Cards trade up, take Washington UPDATE

Posted by Darren Urban on April 23, 2010 – 4:18 pm

The Cards traded one of their third-round picks to move up 11 picks in the second round to take TCU LB Daryl Washington, the guy they might have taken in the first round had Dan Williams not been there. Not a huge surprise. They have one third-round pick left, the one they got from the Ravens. Washington needs to add some weight, but he was clearly a guy the Cards wanted to get to replace Karlos Dansby at weakside inside linebacker.

UPDATE: Coach Ken Whisenhunt said Washington was the 12th-rated player on the Cards’ board (one behind Williams) and was considered with the first round pick. GM Rod Graves said there wasn’t much debate on trading the third-round pick because it was “the right decision.” Whisenhunt said after the pick, one NFC team called to say it was going to take Washington “a couple of picks later.” Whiz didn’t specifically name the team.

Tags: , , , ,

75 Responses to “Cards trade up, take Washington UPDATE”

1. By zwilly on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

lovin this pick, great value, very athletic…love the direction were headin in this draft…i’d like to see either angerer or javier arenas with our third rounder…lessss gooo cards

2. By Logan Cooper on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

This draft is blowing my mind. Amazing! I gurantee they had Washington targeted at 26 if Williams was gone. He was better than hughes this year!!

GO CARDS!!!

3. By Jcaswellsr on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Ah I knew it. Was the LB I wanted. Just hate to give up the 3rd pick. Kinda of a steep price.

4. By Nicholas B on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

I love the pick….I think they may have gave up a little much…but a good pick..I’m sure he is very high on there board….I hope they consider trading down in the 3rd or 4th….so they can add an extra pick….maybe a 5th…this is a very deep draft…I do understand why they traded up…just think its a steep price…now they have him and Cody Brown to play LB….

-Nick

5. By mike b on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

now we need a qb in the third… or 4th

6. By MoJo on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

I like the pick but I hate the fact that we had to give up a 3rd rounder ! !

7. By Yoshi on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

I’m pretty hyped about all of this. Loving these defensive picks and excited about the prospect of watching a young talented defense grow up. If Leinart can step up, which I believe he can…I’m really starting to get excited for next season….

8. By ksredbird on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

good trade up. i would have like to see what we did with back to back picks. but very excited. it seems we wanted this guy from the start. get ’em wizz!

9. By Deveau on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Quick updates. I like the Washington pickup, but hate that we gave up a 3rd to move up. Too deep a draft to drop a third. Otherwise 4 phalanges up.

Just my $.02.

Cris

10. By K-DUB on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Needs More Weight Huh? Lott will take care of that with muscle.

11. By K-DUB on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

If we didn’t trade up who was likely to take Washington before us?

12. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub —

Whisenhunt said an “NFC team” called to say they were going to take Washington “a couple of picks” later.

13. By CardinalSwagger on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Great exchange and pick, their was no way of him staying til the 58th pick. He sure does need add some weight but he will do great, hopefully.

14. By Matt in Philly on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Good pick. I think I would have been just as satisfied standing pat and waiting for Washington, Sean Lee, or Brandon Spikes at 57.

15. By Shtiggy on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

They definitely traded up to get ahead of the Giants in order to get Washington. Great job Cards!!!!! Let’s trade up to get Campbell or Brown if possible. We’d have to give a lot to do that though.

OT or CB at the next pick.

16. By CJ on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Great Pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. By YYZAZ on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Before the draft my dream scenario was dan williams then a trade up to get jerry hughes. I never thought it was possible though.then williams fell and we traded for hughes teammate in washington. This draft is going great for us, let’s hope this continues.

18. By carlo7000 on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

a lot of people complaining because we gave too much for him..but honestly we should trust our coach and scouts…probably they watched a lot of tape of him and he had a good interwiew…so dont say we could wait and maybe grab sean lee or chaney…i m sure they saw something special on him

19. By Deveau on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Watching the picks come off the board, who do you think worried the Cards enough to move up and draft Washington?

And, do you think the cards trade down from the 3rd to pick up a few extra choices?

Cris

20. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Deveau —

I think the Niners or Vikings are possible, but I don’t know.

As far as trading down, we’ll see what players are there. I think the Cards are pretty happy so far, if they get a good pick in the third round, they’ll be satisfied.

21. By lg on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

we doing good so far let’s get a corner mcfadden is not good

22. By Lone-Eagle on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Did the Cards give up their 58th pick and thier 3rd round pick to get Washington? If they did they gave up too much, good pick or not! What is the story. Also how does one get a Black jersey and how much are they for Authentic?

23. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Lone —

Yes, they swapped second-rounders.

There is an ad on the homepage to click to order jerseys.

24. By big "D" on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

I think Leinart will do well, we’ve got all kinds of offensive ability. Building a tough young D will ensure a strong playoff future. Go Cardinals….GET THAT GUY!

25. By Tyler comella on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

wonderful pick. Darren would a db be a good choice the next round. or a wr i have been hearing alot about us taking a reciver in the thrid

26. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Tyler —

Depends who is there. I could see either.

27. By Tommy n on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

If you look at who picked after…SF was the the only NFC team picking “soon”.

28. By Potter on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

I raced home from work yesrterday to watch round 1 and watched every minute of the draft thus far.

I never believed that Williams would have fallen that far considering that he was the #3 rated DT behind Suh and McCoy who went #2 and #3 overall. Great value at #26 to get a guy who most experts had in the #8-12 range. And now we get Washington in the 2nd when we were considering him 20 picks earlier when Williams fell to us. That is great value to land 2 1st round prospects.

I was initially upset we traded up and gave up one of our 3rd round picks when we have holes to fill. But I have complete confidence in Whiz and Graves.

So who do you think we take with our 3rd round pick? I know we need DB depth, but what about Riley Cooper the WR from Florida?

29. By Matt in Philly on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

I like the Washington pick, but the sting of the 2007 draft, in which we made a similar trade to nab Alan Branch in the second-round, then took an undersized ILB in the third, makes me a bit jumpy. I just hope trade up in second round(Branch)+small ILB(Davis) doesn’t equal Daryl Washington.

30. By Stevie on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren, if the Cards traded a third round pick to select Washington, what happened to their 2nd round (58th pick). i am watching and I don’t see them anywhere on the second round board.

31. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Stevie —

They gave up the third to move up 11 spots in the second. The swap of seconds is automatic. The Patriots have their old pick.

32. By Matt in Philly on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

I’ll be curious to see who wins in the alliterative DT/ILB draft: Arizona (Williams & Washington) or Baltimore (Kindle & Cody).

33. By MoJo on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

I said earlier that I hated the fact that we had to part ways with our 3rd rounder but now that I have seen the run on LBs and DEs I believe the Card did them self’s a favor.

34. By ruben on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

washington weights as much as adrian wilson does 230 needs more weight for a lb but i like that pick

35. By ruben on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

HEY DARREN
    DID ANYBODY WIN THAT CHEVRON MOCK DRAFT?

36. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Ruben —

Someone did. But I don’t know who.

37. By Deveau on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

If Ghee is still on the board at 88, do the cards take him to fill the CB need, or do you think they will try and address that later in the draft?

Thanks,

Cris

38. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Deveau —

We will see.

39. By Brian Hatch on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

It does seem a bit steep, but on the other hand, if it is honestly, truly the case that they had Washington at 12 overall on the draft board, which seems shocking, then this was a no-brainer. We desperately need a quality young inside linebacker, and frankly, this draft is a dream.

I’d rather have quality over quantity…. there are only so many starters, after all…

40. By TBru on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Move up to get the guy you wanted, Bravo Mr Graves!

41. By Stevie on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I think I’ misunderstood. We must have traded second round picks and gave up one of our thirds. Is that correct?

42. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Stevie —

Yes. Ultimately it was swapping second-rounders with giving up the third to move up those 11 spots.

43. By OLdude51 on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

you gotta give up something to get something and if you think about it, Dan Williams was a bit of a freebie in that he fell into our lap. So all in all we have done pretty darn well…especially considering how the rest of the west has done! GOOD SOLID DEFENSIVE PLAYERS WHO WILL HELP US A LOT

44. By Don't Take Losses on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren – 12th on the 100 board or the 120 board?

patrick

45. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Dont Take —

Not sure what the 100 board is. I am sure Whisenhunt is talking about the team-specific 120 board.

46. By OLdude51 on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

can ANYONE tell me when we pick next?

47. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

OLdude —

25th pick of the third round.

48. By Don't Take Losses on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren: Thanks. Whiz or Graves said they create two Boards, one with top 100 and one with 120 need considered. So, the 100 Board…

49. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Don’t Take —

Well they have the 120 board. The other board is everyone considered, and I wrote that it was based on a grading scale of 1-100. But it has all the draft picks, not just 100.

50. By Terry Griffin on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Cards need to look at Shipley from Texas as a slot guy with that 3rd rounder they have left

51. By Andre Brice on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, if Colt stays on the board will the wiz at least consider him?

52. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Andre —

Don’t think so.

53. By casey mcr on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

hey darren do you think if mcoy is avalable in the third round the cards would consider him

54. By TBru on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

I am going to go out on a limb and say the Cards take someone named McCoy
    could be Anthony, or Colt

55. By OLdude51 on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Hey OLdude! We got he 88th pick in the 3rd….dummy

56. By tyman on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

looks like good moves so far. Moving up for 13th guy on the board is smart, well worth the late third.

57. By Barry Bond on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

As we know fans the Cards are going defense. If we would of had one in 08 we would of beaten the Steelers in the super bowl. After the D trades and new signings the Cardinals made prior to this years draft and now with the picks of Dan Williams and now Washington our defense has greatly improved from last year. NO MORE 90 points will be scored on us in two play off games anymore! GO CARDS GO and management you are doing a great job. I love it.

58. By Deveau on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren’

Watching the draft unfold, trade down from the 3rd, pick up a couple of 4ths and a 5th. There looks to be a glut of talent to be had. How big a possibility do you see this being. We still have needs to fill and only 4 picks left currently.

My $.02.

Cris

59. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Deveau —

Don’t think so, but we will see.

60. By TBru on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

one McCoy down

61. By TBru on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

here we go…….

62. By dan on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

How can u not take Everson Griffen in the 3rd round? Unbelievable, major disappointment.

63. By TBru on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Roberts, Andre WR 5’11” 195 Citadel

curious pick, I figured offense but lots of WRs ranked higher.

64. By William on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Andre Roberts. Hmmmm.

65. By Deveau on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Andre Roberts, WR. I don’t like this pick for the Cards. I hope one day I can look back on this comment and regret it, but I think we have other needs to address before this one.

My $.04.

Cris

Make me regret it Mr. Roberts, please.

66. By KingCardinal on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

A wr….

Who knows…

67. By Lucas Beckett on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

i’m gueessing Vikings wanted him… ö

68. By Mr. Know It All on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

24 (88) Cardinals (From Ravens)
    Roberts, Andre WR 5’11” 195 Citadel

69. By Don't Take Losses on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren: Great intel. Thanks for the follow up! Didn’t know it had all the picks, wondered about that. I see ESPN uses a 100 point scale too.

Btw, really like Andre Roberts. SI has a thoughtful writeup on him and had him @ 2.69 on their 5.0 scale (the higherst rated receiver was low 3s), but the narrative was pretty glowing.

70. By jason on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Do you see Mr. Lott trying to add weight on him?

71. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Jason —

We’ll see. Usually he’s getting guys to shed a little weight rather than add.

72. By Steve on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Roberts sounds like the return man to get Breaston off the field. A very important pick-up.

As a TCU alumnus and a Cards fan you better believe I love the Washington pick!

73. By Don't Take Losses on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Washington – fastest OLB in draft. Blocked 4 kicks as a Junior when he wasn’t yet a stater on D!

74. By CJ on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

TBru you were right. Great pick!!! Great Draft so far A plus.

75. By Eazy E on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I love this pick. I like how they went out and got who they wanted. Washington is a fast play making LB and was on that great TCU defense.