Deciphering Dockett

Posted by Darren Urban on March 17, 2010 – 5:52 pm

So, in the middle of quarterbackpalooza today for the Cardinals, the great tweeter Darnell Dockett decided to drop this one:

“I got some Great news #BIRDGANG can’t tell yall yet! But when and if it happens I will celebrate at the highest point EVER! 49ers Who? Lol”

The Cards’ Pro Bowl defensive tackle gets credit for going cryptic. Of course, the first thing many will think is that Dockett possibly could be getting a contract extension. I don’t think that’s likely, not now, not when the Cards have been busy getting in Derek Anderson and talking with Joey Porter. The first thing I thought of was Porter — Dockett has made clear he wants the Cards to sign Porter, and maybe he heard something everyone else has yet to hear (although with his comment “celebrate at the highest point EVER” would make sense with a new contract but with Joey Porter? I know he wants other stars for defense, but ….)

It of course could be something else entirely. Maybe Gatorade has hired him to replace Tiger as their spokesman.

Last year Dockett publicized a huge announcement on Twitter. It turned out to be somewhat important but devoid of real news; Dockett just said he wasn’t going to be grumpy about his contract situation (except, of course, he had a hamstring injury at mandatory minicamp and didn’t come to any of the voluntary work, so take it for what it was worth). I am hoping whatever Dockett is referring to comes to fruition, just so we know. I’ll say this: Dockett knows how to hold people’s attention. Of course, that’s not news either.

Tags: , ,

67 Responses to “Deciphering Dockett”

1. By spitfire772 on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I sincerely hope this is his way of indicating that we’ll sign Joey Porter soon. Either that or his contract extension. Dockett would know better than any of us, so, like you said, we can only hope what he’s referring to comes to fruition.

2. By spitfire772 on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

By the way, is anybody else laughing at the Seahawks for what they gave up for Whitehurst? They esentially gave up their 2010 2nd round pick (#40) and 2011 3rd pick for Whitehurst and the Chargers 2010 2nd round pick (#60). Plus they’re paying him $5 mil a year for the next 2 years. All for a guy who’s never thrown a pass in the NFL, was behind BILLY VOLEK on the depth chart, and had fairly mediocre stats in college. I understand he may have skills, but there’s nothing he’s done in the NFL to base that assumption on. I’d take Derek Anderson any day, who at least has shown flashes of talent. Leinart will be the starter, but I’m more comfortable with Anderson as the backup.

3. By Scott H on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

How can ya not love Double D??? He certainly wears his heart on his sleeve, doesn’t he? Nuthin’ wrong with that! And if there is something going down that has him ready to celebrate at the highest level ever, then bring it on…’cause we sure ain’t had a whole lot to celebrate this off-season. We’re ready to celebrate with you, big guy!

4. By vsancards on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Interesting. I can’t imagine what else would get 9-0 so excited. Can’t wait to find out.

5. By alex u on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

lol yeah when i saw that on twitter ii thought of porter first thing

6. By Derek on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I wonder if it is a new signing that the coaches and Dockett know about because of the line “49ers who?”.

Anyway, I know people have beat this horse to death and you are probably tired of hearing this but,

If Tebow goes undrafted (which probably won’t happen but hey, it might), would AZ look at picking him up? I read your story on how they were looking at either a QB in the draft or signing an undrafted one, and I’m pretty sure they won’t draft him, but I was just curious if the interest was there or they want nothing to do with him. Do you know?

7. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Derek —

I do not expect the Cards to draft Tebow. But I guess you never know.

8. By BDMag on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Not since Barkley has there been an athlete like Dockett in AZ. Of course Chuck was one of the greatest ever in his sport, but 9-0 is no certainly no slouch. He needs to be kept in this organization for several reasons. His outspokenness may not be his most valuable quality, but the swagger and attitude he brings to the team is immeasurable. He is also far and away our best player on the Defensive front seven. Here’s hoping whatever he’s referring to is something that helps keep him in Red for a long time to come.

9. By fitzis11red on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Hmmm. Darnell Dockett!! Love him I hope it IS about Porter and not some selfish kind of play on his part. Or HIS new contract would be fantastic!!! Maybe he’s having a baby. lol. You know he deserves to be paid. I hope we are the team to do it.

10. By Nick Pepe on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

He’s got mine. I was ready to hit the sack (pardon the pun) too. Now I will have to keep my all contact hand held device on all night.

11. By gordo on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

darren- what are the chances the csrds use one of ther picks to get a RFA?..

thanks…

12. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Gordo —

Not sure. Depends on who they might look at.

13. By fitzis11red on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

If it was about Porter well, he hasn’t even talked to to the ‘skins yet. Wouldn’t he want to see what they were going to offer first? If anything? Before he was goign to let anyone know where he might sign? Peculiar.

14. By Steve on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I’m guessing it’s either Porter being signed, or Dockett has had his contract extended.

15. By Wampag on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

hey D just read this on PFT and am confused, and yes Neil misses some clutch kicks but has Whiz soured on him?

PFT: Neil Rackers, an unrestricted free agent, isn’t expected to return.

Feely, 33, also has played for the Falcons, Giant, and Dolphins.

16. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

I think missing key kicks do not help a kicker.

17. By Chris on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Maybe he is talking about Jay Feely coming to town? http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/17/feely-will-visit-the-cardinals/

I’m kidding of course.

18. By Wampag on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

D I just heard unconfirmed reports from a friend, same friend that told me Vick was an eagle 24 hours b4 it happend so I kind of trust him, Seattle is trading whitehurst and Patrick Kerney for leinhert “the guy” and a pick I am then told and this gets crazier that pick goes to the eagles not sure if target is mcnabb or kolb…tell me thats crazy? please

GO CARDS

19. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

Do I even need to respond to this? Comon now.

20. By Eazy E on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Hope the news is joey porter is a cardinal or our 3rd for morrison and morrison is a cardinal. Maybe a fat new contract that makes him the highest paid d linemen or one of the highest paid. Don’t tease nine-o.

21. By Tyler on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Hahaha nice Darren, whether it is an extension for #90 or Porter coming in, it should be good news for the Cards. Maybe we picked up someone that was completely not expected!

22. By Hammer on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Wam, I maybe wrong but I dont think we trade Matt to a div. rival. Who knows though, crazier things have happened.

23. By Tyler on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

By the way BDMAG,

Wow, I mean I love Dockett and all, but there are a few Cards and for that matter other AZ sports athletes I can think of that have done a bit more for their teams since Barkley… A-Dub? Fitz? And as for other sports… Steve Nash? Randy Johnson or Gonzo (2001 World Series)… Those names could suffice, I rest my case.

24. By Paul on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Wampag, I think that Whiz may have been miffed that Neil informed Cards that his groin injury was healed late in the season and then he clearly went out and favored that injury in the Packer playoff game where he missed the late FG. Most fans forgot about that after the Dansby turnover that won the game. Whiz didn’t forget.

25. By skeletor on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

darren- i heard Neil Rackers got an offer from the TEXANS and he is not coming back…….is that true?

26. By Tyman on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

It would be awsome to get porter, I think id be the first to be ordering a joey porter jersey if it happens. All the cards fans can be like Joooooeeeeeyyyyy!!!!! that would be sweet. It would also be cool to see dockett get an extention. Dockett is are best player on D so I think it would be fitting to see hem wrapped up long term. Hope the news is good, cant wait.

27. By Sittin in the Sun at Sun Devil Stadium on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Interesting…. If the Cards get Joey Porter, then they should go get Levi Jones

28. By AG on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I’m scared now……..hopefully, we traded a 3rd rounder for Morrison, signed Joey Porter, and DDock got a new contract that secures him for the rest of his career.

29. By Brian R. on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

He said “49ers who? Lol”.. Boys and girls… I think were gonna get Porter…

30. By Eric on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I thinks he is jacked up over Jay Feely coming in for a visit.

31. By Chris on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Maybe its related to their GM resigning?

32. By Jerrytown on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I’m really excited to see what this good news is and I hope something happens tomorrow! In an unrelated note, I’m happy that we signed Derek Anderson today. However, because he is a young qb who had a great year in ’07 I have this horrible feeling that the first time Leinart has a bad game fans will be calling for him to be benched in favor of Anderson. Unless he reels of a few bad games in a row I think you have to let him play a full season before anyone can truly judge him. The same thing happened to Warner last year when he had one bad game, I heard fans all around me at the stadium calling for Leinart. It’s pretty rediculous if you ask me. Everyone has a bad game from time to time and I think we as cards fans need to support our qb after a rough day, not call for his head. So please fellow cards fans, let’s have a little patience and let Matty do his thing and gain some confidence!

33. By Dan on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I hope its not Porter, I would rather draft a young stud like Everson Griffen/Brandon Graham/Derrick Morgan….yeah, know they are not a 3-4 players….big deal. DE/OLB are basically the same thing depending on the size.

34. By Dan on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I just think Porter has a big mouth and can do without his thug attitude, just don’t like him.

35. By Sittin in the Sun at Sun Devil Stadium on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I”m confused with the Rackers issue? Weren’t the Cards just working on re-signing him? And now Feely? Huh?

36. By darrenurban on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Sittin —

Graves said they were talking with Rackers. Who knows where those talks went?

37. By Pay Dockett! on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

man, if he gets a beefy contract it will be a good day 😀

38. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I I am telling you guys. Brian Urlacher. just wanna b the one who said it first

39. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

ok. heres a list of possible MLB’s and some OLB’s and other RFA we coudl use. not to say they are possible. but would be nice.

Jeremiah Trotter (phi) mlb
    Antonio Pierce (nyg) mlb
    Shawne Merriman (sd) olb
    Derrick Johnson (kc) mlb .. unproven but good against the pass
    Brandon Johnson (cin) olb.. again unproven, but 6’5 and a beast.
    Elvis Dumervil (den) olb
    Akin Ayodele (mia) ilb
    Dre Bly (sf) cb
    Lito Sheppard (nyj) cb
    Fred Smoot (wsh) cb
    Ty Law (den) cb
    Fabian Washington (bal) cb
    Jevon Kearse (ten) de
    Alge Crumpler (ten) te
    LJ Smith (bal) te

a lot of those guys are ufa’s . so. even if we dont sign porter or whoever else. its not like there arent plenty of good players to sign.

40. By Ctownbeatdown on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Dan, you can sign porter and still draft all those kids. It’s not going to be a five year deal. And about his tude, the guy is a linebacker.

41. By lemar on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

more def that’s all we need

42. By George on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Graves and Bidwill need to start spending money, we must have saved so much money by not re-signing Dansby, Rolle ,and Boldin

43. By Daniel C on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Do you think they are going to extend the contract with Darnell dockett?

44. By darrenurban on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Daniel C —

Now? I’m not so sure of that. At some point, though, yes.

45. By Javy on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Hey darren do you think that Joey Porter would be alot of help for our Cardinals?? Do you think he can still get sighned by Graves??? Thankyou

46. By darrenurban on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Javy —

I think Porter remains an option. I do think he’d be a help, not only on the field but with the fan base who are clamoring for a “name” sign. But I agree with what Whisenhunt said yesterday, that the Cards don’t have to have him.

47. By roland on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

The cards don’t have to have Porter but I think he would be great for our younger linebackers to learn from. You cant have to many good players with a mix of younger and older players. Go Cards

48. By Javy on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

I would Like to know what your opinion might be why do you think Darnell is talking about??? Do you think he might be talking about how excited he would be if we sighn Porter??? Hey and there is even some good lb’s still avaliable!! Like Antonio Pierce or even Jason Taylor!! Do you believe the Cards might have a chat with them??? Thankyou for your time

GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!

49. By Steve on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Do You have any clue what dockett is refering to? Anyone coming in for visits that you know of?

50. By darrenurban on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Steve —

If I knew, I wouldn’t have wondered what he meant. As for visits, Feely is the onely one I have heard about.

51. By chris freeman on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

this can mean…. Derek Anderson and hadnot ( both from Cleveland)

Calvin pace possibly coming back ( cut from bears)

or it can be the Derek Anderson signing , but he just posted the twit <—- twits, late.

i cant see us signing porter…. i just does'nt seem right bringing in someone like porter at age 32 when alot of rookies and backups stepd up the last two years……..

52. By Tbru on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Calvin pace possibly coming back ( cut from bears)

huh?

53. By Javy on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Well Darren The Cards really should be spending some money since we lost anquan boldin, karlos damsby and alson antrell role so we should have some money left don’t you think that the cardinals should be sighning some good players like joey porter or antonio pierce or even jason taylor instead of sighning players like Paris lenon Just like CHICAGO did??? thankyou

GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!

54. By darrenurban on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Javy —

The Redskins have shown spending big money doesn’t necessarily equal big wins. In fact, look at the better teams — Patriots, Colts, for instance — and they rarely go crazy in free agency. Porter is still on the radar. But Pierce has been hurt. Taylor is at the end. If they were so good, many teams would be lining up to sign them. Teams are not. That should tell you something about the situation.

55. By Thomas77 on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Not quite sure what this means, but Dockett just tweeted this 36 minutes ago; “Having the best MTG ever!!”

I guess it depends on what he means by MTG. If he’s means “meeting” then it makes highly wonder who he is meeting with, and what it’s about.

I don’t know Darren’s, could it be a new contract?

56. By darrenurban on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Thomas77 —

It’s not a new contract.

57. By Thomas77 on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Forgive the typos. My Droid loves to translate words and add punctuation…. grrrrrr

58. By Thomas77 on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

I think the guy loves the attention and speculation all this causes….

59. By darrenurban on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Thomas77 —

You think?

60. By Chris Freeman on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Signing lenon was a good idea not only for the books but to keep competition within the linebacker depth. You know what they say … if your not a good player youd make a great coach. money is being spent where it needs too, fixing the depth to help bring up our future stars ( herman johnson, cody brown, stevie baggs, greg toler, ) ….. get big name play without big name money

61. By Chris Freeman on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

MTG – Magic The Gathering … could be playing the best game he had

62. By darrenurban on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Chris (and everyone) —

I’m telling you, he’s meeting with Gatorade ….

(OK, I guess I better make sure everyone knows I am joking, even though it would seem obvious to me).

63. By Chris Freeman on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

did i say calvin pace … orlando pace …. he he

64. By Chris Freeman on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

yeah calvin pace played for cardinals in 03 i think # 79

65. By Thomas77 on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Alright Darren, I have to disagree with you. One of Dockett’s latest Tweets is an abosolute confirmation that he got a new contract!

“Yall like my new kicks?, I remeber back in the day we couldn’t afford jordans damn time has changed!” http://twitpic.com/19lu0d http://twitter.com/ddockett

Cause we all know he wouldn’t have been able to afford them bad boy’s on his previous contract! ;o)

66. By darrenurban on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Thomas77 —

What I enjoy is when Darnell — and he’s done this a couple of times — says he’s willing to take paycuts for this guy or that guy to sign. No way.

67. By roland on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Thank you bidwells for signing porter. He will get to the quarterback and kick some Ass Go Cards

The birdgang will rise with the red sea