Anderson comes in as No. 2

Posted by Darren Urban on March 17, 2010 – 2:13 pm

Quarterback Derek Anderson just was on his conference call with the media and, asked about the depth chart, Anderson said it was “understood” he was coming in as the No. 2 quarterback but that he would compete, that he will “push Matt.” Coach Ken Whisenhunt will speak in a bit and I am guessing he will say the same sorts of things, which just underscores my belief — it’s Leinart’s job to lose.

UPDATE: Here was the most telling quote of all from Whisenhunt: “Matt has earned the right to be ‘The Guy.’ ”

Anderson did say he was looking forward to a fresh start after leaving Cleveland. No surprise there. He acknowledged the last two years hadn’t been good for either himself or his team. “I’m excited about a new opportunity.”

Tags: , ,

22 Responses to “Anderson comes in as No. 2”

1. By Feather on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Now thats the kinda reporting I am talking about Darren. Great Job man, That was an instant update, gotta love it!!!!! Leinart is my guy has been since we drafted him.

2. By Feather on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

By the way I hate Florio, I you ever get a chance meeting him, please do the Red “C” a favor and check him into the smackdown hotel. Cross streets are know your role Blvd. And Jaboronie Dr.

3. By Alex G on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Now that the qb situation is settled darren, how bout u get into graves ear about bringing shawne merriman in for our 1st and Ravens 3rd pick this year?

4. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Alex G —

Did you watch the same Merriman I did last year?

5. By Brandon on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Good move i’m glad we were able to pick him up. In case something happens to Leinart i feel he can step in and be decent for us. That 07 season wasn’t a fluke he just needs a team who believes in him and plays to his strengths.

6. By Nick Pepe on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I am happy that he signed. I think it is good move for both player and team. It will be interesting to see how Matt responds, and no Darren I will not ask for a Porter update, but feel free to post one. Happy St. Patricks day to all!

7. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Nick —

Whiz addressed Porter, kind of.

8. By Joe-B on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I like that quote from Whiz.

9. By Brian R. on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Welcome to the team D. Anderson!!!

10. By Ven aka Ninjamonkey on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

are 1st and our 3rd for Merriman… LoL ok if the Front office did that then I may actually be up in arms with the rest of these folks that are overreacting to every little thing that happens in the offseason. only player I would give our first up for is Gaither from the ravens and I would still want to keep both of our 3rd round picks on top of it.

11. By cavs#11 on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

good luck with DA, Cardinals fans…that’s all I have to say…

12. By Jeremiah on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

While on the LB subject, what about Kirk Morrison(3rd rnd tender). I understand hes a 4-3 guy. What is the likelihood that a player like him could be successful in a 3-4 defense?

13. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Jeremiah —

When I asked about Morrison specifically earlier this month, Graves said that was not a direction in which they were looking.

14. By Eric on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Because of the beating he took in Clev. the last 2 years, I forgot how young DA is. Good to have him aboard (and cheaper than Whitehurst got from Seattle). I bet he is excited to get to throw some passes to Fitz, Breaston and Early when camp starts.

15. By Red Cards on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Now thats what iam talking about ,Go Matt Leinart !!!!

16. By Scott H on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Aside from the fact that I’ve had a Matt Leinart jersey for years that I haven’t worn very much, I am glad to see him named starter going into the season. I guess if all is going well for the team, we won’t get to see much of Anderson…but at least we know we have a guy who has shown the ability to be a dynamic QB in the NFL. If he thought it was good to have Braylon Edwards, just wait to see how cool it is to have Larry Fitzgerald!

17. By Eazy E on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Leinart will definitely not be handed the job and he shouldn’t have it handed to him, DA and leinart will be a open competition may the best man win.

18. By FightON on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

The job is Matt’s to lose…no one is guaranteed playing time in football, especially stariting jobs. I don’t think he is going to give it up without a battle, and DA has a chance to play with actual NFL WRs.

19. By Ruben R on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

whats up with this love for morrison???

20. By Mr. Know It All on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

I’m looking forward to see how Matt treats Derek. Hall of Famer Kurt used his on the field production as a hammer and pummeled poor Matt into oblivion. It was probably just good old fashioned competition but there was bad blood between Kurt and Matt no doubt. Remember it was Coach Green who drafted Matt to be the Franchise QB and when Kurt took over as QB he never really looked back. All Matt could do is watch and collect a nice pay check. The money already paid to Matt is why he will be the starter at QB 2010. Coach Whiz Steelers drafted Ben and he has 2 Super Bowl Rings. The Cards could find a QB in the draft to be the future heir but Matt is hungry and that makes him prime for a break out season. Go Cards!!!!

21. By Ctownbeatdown on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

the cards really know how to keep a pre season game exciting

22. By erolemodel on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

As a Steelers fan who lives in North East Ohio, I got to see a lot of D.A., but unlike the Cleveland faithfull, I saw a completely different player then their mentally handicapped fans. D.A. has pinpoint accuracy, especially with the long ball, unfortunately for him, he didn’t have anyone to throw the rock to. The fans here constantly complain about D.A. throwing the ball too hard, but come on ladies, this is the NFL, not backyard ball with your kids. If the ball isn’t thrown hard and fast, it’s going to be picked off. Arizona is the perfect fit for him, since Kurt Warner had a cannon for an arm too, especially in short passes. Anyone who doubts how hard he throws the ball needs to look at Tory Holts fingers once, can you say OUCH! Now D.A. has Larry Fitz-G-Z, Steve Get yer Breat-On & Early Ducett to throw the ball to??? WOW!!! I wrote the Cards off as an NFC hopefull when K-Dubb retired, but now I have them in my top 3(2 if Bret retires). I was hoping D.A. would land in Pittsburgh, given the Big Ben issues, but I’m happy to see he’s on a team that will let him make these skid marked pumpkin head lovers in Cleveland eat their words and see what he’s really about!!!
    Great Signing, you found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and don’t even know it yet!!!

“Your RoleModel” Ric Lieb