Porter at home

Posted by Darren Urban on July 18, 2010 – 9:30 am

It’s the time of year when player are spending the last couple weeks in their hometowns — if they don’t live in the Valley — before coming back to Tempe for the grind of the NFL season. For linebacker Joey Porter, that means hanging out in Bakersfield, Calif., which is where he lives. The Bakersfield Californian did a story on Porter at home today, describing why he remains there.

Porter also talked about why he is happy to be a Cardinal — “It’s the best fit for me, for me and my family. (Coach Ken Whisenhunt) knows me, I know him. He knows exactly what he’s getting out of me” — and his wife Christy talked about Porter’s reputation — “He is who he is. And a lot of times, that’s a villain on the football field. But there’s another side a lot of people don’t get to see.”

Tags:

16 Responses to “Porter at home”

1. By DRC#1FAN on Jul 18, 2010 | Reply

Preople try to tell me ol’ Joey is just washed up. What do they know, the guy had what, 17 sacks 2 seasons ago and at least 9 last year, which is what Campbell and Dockett had. I am a lil worried about our middle LB’s. but, Our OLB’s couldnt be better, I dont think. Haggans, Porter and 3 young studs who are dyinng to make a name for themselves, 2 rookies from last year and of course our 4th pick from this year.

2. By OLdude on Jul 18, 2010 | Reply

Even though I like to give preseason prognosticators and “experts” as little credence as possible, it is nonetheless aggravating and worrisome when I see an article like the one I just read that ranks the Cards LB corp. as the 31st best in the NFL just ahead of St. Louis . The rationale behind the statement was the EXTREME AGE of the unit. Way below the top 5 ranked Niners and even further below the Steelers and Cowboys. Am I being a bit biased when I ask “doesn’t that go hand in hand with EXTREME EXPERIENCE” or IS it all bad? Have the guys making up our LB corp. deteriorated to the point that no amount of wisdom and cunning that comes with age can make up for the fact that they are just this side of “dinosaurhood”?

3. By Don't Take Losses on Jul 18, 2010 | Reply

Good linked article. I like J Pezey a lot. I see why Whiz got him. Bravo.

4. By cardattac on Jul 18, 2010 | Reply

Dude this guy is a beast!!! Look at those arms…. I cant wait to see the power and excitement he will bring on the field. Not to mention the extra boost he will give to all the players around him. This group of guys on D Will be a powerhouse of sacks, fumble recoveries, interceptions and three and outs…. Just wait and see:)

GO CARDS!!!!

5. By cardattac on Jul 18, 2010 | Reply

Oh yeah…. Off the subject…. I was at the Mayhem tour on Friday at the cricket Pavilion. I know it may sound funny but I counted 12 Cards hats and three shirts!!! There isn’t a day that goes by I dont see a cards sticker, hat or shirt on someone or there car in Tucson. I have always looked for fans like me and now I can finally stop tyrin cuz there all over the place!!!

Once again…. GO CARDS!!!

6. By moe on Jul 18, 2010 | Reply

good stuff a menace on the field and a family man off the field thats cool hopefully he reaches double digit sacks that would be great

7. By Scott H on Jul 18, 2010 | Reply

I admit, I wasn’t thrilled with Porter getting himself in trouble right after signing with the Cards and I perhaps over-reacted at the time. I hope he can keep himself out of such situations going forward, but since it apparently turned out to be no big deal, I look forward to seeing him doing his thing for our defense! The man can still play at a very high level, no doubt about that. With him, Nine 0, and Cambell on the field together, we’ve got some serious get-to-the-QB power and, well…that’s a beautiful thing! Our defense’s ability to make big plays starts with them, so…I say, Welcome aboard, Joey!

8. By Richard S on Jul 18, 2010 | Reply

Being as how he’s from Bakersfield, I wonder if he’s a Buck Owens fan, having walked the streets of Bakersfield.

9. By CMacyn on Jul 18, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    Seeing how we have 10 WR on the roster I was curious, how many WRs do you see us keeping in on the 53 man roster and on practice squad? Thanks D GO CARDINALS!!!!!

10. By darrenurban on Jul 18, 2010 | Reply

CMac —

Little early to know. Best guess: Five on active roster, one or two on practice squad.

11. By Cardsfan928 on Jul 18, 2010 | Reply

I think getting Porter was great, but not so much for on the field production…I feel he and faneca have both lost more than a couple steps in their respective games; however having said that porter will bring a much needed swagger to the LB’s like Adub does for the DB’s and Dockett for the DL…Faneca will bring a much needed nastiness out of our Olinemen I believe…I predict 11-5 this year…Enter the era of Cardinals Smashmouth

12. By mikeso on Jul 18, 2010 | Reply

CANT WAIT TO SEE J P IN ACTION LETS DO IT D!

13. By KENNETH on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

Nice linked article Darren, it was very informative. I support Joey Porter to the fullest. Sometimes things like that happen (Taco bell incident), but you have to overcome that like Joey did. Plus the officer had a DUI himself, hypocrites I tell you. Okay, Darren, do you think Joey will have more sacks and rush the passer better than Karlos did? thanks man……Lets sweep the 9ers this year……

14. By darrenurban on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

Kenneth —

Yes, Porter will have more sacks, but they play different positions. Karlos was on the inside and Joey will be on the outside. If Karlos had played on the edge, he would have had more sacks than he did.

15. By K-DUB on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

This Defense should be on fire this year with all the leaders that we have. We got Dockett on the the line, Porter with the backers, and Wilson in the secondary. At least for motivational purposes. Also Offense will be different but will have the same impact. This is a perfect combo of Whiz from Pitt and Matt from USC. A good line with a good running backs. We will be time managers now, and control the games. See you guys in Flagstaff.

16. By AMcGill on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

we goin all the way this year thats a promise