Reassessing before round two

Posted by Darren Urban on April 23, 2010 – 9:26 am

As promised, there has been plenty of time to think between the end of the rapid-fire first round and day two, which starts at 3 p.m. Arizona time today (6 p.m. EST). And plenty of possibilities before the Cards end up on the clock with the 26th pick. Could they move up? I guess they could, but like yesterday, when they insisted they had no desire to trade up when Dan Williams starting falling because they had multiple players they would be happy with, I think the same goes for today.

ESPN has a pair of second-round mocks up. Mel Kiper has the Cards taking Cincinnati WR Mardy Gilyard. I don’t see that, frankly. Not receiver. Not now. A Scouts.Inc mock led by Todd McShay has the Cards taking TE Rob Gronkowski. Maybe. But that same mock has LB Daryl Washington slipping to the end of the round, and I don’t see that. I think the Cards would jump on him if that were the case. In Kiper’s world, Washington and Washington LB Donald Butler both go before the Cards pick. (Kiper has the Patriots, with a slew of second-round picks, taking both Washington and Gronkowski before the Cards pick). If it unfolds the way Kiper sees it, maybe Penn State’s Sean Lee, an ILB, is the choice.

Bottom line, it’s impossible to judge, because of team needs and scouting. The longer you go in the draft, the more varied each team will be on the players remaining. Unless some surprising mega-talent is sitting there on the Cards’ pick, I think they still go defense, and it still seems likely they go inside linebacker. So think Lee. Or Butler. Or maybe Washington, if he lasts.

As for the third round, my only guess is that a quarterback is a possibility. But if the Cards get a linebacker in round two, they will have options for their two third-round picks.

We’ll see later today.

Tags: , , , , ,

50 Responses to “Reassessing before round two”

1. By Roy on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

I would certainly hope we take Washington (a highly rated OLB we would move to ILB) over a TE. We have TE’s and they are not necessarily important in our offense. ILB is our biggest need and grabbing any of those guys Darren mentioned (especially Washington, he would be a steal) would not be a reach.

2. By John on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Kiper has Gilyard ??? Pray he is wrong. With 3 solid wrs and glaring needs at ILB, OL, CB,TE, How could we take a WR, who is at best a 4th round guy, in the second? Wow that is bad.

I agree with you, a ILB has to be a huge consideration and only a amazing prospect (Sergio Kindle,Rodger Safford, Koa Misi) dropping would change that.

3. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

I can’t imagine us just sitting there and letting Washington go to someone else. We got our NT like we wanted, now go get that linbacker. What else would we use that extra 3rd pick for? really? but, for all I know Washington would be a bust and they have their eye on some 3rd round prospects. whatever happens. GO CARDINALS!!!!

4. By KG on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, are you more excited for today’s picks than yesterday’s pick? I hope the stress of the draft workload isn’t getting to you, you’re doing a great job!

5. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

KG —

Thanks.

To be honest, I don’t get all that jacked up for the draft. New players are coming, and we see how it turns out. I don’t know enough to get too hyped or to trash a pick.

6. By Eddie T on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

darren,

After the draft do you believe the cardinals would let you see the two draft boards and take pictures to give us an idea of what they look at? I have seen cleveland and denver do it before on espn.

7. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Eddie T —

I am guessing not. If they left a player on the board ranked higher than the one they took, I am guessing they don’t want to have fans second-guessing.

8. By Tyler comella on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

What about javier arneas. im not sure if we need anohter db but he could be a good nickel guy in are defence and he can play some special teams. Im not sure if he will be taken in the second round or thrid but would he be a possiblity.

9. By Deveau on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Good morning. I know we still have needs at:
    #1) ILB
    #2) OLB
    #3) OL
    #4) QB & CB.

Do you feel the Cards pull an OT in the 2nd round, and look for both ILB and OLB in the 3rd? Or do they stick with BPA that fills a need? Just looking at the remaining players available at those positions, it seems the drop off is most steep at OT after the 2nd round.

Another bit of my $.02.

Cris

P.S., training camp in Flag, is there a good time to head up? I’m thinking of a Sun, Mon, Tues trip. Thanks.

10. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Cris —

I still think defense will be the round two pick. As for Flag, you want to wait until the schedule comes out and plan from there.

11. By Chris Freeman on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

CB is a huge need,if Cb falls to us , the way kyle wilson almost did that would be great, yes we have greg toler ( hopeful) but we still need depth, i expect sean lee (LB), spikes (lb) gone, pairing DRC with another young talent would be great for the secondary (with the front 3 campbell, dockett, and now dan williams)and allow the LB we already more effective.

but grabbing a lineman is also a huge need as well.

12. By Chris Freeman on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

we can still get a good TE and quality LB in the 3rd round

13. By NYCARDSFAN on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren, whats the deal with the commentators at the draft? Yes I know that Tebow was a big deal ( to everyone else) , but every other team had a ten minute dissertation while they were making their pick, and then a discussion about their pick made by boomer and friends. When it comes to the cards pick, it was like…” oh, and the cardinals pick is williams…and warner left”. Then they move on to the next subject team. And I see all the time even during game broadcasts the commentators seem to be always dogging us. Whats up with that? Is it just me or do you or anyone else see that and know what their issue is?

14. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

NYCards —

I think the worst thing that happened to the Cards was having Tebow go right before their pick. That’s all.

15. By eric c on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Love that Williams fell to us yesterday…great pick there.If the LB’s are gone,I hope USC DE Everson Griffen is there…I like Florida LB Brandon Spikes alot also but I wonder if he is a better fit in a true 4-3 scheme.I’d love Butler to be the pick.Can’t wait to see what happens tonight.Have to love how day one went tho…..Go Cards!!!!!!

16. By Night train on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Two words for the pick in the second round.

Brandon Spikes. A monster, nasty ILB who plays with passion, run stuffer, attitude and is being over looked because of 4.78 40 time. Plug him in to the rotation and the Cardinals will have completed the over haul of the defense and can go get a forth corner and forth receiver/returner in the third round.

Think of the attitude upgrade on defense having Williams, Dockett, Porter, Spikes and Wilson on that defense.

17. By cardssunscats on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Any possible way we would trade our second and a third for Kirk and thier second?

18. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

CardsSuns —

I assume you mean Morrison. And I’d think no.

19. By Sean on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren- Would it be crazy to trade our two 3rd rounders for a 2nd and grab a Kindle or Brown…or does the team really believe in their ability to find another gem in the 3rd round?

20. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Sean —

You better love Kindle or Brown to do that.

21. By kyle on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

ya darren why don’t you even mention brandon spikes name in this article? do you just think there’s no way he lasts that long? or the cardinals just wouldn’t he interested in him?

22. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Kyle —

I’m not sure they love Spikes. And I’m not sure he fits the spot they are trying to fill.

23. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

I thought of Gilyard as a third round choice, but if selected, I’d be hyped. The guy is DeSean Jackson incarnated, not only giving them a great PR but a spread the field guy that the Cards lack.
    That being said, my druthers would be Lee, Spikes or a CB, ILBs don’t seem to be deep in this draft.

24. By Denmark on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Night train B. Spikes didnt run 4.78. He ran 5.03 which is mega slow.

25. By John on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Night Train

When did Spikes run a 40 at 4.78 ?
    The numbers I see from his pro day is 5.05 and 5.15.

To give you an idea of how slow that is, 327 pound Dan Williams was a 5.19, Linval Joseph at 6’5″ and 328lbs ran a 5.08, Lamarr Houston at 305lbs ran a 4.84, Cam Thomas at 6’4″ and 330lbs ran a 5.16.

His 40 is comparable to NT’s. That is very slow. So , the niners run gore out in the flat for a pass, do you want Spikes covering him? How about just dropping back into a zone, can he do it in the NFL? Sure he can hit. I see him like a Jeramiah Trotter. Teams will exploit his lack of speed.

On the flip side, Daryl Washington will grow into being a 250lb linebacker who runs a 4.58 40.

26. By Tucsonaaron on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

I still say bring in Gronkowski he will not disappoint!!

27. By kyle on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

nycardsfan thats how its always been we’re all just used to it..

28. By John on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

For the Morrison supporters;
    Raiders were 29th against the run.
    32 at giving up rushing TD’s
    Gave Morrison a 3rd round tender
    Drafted a guy to take his place.
    No other team was willing to part with a 3 for him.
    No one, as of now, offered any trades (if they did , the raiders would jump on them)

He is no better than Paris Lenon.No upgrade.

29. By kyle on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

john when players gain weight they usually become slower. there’s no way you can say he’s gonna “grow” into a 250 pound linebacker who runs a 4.58. otherwise one could just say oh brandon spikes will just work on his speed and become faster

30. By artvadale on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

You hear anything about the Cards having any interest in Kirk Morrison from the Raiders? Word is they are looking to trade or cut him, given the McClain pick at #8.
    Might make some sense for them to make a call, given their need at inside backer.

31. By Roy on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

We already have Brandon Spikes, his name is Gerald Hayes. We need a more mobile cover type ILB like Dansby. Somebody to play 3rd down. That is why you use the 2nd round pick to get him because their probably won’t be any good ones left in the 3rd or 4th round.

Washington will be a steal if he is there and a no brainer. I agree with Darren, I hope we go defense 100%.

32. By John on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

I do like Washington and Sean Lee with this pick. But any idea how the cards feel about Bowman ?
    He comes up and meets back in the hole as good as anyone in the draft. He is only 6′ and 240 but could play ILB (IMO).
    This guy has talent and could fit our system. Any idea how the guys in the war room feel about him?

33. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

John —

No clue.

34. By bigdaddycardsfan on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

I think the Raiders are going to cut Morrison if they don’t get a pick so I think a 5th rounder might get him. Are the cards interested in him at all?

35. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

BigDaddy —

The Raiders aren’t going to cut Morrison.

36. By John on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Also, with Hayes up in years, could you see the cards call 2 ILB’s out of the next 4 picks?

37. By kyle on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

also john people thought boldins 40 times were too slow too

38. By John on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Kyle,
    I guess its wrong to assume. But Washington has the frame that most scouts believe could add muscle to and still keep his quickness and speed. The same thing happened to Dansby.

But to be truthful, I washington sat around and drank beer for 3 months and gain 20 pounds of fat, he still wouldnt run a 5.05 40. I’m 45 and I think I could run that. Verdleer at 6’8″ and 320 ran faster. Spikes is deathly slow.

39. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

John, Kyle and everyone else —

In the end, what we all think means nothing. It’s what Keim, Graves, the scouts and coaches have decided that matters. I don’t know what that is. I am fairly sure they like Washington better than Spikes. Where they put Spikes compared to others, I don’t know. But I never got a great vibe about him when talking to people.

I can say Bill Davis is close with Urban Meyer, so they know what they need to know, whatever it is.

40. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Watching the highlight video of Dez Bryant last on night on ESPN immediately made me think of Anquan Boldin. They have a VERY similar physique and uncanny ability to get the ball. Also good over the middle. Will be interesting to see how he pans out with Dallas. Too bad his senior season was cut short due to suspension, but at least the suspension wasn’t for drugs or physical abuse (rather, an NCAA rules violation for contact with an agent).

41. By FightOn on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

About Spikes…although we more than likely will not take him, something keeps flashing in my mind…a great college LB was graded as too small and too slow for the NFL, but an NFL team took the chance anyway. Lofa Tatupu has been a great player in the NFL, and made the pro bowl every year he has played. A smart instinctive player will get to his man in plenty of time to make the big play.

42. By John on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Kyle
    Boldin ran in the 4.6’s. he out muscled guys for the ball, found zones to sit down in, learned how to read defenses and set Cbs up to get by guys.You cant hide slow defenders. He is a 2 down LB. Spikesjust is too slow.

43. By Night train on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Darren,

My thing about Spikes is the guy was timed with a cronic bad hamstring, but it’s another one of those “watch the tape” kind of things. He can totally play and I can’t imagine Washington or Butler being there when they pick. If they are, I agree they are superior prospects to Spikes. Who knows, Spikes could drop to the third round and at that point is another huge value pick. In a 3-4 your inside guys don’t have to fly, they are a run plugging tackling machines that usually come out on passing downs. Spikes would fit that bill and bring a vicious attitude.

44. By John on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Ottis for showing us how the Cowboys took a step closer to the superbowl.
    I hate the cowboys, but what a nice pick. I think they are the team to beat. Romo has Austin(he will get a long term deal) and Bryant to throw to for the next 5 years . That sucks

45. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

The thing I remember most about Brandon Spikes was his eye-gouging incident that got him suspended. He probably would be doing time if his cowardly cheap shot had left his defenseless victim blind.

46. By K-DUB on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

If the cards get a QB in the 3rd or later round will we not re-sign Brian St.P.

47. By mike b on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    what do you this of this mock 2-3rd round draft

2. Charles Brown (OT) if he is not there then Lee or Washington

3a. Skelton or Pike for QB
    3b. a TE such as pitta or even Jordan Shipley (I dont thik we will adress the WR problem here though but i do like shipley)

48. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Mike B —

I think they are going to have a LB by then.

49. By Kasdan on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

I would love to see us pickup Colt McCoy if he is still available for our second round pick. I know we need a LB and CB but that is a value pick and some serious potential that you can’t pass up!

50. By CJ on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

We got 2 guys who could have went 1 round but 1 did and other when the 2 round. Dan is ranked 15 and Washington is ranked 30.