Schedule requests

Posted by Darren Urban on April 12, 2010 – 10:31 am

So Darnell Dockett tweeted this morning that he wanted the Cardinals to get some prime-time games this season so he and some of his fellow defenders can kick some butt in front of a national audience. It got me thinking just how will the Cards be viewed by the NFL with the schedule.

The schedule, by the way, should be out at some point this week. This is usually the week it happens. I think it’ll be before the draft and it’s hard to believe the league will wait until the week of the draft, when everyone will be building up toward that event. That gives the league a few more days before running into obstacles.

As for the team’s prime-time value, last season the Cards got three big-time games, including two on Sunday nights. But that was coming off the Super Bowl, and that was with Kurt Warner. But Matt Leinart still has marquee value, and the Cards do have some opponents that would work: the Cowboys, Chargers, Vikings and Saints, and maybe a Leinart-Pete Carroll reunion against Seattle.

Tags: , , , , ,

49 Responses to “Schedule requests”

1. By Chris on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

I think one of two things will happen next season.. Leinart will outperform expectations and the league will move a game or two around to put us in prime-time slots.. OR.. Anderson will become the starter and the cannon he has for an arm will lock in on Fitz/Breaston/Doucet and we will see the same prime-time slot changes made.

I remember last season that there was a game or two that were moved to prime-time.. can’t remember what teams though.

2. By ray on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

My bet is the Cardinals get hosed when it comes to prime time games, especially at home.—– NO RESPECT!!!!!!

I pray that I am wrong.

3. By darrenurban on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Ray —

Hard to say the Cards got hosed last season when they appeared on four prime-time games, including three on Sunday Night Football.

4. By Bobf on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

I’m gonna say 2 primetime games and add one more to the flex if things are going well by then.

5. By King Diamond on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Boy if the Cards and the Seahawks play a primetime game just because of Leinart and Carroll, then the marquee value of the team has really sunk to a low level.

6. By kerouac9 on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

The NFL usually gives at least one prime time home game to each playoff team. The Cards will get one home Sunday night game. I’m guessing it’ll be against San Francisco, but it could be against New Orleans, as well.

Then the Cards’ll likely get another one or two Monday Night Football games, probably one on the road (Minnesota? San Diego?) and another one at home (Dallas? San Francisco again?).

That usually seems to be how it plays out. I just hope we don’t get any Thursday games, and we have a bye after Week 7 or so.

7. By darrenurban on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Kerouac —

No way does SNF take SF-Az. I can see that as an MNF, but I don’t think it’s enough of a draw for SNF.

8. By Justin Wheeler on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Looking back at the classic finish from the most recent Cardinals-Cowboys match up, and considering that the the Cards played New Orleans in the playoffs, I would assume those two the most likely national televised games. San Diego has lost a few veteran franchise faces(Tomlinson, Cromartie) and Minnesota is not elite without Brett Favre so we will have to wait on those two teams to see if they deserve national attention.
    We can’t forget the fact that ESPN loves Cardinal-49er’s games either…

What are your opinions, realistically, on the Cardinal’s chances of getting any of these games on national TV?

9. By darrenurban on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Justin —

If I had to guess, I’d say one game on Monday night. But it’s totally a guess.

10. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Some games that would work. I see a a lot of prime time games on our schedule. Even the game against the chiefs, its whiz vs the old cardinals coaching staff. There is a lot of available drama for our schedule this year. well, football drama, like carroll vs lienart and what not. Hell, if anyone knows anything they would know that the Cards vs the 9ers is always a prime time caliber game also, every year, twice. hahaha.

11. By Wampag on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

hey D- i am sure you’ve done this but was wondering do you ever ask Whiz PRIVATELY about the character of big ben? he coached him early and knowing how good his player evaluation are I was wondering what he thought about back to back allegations…YEAH none of them came to fruition and he isn’t and hoepfully will never be a CARD but inquiring minds wonder? and no Philly on the schedule this year?

12. By darrenurban on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

If I had and it was private, why would I share it?

And no, Philly isn’t on the schedule. The Cowboys are the only NFC East opponent.

13. By Wampag on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

D- I meant not as part of a regular press conference by private

14. By dylan on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

dont the cardinals have the weakest schedule in the nfl?

15. By darrenurban on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Dylan —

I believe the winning percentage of the Cards’ 2010 opponents is the lowest of any team, yes. But I also know that frequently doesn’t mean a lot.

16. By Eric on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

I hope we don’t get any monday night home games. It’s great for exposure but man it stinks drving from the east valley in rush hour on a monday. It’s not always easy to take the day off or leave work early.

17. By nor cal cards fan on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Dylan- Darren is spot on when he says that the strength of schedule usually doesn’t mean anything.The reason is there’s always at least two or three teams every year that have great seasons and make the playoffs that didn’t make the playoffs the previous year, so it can be misleading when u look at the schedule and say, ” wow look at all these teams we play that didn’t make the playoffs last year, it should be easy pickings.” I’ve been guilty of it myself in the past. Take the Cowboys, Packers, and Saints for example in’09. None of those teams made the playoffs the previous season. We could have three teams like that on our schedule this year….i’m sure you’re aware of all this already, just thought i’d chime in. GO CARDS!

18. By JerryWayne on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Boo that statement^^

19. By nor cal cards fan on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

I know we didn’t play the cowboys and saints in the reg. season last year, just using them as an example. Thought i’d clarify that…..i’m bored at work.

20. By K-DUB on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Will Matt use a glove on his throwing hand like Kurt this season?

And,

Will the starting RB position be open challenge or does Beanie have the job.

21. By darrenurban on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub —

Matt has been non-committal about the glove.

As for starting RB, I would guess it will be open. Hightower was the starter to end the year, so I don’t see them switching automatically. But I also believe Beanie will be getting plenty of work regardless of whether he is on the field for the first play of the game — which is all a starter really is.

22. By Eric on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

I hope we have NO night games. Our record in night games over the past few years is abyssmal! Generally, a primetime games means the Cards will choke in front of a national audience. And, as previously mentioned, the Monday nighters (as well as Sunday for me) create huge headaches in terms of work and driving. I’m fine with no primetime games and flying under the radar.

23. By pjdylan on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

.445 2010 opponents record in 2009.
    But you never know in the NFL.
    And very good teams on the schedule: New Orleans, Dallas, San Diego, and Minnesota.
    Cards still have their work cut out for them.

24. By Joe-B on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Probably one of the Cardinals and Seahawks games.

25. By cards62 on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Schedule and S. Holmes

I think we get 2 to 3 prime time game to start the season, and we see how the season goes. SF game is always tight.

Did Coach Whiz have any interest in S. Holmes at all. I know his contract is up after next season and he has some issues, but wow what a talent and the Jets only gave up a 5th round choice. I believe in our wideouts, but this seems like it would have been a sweet pickup. Thank you

26. By darrenurban on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Cards62 —

I don’t know on Holmes, but to say he had “some issues” is like saying Larry Fitzgerald has “some talent.”

27. By Dick on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

I live in SoCal. A prime-time game means I’ll get to see it! The other games on Fox & CBS, shown in SoCal, are rarely Cardinals games. You all in the Phoenix area see ALL the games. I have to watch The Red Zone to see the Cards in action.

28. By Ed Scaife on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

All I’m going to say is when Chicago has a half way decent season, the next year they get like four MNF games… Arizona should be thankful they’re not Chicago… lol

29. By dylan on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

dick-

i watch every single game here in peoria,az

well lets hope we get more prime time games for you lol

30. By D D on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Come on eric u dont have say “choke.” Its football and stuff happens. besides i like when the cards are watched nationally, that way when they win i know everyone watched and i can talk smack to all the cowboy/viking/pats fans for at least a week. lol. You gotta have faith man!

31. By Mack on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Do you think the Steelers think that Holmes did it, thats why they practicly gave him away?

32. By darrenurban on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Mack —

I think almost every player is replaceable. So even a “star” has a law of diminishing returns, and after awhile, even 1,000 yards isn’t worth it anymore.

33. By fitzis11red on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

hehehe!! Ed.

Now I know we had Warner and Boldin but that Minnesota game last year was something we Cards fan can look back on and presumably agree was the best primetime outing this franchise has had since moving to the valley. I would hope that the national TV prognosticators have as much confidence in this “D” as I do. We have Porter who has played in alot of national TV games and could get this team to rise to the occasion even with Leinart and Doucet. Whiz can get anyone to play.

Darren-

Remember that video where you, I believe it was, asked all those NFL analysts if the Cards have turned the corner? To a man, they all pretty much agreed and gave Whiz the credit. If TV people don’t have faith in the players, maybe they have faith in the coaches?

34. By darrenurban on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Fitz —

If you are making a reference to whether the Cards get TV games, we all know the overall national following plays a part. Like it or not, more people watch the Dallas Cowboys than the Cardinals, for instance, even if it is to root against them. That’s always a factor.

35. By fitzis11red on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Not what I meant at all. Just that the perception of the team nationally is upgraded by far and I have confidence in the D. Believe me I know people want to watch the cowboys. I was there week in and week out when 35,000 fans were at the games until Cowboy week and it would sell out. I’m just giving my opinion about Whiz and what analysts have said. I liked that video. This team can play well in primetime. Now if people don’t agree then so be it. But you are right. I don’t disagree.

36. By D D on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Fitz. Darren is right about more people watching the cowboys even if they are rooting agaist them. Thats exactly why the cards need more national tv time so people can develope a stronger opinion on them. So maybe one day they can reach a cowboy or stealer status. not praising the cowboys or stealers, just saying.

Darren do u like the cards having national televised games or no?

37. By darrenurban on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

DD —

Well personally no. But since I am writing well after a game is over (or on a flight after a road game), climbing into bed at 1 a.m. or, after a road trip, 5 a.m., doesn’t excite me. It has nothing to do with the game. I’m just selfish that way.

As for the players, heck yes. It means national exposure.

38. By D D on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

I understand that. lol. im in TN so i have to buy the NFL package every year.

39. By fitzis11red on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

I wasn’t implying people wanted to see the cards, just that the perception is better than, say oh about 3 years ago, and that hopefully it could work in thier favor for an extra night game. Or not, so be it. Its cool. GO CARDS!

40. By Cronos Warner on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Darren:
    Do you feel good about the if healthy belief about Beanie achieving 12-1400 yds and 30-45 catches for 1500+ total yards this next year…? Stay solid!!

41. By darrenurban on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Cronos —

Beanie definitely has those numbers in him. But do not forget Whisenhunt believes in multiple backs. Hightower is going to get significant work.

42. By Skiptim on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Most of the few comments I’ve made here have been filled with a bit of sarcasm, but I’m fresh out at the moment… any tips?

43. By darrenurban on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Skip —

You absolutely cannot force it. There is nothing worse than bad sarcasm.

44. By Skiptim on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren – Good tip. I’ll sit on it until I can come up with something real juicy.

45. By darrenurban on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Skip —

I’ll count the minutes.

(See what I did there? Wait for it to come to you. 😉 )

46. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

I think that if any of the Cards fans remember all the blackouts when Az played in Tempe, they’d be appreciative of ANY primetime broadcasts.

And when you play in the NFC West and go against the AFC West, you’re going to have a low opponent winning %.

It’s similiar to the Steelers not nominating Holmes for NFL man of the Year. Common sense.

47. By Jeff Gollin on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Everything is a bit different League-wise this offseason (the 3-day draft marathon representing the biggest difference).

There’s no reason why it shouldn’t be any the less different with regard to the timing on the regular-season schedule release.

I agree with Rich Eisen’s quip that – following a pattern starting to emerge during 2010 (with regard to Sunday FA signings and other stuff) – the League will probably release the schedule (when nobody expects it) next Sunday night.

(Note – Usually by now, NFL Network’s DirecTV grid would have plugged in the ” 2010 Schedule Announcement Special” by now; but they haven’t. Maybe – in light of the McNabb and other trades – they want to continue tweaking the schedule to capitalize on “new-team vs., former-team” matchups).

48. By Andrew on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Can we play someone other than san fran on Monday Night this year?? Hopefully with last seasons game being so terrible maybe we can host MNF against the Cowboys??? Although the Cowboys seem to be on every Sunday night so that may be more likely…

49. By Scott H on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

I say they get two prime time games this year and that would seem fair. First, I think the stadium itself – and the fact that it has been filled to the rafters with crazy Cardinal fans since the day it opened – is a draw. It’s regarded as one of the best pro sports venues in the world at this point and it makes sense for the NFL to want to have a P/T game there. AND I think Matt Leinart is also a draw that is going to get the team into the P/T spotlight at least once as well. I know that if he played for another team, I would be interested in seeing what he can do. I have to think the NFL will believe that enough people will have the same curiosity. They should get at least two P/T appearances. Any less would seem unfair. Any more would be a bonus.