DRC “65 percent” but efforting

Posted by Darren Urban on May 1, 2010 – 3:02 pm

When Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie was first hurt against the Saints in the playoffs, he was shaken. Even after he had his knee surgery and started rehab, DRC clearly wasn’t 100 percent sure what that meant for his recovery.

But he has been out working with the starters in minicamp, taking what has looked like every snap he should even though he is still coming back. “I’m like at 65 percent,” DRC said. “I am glad no one is really taking me deep out there. It’s a lot of intermediate routes so so far, I’m doing good. I am really anxious to open up and really get the feel of it.”

Coach Ken Whisenhunt acknowledged he is encouraged by DRC’s effort. “You see desire in Dominique that is exciting.,” he said. “The fact he is pushing to be out here is a great sign. It’s what you work to get your team to do.”

DRC needs all the work, still. He remains blunt when talking about himself and his game, even with a Pro Bowl in his pocket. “When I watched film (Friday), the coach still corrected me on everything,” he said. “I am still just a guy who relies on his talent more than anything else. I still have a lot to learn from a technical standpoint.”

Rodgers-Cromartie should be healed by training camp. His health is crucial given the current state of the cornerbacks and an overall lack of experience. DRC knows this, and was ready to try practice this week.

“I at least try to do everything because it lets me know how far I still have to go, how much work I still have,” DRC said.

Tags: ,

32 Responses to “DRC “65 percent” but efforting”

1. By Daniel Enfield on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Has DRC put on some weight. His upper body looks bigger.

2. By darrenurban on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Daniel —

I do think he looks thicker up top.

3. By Sebastian Blax on May 1, 2010 | Reply

DRC is a good kid. I wish him the best.

Also, as a DRC jersey-wearer, I feel I have a bit of a personal investment in his success.

4. By moe on May 1, 2010 | Reply

DARREN SHOULD THEY REALLY BE LETTING HIM PRACTICE I UNDERSTAND IN THE FIRE AND DESIRE TO BE IN THERE WITH THE REST OF THE TEAM AND WANTING TO KNOW WHERE HE IS AS FAR AS THE RECOVERY PROCESS GOES BUT WHAT IF HE TWEAKS IT ALL THAT RECOVERY JUST WENT DOWN THE DRAIN AND ALSO HOW IS TOLER LOOKING OUT THEIR I KNOW ITS HARD TO JUDGE FROM JUST 2 MINI CAMPS ANY UPDATES AND WHAT ABOUT BRINGING IN ANOTHER VETERAN RECEIVER TO THE LOCKER ROOM LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK

5. By darrenurban on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Moe —

I know it’s just print but man, does all caps seem like someone is shouting.

I doubt they get a vet receiver. They can only keep so many and they just spent a third-rounder on a WR. Toler is doing OK, but it is too early to know.

As for DRC, I think he’s a guy that should be practicing. He needs to test it out. He’s been medically cleared. You can’t protect it forever.

6. By beauwinden on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

I think Moe meant to ask if there’s a chance of bringing in a veteran corner.

From the sounds of it, having DRC is good, but then Toler who looks good but just has 1 year of experience, not even starting, and behind them we have veteran corners who are physically ungifted, and 2 rookies, one from the 6th round and the other undrafted. Sounds to me like CB is our most pressing need for having a veteran right now.

7. By darrenurban on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Beau —

A lot is explained in here: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-1/Leadership-Around-The-Corner/941e6a07-6737-43b2-9e55-d5479a437b30

8. By AZfAn808 on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    I have two questions
    When they say veteran can you give an example of who that pertains too?
    Also, if DRC is at 65% does that mean physically or skillfully?
    Thank you for the hard work and dedication.

9. By darrenurban on May 1, 2010 | Reply

AzFan —

Not sure what you mean by “when they say veteran.” Who?

That is DRC’s evaluation. I assume it means physically.

10. By AZfAn808 on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    Well what kinda of non-bigname veteran are they talking about?

11. By darrenurban on May 4, 2010 | Reply

AzFan —

They aren’t talking about anyone. I am surmising based on the situation.

12. By Skiptim on May 1, 2010 | Reply

I’ve spent 30 minutes a day since for a couple weeks now, and might have figured out what your account is on forums.azcardinals.comt. Is your account “Thesmel”?

For serious though, is it “Cards Radio?” (disregard last comment, forgot the other “)

13. By Paul on May 1, 2010 | Reply

As Darren has said, it’s very early but Derek Anderson looks like he will give Matt a run for his money. Has a very nice pass. You hate to have pre-season games decide your QB but that’s what it could come down to. Matt had some nice throws today too so it should be fun in Flagstaff.

14. By AndyStandsUp on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Last season, DRC was portrayed as a “Peter Pan” type with the coloring books and Dora backpacks.
    Was that an act, false rumors or a glimpse into the guy’s psyche?

15. By darrenurban on May 1, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

I think it’s a bit of a glimpse.

16. By darrenurban on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Skip —

Cards Radio, I believe, is Jim Omohundro.

17. By Skiptim on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Wowsers, okay then, I thought I might have had it. So, a hint perhaps?

18. By darrenurban on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Skip —

What’s the fun in that?

19. By wampag on May 1, 2010 | Reply

hey D is Deuce done with us whats going on with that?

20. By darrenurban on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

Have no idea.

21. By Don't Take Losses on May 1, 2010 | Reply

5783 votes on this website in today’s poll. Wow, that’s a lot fans tuning in…in April.

Btw, Whiz is no dummie…he may just think that Calvin really can play and that Toler will surprise. Must also think the play by Adams to end the GB game was no fluke. Adams is tenacious, even if lacking a bit in technique. The CB situation is very intriguing, as we are so deep in so many other spots.

Seems we are a little light at ILB too…Hayes concerns, as we suffered against the run when he went down.

Giddyup Cards.

22. By Skiptim on May 1, 2010 | Reply

I’ve heard that one before! I’ve come to the conclusion that for you, the fun in not saying is equivalent to Darnell Dockett intercepting a pass from Alex Smith. Unfortunately, it leaves the little people like myself sitting here desperately and pathetically trying to find out a shred of information on a little thing that said desperate person has attached onto and created into a ridiculously meaningless life goal. But there might be some fun in giving a false hint.

A question. Sort of an “insider” thing that would seem interesting to me. When the mayor called Anquan Boldin “Antwon” during the rally heading to the Super Bowl at the Airport, did you catch that, and if so, did any of the players or coaches mention anything about it that you heard?

23. By darrenurban on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Skip —

First of all, It’s been a while since I posted anything. Your quest might in the end be a a large letdown.

As for the other thing, unfortunately, Boldin had his name butchered multiple times while in Arizona. One time, we had a conference call during the season (I think it was Darrell Jackson of Seattle, but Darrell, forgive me if i misremember) who was asked about Boldin, and he told us they were friends because both were from Florida — and he still called him “Antwon.”

24. By sign90now on May 2, 2010 | Reply

hey Darren, with Toler as 2nd string on depth chart right now, does that mean he wouldn’t be goin up against FITZ yet?

I think the only way Toler gets better as a CB is by making him go against FITZ all spring and summer long!

If Anderson could beat Leinart out in training camp, would we then just ship Matty to the Seahwaks and end up getting Whitehurst in the end anyways… wouldnt that be IRONIC!!!

OF COURSE, I think Matt can come in and tear it up, especially not having to look over his shoulder at a HofFamer anymore!

25. By darrenurban on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Sign90 —

You are correct — right now, Fitz seems to be going against Adams in most drills.

26. By DRC#1FAN on May 2, 2010 | Reply

GEET BETTER MY MAN!!!! and bring in someone for the other side no toler or adams as starters. they are both good, for second string.

27. By moe on May 2, 2010 | Reply

darren yea i was not paying attention to the cap size to late when i realized but anyway you do have a point and if we were to go the route of a veteran cb who would it be

28. By darrenurban on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Moe —

No idea right now.

29. By BobF on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Sorry Moe – some punctuation too please.

30. By Jerrytown on May 2, 2010 | Reply

As far as depth goes on a pro football team, you can’t possibly be strong at every position. Even the greatest teams in the league have a few thin spots. The mark of a solid team is being able to use your strongest positions to mask the weaker areas. It’s not always a bad thing though. Us being “thin” at CB or ILB provides an opportunity for someone young to step up and prove themselves to be a surprise player, which they never would be able to do if you try to patch every hole with vets that are probably on the downside of their careers. Just a thought

31. By Anthony on May 5, 2010 | Reply

I just met DRC at my gas station the other day. When I spoke to him he actually talked to me like a friend. I forgot to tell him one thing! THE CARDS NEED YOU!!! keep up the work!

2. May 1, 2010: [Cardinals] Cardinals CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Practicing Despite Being Injury