Levi likes the left

Posted by Darren Urban on May 1, 2010 – 8:54 am

Coach Ken Whisenhunt has talked about the offensive line undergoing changes, and bringing in Alan Faneca and losing Mike Gandy made that obvious. But of the incumbents, switching Levi Brown from right tackle to left tackle is the biggest storyline. But Levi (below talking to Whisenhunt while stretching  before Friday’s first minicamp practice) likes the idea a lot, especially after playing there his whole life before arriving in the NFL.

“I was hoping they’d do it earlier,”  Brown said. “I was hoping I’d be there to begin with. I don’t know what direction they were trying to go, but I’m here now.”

It’s a little like going home, Brown said. “The only thing that is weird right now is switching the plays over. When they say an even number, I am used to thinking it is right, now I am on the backside of it.”

One aspect that left many wondering why Brown was moved — in theory, the former No. 1 pick is your top tackle. With a left-handed quarterback in Matt Leinart, wouldn’t Brown make more sense staying put and protecting Leinart’s blind side? In the end, Whisenhunt doesn’t put as much stock in the “blind side” equation.

“I don’t know if necessarily matters that Matt is a left-handed quarterback, because generally the best pass rushers in this league are on the left side,” Whisenhunt said. “A lot of times it’s difficult for those guys to switch over because you get used to rushing off of an edge. From that standpoint, maybe it will be easier because if that’s what happens the strongest rush will come from your face instead of your backside, so you have a better chance of seeing it. Until we get into that situation and see how teams will plays us, it’s really hard to say.”

Tags: , ,

14 Responses to “Levi likes the left”

1. By Barry on May 1, 2010 | Reply

I love the depth on our O-line. I’m glad we can switch guys out and back and forth so much. Lots of talent out there compared to years back! Go Cards!!
    (off the topic)I just wish we had that much depth at CB.

2. By We'll miss Q on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Well considering how some games Levi was dominated by what I guess is that teams 2nd best pass rusher, I for one am very concerned that he will now be facing everyone’s BEST.

3. By Mike D on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren, any idea what’s going on with Deuce? Has his agent made any comments about the current situation?

4. By darrenurban on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Mike D —

Both Deuce and his agent have been mum on the topic.

5. By ruben on May 1, 2010 | Reply

wats the deal with deuce does he wants to be a cardinal or does he wants to be some where else.darren whats ur guess with deuce do you see him here?we know you are pretty good guessing

6. By Don't Take Losses on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren: Has Lott trained with Faneca yet? Porter??

7. By darrenurban on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Don’t Take —

Faneca just got here Thursday. Porter has been a part of workouts on and off since they started.

8. By Josh on May 1, 2010 | Reply

am I being a little paranoid here, or..

shouldn’t he be giving away that info? even number calls at the line of scrimmage – and thereby identifying at least the direction of the upcoming play – will give the defense an advantage, no?

9. By darrenurban on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Josh —

Well, I am guessing that never gets announced at the line, only in the huddle.

10. By Josh on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Well, I am guessing that never gets announced at the line, only in the huddle.

…unless it’s an audible at the line. but still… a wily defensive end in a situation like say, Dockett vs. a snap count, could wreak havoc with that kind of info.

just sayin’. 🙂

11. By Eazy E on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Our o-line should be nice this year. Great depth and should be a strength finally.

12. By AndyStandsUp on May 1, 2010 | Reply

What’s the chances of saying, perhaps, a sign and trade with Lutui for Baltimore’s RFA FB Le’ Ron McClain?
    It would give AZ a much needed ProBowl fullback and the Ravens an upgrade over Marshal Yandl, who is smaller, made only half the starts in the same period, and provide Flacco with another guard to help protect against passes to Q and Mason.
    Ah, it’s good to play fantasy football. Too bad Reality Bites.(good movie)

13. By shannonrobinson on May 2, 2010 | Reply

There is stature within the NFL for Left Tackles. Levi is a left tackle and deserves to play his natural position. He is an extraordinary football player.

14. By JakePlummer716 on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Josh- If you noticed in the nfl, defenses already know that your going to run the ball and for the most part where. the hard part is stopping it, even if they do “audible” with an even or odd number at the line, which they hardly ever do, and even less likely they audible a run to a different run… If you’ve ever played football you’d know that almost every offense calls even numbers to run right and odd to run left. thats just the way it is. Go play a game of madden. Go watch some film of dansby or wilson from last year, they’ll be pointing and yelling where the other team is going to run the ball, they know it coming and where- the hard part is stopping it! Another great player to watch who is a perfect example is ray lewis of the ravens, he knows where every play is going.