In a holding pattern

Posted by Darren Urban on March 12, 2010 – 4:42 pm

Sorry, no signing news yet. Judging by the comments/Facebook entries/tweets I see, it could be a rough weekend out there. But as of this posting, no one else has agreed to terms, although general manager Rod Graves has been behind closed doors most of the day. I already addressed the linebackers earlier today so I’m not going to go into that all over again. There is news that Larry Foote is scheduled to visit Pittsburgh, but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything. He’s trying to create some leverage, which makes sense. But the Steelers want him as a reserve and it doesn’t make much sense to me that a) that would be something Foote wants or b) the Steelers would throw a lot of money at a backup.

As for Joey Porter, there have not been any reports of any more visits scheduled. Here’s the thing with Porter, besides the money thing I had addressed earlier. He said yesterday he wants to be in the West and be closer to home, and that he fits better in a 3-4 defense. Aside from the Cards, that leaves the 49ers, Chargers and Broncos, by my calculations. The Niners are in good shape at linebacker and have shied away from adding older free agents. The Chargers have been trimming payroll, and they already have Shawne Merriman and Larry English at Porter’s position. The Broncos, I suppose, could be a wild card, but I don’t know if he fits in a place getting a roster overhaul from Josh McDaniels. So the Cards really seem like the place that would want him, without as many other options. That will help set the market.

The visits today could be interesting. Linebacker Paris Lenon, as I mentioned before, would be a depth guy, but he’s a sparkplug and good in the locker room. Then there is quarterback Derek Anderson, who had a brief reunion — pictured below — with strength and conditioning coach John Lott today (Lott was with the Browns in 2005-06, Anderson’s first two years in the NFL). Anderson visited the Seahawks and the Cards, but it’s difficult to tell the interest. I don’t know if Anderson is a guy they want to ink to a longer deal, or if they want to get him on, for example, one or two years and see what he can do before committing. It’s tough to tell what Anderson will want either; he doesn’t want to get stuck here long-term if Matt Leinart pans out.

So stick with the site and Twitter over the next couple of days. Things tend to come together quickly once they start to come together, if you can follow that line of thinking. The Foote thing, for instance, makes me smile. The article I linked to above said Foote could sign with the Steelers if he passes a physical. Well, yeah. He could. He also might not.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

101 Responses to “In a holding pattern”

1. By moe16 on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

darren, lets hope the cards sign this guys we need them as fars as the run stopping team cards can be and with veterans to help the up and coming player is a good factor i dont think the cards will let foote walk to pit and porter i think will come around

2. By fitzis11red on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Ahhhhhhhh! Lets go D. We get these guys and look out NFC West. What can we say that hasn’t been said. Darren your comments about Porter are actually very encouraging. I just saw on NFL Network that Michael Lombardi says he is asking for $6 million to sign and nobody league wide is willing to pay that and that he may need to lower his price tag. Also he has no other scheduled visits at this time. Compared to that and what you stated above my heart is pounding. We need both of these guys. Foote as a back up? No way, come here and start baby!!!! Thank you Darren for ALL your insight. I lookforward to it everyday.

3. By Scott H on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Forget Anderson – I just saw on NFL.com where the 49ers have given Shaun Hill permission to seek a trade! THIS IS THE GUY THE CARDINALS NEED TO GET AFTER!!! He has a winning record as a starter, has thrown roughly twice as many TD’s as INT’s, and he did this with a team with little recognizable talent at WR over the last few years. This guy is the type of solid veteran presence that we need. He’s perfect. He’s not a guy that Leinart would feel threatened by BUT at the same time, he could very well be a better QB right now ( and going forward ) than Leinart. While everyone else has been throwing the names Pennington, Vick, McNabb, Anderson, Carr, and Delhomme around I’ve been shouting for Hill all along! I’m telling ya, he is the guy we need. I have to wonder how willing the 49ers would be to trade him to their biggest rival in the division, but…hey, he just became available and up against the slop that is the free agent pool of QB’s in the NFL right now, Hill is better than any of them. THIS is the move that could help me start to forget all the major losses we’ve had so far and get ready to look forward! Pick up the phone, Mr Graves, and get on it!!!

4. By larry spurgeon on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Great post, thank you. Heard on the NFL channel that porter wants a multi-year deal in the 6 million range and he has no other visits scheduled. They also reported other teams are shying away from him due to his age and asking price. Too much!!

5. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Here is my opinion Cardinal nation, once again the Cardinals are going to let another two get away. Thde deal should have already been done. Foote should not even be leaving Az to go back to Pittsburgh. I can almost guarantee that the Steelers will pull the trigger and give him what he wants. That organization is not afraid to spend a little money to get good players. Look at the money they gave Roethlesberger, and Kurt Warner had to lower his price to re-sign with the Cards. The whole country is in a financial bind, but yet other teams are spending the money necessary to try and win a Super Bowl. In my opinion Cards fans, they will sign Paris for dirt cheap, from the 1-15 Rams. I’m encouraged. What might have been, I just don’t see will ever be. Same Ole Cards!! Sorry Darren, that is my opinion, as lousy as you and everyone else may think it is. I think the Management is afraid to take a chance, and that is too bad.

6. By BDMag on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

This is about as frustrating as every other off-season for the last 20 years. Ok well a little more.
    Anyway Darren, I didn’t hear anymore about Matt ware, did his deal get done?

7. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

BDMag —

Ware does not have a deal yet.

8. By Scott H on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Oops, forgot to ask – Darren, what would be your thought on a trade to bring Hill here?

9. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

I’m not trading for Hill and giving my rival a draft pick.

10. By Eazy E on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

DA get used to the facility because hopefully you are a cardinal. I expect it to be a 2 or 3 year deal.

11. By Alberto on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

great work once again.awesome article… Are u aware of any other free-agents scheduled visits?

12. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Alberto —

I have not heard of any others.

13. By VoiceofReason on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Appreicate the news, Darren.

14. By Eric on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

I would say we should try to trade for Shaun Hill now that the 49ers have given him permission to work out a trade, but I seriously don’t see them wanting to trade him to the division winner the last 2 years.

15. By Eazy E on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Amen Darren!! No way would i trade a draft pick to the 49ers for Shaun Hill. Let’s get DA, forget shaun hill!

16. By Foote ?? on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

darren,
    you brought up a really good point. Foote wont sign with pittsburgh cause he wont start plus didnt they let him loose two yrs ago so they didnt have to pay him ? If that was me – it would leave a really bad taste in my mouth. As for porter it almost seems that he would lower his price tag to be a cardinal. In Whiz we trust!!! He’s not showing us all his cards yet. He’ll build a team to get us a ring

17. By roland on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Dansby is a great player we need to fill the void with a great player or players.Defense wins championships. If the cards sign foote and porter this will fill the seats i believe. Go Cards

18. By 949cardsfan on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Lone-eagle. Until management shows us different, they are the same old cheapskates. You are what your record says you are, in this case it says management is unwilling to fully commit to assembeling the best team possible. SHOW ME SOMETHING! Prove us wrong. Memo to the Bidwells- Its ok to pay a guy a little to much, your not gonna live any different. Foote never should of left the complex without a deal.

19. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

949 —

Management did enough to win two division titles, get to a Super Bowl, extend Whiz and make him one of the highest paid coaches. They might not have showed you everything, but don’t say they haven’t showed you something.

20. By Scott H on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Well, wouldn’t THEY also be giving up a rather proven QB to a division rival as well??? A trade means BOTH sides benefit. Sorry, but I disagree with you here. Granted, neither of us knows exactly what the 49ers would want for Hill but what could they reasonably expect to get for him??? What would be your guess? We’re not not talking a first round pick here…Hill is a proven player at a position of definite need at a time when there is virtually nothing else available worth getting excited about in free agency. Draft picks are ALWAYS a question mark because you never know how those players will fare in the NFL. Well, we DO know Hill can play. I say he is definitely worth a middle round pick. If that would get it done, the Cardinals would be crazy not to do it. I’ll tell ya something else – while the 49ers might not think so, I think Hill might be the most talented QB on their roster right now! I think getting him off their roster and onto ours kills two birds with one stone! I hate to say it but with Warner gone, this division is up for grabs and the 49ers are the team most capable of passing us by. If Hill makes us a better team, more capable of staying ahead in the division, and it’s going to take a draft pick to make it happen…I’m in.

21. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

I don’t think Shaun Hill is a proven QB.

22. By Ruben R on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

if foote and porter are plan A for that cardinals i wonder what is plan B is because we cant go to that draft with two holes in defenses you need to draft best available player you dont want to draft to fill a hole teams in that top ten draft to fill holes thats why they are in that top ten in that draft because they have holes to fill

23. By vsancards on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Why trade for Hill? He has no value in a trade, so he will likely be released.

24. By Steve on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

The reason this off season is so tough is the Cards have some needs AND they are winners.

In the past it was just for fun as the season was over 4 to 5 games in every year, now it for a Division Title and the chance to go back to the SB.

Graves and Whiz have tough jobs in the off-season. The are basically gambling on every FA signing as to when to sign someone and when to wait and let the market adjust the price. Get it right and you create a great team, get it wrong and you look like the Redskins.

If the signings happen like we want with Ware, Robinson, Foote and Porter this is a D that will be better tan last year. Guys like Brown, Davis and Johnson will start to be solid contibuters and and the new draft class will fill some special teams and nickel/ dime packages.

When was the last time a Cards team could talk about draft picks not being needed to make an impact today. Not even last year, we needed Wells to step in and take over for James.

Great job Graves and Whiz…keep the Tums close at hand!!

25. By James on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Lone Eagle why do you even bother to root for the Cardinals if that’s your attitude?I don’t get it,why put yourself through all of that “pain and suffering”?Since Pittsburgh spends so much money on players(humm,let’s see,when their contracts were up,they let Porter,Foote,MacFadden,Randle El and soooo many more go to free agency) why don’t they sign a lot of high-priced free agents like a Dansby or a Rolle?Roethlesberger,Harrison and Ward are the only three really significant re-signings that I can think of off the top of my head that the Steelers have given “big money” to in the past 10 years or so.That’s just not the way they do business,they don’t throw a lot of money at free agents.Pittsburgh was a bad example to use.

26. By mike on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Off topic but have you heard any updates on DRC and his recovery? Sorry if you’ve answered this elsewhere already

27. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Mike —

DRC is coming along. Hopefully there will be a video update about DRC’s recovery soon.

28. By matt schultz on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

As much as i hate to say it, i dont have much confidence in the cards signing either foote or porter. This is very dissapointing. I live in St. Louis and have follwed the cardinals since i was a kid and still lack confidence in the organization. I agree we shouldnt break the bank for these guys but look at the money we have from losing rollle, warner and boldin. There is no excuse not to sign both of them. I know they want to resign dockett but you cant go cheap on the rest of your team just to pay one big contract to dockett. We need to take advavtage of this division while it is still weak and get as many playoff runs in as we can. If we win a few playoff games we will more than make back the money we spent. As far as hill goes, my other team i follow is the niners and i can tell you that numbers are decieving. He has no deep arm and is not very accurate over 10yds. Half his completions were dump offs and swing passes. If you fall behind in a game with him you have no chance to comeback. Hope we are surprised and we porter and foote sign. Thanks for the coverage Darren.

29. By Ctownbeatdown on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Hill sucks…

30. By james on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

i see no logic in this. i understand that they are going to take their time with foote and porter but come on. foote is a good player at a position we really need to fill. why are we letting him go other places? we cant afford to lose this guy. we need to replace dansby. if they let foote get away i will be extremely disappointing in the organization.

31. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Hey James, you are right, Pittsburgh is a bad analogy but don’t talk to me about attitude!!! I am still recovering from the Anquan Trade!!! Let me ask you this James, do you really want Paris Lenon on this team, just because he will come cheap? Have you seen his stats? Have you seen him play? I have, and I am not encouraged, not to mention he is 3 years older than Foote and the same age as Porter. The difference is with Porter, he is proven. They both are proven!! The bottom line is, I am sitting here watching all the free agent signings with teams that are trying to make their teams better, and put themselves into contention, and Az as usual is letting these players go and explore other options, in hopes they will crawl back tothe Cardinals and lower their salary, Make no mistake, if Foote resigns with the Steelers, there is a very good chance, the steelers are back in the A.F.C. championship again. Palomalu is back in the line up. He is why they didn’t make the playoffs last year. Also, please don’t think that if Porter waits long enough that a team won’t sign him for what he is asking for. Once again he is proven. Just because he didn’t get along very well in Miami, doesn’t mean a damn thing!! Porter can still play at a high level, as well as Foote, but I guess we will never know, because this is the Cardinals. I do my research, and when I see something that should happen and it doesn’t, yea I have a bad attitude!!

32. By its me again on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

sure glad scott h is not running this team.

33. By Cards Fan on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

I think with the linebackers, everyone has to realize that they are just guys to help buy time for drafted players. Porter would be here to buy time for Brown and Davis because of the questions surrounding Brown. Foote would be here to buy time for hopefully an inside linebacker that they draft. Obviously they would help this year, but Whisenhunt always talks about having a plan, and I assume he means the current year but also to the future. So I’m sure with every move they think future.

However, there is one move, that I don’t think was thought out the best. That was the swing and whiff on Rashad Johnson. Not because Johnson hasn’t panned out yet, but they should have taken an inside linebacker with that pick (but I may be not making sense b/c I don’t know who was available then). At that point in time it seemed as if Rolle had a better chance at coming back than Dansby. There is nobody ready to go for Dansby’s departure, which everyone knew was eventually going to happen. But who knows, that ILB could have turned out to be a bust. Or maybe their plan all along was to draft an ILB the year Dansby left, so that’s why they are trying to get Foote on a decent deal, to cover themselves if they miss on their draft pick.

I know the Cards like their two practice squad WR for their 4th WR spot, but that means they are only one injury away from playing a lot of snaps as the 3rd and only two injuries from starting. If I’m the Cards, I don’t know if I’m ok with that especially knowing that Doucet and Breaston have both missed time before.

34. By Cards Fan on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I know most of these guys won’t be coming back, but do any of these guys have any visits or anything set up with other teams?

Gandy, Krieder, St. Pierre, Bryan Robinson, Okeafor, Beisel, Ralph Brown, Rackers

35. By darrenurban on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Cards Fan —

I have not heard about any of those guys taking visits.

36. By Cards Fan on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

With Lenon, it looks like he might be alright. He started for the Rams last year, and for the Lions for two years before that. I know both of those teams aren’t very good, but still. His numbers look actually better than Foote’s numbers. He seems versatile too. This may be the guy that people need to start talking about. Interestingly, it looks like Foote replaced him in Detroit.

37. By Steve on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Revisionist history on players in fun.

Porter was released by a team that just spent a lot of money on Danby who is not as good at getting to the QB as Porter.

Foote is going to be a back-up in Pitt. So how exactley is he going to get them back in the playoffs?

Do we want to call Rolle the best Safety ever (like he was paid). Wilson/ Rhodes will be a better tandem. And anyone saying the Cards are cheap…don’t forget they matched NYs offer!

The Redskins have proven that just signing players won’t mean winning. Look at Seymour, he was traded just like Q because the Pats knew he would want too much money.

Great teams don’t shell out huge contracts every year. The Bears are buying everything they can and are still the 3rd best team in the NFC North. Washington is the 4th best in the their confrence.

38. By fitzis11red on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

You know I have to say it. Though the possible signings of Porter and Foote are exciting, if they don’t sign so what? And why all the negativity about the cards (not from everyone of course). Have we forgotten that the most downtrodden franchise, that we support, went to and should have won the Super Bowl just two years ago? All this talk about how the Steelers do buisness…I mean we are a franchise in their image really and Graves and Whisenhunt know what they are doing obviously. The cards were reborn again in 2008 not because of Warner or any individual but as an orginization and one we need to feel proud of as the long suffering Cardinals fans we are. When was the last time we seen a player traded to the Cardinals get alot of nationally televised face time? Emmitt, maybe? This franchise is in a place I honestly thought I wouldn’t live long enough to see it get to. I’m only 38. Been a fan since I was 16. Anyway, sorry…..I just am excited about our team and the FO has never been better. Go Whiz and Go Graves. No matter what you do in 2010, the future is bright.

39. By fitzis11red on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

I just saw a post ” you are what your record says you are”..How about 10-6?

40. By fitzis11red on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Correct me if I am wrong but over the last couple of years weren’t the Cardinals 7-2 without Boldin? Not that I wouldn’t still love to have him. Our biggest problem I believe is the huge question mark over Matt leinarts head. Whiz and Graves will get the LB’s we need one way or the other. Who ever they put in there will be ready to play. Like Calais Campbell filling Antonio Smiths spot. We’ll be fine. Though having Foote and/or Porter would greatly improve us from a veteran standpoint I believe the cards will play well in 2010 no matter what.

41. By darrenurban on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Fitzis11 —

Since the beginning of 2008, the Cardinals were 6-2 in games without Q.

42. By fitzis11red on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Breaston, Fitzgerald, Hightower, Wells, Solid o-line. Dockett, Rhodes, Wilson, DRC, McCfadden, Hayes, Haggans the list goes on and on. The Cards are solid. Any vets we bring in are just another piece of the puzzle no matter who it is.

43. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

I sure hope DRC comes out stronger and doesn’t lose speed. I think that having a true Free Safety in the position(no offense Antrelle) is going to help us be a team that doesn’t give up the big play. And I already believe we are a team that stops the run and YAC in short yardage plays and screens. I think it is vital we find a MLB. but, if Foote is 2nd string on the Steelers, why are we aching for him 2 b first string here? We didnt pay Dansby, who will we pay?

44. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

also, Shaun Hill is a good QB, but lets get him for free like someone else said. no trade. Our management got a good free safety the day after losing one. They can pull triggers,. but as washington ssaid, wait until you see the whites in their eyes. meaning. foote and porter will be easier to “shoot” or sign as time passes and they get desperate for a SuperBowl caliber team

45. By Brayden on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Its me again-

You say that now, But what if he does prove himself? What if he stays with the niners and walks all over us? I bet you’d feel pretty stupid.

46. By darrenurban on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Brayden —

Shaun Hill will likely never play another regular-season snap for San Francisco.

47. By Jeremiah on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Being a final 8 team, and after Dansby signed with the phins, to my understanding the cardinals can now sign 2 players at 5.5 mil min for next season. Being that next year is uncapped would it be a good idea to maybe sign Foote and Porter to front heavy contracts so they can get somewhere near the money they want, and we wouldn’t have to worry about their contracts being too big when the salary cap is reinstated?

48. By darrenurban on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Jeremiah —

All those things are being taken into consideration.

49. By Words of Wisdom on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

You know what, bringing in Porter only makes sense if your intentions are to play defense the way the Jets play defense. Press man coverage, blitz, bring everybody and the kitchen sink too, type of defense. But if the defensive philosophy is to drop back in coverage and play zone 70% of the time, the way we did against the Saints, then they would only be throwing their money away.

Here’s an example, Antonio Cromartie the former Charger DB played in a 3-4 system under DC Ted Cotrell, more (blitz and man coverage) in his 2nd year in the league he got 10 int and goes to the probowl. The next year same player, same team, but there’s a shift in the defensive philosophy under DC Ron Rivera more (zone). He goes from being a thorough-bred to a donkey, getting burned left, right, and center (2)int all season. However if the Cards are going to alter their defense to play the way the Jets, Ravens and Steelers do, then mangement should do whatever it deems necessary to accommodate those players (Porter/Foote).

50. By Words of Wisdom on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

And I don’t think I have to remind anybody, that this team with all of it’s talent gave up 90 points in two games.

51. By jason on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

This holding pattern is running low on fuel.

52. By BIGREDHONKEY on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Adam Schefter seems to think that the Cards are gonna be pretty active this weekend… He made it sound like we will def sign Porter and Foote, and maybe even Derek Anderson.. You know anything else on this yet?

53. By darrenurban on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

BigRed —

No I don’t.

54. By Peter in Canada on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Steve –

Excellent Post. Some of these posters make me laugh. They talked about how Whiz and Graves should be signed long term. Well they were signed so let them do their jobs and judge them some time after the draft when the final product is assembled.

55. By TucsonCardsFan on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Word –

Nice post. Not enough scrutiny of our defensive philosophy vv our personnel. Defense was a bust last year. We were fortunate to have 5 games vs. seattle, STL and Detroit which the defense almost let slip away. Leinart played well in TN and the defense allows 99 yd drive; most 20 yard completions; 90 points in playoffs (a record that will probably stand for some time)

Hopefully Henderson will help with the secondary and who knows, maybe he’ll move up to DC. Whiz says everybody has to compete for thier job.

So Rolle and Dansby are gone; Rhodes is already an upgrade. We’ll get some LB’s to fit our scheme. Hopefully, we have a scheme. Like you pointed out, it’s about the right strategy with the right people. I don’t really see the defense being worse next year.

56. By James on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Eagle,you still didn’t answer my question,why do you “torture” yourself over the “Same ole Cardinals”?Why continue to put yourself through it?At least you did admit to having a bad attitude though.About the Anquan trade,you had to see that one coming,right?They tried to trade him last year but what teams were offering just wasen’t enough.So this year what teams were offering was going to be even less because Boldin was a year older and more beat-up than the previous year.Boldin was not going to re-sign with the Cardinals and the Cardinals got something for him.I think that it was a good deal under the circumstances.That’s just how I look at it or my “attitude” about the situation.

57. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

hey Darren, what is the cardinals defensive philsophy or scheme going into next year? any inside tips or opinions about that? same thiing with offense.

58. By darrenurban on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

DRC —

I am guessing it isn’t going to change much from the last couple of seasons. There might be a bit more balance on offense, but again, they won 10 games last season.

59. By 949cardsfan on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Well said Lone-eagle, some of these folks believe if you are critical of managements decisions you are somehow not a true fan. Thats a joke! We are finally in a position to demand the best out of our organization, and again they are failing to sign 1st and 2nd tier FA’s. And yes Darren, “show me something”, in free agency that is, I cant think of a situation that dictates a big free agent move more so than this situation with our LB’s. You said it yourself, we have a huge need at LB. So if you tell me we are not gonna sign the best available, Dansby, cause of money, your damn right I expect you to sign the next best for less, Foote. I dont know, am I being to demanding, is this to much to ask? I dont think so. Are you truly ok with some guy named Paris Lenon, Im not!

60. By darrenurban on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Moe16 —

No one knows the numbers. They were always in talks, otherwise the two wouldn’t have visited in the first place.

61. By moe16 on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

darren i was reading the nespaper this morning the azrepublic and it stated that cards were in fact in contract talks with foote and ported is this true if so what the numbers

62. By Words of Wisdom on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

A balanced offense now that’s a good idea. have you ever heard the saying if you can’t beat’em – join’em. I guess if you can’t stop’em keep them off the field.

63. By 949cardsfan on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

So James, just so I understand you correctly, you are ok with the job management has done so far? If they fail to get at least Foote, you are ok with what we have? Open your eyes man! And I dont care about who we draft, it doesnt matter. The defense as is, is awful, with out at least one impact veteran at LB we will be terrible next year on D. If fans are gonna be content with winning a terrible NFC West, thats all management will truly strive for. Im an LA Angel fan, and I see Cards mangement doing exactly what Agel management has done. Fielding a competitive team that’ll win a Div, but needs all the planets to align to win a Championship. Trust me, Ive been through this before. Its agonizing, eventually just competing isnt enough, but maybe your ok with that. IM NOT!

64. By alex u on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

paitently waiting for something exciting to happen, it better happen.

65. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

949cardsfan, thank you and well said!! I feel the same way with the D-backs. James, I can’t debate with ignorance. I am glad they traded Q for his sake. Even injured and missing games, his stats still com[ared evenly to that of Larry Fitzgerald, who didn’t miss a game! Now imagine if Q had never missed a game. Why was he not able to play in the playoffs? Because he was left in a meaningless game to give Leinart some practice, while we were already getting destroyed at home. I believe he plays, the pllayoffs would have turned out differently, we will never know. Why do I torture myself? Because I am a true fan and I see what this organization ia capable of doing to continue it’s success, and it’s not doing it. Jerseys for Foote and Porter should already be getting made. Instead, my prediction, Foote in Pittburgh, Porter, I am not sure, and Paris Lenon to the Cardinals!! I really hope I am wrong. If I am O will be the first one to admit it, and it won’t be the first or the last. My opinion, my feeling. I am sure qwe will talk later James. Have a nice day!!

66. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Boy my typing is terrible, because I can spell!!

67. By alex u on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

-949cardsfan

Almost every cards fan agrees with you, well atleast i do but, It’s just a matter of time, i think both will sign, there just being a bunch of greedy ***** who want more money, it’s a business, the NFL and the players. There pretty much bluffing, they want to sign, i bet there happy with the offers Graves is putting up, they just want to see if they can make Graves push up the offer, Foote might be able to do so, Porter with probably have to accept what Graves is offering.

68. By alex u on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Okay so the Chargers have played against the 49’ers every year in pre-season and Charlie Whitehurst stats against the 49’ers in those 4 games combined are…..37/71 (52%), 370 Yds, 4 TD’s, 2 INT’s …..take away is rookie year and it’s 32/62 (52%), 318 Yds, 3TD’s, 0 INT’s.

69. By 949cardsfan on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

alexu-

Boy, I hope your right. If they both sign our D would be very much upgraded over last year. Imagine if we land Mt Cody at #26. Damn, we would be scary! How jealous would dansby and rolle be to play behind a front line of 9-0, Calais, The Mt., and J.Poter. If Toler pans out, I dont see a weakness. It wouldnt matter that Leinart doesnt hang 30 a game. That D would win games. Make it happen Graves!

70. By MoJo on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Ok I guess every one is tired of waiting and waiting it seems that this is going to be one loooooooong weekend!! I mean I am just waiting for the good tweet to come flying or for darren to bring in the good news.

71. By James on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

949 am I happy with the job management has done so far……………YES!Does that surprise you?It doesen’t matter if it does or not to me really.Yes I actually LIKE what management is doing and has done in the past 6-7 years or so.Did management offer Dansby a fair and comparable contract to stay?As it turns out,yes they did.Did they match the offer the Giants gave Rolle?Again yes,they did.Finally the deal that Boldin ended up getting turned out to pretty much be the same deal the Cardinals offered TWO YEARS AGO! So,what does that tell you?That all of those guys WANTED TO LEAVE….. period.Is that the Cardinals fault they wanted to leave?In my opinion no,it’s not.See,I think the problem is that some,like yourself, want the Cards to sign guys the same day they come in for a visit.In other words,you’re being impatient.Now,from what I’ve been hearing is that both Foote and Porter WANT to play for the Cardinals and a deal could be worked out this weekend. I also heard that Anderson could sign on this weekend too.Be patient,things will turn out for the best,I really believe that.

72. By Josh on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

wow some of you dissapoint me, But I WILL say it again Matt Leinart is and WILL be the Cards starting QB from 2010 till he retires, Trade for Shaun Hill (what was your train of thought behind that one. All U who are hatin on Leinart R I want you to remember this and when he shuts all u up about other QB’s I wanna see an apology on D.U’s Blog from the fans that hate, and don’t pull the crap (well I was behind him 100%) because it is bullcrap.

73. By Josh on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Arizona does not need to bring in Joey Porter, he is sooo over rated, Larry Foote would be a good addition but the Cards do already have 4 potentially good linebackers in Ali Highsmith,Cody Brown, Will Davis & Reggie Walker so I will not cry if neither is signed. .

74. By James on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Ok Eagle,here’s the deal,I am a fan of the ARIZONA CARDINALS,not necessarily Anquan Boldin.I liked Boldin because he was a Cardinal not the other way around.That goes for every single player that has ever played for the Cardinals.It’s about the Cardinals organization for me,not the players!Player come and go,but the Cardinal organization will always be there(so to speak).There is absolutely no player above the organization,not even Kurt Warner(and I loved Kurt).Also how do you know that they don’t have jerseys ready for Porter and Foote?Like I told 949, you have to have some patience in these situations.Oh and ignorance eagle?Ignorance is not knowing and lacking knowledge.I know that this team has improved drastically over the past 3-4 years.That’s what I know.They have made good decisions on who to keep and who to resign,in my opinion.I consider myself to be a true fan also eagle and I also see this organization having the opportunity to continued success but unlike you I actually see them doing just that.It’s amazing how two people can have two totally different point-of-views on a common issue.I’m EXCITED about what’s happening and what’s going to happen.I choose to be positive.

75. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

just because its not happening today doesnt mean our management is shitty. they are waiting these guys out. Foote knows the Steelers aren’t who they used to be andd Rothlesburger might not even be a free man let alone play in the NFL., lol jk. And Porter, he can go to, the browns or Denver, sure. But, what team from the Playoff picture is looking at them? Just us. They need us as much as we need them. Our management team made Boldin, Dansby, Rolle(who used to be a Cb and is now the highest paid FS) even Fitz. Graves brought us this team. And why, oh why, would eveyrone think we would be getting worse and not better? Seriously.

76. By cactus jeff on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

It seems to me Porter would make the biggest impact, however, there might be a Porter-like player at #26, Tough call for management since Porter wouldn’t make the best mentor. Foote looks too slow and too small.

77. By Red Cards on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

As far as Foote and Porter go.I think once one signs the other will follow . Matts got the Qb position locked up find a cheap back up for now….

78. By Nick Pepe on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Anything?? Even a “what they had for dinner update”?? Does this mean nothing til Monday? I thought Foote would be done by now and Porter a prbable.

79. By darrenurban on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Nick —

The visits are over. There are no more dinners. This is about negotiating, and in most cases, that has gaps in it. If the NFL Network report is right and Porter is asking for $6 M a year and the Cards don’t think that makes sense, Porter is not suddenly going to lower his price. Not yet. This is going to be a process. Same with Foote. He’s going to Pitt because the Cards and Redskins didn’t offer what he wanted (I don’t think Pitt will either). Until a player changes his mind — or a team changes its mind — no one is going to sign.

And maybe, just maybe, I’m trying to get a semi-day off, especially when nothing is happening.

80. By alex u on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

-949

yeah mt.cody would be SICK! beast D, amazing front 3! If Jared Odrick doen’t fall to NO.26 then that would be even more amazing, if not then yeah next up for NT, Cody for sure. And Cody even showed he’s willing to do anything to be succesful by losing weight. Yeah imagine Campbell Cody Dockett as the front 3 and then LB’s Haggins Hayes Foote Porter with secondary as, DRC McFadden A-Dub and KR. I do think Cody will fall to NO.26 theyre sayign in between 25-40 is where he will be drafted (early 2nd). We should consider trading our 2nd and 4th/5th rounder for the rams or lions 2nd get a Trent Williams at LT and then Terrance Cody for NT. GG 49’ers.

81. By alex u on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

it’s not unrealistic at all. Only weakness i see is McFadden like you said, so maybe Toler can step it up, and people would say Hayes is a weakness but i think he’s a damn good for-sure rackler.

this is all a “what if” thing. I think Tuesday or Wednesday will be the day we sign Foote/Porter, but i’m hoping ASAP, because i’m impatient.

82. By Joe-B on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

What do you think is going to happen with Stevie Baggs this season?

83. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Joe-B —

Great question. If Baggs can turn into a contributor on any level, the Cardinals would be thrilled.

84. By JakePlummer716 on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

People, people people! Just chill! Rod Graves and the front office will make this happen but under their terms. Michael Bidwell is committed to having a playoff team here to stay. I’ve been a cards fan all my life and been through the bad times. I also believe after the storm comes the sunshine and guess what? We were just in the super bowl a little over a year ago. The sun has been shining….. Also did you notice how different Michael handles this team from his dad? There is no bow-tie anymore!

85. By Daniel C on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Who do you think the cardinals are going to draft to improve their team 🙂 ?

86. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Daniel C —

Hopefully good players. They always help.

87. By Jeremiah on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

I can feel you on that Darren.

88. By Nick Pepe on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    Thanks for the update. I will work on my patience. Go play some golf.
    Nick

89. By Jeremiah on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

A little off topic but I put together career averages for A Dub and K Rhodes. I understand that numbers don’t show everything, but at least statistically on a yearly average they are pretty even.

Adrien Wilson
    TotTac=76 Sacks=2.3 Stuffs=5.4 FF=1.3 INT=2.5 PDEF=8.1 (note 2 Def TD in his career and 1 BLK)

Kerry Rhodes
    TotTac=83 Sacks=1.8 Stuffs=3.8 FF=1.2 INT=3 PDEF=9.4 (note 0 Def TD in his career)

90. By Words of Wisdom on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know the status of S Matt Ware, but if for whatever reason the Cards can’t reach an agreement with him. Aaron Rouse seems to be a younger version of Adrian Wilson.

91. By fitzis11red on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

lol. Darren you are the man. You do a great job for us fans. I am confident that as soon as you know something we’ll know something. Go Cards!!! I just want to say that no matter what are opinions are we are all still cards fans and we will all have are jerseys on on game days. WE DO THIS TOGETHER lets stay together.

92. By Words of Wisdom on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

TucsonCardsFan

Don’t forget the 6 TD passes Favre dropped on us (w/Jets) and the real reason we don’t have a championship is not because we couldn’t score, convert or execute. It’s because when we had to we couldn’t stop’em.

93. By knighth on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

is there ever going to be a signing?

94. By Josh on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Well put James & DRC1Fan,, some people get all angry and spout out ignorance just because the team isn’t doing what they think should be done, when in fact the team has been building a winner for the past few years so well put guys. well put

95. By Josh on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

I just seen something about Antrel Rolle saying that him and Kenny Phillips will be the best Safety tandem in the NFL, that is such Bullcrap, I am not saying this just because I’m a Cards fan, but Wilson and Rhodes are going to be hell for opposing Wide Receivers and QB’s , Wilson alone is a beast, and bring in Rhodes and there you have a two of the top safetys in the NFL, Rolle and Phillips don’t even make it in the top ten. A.W & K.R are easily top 5.

96. By AZCards2124 on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren- Great work, hopefully that day off will come soon.. My question is about Ali Highsmith- He always looks good in camp and preseason, but seems injury prone. I know we have him under contract for the year, what is your take on his role?

97. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

AzCards2124–

I think Ali needs to step up. I think coaches were disappointed when he did have a chance to play last season — which is why he ended up going back to the practice squad.

98. By Scott H on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

It’s me again,
    Good one! It probably IS a good thing I’m not running this team. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not telling you Shaun Hill is the next Tom Brady. But if you think I’m crazy or an idiot or both, just look at the guys numbers. They’re pretty darn solid. AND he’s had a couple of solid games against the Cardinals along the way. Can you tell me that Anderson, Delhomme, Pennington, etc are any better than this guy??? You could but I’d like to see your evidence…

Brayden,
    Thanks for your support!

Well, now that Hill has been traded to the Lions, let me ask you – would he have been worth the 7th round pick the Niners let him go for? He was certainly worth a pick that usually turns out to useless, anyway. Bottom line – the Lions got him for NOTHING!!! If the Cardinals didn’t at least pick up the phone to find out what the Niners wanted, then shame on them! Because now that I know he was traded for a 7th round pick, I’m really annoyed! Instead, they’d rather give up a 3rd round pick for a guy who hasn’t even thrown a pass in a regular season game. Sorry, but I think Hill for a 7th rounder was a better play than a 3rd rounder for a total question mark. Darren, if you’re still talking to me, do you really think Anderson will end up here?

99. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

I don’t believe in Hill. If the Cards didn’t either, then no, I don’t waste a seventh-round pick on him.

As for Anderson, I don’t know. FightON seems to believe the possible arrival of Whitehurst and Anderson means Leinart is out of here. I guess that would surprise me, for them to dump the one QB who has been in the system.

100. By Scott H on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

ya know, Larry Fitzgerald once said something to the effect that Kurt Warner spoiled him and the other WR’s with his accuracy…well, he spoiled us, too! And maybe that’s why this is so frustrating. As a fan, I WAS truly spoiled by a QB that was so good, it was scary. Now…it’s just all so up in the air. And, really, whether it’s Leinart or Anderson or Whitehurst or whoever, we have no idea what we have at the QB position. That’s hard to come down to after the rock solid certainty that Warner gave us.

101. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

Understood. But to paraphrase Rick Pitino from once upon a time, Kurt Warner is not walking through that door.