Live chat and Ginn to Niners

Posted by Darren Urban on April 16, 2010 – 10:06 am

On the heels of the news that the 49ers have reportedly acquired wide receiver Ted Ginn for a draft pick (and reportedly would take quarterback Jimmy Clausen in the draft if he is there), a reminder that my live chat on azcardinals.com is coming in about an hour (11 a.m. Az time, 2 p.m. eastern). We’ll talk draft and the Cards, and if you want to talk NFC West, we can do that too. Click here for the chat.

Tags: , , ,

29 Responses to “Live chat and Ginn to Niners”

1. By dustin whitlock on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

i know alot of people dont believe in leinart but he did show progression against the titans and in the playoffs against the saints. Do you believe the cardinals will take pressure off of him by running more and in turn allowing him not to have to throw the ball 40 times a game which is less chance to mess up or feel pressured??

2. By darrenurban on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Dustin —

The Cards will not be throwing the ball 40 times a game.

3. By Wampag on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

D- I think San fran is very very scary right now they get a QB we are in real trouble

4. By c0dy on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Niners look real scary… we should’ve given miami a 5th rounder, deep threat and a punt returner. I’m really excited for the season to start already, which really sucks. I think we have a ton of potential with s.baggs, c.brown at OLB. Is beanie gonna be named the starter? I say give hightower 5-10 rushes max per game and let beanie carry the load.

5. By rich on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

I believe in Leinart! Beanie in his second, HT in his 3rd… SCARY!! Az’s gonna run some peeps over next year!

6. By Patrick Rodriguez on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think that Ted Ginn Jr. is any sort of a threat. He was traded because of his inconsistency at WR position. I think the Niners got a decent return man, but I don’t expect him to be turning heads anytime soon.

Hey Darren… I was wondering since the Steelers are exploring the possiblity of trading Big Ben do you think that the Cardinals might try to bring him to the desert? I hope not. I want to see how Leinart progress this season.

7. By darrenurban on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Patrick —

Given the revelations of the last 24 hours, there is no way Ben is coming here.

8. By John on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

C’mon, Ginn doesnt make the niners scary. The fact they have 3 picks in the top 49 picks is scary. The fact they may land Clausen is scary.

But, remember, the cards are pretty scary also when they go 3 wides with Fitz, Breaston, and Doucet, spread you out so you go to a nickle or dime package and then run Beanie.No little DB wants to see Beanie in the open field.
    And on defense, Porter gives us that outside passrusher with Dockett and Campbell coming from the inside with DRC taking your best wr out of the game. That seems pretty scary and we havent even drafted yet.Let the niner fans fear us.
    Don’t forget who is the defending West Champs!!

9. By Jesse Robles on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    I am transferring to Walter Cronkite School for Journalism next semester, that is why I was asking, but looking down the road..I would love to come work with you guys. Any way to contact you so I do not have to ask a question like this, non-football related, greatly appreciated. I know you were joking too Mr. Coughlin.

10. By darrenurban on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Jesse —

Anyone can reach me at askdarren@cardinals.nfl.net.

11. By William on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Honestly, I can’t wait to make fun of your mock draft. Sorry 🙂

Who knows, maybe I won’t have to.

12. By darrenurban on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

William —

No apologies needed. I’m sure it’ll be horrific.

13. By Jesse Robles on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

If you are scared go to church guys, grown man league here. Niners are good, but we are too. Sounds like I’m in a Niners chat room?? How do we forget after 9 turnovers we still almost won that game @ Candlestick Park, their offense is still horrible and Ginn has NO hands, hints why they traded for a 5th rounder. I think we will have a dominant LB core after the draft, very excited about our D!!

14. By Bob Christianson on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Stupid question (for me) number oh hell I lost count.I can’t find anywhere that mentions Deuce’s signing

15. By darrenurban on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Bob —

That’s because he hasn’t.

16. By John on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

If Ben is traded here, I’m turning in my season tickets.
    Sure no charges again,(This is a second accusation), but this guy is pretty low. I have 2 daughters myself, and these kind of losers scare me.

I would rather have the Cardinals know for guys like Kurt Warner, Anthony Edwards, Aeneas Williams and Pat Tilman.(along with many others).

No wonder the Rooneys are so upset.

17. By LH on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Hey, we may have to go through a “divorce” situation with Matt Leinart, which includes a time of grieving.

I am disgusted with this board, where most of the people seem happy that Kurt is gone, because he just took over the place that belonged to Matt. Never mind that Kurt was here the year before, and with Josh McCown actually led the league in passing yardage.

Matt was the result of Dennis Green trying to pull one over on the FO, especially Michael Bidwill, who sees everything with a business model. “He’s a rookie, so we won’t win that many games.”

But it was just a snow job that got M.B. to put Matt first and market him as “the Cardinals Franchise QB”.

AZ always was a vertical team. Their offense was designed to go down the field. Matt played in a strictly West Coast system. So, we went from leading the league in passing, and picking #10, to being worse and picking #4 (or #5?).

Kurt also signed a contract that paid him to be the starter. If he did not have the character and belief in himself to compete then he would have retired, or asked for a trade. Three years later we are calling him a “Future HoF”. But the posters on this board seem to be glad Kurt’s gone, so Matt can finally show us what he’s got.

Our O-Line is not good enough to successfully block for the RBs early, and then opposing defenses can disguise their blitzes and cause confusion for Matt. Furthermore, I don’t see Matt making it through a full season w/out getting hurt. I hope DA won’t get hurt either…

18. By Bob Christianson on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Darren

19. By Joe-B on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

LH: I don’t think many of the people on here were glad Kurt is retiring because he was in the spot Matt should have been in. I’m rooting for Matt, but we all know Warner is better than him. I don’t care, I still see potential in him, and I think we can win the division with Leinart.

20. By John on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

LH

I can’t believe anyone is happy Kurt is gone. Many wonder if our chances retired with Kurt.
    But as fans, you root for the guy that is in there now and tell yourself he will do well. Also, there is a believe that the cards are becoming more focused on running and playing defense.

Think Joe Gibbs Redskins (who Grimm and Whiz played for). Gibbs used a power running game along with a play action passing game down field. Who were his QB’s? Mark Ripeon, Jay schrader, Joe theismann. Not exactly top notch guys he won the superbowl with.He had good defenses with manley and mann who could rush the passer and Daryl Green, who shut down one side of the field. Our hope is, Whiz is copying this blueprint and can win it all with Leinart.

With that being said, That doesnt mean everyone doesnt miss Kurt. We do.

21. By Scott H on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

I’m not shaking in my boots ovet the 49ers but the fact is, they are a threat to challenge the Cardinals in the division this year. Even for the past several years – when the Cardinals WERE clearly a better team – the 49ers gave us fits and they beat us as many times as we beat them. They were right in our back pocket all year last season, weren’t they??? Just as the Cardinals needed a few seasons to sneak up on the Seahawks and finally take over the division, the 49ers have been sneaking up on the Cardinals and, well…we’ll see. But the 49ers are a talented team and they have taken on the personality of their coach. I believe in Leinart myself but until we actually see success on the field, it IS fair for anyone to believe that the Cardinals have taken a step back with Warner’s retirement. Hey, who knows…maybe Leinart will turn out to be just what we need to get the 49ers monkey off our back! As truly great as Warner was, it always seemed that the Niners had his number…

22. By Sittin in the Sun at Sun Devil Stadium on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Ted Ginn is a good fit for the Niners…

23. By CJ on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Look at donald bulter (washington) is really good and for2-4 round draft pick is worth it.

24. By CardsRep928 on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Hey scott got to your own teams website!

25. By iHateHaters on Apr 17, 2010 | Reply

We will thrive.

I mean, come on.

“We are EXACTLY who we thought we were.”

26. By Sittin in the Sun at Sun Devil Stadium on Apr 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

If the Cards draft an inside linebacker, could that make Gerald Hayes expendable?

The reason I ask is because they signed Lenon who seems to be more like Hayes, than Dansby. They were looking at Foote who is more like Hayes than Dansby. So with that, do you think there is a possibility that they were looking to replace Hayes with Lenon/Foote and replace Dansby through the draft? They also seem to have numbers behind Hayes and Lenon with re-signing Beisel, and having Walker and Highsmith. Beisel re-signed pretty fast, and I’m sure they told him he will have a chance to start, which he jumped at last year with KC. So if they draft another inside linebacker they would have 6 total, meaning 2 would probably go away. They wouldn’t let go of the draft pick (unless it’s Buster Davis), they wouldn’t let go of Lenon or Beisel since they signed, and I can’t see them letting go of both Walker and Highsmith because they are so cheap, so it would have to be Hayes and either Walker/Highsmith, wouldn’t it?

It might be far fetched, I guess, but just a thought… Or maybe they just wanted someone (like Lenon and Foote) and more disciplined and a steady tackler to replace Dansby?

27. By darrenurban on Apr 18, 2010 | Reply

Sittin —

I think no player is irreplaceable.

28. By Mr. Know It All on Apr 18, 2010 | Reply

John

Well said.

29. By cards62 on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Good points being made except for the post that said the board is happy that Kurt Warner retired. I do not read everything posted but I know most of our feelings is that we wanted Kurt back next year, and that we all rooted for Kurt’s success, and felt his pain in the Saints game, but Kurt decided to retire and we respect his decision and are happy for the man, but do not think for one second we wanted Kurt to retire. I love the cardinals and am an old fan so while I will say Kurt is no Moses he did lead my team out of the desert and to the super bowl which lets face it “Its a miracle”

We fans do have to move on and Kurt is not walking back into the huddle so as fans we have to rally around our QB, Matt L. and root for his success. I am scared of how Matt will perform next year and lead our team, but I do support the organization taking a chance on Matt and giving him the 2010 season to see what we have with Matt, and I do hope he does great and has a pro bowl year..

I to think our running game is getting better and better, but feel that it still can not carry this team next year with our O-Line, and I would like to see us upgrade LT, C, and tight end.

San Fran is getting better and getting Ginn makes them stronger and we should habe picked up Holmes or GInn. Because of money probably Ginn. In Miami Ginn was asked to be their # 1 receiver, and for us he would have been our 3rd and 4th receiver on the fiield. A big difference in the NFL and I think he would have helped our team a lot next year just as a returner, but I think he could have stretched the field for us and caught 35 to 50 passes so I think we made a large mistake in not trading for Ginn.
    Mr. Graves you missed this one in my opinion so make sure you draf the TE Hernandez for me out of Florida.
    Draft coming in 4 days Go cards !!!