Talking what-ifs doesn’t interest Whiz

Posted by Darren Urban on March 17, 2010 – 3:01 pm

While coach Ken Whisenhunt made it clear today that it was Matt Leinart’s quarterback job to lose — “Matt has earned the right to be ‘The Guy,’ ” he said — he wasn’t interested in talking about what it would take for Leinart to lose that job to newcomer Derek Anderson. Not here in March.

“There are a lot of factors that go into the quarterback position,” Whisenhunt said, sounding a bit exasperated at the question. “Right now, with us being four-and-a-half months from training camp, that’d be premature to talk about. Like I said, I think we have seen a tremendous amount of growth from Matt … but I am also excited about Derek. There will be competition. That’s not anything different than any of the other positions.”

Whisenhunt said the Cards will look at both free agency and the draft to find other quarterbacks, since the Cards still only have two. He specifically mentioned free agents “that have played for us before,” a nod to Brian St. Pierre’s possible return.

And as a p.s., while no one brought up Joey Porter directly, Whisenhunt was asked about finding linebackers in free agency. Whisenhunt said the Cards continue to talk to available players/agents and talked about the young linebackers the Cards have. He indirectly referred to Porter — who is visiting Washington — with this comment: “I don’t think (a veteran LB) is something we have to have.”

“Obviously if we have an opportunity to upgrade our team by bringing in a player that could make a big difference, we are going to attempt to do that,” Whisenhunt added.

Tags: , , , ,

27 Responses to “Talking what-ifs doesn’t interest Whiz”

1. By CardsFan on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

“I don’t think (a veteran LB) is something we have to have.”

Darren, what do you think this comment means? Does he think we have the players on our team now at ILB that can perform, or is that an indication that he feels we can address that position in the draft?

2. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

CardsFan —

I think in context he was referring to OLB. There is no question, whether it was OLB or ILB, that will be looked at in the draft. I think it was more the idea that the team won’t be crippled if Porter chooses to sign elsewhere.

3. By Dan on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Is it just me or are the Cardinals being cheap?

4. By Nick Pepe on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I like Coach Whiz’s assesment, I just think Porter will add an element that might not be there right now.
    Do think that Matt Leinart has matured enough to handle the addition of Anderson and the responsibility of leading this team? And will he (Leinart) be addressing the addition of Anderson?

5. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Nick —

I am actually trying to reach Matt, but we will see. Eventually he’ll talk.

6. By john s on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

have we exhausted our one free agent signing being that we were one of the final 8? Any chance for Keith Bulluck from the TN Titans? I live in nashville and this guy really brings the pain! Thank You.

7. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

John —

The Cards are fine when it comes to the final 8 rules. I don’t know about Bulluck though.

8. By Sittin in the Sun at Sun Devil Stadium on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Do you think the Cards are pretty much done in free agency? They could use the first 2 picks on an ILB and OLB, and then fill holes everywhere else in the draft.

Do you think they will have any interest in Nathan Vasher?

9. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Sittin —

Don’t know about Vasher. They’ve been busy looking at other things the last 24 hours. As for replacements, it’s all relative. Ware still could come back (despite whatever is out there, he has not yet re-signed). Kreider could come back. Urban could be replaced by someone like OJ Jones or Ed Gant on the roster. Robinson could still return. It’s still early.

10. By Sittin in the Sun at Sun Devil Stadium on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Do you think this is an accurate count of what they still need to replace guys?

ILB-(Dansby)
    OLB-(Berry/Okeafor)
    NT-(Robinson)
    S-(Ware)
    CB-(Brown)
    FB-(Kreider)
    WR-(Urban)

Maybe another ILB or OL?

11. By Dan on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Everson Griffen? This guy looks good. Cardinals better draft either Brandon Graham, Derrick Morgan, Everson Griffen or even Greg Hardy.

12. By Pay9-0.com on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

thts funny…I heard whis on 910 and he was fairly certain that Porter would be back in AZ and also said they’re still in talks with Porter amf his agent.

13. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I think that our 2 draft picks at OLB from last year are really impressing our coaching staff. These guys both suffered injurys in their rookie seasons. but, If they werent any good I think we would jump after Porter, obviously Whiz feels that these guys bring the same element of a big power house to the table, the same presence Joey would have, but younger. I like the idea of Keith Bullock, Ive loved that guy since the Mcnair, George, Wycheck days.

14. By fitzis11red on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Now I can wear my Leinart jersey I got in his rookie year!! Sweet!! I always belived in this guy. April 22nd can’t come soon enough.

15. By Scott H on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

My lord, did some idiot actually ask Whiz to talk about what it would take for Leinart to lose his job??? In March??? Right after Whiz gave the kid a vote of confidence by namimg him starter??? What is wrong with people??? I say it was just the right time for Whiz to set everyone straight on this, and I applaud him doing it. Leinart should be the guy, and everyone – players, fans, media – should know should know that the coach said so. It prevents the distraction, the wonder, the speculation…all the stuff Leinart doesn’t need going on around him.

PS – Darn, Darren, you sure have been busy! I’m having a hard time keping up with you…great job being right on top of everything.

16. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

Seriously, you’re writing as much as me given all your blog comments.

But yes, that was the question. You can see it yourself in the press conference video on the home page.

17. By Nick Pepe on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

If the top LB prospects were gone by the Cards pick and top WR’s fell to into the spot (Tate or Benn) would they consider it, or you just go defense because that is the most glaring need?

18. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Nick —

LB isn’t the only area I’d think they target. In the first round, I’d think a good LB or NT or even OL would be there before they’d go first-round WR.

19. By Eazy E on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Make it happen with porter. That would be a big miss for the cardinals if they don’t get him. I like graham, kindle, etc. but we need joey baddddddd!!!!! At ILB, still would like us to use that 3 on morrison or get kawika mitchell if he’s cut because of the addition of andra davis and they already have posluszny inside. In the draft, despite workouts, love spikes from florida. Cards draft him if our ILB situation stays as is.

20. By John on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Dan,
    Griffen, Morgan, and Hardy are all 4-3 ends.

Now Graham, Jerry Hughes, Brandon Lang , Koa Misi, Sergio Kindle, and Ricky Sapp all fit our defense as DE’s who could make the transition to OLB.

Graham and Kindle will be gone by our pick. Hughes would be the best pick if we go OLB in first round. Ricky Sapp and Koa Misi could be good 2nds.

Lang is up and down on boards. He could go high second to 4th depending on the draft board.

Now me, I take Hughes unless Sean Weatherspoon is there. In that case, I would look at taking Lang in the 3rd, while taking Cam Thomas(NT) in the 2nd.

21. By Dan on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

John……..Griffen, Morgan and Graham are all fast enough to be in the 3-4 defense, I want some guys who can get to the QB and these are the best of the bunch IMO.

22. By Big D on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

do you think if taylor mays is there and the best player on the cards board we would try to transition him to be a LB or do you think they would merely try to fill a hole instead of taking a chance on a dynamic player like him

23. By darrenurban on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Big D —

People have got to stop talking about Taylor Mays as a linebacker.

24. By Ctownbeatdown on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

John has it right. Switching to a 3-4 doesn’t just happen.

25. By Nick Pepe on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Darren – thanks for your resonse. And I hope the rest of the cards fans appreciate your attempt to respond to all. Best blg in the NFL. Of course it’s the only one I get on as well!
    Nick

26. By Scott H on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

darren –
    Need a partner? I’m ready!

2. Apr 5, 2010: Word From the Birds Blog