The linebacker situation

Posted by Darren Urban on March 12, 2010 – 9:03 am

As the Cardinals continue the free-agent parade at the complex — QB Derek Anderson and LB Paris Lenon are visiting today — I know everyone is waiting for signings (besides Rex Hadnot, which will be official today). Here’s how I handicap the “big two” of Joey Porter and Larry Foote. Foote, I would suspect, would come quicker. To start, he sounds more determined to make the Cardinals his next team (not that Porter didn’t, but I think everyone could tell the difference). Porter is a bit older and knows this is probably his last significant contract, so he’s not going to settle and — unless he’s straight money-whipped, and I don’t see the Cards bidding against themselves — he’s going to look around and see if he can drive up the market.

I’m looking to the side of my screen here and see I have 50 comments to approve from last night, and I am guessing a chunk of them will be browbeating the team to pay Porter whatever it takes to get him in. We all know it doesn’t work like that, nor should it.

Speaking of linebackers, Lenon’s background puts him in the depth/special teams category I would guess.

Tags: , , ,

95 Responses to “The linebacker situation”

1. By 949cardsfan on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Thx for the tidbits Darren, we all appreciate all the details you can possibly provide, keep’em comin’. Does Porter have any other teams to vist at this time? HOw about Foote?

2. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

949 —

Have not heard other visits for Porter. There were rumors the Steelers might want Foote back.

3. By Sue H on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the update, Darren. It has indeed been on everyone’s mind.

I’m hoping we can get both Foote and Porter for a price that’s fair to both sides. I don’t want the team to overpay for either of them, as we all know there are some important guys who need to be addressed this season.

I do think that signing these guys will make a lot of people forget about Rolle and Dansby, and generate a lot of excitement for the upcoming season.

4. By Secret on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

You better get ron wolfley to help with the comments! lol 😉

5. By 98CardsFan on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

You make a great point about not bidding against themselves. But how valuable do you think HE thinks he is to the team?

6. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

98Cards —

My guess is Porter thinks he is still an elite pass rusher, and will try to get paid as such.

7. By K-DUB on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

with us loosing 5 starters maybe headed towards 6(Okeafor) I see if we sign both Porter and Foote that would still leave B-Trains spot open. Would we look to the draft for this spot or free agency will takes it course? The way I see it Rolle > Rhodes ; Warner > Leinart ; Dansby > Foote ; Okeafor > Porter ; Boldin > Breaston ; Berry > ? This is only if we sign Foote and Porter, but I hope you see what I’m getting at.

8. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub —

They have to see who signs in free agency to see what they do in the draft.

9. By Boomerfan on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

While Porter would be a nice addition, I agree we shouldn’t pay. Sign Foote and draft Hughes or Witherspoon.

10. By Jesus on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

I am sure Foote has other visits in other places, man I am at the edge of my seat. would like to see both here iz az. lets get one signed so I can relax a bit before the draft. like a kid waiting on Christmas.

11. By fighting bird on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren who gets the #55 from Reggie Walker if both Porter and Foote end up signing that is if RW wants to give that # up.Will RW sale the # to the highest bidder of the two .

12. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Fighting —

Let’s see if those guys sign first.

13. By larry spurgeon on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren: I don’t believe the bloggers comments on the linebacker situation were made with disregard to the monies involved, GB and NO racked up almost 1000 yards of offense and about 90 points against us primarily due to a lack of pass rush. Their quarterbacks seemingly had unlimited time to find receivers. It was unreasonable to expect our DBs to hold their ground when quarterbacks have that much time to find an open receiver. Porters signing alone would give us the pressure/sacks equal to the combined number our 2 primary outside linebackers achieved during the season. We all realize the posturing which takes place in free agency. But, porter is the best unrestricted free agent available to us who can actually change the aforementioned dynamic. Rookie signings usually take time to develop and a strong veteran pass rusher who would give us the pass rush we need and help in tutoring the rookies. . .

14. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Larry —

No one is arguing the Cards can use Porter. The Cards want him; otherwise they wouldn’t have invited him in for a visit. But these things don’t happen in a vacuum. If he wants, for example (and I have zero idea what he wants) a four-year deal worth $30 million and $12 M guaranteed when he is going to be 33, well, I don’t think that’s smart. Do you?

15. By Roy on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Patience people. This franchise didn’t become good overnight. Management has been making the right moves and I trust that we either will sign the players at the right price or not sign them for pretty good reasons. We are no longer the cheapskates of the league, but we aint stupid either.

16. By Cory on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for your work in keeping us up-to-date.

17. By Chris on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

In Porter’s defense.. he was fairly limited in Miami and still lead the team in sacks. However, I agree that we shouldn’t pay too much of a price for him considering that he may only have a few seasons left in the tank.

Would be nice to have both Foote and Porter. I think the additions this off-season will make our defense a very formidable foe and that will help since our offense will likely be more about ball control and clock management.

18. By Words of Wisdom on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

With Boldin in Baltimore, Urban in Kansas City, and Sean Morey in limbo the receiving corps seems a little thin. Where’s the depth at WR?

In my opinion Blair White or Dezmon Briscoe would fit perfectly. What do you think?

19. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Words —

I think the Cards see guys like Ed Gant and Onrea Jones as having potential. But I wouldn’t rule out drafting a receiver.

20. By Cory on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    Just read an article about UFAs and us being in the final 8, and how that restricts us from signing a given number of UFAs. Am I correct in understanding that if we sign Foote and Porter, we are pretty much done in the UFA market (unless we lose more of our own guys)?

21. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Cory —

It would depend on the deals they sign, but no, it doesn’t mean that necessarily. They probably wouldn’t chase any other big names. But hey still need a QB.

22. By Chris on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Anyone interested in knowing.. and this might be out of date now today, but azcentral quoted as saying.. “As of mid-afternoon Thursday, the Cardinals had not made an offer to either player” regarding Foote and Porter.

23. By Tyman on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Porter had nine sacks last year, and is always one of the top LBs. Pony up cards, we all want to go get our Joey Porter jerseys. We all cant use our boldin or rolle jerseys anymore so we need to go get Joey jerseys, come on and bring the dirt kick to the dessert.

24. By redseafan85 on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I think Larry Foote would be a great addition and the cards should sign him asap, but how do you feel about the secondary? Shouldn’t we try to go for a cornerback in the draft?

25. By CMacyn on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

I was just wondering if Hadnot was more of a run blocker or a pass protector.

26. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

CMacyn —

Not sure on that one.

27. By Peter in Canada on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren – What you say about Porter and Foote makes perfect sense. For Porter it’s probably his last kick at the cat and he has to do what’s best for him in the short term. Despite some of the fan’s comments at times I believe that the management team, having been given contract extensions, will not be panicked into band-aid solutions. They won’t give Porter a contract that’s not in the best interest of the team.
    Keep up the good work. I write in blogs in three different countries, about various sports, and yours is the best by far.

28. By JB on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Appreciate the updates. You are right, we definitely do not want to overpay for Porter due to his age, ego and all the risk that goes with bringing him on. I like what he brings as far as a pass rush, but I’m betting he wants more money than what makes sense to our club. I really do want to see Foote sign soon, do you know if they are negotiating and getting close to a deal? The FO has been pretty busy lately so I can understand the delay. Thanks.

29. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

JB —

Negotiations are going on. Whether they are 24/7, well, that never happens with any team.

30. By Larry on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

CMacyn —he is more of a run blocker, at best an average pass blocker

31. By Tyman on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

I think its smart to give porter a big contract, just look at the guy he looks like hes late 20’s by the shape hes in. We all know footballs a team sport and guys like porter that are in great shape are good for the locker room. He will make everyone else even better, and help the young guys out. Foote is a good guy to pick up as well because hes the same, we want a physical D well these guys are the answer. Sacks and QB pressures equal more picks for DRC and Mcfadden!!! GET IT DONE CARDS.

32. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Tyman —

Are you sure you’re not Porter’s agent?

Seriously, I don’t care how much a guy pops off, teams don’t cut great pass rushers. The Dolphins let him go, so there has to be some due diligence there.

33. By chris from the north on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren- do you think Porter and Foote would both take less money to play together here with Hayes? It sounds like they all want to make a run togher.

34. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Chris —

I think you mean Haggans. And no, no player is giving a discount, not when they each probably are down to their last big contract.

35. By GuyWhoCares on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

If they dont make the right choice (right choice being sigh both of them ) i dont know if i can be a cardinals fan anymore.

36. By Eddie T on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

I read your article a while ago about the cardinals drafting tim tebow, and how you feel they most likely wouldn’t. But would you see Wisenhunt drafting tebow to be a tight end? with our need at that position. And who do you feel the cardinals are looking at for their first pick? Thanks for your hard work in keeping us informed on our team

37. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Eddie —

No, I don’t see the Cards drafting Tebow as a tight end. And in the draft, I see a defensive pick.

38. By Eddie T on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

I also wanted to say thank you for your article on anquan boldin, I’m happy for him but he has been my favorite player since he was drafted. If I wanted to write him like a thank you note would it be best to send it to the ravens camp

39. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Eddie —

Well, he’s not getting any mail here anymore, so …

40. By Darthcard on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Following the cards in free agency is like following a woman shopping. They try it on see if you like it. Then get you excited it’s about to be done and wham i don’t know let me think about it. Lol I’m gonna check back in a couple days this stuffs stressing me out. Darren you really are a warrior getting us this info. Thank you.

41. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Darth —

That’s pretty damn funny.

42. By pat on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

they should move Wells to right tackle. when he played it a few yrs ago, he was the best right tackle we have had since we moved to the desert.

43. By CMacyn on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Larry-

Thanks for that I was just wondering because I think we need stronger run blockers to get the run game over the top. I’m excited this year because i think Hightower, Wells, and Howlings are going to be a pretty solid trio.

44. By jsev on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Do you think the cards would have any interest in Gerard Warren, just released by the Raiders. He would probably cost more than B-Rob, but 5 years younger, and a little beefier. What do you think?

Hopefully the cards can sign Foote and Porter.

45. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

jsev —

I don’t know a lot about Warren, but I am guessing no.

46. By nor cal cards fan on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Tyman- More picks for Mcfadden? You have to get one pick first before you can get “more picks.”

47. By TucsonTim on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Any word about the Whitehurst visit?

48. By Patrick on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Any word on Ware?

49. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Patrick, TucsonTim —

Nothing new on Whitehurst or Ware. Whitehurst may spark a bidding war for compensation between Seattle and Az. We’ll see.

50. By Ctownbeatdown on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Hey guys, i just wanted to say something about the whole “this is the team i wanna play for.” thing. Remember Alan Faneca wanted to follow Russ, and Ken here to the desert, but we never got even close to making a deal. Now if i remember correctly, we were tangled up in a Larry Fitzgerald’s.contract situation. I agree with darren that Foote should be more of a chase, and Porter should be more of a hey-cool-we-got-him-too kinda thing.

51. By Ctownbeatdown on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

On another note. It looks like they both are number 55. Does undrafted rookie free agent from Kent State Reggie Walker have an unexpected pay day coming. If both were signed, would they flip for it? Battle to the death?

52. By CMacyn on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

what up with Whitehurst?

53. By PhoenixPhlash on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Will the Cards receive compensatory draft picks for losing Rolle and Dansby? If so, wouldn’t those picks come into play for the 2011 draft? What type of draft picks would you speculate the Cards would get?

54. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

PhoenixPhlash —

It would be the 2011 draft. Way too early to guesstimate what it would be. And Rolle won’t count. He was cut — he wasn’t a free agent technically.

55. By QB ???? on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Come on with something already… Its killing me – is anderson signing or what?? and what about marc bulger?? and what about foote and porter – any news yet???

56. By Jesus on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

waiting on the Foote is a cardinal post,

57. By Ann M. Adam on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Well, Haggans, Porter & Foote were very instrumental in getting “one for the thumb.” Sure would give Cardinals extra a quick start push.

58. By jeff on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Darren.

I understand what you mean about porter but what about foote.

59. By jeff on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Dude this is so stressull gosh man lol. I check the page every two seconds

60. By Kent on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

One thing that worries me is a report of a fight between Porter and new FS Kerry Rhodes during a Phins/Jets game last season. Chemistry and ego is a huge thing in football, having a team playing as a unit is huge…

As was the motto, “We do this together”

If Rhodes and joey can get along then fine, if not…Take Kerry and let Joey walk.

61. By Eazy E on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Hopefully DA doesn’t leave today’s visit without being a cardinal. Paris Lenon would be great depth also since he has starting experience and great on special teams. We have HUGE holes at ILB and OLB that Foote and Porter would fill. We need both as cardinals to be honest. I’d maybe do a little ”overpaying” for both if that’s what it takes because Porter is an elite OLB and Foote is pretty good too. Like the Rex Hadnot signing because he will compete for a starting job at both LG and RG, so Reggie and Deuce better be on it, especially Reggie because he didnt have as good a year. Hadnot could start at either LG or RG. Eason is another one i hope we get because of depth and he has experience at playing NT in the 3-4. I also heard this morning on ESPN First Take that the eagles may be shopping Sheldon Brown because of their CB depth for a 3. We got 2 3’s, why not spend one on a proven CB, only 30 and coming off an excellent season with 51 tackles, 5 INT including a 83 yd pick six, FF, and 17 Pass Deflections. Lastly, Whitehurst would be my 2nd option after DA because of the 3rd round pick. Don’t mind giving it up but hopefully we can get Derek Anderson but we’ll have 3 QBs on our roster anyways, so it might be DA and Whitehurst.

62. By John on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren, you probally saw Jason La Canfora of NFL network say that both the Cards and Seahags are interested in Whitehurst. Above, you say there could be a bidding war. I know Whitehurst was projected to be higher than a third coming out of college and is talented. (whether he can play NFL football is another story)

So, how interested are the Cards ? Is he the first choice? With D.A. in, its interesting he is reporting the cards still very interested in whitehurst.

63. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

John —

I don’t know the interest level. I can see a scenario where the Cards want both guys. We’ll have to see.

64. By james on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

i totally agree with eazy e, we really need another cb brown would be a great pickup! if we got him we would have the best staring secondary in the nfl.

65. By larry spurgeon on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

I don’t disagree with you Darren. The more depth and starters we sign in free agency, the more we draft BPA instead for need. Given that there are few quality free agents left, some are going to get paid more than they are actually worth in a non-cap year. This includes both porter and foote. If these players want to break the bank because it will be there last contract, then we need to look elsewhere. The steelers are not going to overpay for these guys, they never do. Don’t mind a little overpay because of need and our desire to play in SB45. Thanks for your comments

66. By Chris on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

What are the chances the Cards would offer a contract to Foote and Porter and include a performance bonus that would say if you meet ‘X’ amount of tackles or sacks and tackles for Porter, then you receive ‘Y’ amount of money. Are contracts like that even allowed or typical in the NFL?

67. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Chris —

You can offer such performances bonuses. The problem with those, however, is that they bring the coaches and their jobs into play. Suddenly, guys are ticked they are held out of, for instance, a third-and-long situation because that’s a chance to get a sack and then there’s a worry, ‘Is the team trying to cost me money?’ It’s a slippery slope.

68. By gordo on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

i think eazy e has a point.. and read my mind.. let go of mcmuffin PLZ!

69. By Andy Miller on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

we gotta get foote and porter they all ready know half the team and coaches 2 years ago porter had 17.5 sacks we need someone like him and foote is a bad ass

70. By CardinalSwagger on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

I am just waiting for that article that get’s your heart beating and anxious… “Foote and Porter Cardinals”.

71. By gordo on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

just read that foote is on his way too pitts to sign with the steelers.. cmon cards we cxant lose these guys at least get porter!

72. By Foote ?? on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Unfortunately i live in pittsburgh,
    just got home and the news is talking about Foote being a steeler again as early as monday, what up with that. after he expressed how much he wanted to be a cardinal. So im guessing the cardinals are going to pass on him?

73. By Jesus on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

ok thats it I have a hamstrig injury, going to sit out the rest of the day.

74. By JB on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Let’s hope he is just floating that out there as incentive for the Cards to get a deal done before Monday…. At least that’s what I hope. aaarrrrggghhh

75. By VoiceofReason on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

C’mon, Darren — what’s the status on Foote and Porter?

76. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Voice —

Why would I not say something if something were going on?

77. By CardinalSwagger on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Are you hinting that Foote is bluffing?

78. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

CardinalSwagger —

I’m not hinting he is bluffing. What I am saying is, just because he is visiting Pittsburgh it doesn’t mean he can’t come here.

79. By CardinalSwagger on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Ahh… Thanks.

Hoping for some great news, Darren.

80. By MoJo on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Are Foote and Porter still in Phoenix?

81. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

MoJo —

82. By azcards65 on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren why is Vick not in any talk for the QB situation is there something there im not seeing cause i think with what were paying some players vick wouldnt be to much a pocket breaker.

83. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

azcards65 —

At this point, I’m giving up on explaining the Vick thing, because no one is listening.

84. By VoiceofReason on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

So the status is that there has been no movement, no offers, no effort of any kind to sign anybody but three backup linemen, right (Hadnot, Bridges — who I like, and Claxton), one of which likely won’t make the club?

Unfortunately, that’s the conclusion the fans will make unless they hear, at the very least, that “offers have been made” or “discussions are ongoing.”

But if you have nothing to report, you have nothing to report.

85. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Voice —

Just because no one is saying “offers have been made” doesn’t mean no offers have been made. It may just mean neither side is letting that be known.

86. By Chris on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Might be bad news for us.

87. By Scott H on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

I think people need to just forget Michael Vick and move on. I’m sincerely hoping the Cardinals have no interest in him at all. It looks like no one else is all that interetsed, either, and that should tell you something. I’m out here in Eagles country and most of their fans and media are STILL wondering why he was ever here in the first place. BTW, also be aware that the Eagles just picked up an option on Vick and paid 1.5 million to do so. I don’t think it’s what they wanted to do but they’re stuck with a guy they really don’t even want! Forget Vick. Move on.

With all of the other high profile losses, the loss of Urban hasn’t really been noticed that much. But I would echo the concerns of some for the depth situation at WR. I would have liked to see Urban stick around. We’re gonna miss him even more if Doucet continues to have imjuries or just doesn’t pan out. Really, think about it – he had that great game against Green Bay in the playoffs…there’s not much else on his resume at this point.

If they are serious about Foote, I wish they would just get the guy signed already! The departures were a lot quicker than the arrivals have been! If we only get one of these guys, I hope it’s Foote. But I’d be happy to see Porter on board as well.

88. By VoiceofReason on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

True enough. Actually, the article you just posted was exactly what I was looking for.

89. By redseafan85 on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren—
    Do you know if signing or drafting some secondary help is high on the cards’ priority list? If they draft one, about how high of a pick would they use?

90. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

redsea —

Well, they traded for Rhodes. I wouldn’t be surprised if they looked in the draft.

91. By Cards Fan on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

I have a couple comments about this whole linebacker situation:

One, obviously, I’m like everyone else and want to see these guys sign with the Cards. But, I only want it done at the right price. I mean Foote is a guy who the Steelers want as a backup, is he really worth the money he is probably asking? With Porter, not many other teams are looking at him, so is he worth the price he is probably asking? If either of these guys were worth the money or the “star” players that everyone is acting like then they would already be gone…. Look at the Giants who are hurting for linebackers, especially in the middle and they aren’t going after Foote. The Redskins let Foote get out of DC. Patience is the key in the second wave of free agents because most of these guys think they should have been in the first wave. I just think everyone is getting all worked up for a starter/backup middle linebacker and a pass rusher who the only played in situations last year. I think it’s widely assumed that the Steelers know linebackers and they let these guys go for a reason a couple years ago. With that said, I still think they could help, but they aren’t the saviors. The saviors have to come from within the team, meaning the stars (Dockett, Wilson, DRC) are going to have to produce more.

Darren-
    My second point is, have fun explaining a million times what happened if the Cards don’t sign these two guys. And have fun trying to explain that the Cards aren’t crazy for breaking the bank on these guys. Just cut and paste man.

92. By Dave Nipe on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

Need ouarterback, a steal Whitehurst from SD> A steal.

93. By fighting bird on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

I see your lips moving but cant here you.DRC and Wilson are not linebackers and just how much more do they need produce.I think if we cant get Porter or Foote oh well get someone else, that means possibly the draft.I think whiz and Graves have an ace in the hole or they would have grabbed one or both of those guys.Coach whisenhunt is good at what he does so I think we all should calm down and wait before we hang the cards out to dry.Remember” WE DO THIS TOGETHER” !!!!!!!

94. By Jon on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Is there any possible chance the Cardinals could trade for James Laurinaitis from the Rams? Do you think he would fit well on the Cardinals Defense?

95. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Jon —

No, for many obvious reasons.