY (CB) IOWA or A.J JEFFERSON (CB) FRESNO ST.
    (6)rnd ERIC OLSEN (C) NOTRE DAME
    (7)rnd SCOTT LONG (WR) LOUISVILLE

87. By cody on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

you all keep saying that when it comes to whitehurst, that “there was once a young unproven qb who got his chance to play and did ok, his name is Kurt Warner” and theyres a couple holes in that way of thinking: 1. the rams didnt give up a 3rd round pick to get that young unproven quarterback, we could very easily get a “young, unproven qb” in the 5th, 6th, or 7th rounds. and 2. for every Kurt Warner story there is 500 stories that didnt go over so well, warner was one in a million, so lets not waste a 3rd round pick that we could spend on improving our defense on that kind of odds. i like our odds with finding great players in the later rounds (pat tillman, tim hightower, darnell docket, steve breaston, early doucet, adrian wilson, larod stephens howling, gerald hayes)A LOT better than the odds of finding a great qb out of nowhere (kurt warner, and the rams were the ones to find him, not us)

88. By Dre on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think the back and forth quarterback method works, lets just look at the 49ers. As long as the 49ers continue this, they are not good enough to win the west. I was doing back flips when they signed David Carr. It just confirms that they are singing the same ‘ol song.

All the teams that go back and forth are barely .500 and worst ball clubs. And lets not forget…we were one of these teams just a short time ago, using that method. We are not a rebuilding team…we are the NFC West Champion.

Kurt Warner came to the Cardinals in “05 by Dennis Green and it took him, as a veteran QB 2-3 years to get it together….and now we are all sad to see him go. Lienart was drafted in ’06 by Dennis Green and battled for a starting job his rookie year and the next. This is a perfect set up for The Cardinals, for Matt and for us as fans.

I brought up D. Green’s name for a reason. It was players from his watch that we lost via retirement, trades and free agency. I will give “da wiz” a few more years before I say – in wiz I trust.

I stand firm about bring in a veteran back-up and moving forward with Matt as the one and only starter for the year. They should work on getting the defense back together and possible becoming a solid top 10 DEFENSE.

89. By Jesse Robles on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

I am in no way comparing Kurt Warner to Derek Anderson, but Derek Anderson went to the Pro Bowl 2 years ago, last year wasn’t that good with the Browns, but Kurt Warners last season with the Giants was pretty horrible too before he came to the Cardinals. I am not saying Anderson is Warner, I am just saying you don’t know until you give someone a chance again. Derek Anderson said that the Browns Fans were Rude and Horrible, from what I have been reading, our “ONE YEAR WONDER FANS” we acquired during the Super Bowl have been acting the same way. Either you are with us or against us, but this isn’t the same old Cardinals. The front office isn’t going to let this team go down the drain, there are 5 months until training camp, chill out, or go to the Chiefs with Todd Haley, they just got Thomas Jones you know…?

90. By Roy on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Warners body isnt even cold and people are comparing Whitehurst to Warner. I watched Warners entire career, he and Brady are once in a generation stories. There may never be another, so stop trying to be Nostrodamus about Whitehurst. go get Anderson and use the pick for defensive or o-line depth.

91. By Dan on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Jack Sparrow? LOL!

92. By Tom Camden on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

I think Whitehurst is a franchise QB waiting to happen. He was totally lights out at Clemson. He’s big, strong-armed and comes from an NFL familly. (His dad played in the NFL). I have a hard time understanding why people who claim to be football fans don’t know about this guy. He was a three or four year starter a Clemson where they ran a pro style offense and he ran it very well. His only problem is that he’s been on a team with Phillip Rivers. Under those circumstances not many QB’s would get a chance to play. I would love to see him come here. We would be set a QB for years!

93. By CMacyn on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

I like what i saw of Whitehurst in college but could find no NFL tape from him (mainly because being behind two decent QBs will get you ZERO playtime) I don’t want to jump the gun but I just get a better vibe from Whitehurst because he is on a good team and probably learned a lot from Rivers and Volek. I also feel he will push Matt and if nothing else give us something a little new to add to the offense.

94. By Dave on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Funny nobody seems to mention that Whitehurst’s dad was an NFL QB for quite a while, and that kind of mentoring while a kid is growing up can pay HUGE dividends. Maybe not ALWAYS, but still…just sayin’…

95. By ben on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Guys are yall serious whose charlie whitehurst and darreck anderson sucks leinerts are future he screws up we go from there but theres not allot of good qbs on the market or in the draft besides bradfors and clausen who would go in the first 1 to 15 picks atleast

96. By ben on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

and guys collage and the nfl is a diffrent thing we need superbowl rings not a washed up back up do yall not remember leinert in the heisman and his rookie season he had a great year then he gets his head on str8 hell be a gr8 nfl player

97. By pat13 on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

I like the deal for Whitehurst if they can get it done. A third round pick is a good deal if Whitehurst either wins the starting job or pushes Leinart to where we think he should be. Whitehurst sat behind one of the best starting Qb’s and one of the best backup QB’s in the league. The class of 06 was much better for QB’s than this year. The kid is obviously hungry to fight for a starting job and the fight between him and Leinart could be very interesting.