Looks like Anderson UPDATE

Posted by Darren Urban on March 17, 2010 – 9:37 am

UPDATE: Still waiting on the official stamp, but Anderson-to-Arizona is enough of a done deal that the terms are being reported: $7.25 million over two years, with $3.25 million in guarantees. In short, Anderson can easily be the backup, and there are build-ins, I am sure, if he starts and plays well. I will keep repeating this though — I will be stunned if Matt Leinart is anything but first-string in training camp. He certainly can’t afford to melt down, though.

Nothing is officially official yet, but it looks like Derek Anderson is the quarterback the Cards have brought in to join Matt Leinart. (Hat tip to Paul Calvisi, who ferreted it out first). No surprise. That was the vibe I was getting. I think when it got down to it the Cardinals wanted to make sure they had a QB rather than risk going after restricted free agent Charlie Whitehurst and then waiting that seven days for the Chargers to make a decision — possibly losing Anderson and then having the Chargers simply match. Then the Cards would get no QB. Since the Seahawks and Cards were each talking to both Anderson and Whitehurst, that was a possibility because getting Whitehurst to sign an offer sheet would likely push the Seahawks to bear down on Anderson.

That’s all speculation, of course. What isn’t is that Anderson was linked to the Cards since the day he was released in Cleveland, and that he took a visit last week. Anderson knows strength and conditioning coach John Lott, and his Oregon background meshes well with quarterbacks coach Chris Miller, who made Oregon his home after playing there in college. I will repeat what I have said all along, I still see Leinart as the starter as long as he doesn’t struggle mightily.

Tags: ,

71 Responses to “Looks like Anderson UPDATE”

1. By kauaicardsfan on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Cool, At least they still have their 3rd pick, they can pick up a back QB there and concentrate on DL and LB on the first 2 picks.
    Thanks Darren!

2. By KG on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I love how during the offseason we are so focused on the progression of free agency. However has there been any news, Darren, on how Kurt Warner is enjoying the offseason so far as a retired vet?

3. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

KG —

I like Kurt, but I have enough to do covering this team that I am not sure I’m going to be paying much attention to him.

4. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I am stoked about this. I love Lienhart and I believe he is going to come into his own this year, maybe not quite as good as we all hope yet, but he will be. I see Matt eventually going to the hall of fame and taking his place among the next round of star starting QB’s in the NFL. That being said, I am glad to see the Cardinals persue a solid replacement. Someone who could take the starting job if Matt doesn’t take it seriously enough(which I doubt would happen). Derek would also be able to learn a lot and grow with our coaches so that if Matt goes down we have a solid player to step in and take over. I like it.

5. By Tony R. on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

good choice if the deal goes threw great job cards!!

6. By Cleveland Beau on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Suckers!

D.A. is a complete bum. I hope for your sake Leinart is the real deal. If not, get ready to see:

a.) 120 mph fastballs to receivers 10 yards away
    b.) 15 yard passes falling about 5 yards in front of the receiver and skipping off the ground
    c.) footballs being thrown into triple coverage regularly.
    d.) Simple out routes being completely missed.

I can’t believe anyone signed this guy to anything more than practice squad fodder.

7. By Words of Wisdom on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Do you know what round the Cards compensatory pick is going to be in?

8. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Words —

No. Compensatory picks will be announced next week.

9. By CMacyn on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Sweet now we have some competitive spirit in the locker room great job front office!!.

10. By KG on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Makes sense. Now I wonder if Fitz will extend his offer to DA to train in Minnesota with the greats as well…lol

11. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Alright lets get Anderson signed and on to the next thing. lol, I know our management has been focused on getting this QB situation worked out. On Bidwill, on Graves, on Whiz and on Grim let’s get this Cardinals christmas slay filled with some more goodies for your fans!!! HAHAHA.

DARREN(the gracious host of this blog)
    how much and for how long is Andersons contract? any idea on either of those yet? How many more FA are we allowed to pink up now>? any ideas on the new main focus of management? sorry, I knoq I give no time from one thing to the next. but, this is exciting.

12. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

DRC —

No details on Anderson yet. I am guessing the rules of 8 won’t be affected, meaning FA is still pretty open. I don’t think, aside from Porter, the Cards will be doing any significant mining of the FA market anyway — unless they change their mind and chase some RFA.

13. By Richard- on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Great Move. Now we don’t have to give up a 3rd round pick for a QB that has never thrown an NFL pass. We also get a good QB who was an all pro a few years ago. We can now concentrate on LB and O line in the draft. Nice signing!!

14. By alex u on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Now we can focus mroe on defense in free agency, get that 3rd QB in the draft, and i mean like 6th or 7th round. Leinart and Anderson are young. I’m going to keep mentioning Akin Ayodele until he’s off the market because he would be a nice fit into our defense and definitally a good replacement for Dansby, i know the 49’ers visited with him Monday, and i definitally don’t want the niners to get him, he should be tackling Gore not Beanie. I know Monty is still an option but, i want a proven starting ILB like Akin. Anyway thanks Darren for the update, and nice job beating Adam Shefter to the Anderson news, two thumbs up for that.

15. By Patrick on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Anderson was very good for an extended stint as a starter. He struggled when the team did. Like ML, got to give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he brings. Strong arm we know. Clevelend fans posting here are poison.

16. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I just saw the jets signed FB Tony RIchardson. That ticks me off. I know we are looking for a solid FB and there he was. We didnt even try. Granted the guy is like 36 years old. but, hell man. We lost enough players I dont see why we cant throw at least 2 or 3 old vets a 1 year deal to help our team win the division this next year. I’m not saying do what the Raiders did and blow our load for the next 10 years on a one year superbowl trip, but hell. I know htere are some old vets itching to play and we need some leadership through this next year of building our team.

17. By jsev on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Has Matt Ware resigned yet? I see stuff on ESPN.com and NFL.com showing that he has. I haven’t seen anything official from anyone local.

18. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

jsev –

Ware has never been announced as re-signed.

19. By alex u on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Dan Kreider is a beast, so i don’t agree with you at all, The Cards will definitally re- sign him, though the way the off-seaosn has been going so far, maybe we’ll lose him. Lets hope not.

20. By Christian J. on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I say pull the offer we had for Whitehust…if we can. Use those 2 third round picks for kirk morisson.

21. By Joe on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Anderson sucks. One good year, 2 bad years and 1 HORRIBLE year. Don’t expect much. You WILL be disappointed.

22. By Tom on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Anderson was awful in Cleveland…but, in all fairness, so was Brady Quinn – both have shown glimmers of their talent in the past but few-and-far-between in the Browns; suppose it doesn’t help having really poor recievers. That’s something I don’t think we have a problem with here.

I’m willing to give him a chance but he’s not the answer. If we are looking at the draft for a QB then perhaps the 3rd round will see us take someone there? If he’s still on the board then Colt McCoy could be the one (doubtful, he won’t drop past the 2nd round, and we won’t take a QB that high I don’t think.)

That could leave us with someone like Dan LeFevour or Mike Kafka?

23. By Matt in Philly on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Not sure that I love this move. I kind of feel like Anderson is a stronger armed version of Leinart’s worst flaws. In particular, they share the problem of being able to monitor the whole field and not lock on to one receiver. Also, they both seem to have accuracy issues.

24. By Joe-B on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

At least they won’t burn a 3rd round pick on Whitehurst

25. By Darthcard on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Can’t blame brown fans on Anderson. He pulled a s. Rice on them. I do like Anderson I think this is gonna be a great competition.

26. By Tbru on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

DA is the guy I wanted when this whole process started, even before he was officially released by Cleveland. I think it is a good move just hope CW doesn’t torch us down the road for the Seahags

27. By redseafan85 on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I like this move by the cards and I think that they are headed in the right direction…still got some holes to fill though before I feel certain they’ll take a THIRD STRAIGHT DIVISION TITLE!!! GO CARDS!!

Darren-
    Thank you for the posts we the fans definitely appreciate you. ANY NEWS ON THE PORTED OFFER FROM WASHINGTON???

28. By Mark on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Wise move. Not because I think Anderson is that much better than Whitehurst. I have about the same amount of confidence in either one but Anderson can be had now and doesn’t cost a 3rd rd pick. Resign rackers, get the Ware issue resolved (whatever that is) and the team looks solid. The draft will bring depth, and at least in the short term, the team has enough starting quality that no rookie will have to step into a starting role from day one.

Graves’ methodical, low ball approach sometimes drives me nuts but usually in the end you step back and decide things are not that bad and he did alright. Porter would be a great addition but not a must. Davis as a starter would be as good or better than Okeafar was the last year if Porter goes elsewhere. That said we ended ranked 25th on D…

With how low thier salary numbers are I think they have no excuse if they don’t rework Dockett’s contract before training camp.

29. By Skiptim on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I have heard rumors of a possible 6 way trade involving Matt Leinart to Seattle (for Carroll connections), Matt Hasselbeck to Washington, Jason Campbell to Denver, Kyle Orton to Minnesota, Tavaris Jackson to Jacksonville, and David Garrard to Arizona. Do you think this signing at least adds to the progression of this being a possibility?

30. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Skip —

Yes. I anticipate the announcement of the first six-way trade in NFL history — and possibly the history of sports — any day now.

31. By azgal on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Good news! I think the FO made the right choice-GO CARDS!!!

32. By lemar on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

they finally do something right. they gone let porter get away. cause that’s the cardinals way. i’ve been a fan for 15 teen years. they have came a long ways but how can we do this togerther when you have nobody to do it with. sign some real players

33. By CMacyn on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Why would Minnesota give up their young star in the making for the great Kyle Orton?? DA deal 2 year 7.25M not bad.

34. By alex u on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Can we sign Porter tonight so i don’t have to worry about the ‘skins signing him, and so i can watch March Madness instead of worrying about it aswell. I’m sure alot you agree.

35. By Tbru on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

NFL.com shows Ware as resigned

36. By Lmoore on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

DA was a Pro Bowler when he had people to throw to. The last few years he havent had that. Now though he gets the best WR in the game and two young studs to go along with that. He may make us forget his last few years with the Browns.

37. By Tbru on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Skip’s most made me dizzy lol

38. By Nick on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Now that was entertainment, thanks Skip and Darren.
    I especially like the fact that each team was giving away their perceived QB starter for 2010.

39. By TucsonTim on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Does this mean the Whitehurst deal is off the table?

40. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Tucson —

41. By TucsonTim on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Also caught a little of the NFL network about Porter going to Washington. Simply put, he’s asking way too much money. Maybe he’ll get lucky, Washington has a track record for over paying.

42. By Tbru on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Whitehurst signed Seattle’s offer sheet.

43. By Daniel C on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

just give the QB trainers some time to work on Anderson then you would see some progressiv training and how the cardinals are going to ROCK this Mother F*****G NFL league GO CARDS

44. By larry spurgeon on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren:

I saw that the Cards signed a lot of players in Jan and Feb. Are these make good contracts or are they just training camp fodder? It seems some of them have been on the team before. Are there any the Cards are looking at in particular who could be quality backups> thanks

45. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Larry —

First of all, every NFL contract, in some shape or form, is a make-good contract. If a player is cut, salary isn’t guaranteed. Most will not make the team, I would guess, but if they are bringing guys back, they have to have seen something — otherwise, you’d try and find a diamond in the rough elsewhere.

46. By CMacyn on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Off topic but Darren what do you think of Mark Washington?

47. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

CMacyn —

Have not seen enough to have an opinion. I know the coaches believe he has a chance to contribute.

48. By Alex A on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I would just like to say, that Cleveland Brown Fans should give it a rest! You treated him like he wasn’t even a human being. When he got hurt you cheered! I’m sorry that he has a cannon and Edwards couldn’t catch a pass to save his life. I’m so excited for him to actually go to a team that has potential and is surrounded by great players! Derek is a play maker and will do great in Zona. Cant wait to see the competition between Matt and my boy DA!

49. By john m on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren
    Why haven’t the Cardinals considered Hargrove from the Saints if they want to give away their 3rd round pick. Do you know if they are considering him?

50. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

John M —

Not that I have heard.

51. By CMacyn on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren- Just wondering cause i saw some workout footage of him and he looks fairly fast. Thanks for the info.

52. By alex u on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Could Tye Hill or Nathan Vasher be an option? or are the Cards that high on Toler?

53. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Alex U —

I think Toler is the CB of the future.

54. By FightON on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Anderson will now have the opportunity to be on a real NFL team. PAC-10 QB’s play real OOC competition, and we’re a passing conference. I still don’t understand why San Diego kept the old guy Volek instead of the kid…doesn’t make sense. Whatever Whitehurst numbers were in college, he played for freakin’ Clemson, try not to get too excited about those numbers.

55. By Chris on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Anderson’s story is interesting because if you look at his numbers on NFL.com, it shows that he was nearly sacked the same amount of times last season and the 2008 season he was sacked the same number of times as his 2007 season. The major differences: 2008, he played in less games but had the same sack numbers as 2007 with many more games/starts. 2009, he didn’t really have much for a receiving corp and that had to hurt too.

I think Anderson will have all the potential in the world here with Arizona and the offense that we have put together. As long as the line gives him and/or Leinart the protection to get the ball away properly, we’ll be perfectly fine.

56. By Sean on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Gotta agree with you, Darren, on Toler, I think the kid has gobs and gobs of potential.

But, was the 6-way trade thing sarcasm on your part, or were you serious? Text doesnt portray sarcasm very well sometimes, and that would just be crazy if that 6-way trade happened.

57. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Sean —

I understand text does not portray sarcasm well.

Sometimes, however, the subject itself should be hint enough.

58. By Alberto on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Now Seattle will pay big bucks to the unproven Whitehurst and give up a draft choice in the process.Darren, I wanted to ask you if you have heard anything about Breaston signing the tender or is there a long term deal in the works? got to work out something for him and Dockett right now.Thank you

59. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Alberto —

Breaston isn’t going to sign anytime soon because once he does, he can no longer entertain offers from other teams as an RFA. That deadline is April 15.

60. By RED BIRD 66 on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know how some people can say Anderson sucks. I am pretty sure it was the Brownstain organization that sucked and will suck worse this year, Anderson and Quinn both made to look bad. I think that falls on the Browns, watch Quinn be the starter in Denver and be sucessful with a real NFL team. I don’t think any starter in the NFL would be sucessful with the Browns. I am rooting for Leinart to be the starter but if that doesn’t work or he goes down again at least we have a experienced back up to step in. If Porter wants the big money let him go away and find someone else. If he would rather play in Washington over AZ he is a fool. I hope matty is working hard this offseason as the pressure has been put on him to perform again and it that hasn’t work well for him in the past.

61. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Well, I know it would have been a 3rd rd draft pick, but I would have selected Charlie Whitehurst. Other than that, No Comment!!! I am not the boss!

62. By Peter in Canada on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I think Anderson was worth the risk. Cleveland was a horrible team last year on offence. The line didn’t block well enough for him to go downfied too much and the receivers were poor. He knew how to play in 2007, so unless he is injured he could be a good fit in AZ if he is required. Didn’t Kurt arrive in Az with question marks but he turned out ok.

What do you think about Anderson Darren?

63. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Peter —

I think he’s a backup on a two-year contract. If he plays well, great. Otherwise, it’s not like you are committing long-term. Besides, who else is out there?

64. By Sean on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Haha, that is why I had to ask. It was hard to believe, but who knows what some of these crazy GMs are doing half the time.

65. By janie on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

from a long time cleveland brown fan,go DA you are now with a team and fans that will know how to treat you right..I will be getting a az.DA no.3 jersey,to go with my new nfl team.

66. By bird fan on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

me thinks team made great move.the guy made the pro
    bowlonce.that gotta means something,maybe the team went
    down under,not the qb

67. By az1965 on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Good to see the right decision… we could have lost both QB’s. Even if we somehow managed to get Whitehurst, giving up a 3rd rounder for someone who has not thrown a single pass in NFL did not make sense.

68. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

az1965 —

I am stunned at the overall price tag the Seahawks surrendered for Whitehurst: $10 mill over two years and because they didn’t have a 2010 third-rounder, a 2011 third-rounder and swapping 20 spots in the second round in 2010.

69. By fighting bird on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

easy cleveland beau he’s now a cardinal ,you dont have to hate him anymore.except when we play the browns,which you hope dont happen.Just ask the wolf,he will explain in his words what Im talking about. Good job and congradulations Cardinals on signing D.A for the QB position.WE DO THIS TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!.

70. By Scott H on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I must say, I am more comfortable with Anderson than I would have been with Whitehurst. And just think how happy Anderson must be to get out of a QB hell like Cleveland and land in a sweet spot like Arizona! Derek Anderson, meet Larry Fitzgerald! That said, I hope we don’t see Anderson play at all this year because if we never see Anderson, that means Leinart is getting the job done. I’m no apologist for Matt Leinart but after years of being in Kurt Warner’s shadow, Leinart needs the security of knowing that he’s “the man” and that the head coach is behind him.

71. By Eazy E on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Wanted DA from the beginning. Good move at QB. That cleveland fan needs to beat it, can he even name any decent offensive weapon in cleveland??? That’s what i thought. Saves our 3rd also for possibly morrison.