Williams deal closer

Posted by Darren Urban on August 1, 2010 – 9:33 pm

I know a lot of people are wondering when No. 1 pick Dan Williams is going to sign. I traded texts with general manager Rod Graves tonight and he said “we made progress today.” Graves soft-pedals many details in these cases because with contracts — especially first-rounders — there are lots of i’s to dot and t’s to cross. But yesterday he simply told me there was no deal yet, so if he said progress was made today, I get the sense that’s a significant step forward.

I think I have mentioned to a few fans that until we get to Tuesday and Williams isn’t signed yet, then you worry. The bottom line is Williams has only missed two practices. Even if he misses tomorrow, that’s just four in the grand scheme, and with as hard as Williams worked this summer, I have zero concern he’d make up missed time very quickly.

UPDATE: In the middle of the night, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Williams and the Cards had agreed on a five-year deal.

Tags: , ,

14 Responses to “Williams deal closer”

1. By Skiptim on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

Hey, what happened to the “Whisenhunt presser training camp day 2” video? I was trying to load it and it wouldn’t, then I refresh, and it isn’t even a video now.

2. By darrenurban on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

Skiptim —

I will look into it. … Turns out there are technical difficulties. We are trying to fix it.

3. By Dan on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

Looks like Dan Williams will sign on Monday….sweet. Hey Darren, how does Alfonso Smith look at RB? He’s has a major battle but he has talent.

4. By darrenurban on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

Dan —

I think it’s going to be tough for Smith to make this team.

5. By Dan on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

It will be tough for Alfonso Smith but he make his impact on special teams coverage. It’s going to be interesting.

6. By Tony on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Just read on profootballtalk.com that Williams has agreed to a 5 year deal and will be in camp today..great news

7. By Blake on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

I was out at Training camp on Saturday and Wanted to know who #36 is ?

8. By darrenurban on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Blake —

That is RB LaRod Stephens-Howling.

9. By Tyrelle on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Hey D.U, are the Cardinals considering bringing in a vet LB and DB for competition?

10. By darrenurban on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Tyrelle —

Not right now.

11. By card62 on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Dan Williams signed.
    Outstanding. Mr. Graves all the rookies signed and all of our veterans in camp.
    Now we focus on football and football only and pray no one is injured.
    Go Cards!!! I love fall and football so I can not wait for the season to start, but our preaseason should also be very interesting.

2. Aug 1, 2010: Dan Williams contract talks progressing | Fantasy Demon
  3. Aug 1, 2010: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com
  4. Aug 2, 2010: Dan Williams / Cardinals agreed to terms with first-round NT Dan Williams on a five-year deal. Williams is expected | Sporty Twits