A decent start important in 2010

Posted by Darren Urban on April 20, 2010 – 5:10 pm

Well, obviously the schedule has been released. The Cards got a pair of national TV games, which is probably what should have been expected after Kurt Warner’s retirement. The games against the 49ers already loomed large and now both are positioned as such: a Monday night game at home and the season finale (the NFC West on the line, perhaps?). Bottom line, the pre-bye portion of the schedule — three of the first four on the road, a four-week stretch that includes the Falcons, Chargers and Saints — will set the tone for the season. But if the Cards can maneuver their way around it OK, that post-bye stretch could produce results. Plus the road games get (at least on paper) easier with trips to Seattle, Kansas City and Carolina, in addition to a ton of home games.

Tags: , ,

47 Responses to “A decent start important in 2010”

1. By Logan on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

With the easiest schedule in the league, we better have a etter record than last year. Hopefully we don’t play down to our competition like we usually do.

2. By Ernest Nabor on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

Everyone knows that Matt is in the drivers seat comming into this seaon. I really believe he and the Cards got take the respect of the league. No one is gonna give our guys any sympothy and Whiz ain’t gonna make excuses. The schedule this year is gonna give us a good look as far measuring what type of team are we’re gonna be. We’re gonna find out if our team has the guts to grab the glory. Who has the want to stay commited through this year and beyond. Beat who were suppost to and bow down to no one!! Hey fans hold the line and back up your Arizona Cardinals. ” GO REBIRDS ” No band wagoners need apply. You can stay home and play Madden.

3. By Mackey on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

I’ll be at game 2 in ATL – Go Cards!!

4. By Scott H on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

It’s hard to even have an opinion on this right now. The slate of opponents isn’t so frightening, but…with Warner, Boldin, Dansby, Rolle, Berry all gone and their replacements not really familiar to us ( except Breaston at WR ), the opponents are not the focus. It’s a question of who are these 2010 Cardinals and what will they look like without all those steady performers we’ve gotten used to? That being said, I don’t like 3 three of the first four on the road AS WELL AS two of the last three! What the hell??? Is it something we said???

5. By DDI3 on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

Cards have to prove themselves again to obtain nationally televised games, especially with an unestablished quarterback and new defensive personnel. But the 49ers are getting 4 nationally telvised games?! Way too much hype for a team with a non-descript offense, and a quarterback more unproven than ours. The 49ers will fall hard.

6. By alex u on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

if can go 3-2 before the bye we’re good, Raiders and St.Louis, should be easy wins. We have alot of games that we should win. I can see the Cards and San Fran both easily, having a record of 10-5 going into that week 17 match-up. I honestly think we’ll both make the playoffs because we benifit from our “easy” division, playing St.Louis and Seattle twice, not to mention we both have very easy schedules, in my opinion atleast. And i noticed based on last year, we play alot of crappy pass defenses, should hopefully benifit Leinart.

7. By john wheelhouse on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

If the Cards can go 3-2 or better to the start the season after 5 games playoffs will be obtainable

8. By Nick on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

I can’t wait! I’m trying to figure out which games I’m going to! Vacation request is of course already in for Nov 29th and 30th.

9. By vivek on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

What’s your take on the ‘hawks this season ? Or do we only need to worry about the 49ers again ?

10. By darrenurban on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

Vivek —

I think writing anyone off at this point is foolish. That said, with a team rebuilding under not only a new coach but a new front office, I don’t see Seattle making a leap right away.

11. By Mike B on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

I say it will be completely posssible to have a winning season (assuming we win most of our division games) and the road games such as Kansas City Carolina and maybe the Falcons can be winnable as it is for the home games against the Bucks and Raiders. we can see us going 9-7 like last year thats if we win those games listed, but who knows with our great team we may see another 10 win season, you can never count out the cards…..

12. By Brian R. on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

I really hope Leinart steps up his game. Hell, I would even take a trip to ARI just so he would get some practice throwing the ball to me. Our crown in on the line. Step up Matt, you will NOT be a bust.

13. By mahonri on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

CARDs should get shawn merriman

14. By Josh on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

Go Cards! If Leinhart can play, then the Cards will fly, if he trips up, then Anderson should be able to take the reign. I really didnt like Leinhart, but now that I kind of see it from his prospective im really hoping he proves me wrong and earns pro-bowl status or something this season.

15. By Bob Christianson on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

Typical New York mentally. They don’t want teams playing in the Arizona heat! Two games on national TV! To get respect we will have to have A successful decade like New England or the 49’s!

16. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

EVERYONE PLEASE!!!!!! can we make the christmas game a true home game. buy tickets and make your friends that like the cardinals come. I would llllooooovvvvveeeee to avoid all da boys chant during christmas. booo cowboys!!!!

17. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

11-5 with our easy schedule. nfc and afc west have been bad for the past couple of years.

18. By Mr. Know It All on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Summary 2010 schedule.

Sep 12 @St.Louis 4:15pm–Rams have rookie at QB?
    Sep 19 @Atlanta 1:00pm–M Ryan 0-2 vs Cards?
    Sep 26 Oakland-Raider fans scary, team is not!
    Oct 3 @San Diego 4:15pm-True Test
    Oct 10 New Orleans 4:05pm-“Super Bowl was gift wrapped” (J Dukes NFL.com) no repeat for NO.
    Week 6 BYE
    Oct 24 @Seattle 4:05pm–Matt L vs Pete C
    Oct 31 Tampa Bay 4:15pm–Sea of Red sinks Bucs
    Nov 7 @Minnesota 2:00pm–Will Brett be back?
    Nov 14 Seattle 5:15pm–The Rematch
    Nov 21 @Kansas City 2:00pm–Whiz vs Haley
    Nov 29 San Francisco 9:30pm–The Big Payback
    Dec 5 St.Louis 5:15pm-Will Rams have improved?
    Dec 12 Denver 5:15pm–Glad this is a home game
    Dec 19 @Carolina 2:00pm–set the alarm clocks
    Dec 25 Dallas 8:30pm-Cards get Christmas gift.
    Jan 2 @San Francisco 5:15pm–Battle for Div?

Cards are on their way back to the playoffs!!!!

19. By christian on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

nice picture darren with A-dub man thats my boy.. i like the old jerseys man they sick. you think u can still get the old ones or no? man i guranttee we do sumtin big this year thats going to shock people

20. By Tyler Comella on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

just wait i bet there are going to be alot of people asking if the caridnals are going to trade for rothlisberger, becaus whiz knows him. Well there is no chance that is going to happen unless a mircle happens which i dont see happing.

21. By Jon L on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

So what is the deal with Adrian? on the front page of the site there is a thing about an announcement on the 22nd… are the going to change his position or something?

22. By darrenurban on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Jon L —

Yep. He is going to replace Anquan on offense.

But don’t tell anyone.

23. By Tbru on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

A Dub isn’t retiring is he? The front page is kind of scary

24. By darrenurban on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Tbru —

25. By Tbru on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

because whiz knows him……..

is the exact reason the Cards will never trade for Rothlisberger

26. By christian on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

darren, r u kidding about adrianon offense lol. im guessing so. but i heard on KTAR 620 that cards are getting alternate jerseys? is that true?

27. By darrenurban on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Christian —

Yes I am kidding about Adrian on offense.

28. By Jesse Robles on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

I hope your “Then, Now, Next” thing means that we are getting Red Helmets for our Unifoms!!!

29. By paydaman90 on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

HAHAHA yeah A-dub replaces Anquan, Good one. I just wanted to say heck yes to DRC#1FAN! Please lets make it a true home game, that would be awesome. GO CARDS!!!!

30. By Matt on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

it has to be new jersey’s

think about all these jersey’s that fill our stadium

Boldin- gone
    Dansby- gone
    Rolle- gone
    Edge James- gone
    Rackers- why people had his jersey???? gone
    and to a lesser extent Warner

Cards are makin a smart move.

31. By fishin4bass4life on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Looks like a good season. Cards should easily snatch the division for a 3peat baby. I think the Cards are getting new uniforms this season. That is what I have heard atleast. Lets see if the rumors are true tomorrow 🙂

32. By cards62 on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Rams games should be our two easiest games. Rams just traded former 1st round pick, Adam C. defensive line to move up in the 5th round. Oh good grief their d line is horrible. I am beginning to think all football clubs residing in St. Louis are cursed ha ha.

I think we can go 11-5. 49ers continue to improve so I am hoping they have a bad draft this week. This team is coming and making a lot of the right move in my opinion. QB is their one great need.

Mock Draft out today on Fanbase has us passing on Sean Weatherspoon out of Missouri and taking Dergio Kindle out of Texas. So what do you think of this first round selection?

33. By darrenurban on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Cards62 —

It’s not an insane pick. But I still think it’s more likely inside than outside.

34. By dylan on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

well i think the new uniforms better be legit lol

35. By J.MO on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

it’s going to be a beautiful christmas when we play and beat the dallas cowboys… i am a proud supporter of my AZ CARDS!!!

36. By Mike B on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

DRC fan im already getting tickets for the Dallas game with my father ill be in my favorite clothes my DRC jersey with my black cards hat and a cards hoodie with jeans…. you can have EVERYTHING cardinals or can you….. and Darren what game are you looking forward to seeing?

37. By Matt on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

i promise i’m not one of those guys who shoots out crazy McNabb 6 way trades, but Whiz said on the radio he couldn’t comment on Roethlisberger to the Cards because of tampering. What are the odds of this happening? Honest question, not trying to start an uproar here.

38. By darrenurban on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Matt —

The Cards are not getting Roethlisberger.

Let’s say they had an interest (which they don’t). You give up two first-rounders for him? And let’s say you’re willing to do that. Then you have to tell Leinart, “Hey, Ben is our QBoF but we need you to concentrate and win us the first four games because Ben is suspended. Then we’ll toss you out.”

Just doesn’t make sense.

39. By KEVIN on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

D-

ok, so is it just gonna be a black jersey (like the Eagles) or are we talking about black pants to go with the jersey (Baltimore)? Either way, if this is what is going down, it’ll be sick and I hope that is what the announcement is.

40. By Billy Thomas on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Well I look at it this way. I would rather have our 2 primetime games at home than the Steelers 5 primetime games with 3 on the road. Let’s face it, road primetime games are terrible. You’re forced to play a really good team at their stadium when all eyes are on them. That’s just suicide. So, I’d say we did quite nicely. Also, I agree, the first part of the season will definitely be important, but I think the Cards need to remember that the first part is tough, and even if we end up 2-3 after that stretch going into the bye, the rest of the season will be much easier. (But if we can go 5-0, well then glorious years are ahead of us!!!!!)

41. By Billy Thomas on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Are the Cardinals going to surprise us by holding up the new jersey for the Cardinals when we make our first draft pick (assuming that person is actually there)? I’m just wondering because that would be an awesome way to do it.

42. By Mike B on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

TO all who think we are getting a free agent QB… I do not think we will because of the talent of Leinart and Anderson (we we already recieved in free agency) I think it was a one QB deal. plus Budger and Campbell are not as good as DA (in my opinion) Ben however is but his rep and off field behavior is unacceptable. We however will draft one most likely in the third round so we can work on whats needed first and its not going to be Tebow or McCoy (McCoy will be gone and Tebow too) It will most likely be Pike Skelton or LeFevour. Darren I hope this helps you for the endless Big Ben and other QB questions….

43. By Patrick on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Based on the Cheerleader selection, we’ve got a good start already.

44. By 98CardsFan on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

It HAS to be alternate jerseys because the Cards Store is having a fire sale of everything, which means when the new merchandise comes in everything they already have will be obsolete! Even the hightower, fitzgerald jerseys are on sale and they are still with the team! I’m hoping that you can order their throwback white jerseys because I really miss those ones. Sorry if my speculation ruins the surprise if its true.

45. By fitzis11red on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Would black helmets be too much like Atlanta? Maybe so, I still think that would be pretty cool.

Whichever QB, Smith, Carr; Leinart, Anderson has the good season that team will win the division. Guess the Cards get another home playoff game!! GO CARDS!!!!!

46. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Panthers, Panthers, Panthers…

47. By footballchrisse on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

I chalk the December 25th game up as a win for the Boys. The december chocking is over and they’re LOADED with talent.