Tidbits in the rain UPDATE

Posted by Darren Urban on August 1, 2010 – 1:45 pm

It’s raining again here in Flagstaff. Hopefully it will stop soon and clear up enough for what is supposed to be the first fully-padded practice of camp later this afternoon. Otherwise they’ll have to go inside, which usually means less contact. The Cards had a quiet morning, with players working out on their own and without meetings. It’ll be the last day like that for a while.

In the meantime:

— We are still looking for Cardinals’ fans to send in pictures in which you are wearing Cardinals’ gear. You could have been anywhere. The top pics will go into a special page in the game program for each of the 10 home games. Send your shots to photos@cardinals.nfl.net. You must put your name and town from where you are from, and the photos will be chosen based on size and photo quality.

— I know a lot of people are looking for daily opinions of how this guy or that guy looked. I will make mention of specifics I notice but for the most part, I’m not a big believe in the what-did-he-do-today report. These guys are human. If John Skelton overthrows a couple of receivers, it doesn’t mean he has no hope of developing into an NFL QB. If it’s a pattern — or if guys already on the hot seat are doing really well or really not — I’ll make note. But I’m not going overboard here.

— Until we have a chance to catch up with everyone later, here is this anecdote from Matt Leinart on his role in getting Terrell Owens to play for the Bengals (Let me explain). Seems Owens and Leinart have known each other for a few years, and obviously Leinart knows Cincinnati QB Carson Palmer from their days at USC. Leinart got both to attend a charity event this offseason and then let T.O. know he and Palmer, among others, would be working out together in California. Owens decided to take part, he and Palmer hit it off, and Palmer went to bat for Owens to be signed with the Bengals.

“I really do feel partly responsible for that,” Leinart said with a grin. “The rest is history. I think I started the friendship there.”

So for now, get your popcorn ready … for practice this afternoon. As I have been writing this, the rain is letting up. We’ll keep our fingers crossed. UPDATE: No such luck. Wet fields are forcing the Cardinals to practice inside this afternoon.

Tags: , , ,

16 Responses to “Tidbits in the rain UPDATE”

1. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

If the practices are conducted inside, are the renovations to the Walkup in any way a hindrance? They had to move the night practices to Coconino High School and in the conditioning run showed yesterday(loved the Bill Bidwell video, BTW) the field looked “spongy”.
    Thanks for the updates, Darren, and watch out for Sando and crew; heard he’s predicting a team other than the Cards to win the NFC West.

2. By darrenurban on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

There are renovations to Lumberjack Stadium, an outdoor facility which is why they are moving to Coconino. Walkup Skydome is untouched.

3. By Darrens friend on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

Do you know if there is a website where I can watch preseason games from last year? Or regular season games if they have them. Thanks in advance.

4. By darrenurban on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

Darrens friend —

Not that I know of, unless there is something through NFL.com.

5. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

Thanks, Darren.
    Kinda hard to post with my toes stuck between my teeth(don’t know why I thought the SkyDome was being repaired).
    Any further action on Dan Williams? Other than Jerry Hughes w/Colts, Williams is the highest unsigned player.(Other than Sergio Kindle who did a Jerry Ford.)

6. By darrenurban on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

It’s coming. He’ll be in soon enough.

7. By Kurt on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

Matt might rue the day he claimed responsible for introducing Carson & TO, come mid season Carson better check his back for T.O.’s knife.

8. By Brandon on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

Why cant they practice outside with a wet field wouldnt that if anything help for road games outdoors with wet fields?

9. By darrenurban on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

Brandon —

Maybe. It could also cause a guy like Fitz to rip up his knee and miss the season.

10. By TBru on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

Glad Matty didn’t use his influence to bring T.O. to Arizona lol

11. By TBru on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

I know if you subscribe to MLBTV.com you can watch virtually any game ever televised. I don’t know if the NFL is the same or not.

12. By card62 on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Thats nice Matt now workout with your other USC buddy Duece Lutui so that you can face second and 5 instead of second and 9 and have him keep you upright when you go back to pass. GO Cards

2. Aug 1, 2010: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com
  3. Aug 1, 2010: Defense, not Leinart biggest question for Arizona – SI.com | Flagstaff Today
  4. Aug 1, 2010: Defense, not Leinart biggest question for Arizona – Victoria Advocate | Flagstaff Today
  5. Aug 2, 2010: Departures, arrivals make defence biggest question facing Cardinals – The Canadian Press | Flagstaff Today